And yet, I'm 99% certain that Creighton's soccer team outdraws its baseball team, at least as average attendance goes.Brad wrote:I know lots of people to go to all the Creighton Baseball and Basketball. I don't know a single person that has gone to a soccer match.agibson95 wrote:We all love our Creighton soccer teams, dont we? Im sure we would support an MLS team with the same enthusiasm.Brad wrote:Not only was I thinking that... I was also thinking that if we can't support a AHL team.... Minor league Soccer?Big E wrote:?agibson95 wrote:Omaha is a Soccer Town!
Creighton Campus Development
-
OmahaBen
- Human Relations
- Posts: 561
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:38 pm
Creighton Campus Development
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Creighton Campus Development
Its not even close, Creighton Soccer lead the nation last year w/ 3,000 per game. Creighton baseball is lucky to get 700, plus the inflation due to the Rosenblatt games.OmahaBen wrote:And yet, I'm 99% certain that Creighton's soccer team outdraws its baseball team, at least as average attendance goes.Brad wrote:I know lots of people to go to all the Creighton Baseball and Basketball. I don't know a single person that has gone to a soccer match.agibson95 wrote:We all love our Creighton soccer teams, dont we? Im sure we would support an MLS team with the same enthusiasm.Brad wrote:Not only was I thinking that... I was also thinking that if we can't support a AHL team.... Minor league Soccer?Big E wrote:?agibson95 wrote:Omaha is a Soccer Town!
-
cp jay 07
- Human Relations
- Posts: 734
- Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:31 am
Creighton Campus Development
Well when Baseball gets there shiny new 3,000 seat on campus stadium in 5-10 years we should hopefully be outdrawing soccer. Morrison is great but CU needs to look at Morrison and then look at the complex, why does one team get a palace and the other have to play in a dump.OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Its not even close, Creighton Soccer lead the nation last year w/ 3,000 per game. Creighton baseball is lucky to get 700, plus the inflation due to the Rosenblatt games.
-
OmahaBen
- Human Relations
- Posts: 561
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:38 pm
Creighton Campus Development
Because prior to Morrison Stadium, the soccer team played 30 minutes from campus at Tranquility? They clearly needed a new facility first; it wasn't a slight to baseball. I'd rather Creighton build one palace at a time than give every sport a bunch of mediocre upgrades that represent nothing more than the equivilient of lipstick on a pig, to borrow a phrase from the recent election.cp jay 07 wrote:Well when Baseball gets there shiny new 3,000 seat on campus stadium in 5-10 years we should hopefully be outdrawing soccer. Morrison is great but CU needs to look at Morrison and then look at the complex, why does one team get a palace and the other have to play in a dump.OmahaJaysCU wrote:Its not even close, Creighton Soccer lead the nation last year w/ 3,000 per game. Creighton baseball is lucky to get 700, plus the inflation due to the Rosenblatt games.
Also, the "inflation" of the Rosenblatt games makes is not negligible. Due to that inflation, baseball averages in the neighborhood of 2,700/game.
-
cp jay 07
- Human Relations
- Posts: 734
- Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:31 am
Creighton Campus Development
Don't get me wrong the soccer team needed Morrison, I love Morrison, it got me to go to soccer games and find out that it is a pretty cool sport. But for a while now, going back all the way to when the university first came out with the new master plan in the early 2000's, a new baseball stadium has been on the map. At first the new complex was supposed to be north of the old one on Burt street, then they moved it down by Morrison, now they are saying its going to be on the east side of the Ryan center and we will play at the New Downtown field first, which is a disaster waiting to happen. As a Creighton baseball fan, the few there are, I am getting sick of being told that a new stadium is coming and then never having it delivered. The Complex is an embarrassment for a program that I would say is top 50 in the nation and is nationally known. Espn.com had a blurb on it in their CWS section saying it is the worst division 1 field in America. I am hoping that in at least 10 years Creighton will have a new baseball stadium.OmahaBen wrote:Because prior to Morrison Stadium, the soccer team played 30 minutes from campus at Tranquility? They clearly needed a new facility first; it wasn't a slight to baseball. I'd rather Creighton build one palace at a time than give every sport a bunch of mediocre upgrades that represent nothing more than the equivilient of lipstick on a pig, to borrow a phrase from the recent election.cp jay 07 wrote:Well when Baseball gets there shiny new 3,000 seat on campus stadium in 5-10 years we should hopefully be outdrawing soccer. Morrison is great but CU needs to look at Morrison and then look at the complex, why does one team get a palace and the other have to play in a dump.OmahaJaysCU wrote:Its not even close, Creighton Soccer lead the nation last year w/ 3,000 per game. Creighton baseball is lucky to get 700, plus the inflation due to the Rosenblatt games.
Also, the "inflation" of the Rosenblatt games makes is not negligible. Due to that inflation, baseball averages in the neighborhood of 2,700/game.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Creighton Campus Development
The New CU Sports Arena from the web cam:



Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4330
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Creighton Campus Development
you know, all they need is a few bars and restaurants near campus and it could be quite the party university ;)
Go Cubs Go
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm
Creighton Campus Development
They have a place that sells alcohol on campus, but I hear they limit you to one drink an hour. :lol:thenewguy wrote:you know, all they need is a few bars and restaurants near campus and it could be quite the party university ;)
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Creighton Campus Development
I saw this the other day when I was at the soccer game. This, along with the health and fitness center that will be next door, will really tie the area together. It will also create a northern boarder for the campus.
Now if they would just hurry up and build the new baseball and softball complex.
Now if they would just hurry up and build the new baseball and softball complex.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4330
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Creighton Campus Development
OmahaJaysCU wrote:I saw this the other day when I was at the soccer game. This, along with the health and fitness center that will be next door, will really tie the area together. It will also create a northern boarder for the campus.
Now if they would just hurry up and build the new baseball and softball complex.
eeeeasy....they're already planning that. It's called "the-stadium-the-college-world-series-will-be-at"
Go Cubs Go
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Creighton Campus Development
I don't think the softball team will fit there. Everything I am hearing from the hilltop is that playing downtown will only be for a few years until they can get everything together for their baseball stadium on campus. Right now, there is much more on the "to do list" in regards to updating the campus. This buys them some extra time and allows them to tear down the complex and use that space for dorms or other buildings.thenewguy wrote:OmahaJaysCU wrote:I saw this the other day when I was at the soccer game. This, along with the health and fitness center that will be next door, will really tie the area together. It will also create a northern boarder for the campus.
Now if they would just hurry up and build the new baseball and softball complex.
eeeeasy....they're already planning that. It's called "the-stadium-the-college-world-series-will-be-at"
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Creighton Campus Development
They have made so much progress since 12/2 when I posted that photo...
South Side

NW corner

East Side

Advertising at the BB Games

South Side

NW corner

East Side

Advertising at the BB Games


Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Choleric
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 74
- Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:10 pm
Creighton Campus Development
What Intersection is this on or near again. I am trying to picture where this is...
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Creighton Campus Development
In the photo below I am in the soccer stadium parking lot on the south west end of the stadium. I am looking north and you se the "Main walk" that runs all the way though campus to the soccer stadium. The soccer stadium in at my right.Choleric wrote:What Intersection is this on or near again. I am trying to picture where this is...


Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
cp jay 07
- Human Relations
- Posts: 734
- Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:31 am
Creighton Campus Development
So the CWS will be played at an on campus 4,000 seat stadium next to the Ryan Center. What will be in the North Downtown stadium? I wonder if the Royals will play there :lol:thenewguy wrote:OmahaJaysCU wrote:I saw this the other day when I was at the soccer game. This, along with the health and fitness center that will be next door, will really tie the area together. It will also create a northern boarder for the campus.
Now if they would just hurry up and build the new baseball and softball complex.
eeeeasy....they're already planning that. It's called "the-stadium-the-college-world-series-will-be-at"
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Creighton Campus Development
Thats a fantastic pic. I can't believe that old haunted house is still there.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Creighton Campus Development
I couldn't remember if there was another thread for Creighton's fund raising. This is from the 10th this month.
"Creighton University President the Rev. John P. Schlegel, S. J., announced at the University’s annual convocation today the results of the Willing to Lead campaign, the largest fundraising initiative in the history of the University. The record-setting campaign has raised more than $395 million, exceeding its goal of $350 million."
http://www2.creighton.edu/publicrelatio ... /index.php
Great news for Creighton.
"Creighton University President the Rev. John P. Schlegel, S. J., announced at the University’s annual convocation today the results of the Willing to Lead campaign, the largest fundraising initiative in the history of the University. The record-setting campaign has raised more than $395 million, exceeding its goal of $350 million."
http://www2.creighton.edu/publicrelatio ... /index.php
Great news for Creighton.
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Creighton Campus Development
Thanks for the Update! That's looking great!

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Creighton Campus Development
I was on Creighton's campus on Thursday for the first time in a long time, although I had visited the Harper Center since its completion. I was SO impressed with everything that Creighton has done so far, and with how the vision for its campus is really coming together, with even more opportunities for greatness in the future. The view from the Harper Center offered an amazing vantage point toward the Downtown core, as well as showing how many of Creighton's new campus "pieces" fit together.
I see this campus seamlessly connecting with the urban fabric of North Downtown, and North Downtown prospering and beginning to offer all the sorts of retail and services that should abut an urban college campus like Creighton.
Here's the pics:












Look how well they've matched the old to the new:
Old:

New:















I see this campus seamlessly connecting with the urban fabric of North Downtown, and North Downtown prospering and beginning to offer all the sorts of retail and services that should abut an urban college campus like Creighton.
Here's the pics:












Look how well they've matched the old to the new:
Old:

New:















-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Creighton Campus Development
Great Stuff Streets! Thanks for Posting!

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Creighton Campus Development
Nice work
Creighton's campus is really looking nice.
-
MTO
- City Council
- Posts: 7783
- Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
- Location: Dundee
Creighton Campus Development
Awesome photo update!
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4330
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Creighton Campus Development
yeah, it's impressive how much Creighton has changed since my brother graduated from there...and that was 3 years ago. At that point, the soccer stadium seemed like a decent walk's distance away. Now it's part of campus.
I like the 2nd to last one the best!
I like the 2nd to last one the best!
Go Cubs Go
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Creighton Campus Development
You think your brother has seen changes....I graduated in 1982! It just blows my mind away all that has changed. A lot was being done in the late 1970s (CU Hospital) and early 1980s, but this is just fantastic how things are turning out.thenewguy wrote:yeah, it's impressive how much Creighton has changed since my brother graduated from there...and that was 3 years ago. At that point, the soccer stadium seemed like a decent walk's distance away. Now it's part of campus.
I like the 2nd to last one the best!
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4330
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
Creighton Campus Development
yeah, it's turning into quite a campus! It will be interesting to see how the university and north downtown get integrated.
Go Cubs Go
-
windsor
- Human Relations
- Posts: 815
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 am
- Location: Omaha
Creighton Campus Development
That brick parkway that runs through the campus all the way to the stadium is great. Thanks for the time you spent to update all of us with you wonderful photos.
where the corn meets the concrete
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Creighton Campus Development
Thanks a lot.
I've been dreaming a lot recently about a similar but grander pedestrian corridor running East and West from about 72nd to Downtown.
I've been dreaming a lot recently about a similar but grander pedestrian corridor running East and West from about 72nd to Downtown.
-
windsor
- Human Relations
- Posts: 815
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 am
- Location: Omaha
Creighton Campus Development
That would be amazing if they could find a way to make it happen. It would be neat if they could pick a street that parallels Dodge and make it along there.StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Thanks a lot.
I've been dreaming a lot recently about a similar but grander pedestrian corridor running East and West from about 72nd to Downtown.
where the corn meets the concrete
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Creighton Campus Development
That's exactly what I envision. Sort of a "Champs-Elysees" for pedestrians, cyclists, as well as LRT/tram right of way. Basically a major east-west, tree-lined boulevard designed for all non-automobile traffic (including buses, motorcycles, etc.).
Picture this with dedicated east and west bound bike lanes, wide pedestrian promenades, and a central LRT/tramway line where the cars are.

Picture this with dedicated east and west bound bike lanes, wide pedestrian promenades, and a central LRT/tramway line where the cars are.

-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Creighton Campus Development
How/why would you be able to have motorcycles but not cars?
I like the idea, though.
I like the idea, though.
Stable genius.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Creighton Campus Development
Sorry for not being more concise. I'm including motorcycles and buses in the category of "automobile" when I say "non-automobile". I.e. non-bus, non-car, non-motorcycle, et al. Just pedestrians, cyclists, and LRT.
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
windsor
- Human Relations
- Posts: 815
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 am
- Location: Omaha
Creighton Campus Development
I am not sure I like the motorcycle part, Vespas may be, but if you allow motorcycles on a pedestrian path, you know some idiot will show up with his rocket doing 90 down the thing.
where the corn meets the concrete
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Creighton Campus Development
Oh my god. Let me reiterate.
NO. MOTORIZED. VEHICLES.
Just pedestrians, cyclists, and LRT (yes, I realize, technically this is a "motorized vehicle")
NO. MOTORIZED. VEHICLES.
Just pedestrians, cyclists, and LRT (yes, I realize, technically this is a "motorized vehicle")
-
windsor
- Human Relations
- Posts: 815
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 am
- Location: Omaha
-
Finn
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1387
- Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:54 pm
- Location: DC
Creighton Campus Development
New CU fitness center will bear Rasmussen's name
The Rasmussen Center is the second phase of the Ryan Center project. The first phase, scheduled for completion in August, consists of the Ryan Center, which will house athletic department offices, locker rooms and strength and conditioning facilities, and the D.J. Sokol Arena, which will seat about 3,000 for women's basketball and volleyball.
Creighton announced about a year ago that it intended to build a 65,000-square foot multipurpose fitness facility adjacent to the Ryan Center. It will include a 150 foot by 200 foot synthetic turf playing surface that will be used for intramurals as well as the school's athletic teams, a two-lane, suspended running track, a rock-climbing wall and fitness areas with cardio, circuit-training and free-weight equipment.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Creighton Campus Development
Was that a typo in the article when it said it would open in August 2010? Surely they must have meant August 2009.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
ItsAllAboutMe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 962
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
Creighton Campus Development
No, I don't think so. The fitness center they are describing is not under construction yet. It will sit just east of the current under construction athletics building. It appears the two separate facilities will be connected by a sky walk.Was that a typo in the article when it said it would open in August 2010? Surely they must have meant August 2009

