City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
My camera has been dying a slow death for quite awhile so tonight I finally broke down and put money on my a new one.
I would like to get a 5D or better eventually but I can't be without one long so I'll make due with this.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/
I would like to get a 5D or better eventually but I can't be without one long so I'll make due with this.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/
DTO
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
You will make due.... In 8 months your school is going to hand you a 5DmkII and a mamiya medium format with a digital back... don't act all deprivedDTO Luv wrote:I would like to get a 5D or better eventually but I can't be without one long so I'll make due with this. [/url]

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
DTO
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Yeah, no kidding. You'll be gear whoring all over Mass.Brad wrote:You will make due.... In 8 months your school is going to hand you a 5DmkII and a mamiya medium format with a digital back... don't act all deprivedDTO Luv wrote:I would like to get a 5D or better eventually but I can't be without one long so I'll make due with this. [/url]
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
If you read that sentence fast it sounds like you said, "whoring all over my a$$." And yes I'm 12 everyone.almighty_tuna wrote:Yeah, no kidding. You'll be gear whoring all over Mass.Brad wrote:You will make due.... In 8 months your school is going to hand you a 5DmkII and a mamiya medium format with a digital back... don't act all deprivedDTO Luv wrote:I would like to get a 5D or better eventually but I can't be without one long so I'll make due with this. [/url]
DTO
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...
Congrats on the 40D. When do you think you'll be able to pick it up?
It turns out that 1 week after I purchased my T1i, Canon released the successor T2i with the 7D's new 18mp sensor, Digic 4 processor for ISO up to 12800, and 30FPS 1080P video recording. I'm sending my T1i back to Amazon and ordering the T2i right away.
I'm trying to decide between the Canon 50mm 1.4 or the Tokina 11-16 2.8. Both are specialty lenses, the Canon for video or the Tokina for the super sharp wide-ange.....
It turns out that 1 week after I purchased my T1i, Canon released the successor T2i with the 7D's new 18mp sensor, Digic 4 processor for ISO up to 12800, and 30FPS 1080P video recording. I'm sending my T1i back to Amazon and ordering the T2i right away.
I'm trying to decide between the Canon 50mm 1.4 or the Tokina 11-16 2.8. Both are specialty lenses, the Canon for video or the Tokina for the super sharp wide-ange.....
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Just purchased a wide angle lens! Sigma 15mm-30mm F3.5

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...
15mm on Full Frame is ridiculous. You're going to love that lens.Brad wrote:Just purchased a wide angle lens! Sigma 15mm-30mm F3.5
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Thanks for recommending it!TechnicalDisaster wrote:15mm on Full Frame is ridiculous. You're going to love that lens.Brad wrote:Just purchased a wide angle lens! Sigma 15mm-30mm F3.5
I think it said it had a 110 degree field of view.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver
Yeah 15mm on full frame is like the 10 on my D300/Sigma 10-20 combo. WIDE!!

Have fun! A multitude of different shot options just opened up.
I can't wait to go full frame and get the 14-24 2.8 Nikkor, even wider by just a smidge. :shock:

Have fun! A multitude of different shot options just opened up.
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
That is an awesome shot Josh! 
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
I really do love that shot Josh. It's one of my favorite you've ever taken.
I'll be adding another zoom, macro, and wide angle to my lineup next week.
I'll be adding another zoom, macro, and wide angle to my lineup next week.
DTO
Planning Board
Posts: 2467
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
This one, from the Rosenblatt thread, is using a Sigma 18mm prime, full-frame, of course.the1wags wrote:Yeah 15mm on full frame is like the 10 on my D300/Sigma 10-20 combo. WIDE!!

City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
absolutely...insane for sureTechnicalDisaster wrote:15mm on Full Frame is ridiculous. You're going to love that lens.Brad wrote:Just purchased a wide angle lens! Sigma 15mm-30mm F3.5
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington
My new DMK21 lunar/planetary camera is beginning to net results... 
Tuesday night...

Wednesday night...


Tuesday night...

Wednesday night...


Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver
This seems as good as a place as any. DxOMark lab has finished their testing of the Nikon D3s, and it's not good news if you are a Canon shooter. The D3s stomps a mudhole in the Canon 1D MkIV for noise performance, up to 1.7 stops better. That is all. "Puts on flame suit." 
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...
Correction, it's not good if you are a canon shooter who buys $7,000 cameras. This won't make any difference to any of us on the forum, and it will be years before Nikon allows the new tech to trickle down to the cameras we can afford. By that time, Canon will already have surpassed it (if they don't already have a new camera in the pipe that surpasses it already).the1wags wrote:This seems as good as a place as any. DxOMark lab has finished their testing of the Nikon D3s, and it's not good news if you are a Canon shooter. The D3s stomps a mudhole in the Canon 1D MkIV for noise performance, up to 1.7 stops better. That is all. "Puts on flame suit."
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Nikon: Cameras for douchebags from Iowa who can't take pictures good.the1wags wrote:This seems as good as a place as any. DxOMark lab has finished their testing of the Nikon D3s, and it's not good news if you are a Canon shooter. The D3s stomps a mudhole in the Canon 1D MkIV for noise performance, up to 1.7 stops better. That is all. "Puts on flame suit."

The one on the right.

DTO
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver
So Canon has better tech but left it out of their flagship camera body, waiting to spring the trap? Sounds totally likely.
Face it, canon hasn't led the noise war since the 5D, which in tech timeline, was when dinosaurs ruled.
Face it, canon hasn't led the noise war since the 5D, which in tech timeline, was when dinosaurs ruled.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...
I think you mean the 5DmkII. What Nikon camera surpassed it for low noise ability?the1wags wrote:So Canon has better tech but left it out of their flagship camera body, waiting to spring the trap? Sounds totally likely.![]()
Face it, canon hasn't led the noise war since the 5D, which in tech timeline, was when dinosaurs ruled.
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver
Uh..... the one I just mentioned? When the 1st D3 came out, it set the bar. The D3s is the current noise champ, hands down.
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver
I got my first "pro" lens today! Nikkor 24-70 F2.8
I'm starting the slow (expensive) process of switching to a full frame camera. Now I need the 14-24 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 to have the trifecta. 
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Nice! My wide angle still hasn't shown up :?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
congrats! always a great feeling when that box arrives! ::):
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
I feel like a kid at Christmas! I keep walking up front looking for the FedEx guy!almighty_tuna wrote:congrats! always a great feeling when that box arrives! ::):

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
I hear that's the only kind of box he's getting lately.almighty_tuna wrote:congrats! always a great feeling when that box arrives! ::):
DTO
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...
I'm getting my 50mm 1.4 USM in the mail tomorrow. I've never owned a lens that fast before, I can't wait to play with that sucker!
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
MKI or MKIITechnicalDisaster wrote:I'm getting my 50mm 1.4 USM in the mail tomorrow. I've never owned a lens that fast before, I can't wait to play with that sucker!
I was thinking about getting the MKII but it has a plastic base.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...
You're confusing the 1.8 and the 1.4. The 1.8 has a plastic base, the 1.4 does not. The 1.8 is $80, the 1.4 is $350.Brad wrote:MKI or MKIITechnicalDisaster wrote:I'm getting my 50mm 1.4 USM in the mail tomorrow. I've never owned a lens that fast before, I can't wait to play with that sucker!
I was thinking about getting the MKII but it has a plastic base.
Either way, I've had plastic bases on all my kit lenses and never had a problem with them, so it isn't a deciding factor for me anyway.
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
I have a Canon 50mm F1.4 It is a lot of fun to play with. The look and feel of the 1.4 vs the 1.8 are like looking at a toy for the 1.8 and a real lens for the 1.4
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
City Council
Posts: 110964
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
This is the lens that I normally have on my 50D
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6

Paid around $600 for it a little over a year ago. Nice step up from any kit lens that I have ever used but yet not in the realm of a PRO lens for cost. I would really recommend this as a consideration for any Canon DSLR shooting.
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6

Paid around $600 for it a little over a year ago. Nice step up from any kit lens that I have ever used but yet not in the realm of a PRO lens for cost. I would really recommend this as a consideration for any Canon DSLR shooting.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
New Lens finally showed up today!
Shot #1 is New Lens Sigma 15mm - 30mm, this shot at 15mm. Shot #2 is from my 24mm -105mm shot at 24mm. I can't wait to get out and try it outside!
1.

2.

Shot #1 is New Lens Sigma 15mm - 30mm, this shot at 15mm. Shot #2 is from my 24mm -105mm shot at 24mm. I can't wait to get out and try it outside!
1.

2.


Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...
That looks pretty good. Since the image is inside and low light, I assume the lens is wide-open. The edge to edge sharpness (especially on the ceiling) looks pristine. How loud is the auto-focus? Is it living up to its 'buzzsaw' nickname?Brad wrote:New Lens finally showed up today!
Shot #1 is New Lens Sigma 15mm - 30mm, this shot at 15mm. Shot #2 is from my 24mm -105mm shot at 24mm. I can't wait to get out and try it outside!
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Its definitely loud and slow, but I don't think I had it wide open. I also think the free web program I have at work has an auto sharpen on it when you reduce image size.TechnicalDisaster wrote:That looks pretty good. Since the image is inside and low light, I assume the lens is wide-open. The edge to edge sharpness (especially on the ceiling) looks pristine. How loud is the auto-focus? Is it living up to its 'buzzsaw' nickname?Brad wrote:New Lens finally showed up today!
Shot #1 is New Lens Sigma 15mm - 30mm, this shot at 15mm. Shot #2 is from my 24mm -105mm shot at 24mm. I can't wait to get out and try it outside!

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...
WoHoo! My new camera shipped. I'll get it on Friday! Canon T2i.
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
Does your wife know about this? 
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
18mp, 6400 ISO! Nice!TechnicalDisaster wrote:WoHoo! My new camera shipped. I'll get it on Friday! Canon T2i.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1649
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: I got old...
She knows about the camera, but not the 50mm 1.4 I purchased. I kinda snuck that one in under the radar.Coyote wrote:Does your wife know about this?