Car Gremlins

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Car Gremlins

Post by Coyote »

I have a 95 Honda Civic and it recently started to act up. My air conditioner works just fine - until the engine heats up, then it quits for a while and maybe comes back on. A trick that I learned was after it quits, if I gun the engine, making the AT downshift one of preferably two gears going up hill - it magically comes back on.

Any one have an idea of what is going on? If I can fix it myself - or a suggestion where to take it?

Thanks
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036559
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Car Gremlins

Post by Brad »

May be the higher RPM of you gunning the engine is speeding up the compressor.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Car Gremlins

Post by nebugeater »

I would wonder about the clutch that engages your compressor for your AC? Could be that it is bad or being told by the computer to disengage when it shouldn't
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Car Gremlins

Post by DTO Luv »

Get a condo and a job DT then get rid of the car. Best case scenario.
DTO
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...

Re: Car Gremlins

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Coyote wrote:I have a 95 Honda Civic and it recently started to act up. My air conditioner works just fine - until the engine heats up, then it quits for a while and maybe comes back on. A trick that I learned was after it quits, if I gun the engine, making the AT downshift one of preferably two gears going up hill - it magically comes back on.

Any one have an idea of what is going on? If I can fix it myself - or a suggestion where to take it?

Thanks
Call Exclusive Honda and ask for Todd. (402) 551-3015

They're located at 42nd and Leavenworth. Todd, the owner, has to be the last honest mechanic in Omaha. I can't recommend him enough. He won't BS you at all.
the1wags
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver

Car Gremlins

Post by the1wags »

I'd also venture a guess at AC compressor is going out but I'm far from a mechanic.
User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Car Gremlins

Post by Bosco55David »

Is the car overheating, or even getting slightly warmer than before?
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Car Gremlins

Post by Coyote »

Bosco55David wrote:Is the car overheating, or even getting slightly warmer than before?
No - not that I am aware of - the temp gauge seems to be the same as always.
User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Car Gremlins

Post by Bosco55David »

Well that basically eliminates one problem. Next question. When did you last have the AC recharged?
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Car Gremlins

Post by Coyote »

Bosco55David wrote:Well that basically eliminates one problem. Next question. When did you last have the AC recharged?
That is what I tried first - a few weeks ago.
User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Car Gremlins

Post by Bosco55David »

Well |expletive|, there goes all the simple ideas I had. I hate to say it but it sounds like the AC compressor might be taking a |expletive| on you, but I'm no AC expert either.

I'll call a buddy of mine who is a ASE certified mechanic and see what he says.