42nd and Leavenworth construction?
-
DTmatt
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:57 am
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
I was driving near my house and saw that that white warehouse-looking building on 42nd and Leavenworth has been completely demolished. Does anyone know what they plan to do with that area of land, if anything? Also, does anyone know what that building was used for? I always thought that it was a blight to that area, so no complaints from me that its gone now. :lol:
Also, there is a fenced-off area of dirt with some construction vehicles in it near 38th and Leavenworth, right to the east of Armstrong Cleaners. Does anyone know what is being constructed there?
I'm going to try to get some pictures of these two areas this afternoon. I drive by these places almost daily but always forget to bring a camera.
Also, there is a fenced-off area of dirt with some construction vehicles in it near 38th and Leavenworth, right to the east of Armstrong Cleaners. Does anyone know what is being constructed there?
I'm going to try to get some pictures of these two areas this afternoon. I drive by these places almost daily but always forget to bring a camera.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
I've been wondering about them as well.
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
That building held the UNMC mailroom as well as some other offices. I believe UNMC decided to tear it down to put something better there (not sure what). The mailroom and other offices have moved to a new location.
An inside source I know talked about a new outpatient tower for UNMC, but I have no idea if this is at all related.
An inside source I know talked about a new outpatient tower for UNMC, but I have no idea if this is at all related.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
My gut tells me it will be surface parking... At least in the short term. 
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
Probably, but luckily UNMC is good at adding new development. I'm sure they'll find good use of that land before long.StreetsOfOmaha wrote:My gut tells me it will be surface parking... At least in the short term.
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
The land might be used for a new medical office building and clinic. That's all that anyone really knows at this point. Nothing is official yet, though. I'll post an update if I get one.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036582
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
That is the Geriatric center location. I need to merge this thread to the other Geriatric thread.
Also the plastics building will come down next for the eye center.
Also the plastics building will come down next for the eye center.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
Are you sure? I know they used to be located there but thought they moved awhile ago. I could easily be wrong, though.
-
windsor
- Human Relations
- Posts: 815
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:04 am
- Location: Omaha
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
I think its time for one of you to get a photo update!
where the corn meets the concrete
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:15 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
Whatever happened to Destination Midtown's plans to raise all the housing from 37th to 42nd and Leavenworth? I read it in the paper a few years back when I actually lived in the area.
-
windsor
- Human Relations
- Posts: 815
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:04 am
- Location: Omaha
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
How many houses are actually left along there, 4 or 5?
where the corn meets the concrete
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:15 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
Probably closer to ten, I believe.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
Ummm. That's insane. Destination Midtown certainly never proposed just "raising all the housing from 37th to 42nd and Leavenworth."S33 wrote:Whatever happened to Destination Midtown's plans to raise all the housing from 37th to 42nd and Leavenworth? I read it in the paper a few years back when I actually lived in the area.
-
windsor
- Human Relations
- Posts: 815
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:04 am
- Location: Omaha
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
I would guess that if they are torn down its because UNMC wants the land.StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Ummm. That's insane. Destination Midtown certainly never proposed just "raising all the housing from 37th to 42nd and Leavenworth."S33 wrote:Whatever happened to Destination Midtown's plans to raise all the housing from 37th to 42nd and Leavenworth? I read it in the paper a few years back when I actually lived in the area.
where the corn meets the concrete
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:15 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Ummm. That's insane. Destination Midtown certainly never proposed just "raising all the housing from 37th to 42nd and Leavenworth."S33 wrote:Whatever happened to Destination Midtown's plans to raise all the housing from 37th to 42nd and Leavenworth? I read it in the paper a few years back when I actually lived in the area.
Actually, no, it's not insane. It was at least proposed, and to what purpose it was for I do not know(I think they may have proposed some type of row housing). I read it in the OWH and it was said to be part of a very large revitalization plan. I wouldn't pull that out of my |expletive|.
-
windsor
- Human Relations
- Posts: 815
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:04 am
- Location: Omaha
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
Are you talking about this project just off of Leavenworth?
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8681
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8681
where the corn meets the concrete
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
This is a case where having the article to back it up would be helpful.
I've never heard of such a proposal. Besides, the way you phrased it made it sound like they simply proposed tearing down the houses... not in conjunction with any kind of redevelopment project. Plus, I find it VERY hard to believe the DM would propose just decimating blocks of authentic vernacular housing in the name of "redevelopment".
If you can track down the article, I'd be VERY interested in reading it.
I've never heard of such a proposal. Besides, the way you phrased it made it sound like they simply proposed tearing down the houses... not in conjunction with any kind of redevelopment project. Plus, I find it VERY hard to believe the DM would propose just decimating blocks of authentic vernacular housing in the name of "redevelopment".
If you can track down the article, I'd be VERY interested in reading it.
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:15 pm
42nd and Leavenworth construction?
Yeah, the city wanted to tear down the homes for a block of grass.StreetsOfOmaha wrote:This is a case where having the article to back it up would be helpful.
I've never heard of such a proposal. Besides, the way you phrased it made it sound like they simply proposed tearing down the houses... not in conjunction with any kind of redevelopment project. Plus, I find it VERY hard to believe the DM would propose just decimating blocks of authentic vernacular housing in the name of "redevelopment".
If you can track down the article, I'd be VERY interested in reading it.
Maybe you can talk to the OWH about keeping larger archives, I don't really care enough to carry the burden of proof. It was simply a question and now I have an answer...period.
Authentic Vernacular? Many of them have college kids living in there. (I was at one point) lol, god forbid someone tear down one of them homes.