This is your local newspaper
-
blueblood
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 112
- Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:13 am
This is your local newspaper
Are you kidding me?
http://m.omaha.com/om/pm_23081/contentd ... d=PHl7UiAM
So proud of how this must look to anyone from anywhere else. What an embarrassing newspaper.
http://m.omaha.com/om/pm_23081/contentd ... d=PHl7UiAM
So proud of how this must look to anyone from anywhere else. What an embarrassing newspaper.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10815
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
-
Professor Woland
- Library Board
- Posts: 367
- Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
This is your local newspaper
Given the Ted Haggard vibe Ron gives off, he might not really object if you did.Big E wrote:Why can't I marry Ron Brown to a dude?
-
S33
- County Board
- Posts: 4430
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm
This is your local newspaper
I tried to marry Lauren Cook with Alfonzo Dennard. I was trying to procreate an abusive drunk. :)
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2819
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
This is your local newspaper
While the OWH was at it, they should have also had one of those deals which predicts what your kids are going to look like.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
Omababe
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Re: This is your local newspaper
Slow news day! (week? month?)blueblood wrote:What an embarrassing newspaper.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Re: This is your local newspaper
"Slow" news organization.Omababe wrote:Slow news day! (week? month?)blueblood wrote:What an embarrassing newspaper.
Stable genius.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
This is your local newspaper
You know what the evidence shows about homophobes. They secretly want to get hot and nasty with other dudes.Professor Woland wrote:Given the Ted Haggard vibe Ron gives off, he might not really object if you did.Big E wrote:Why can't I marry Ron Brown to a dude?
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3278
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
This is your local newspaper
ModeShift Omaha's Heyday on May Day, an event to promote transportation options in Omaha, didn't make it anywhere onto omaha.com that I've seen, but today they're running a lengthy story on a girl who took a cardboard cutout of Tim Tebow to prom.
I don't even...

/rant.
I don't even...
/rant.
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2819
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
This is your local newspaper

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120505/NEWS01/705059853The World-Herald has won two prestigious National Headliner Awards, sponsored by the Press Club of Atlantic City, N.J.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm
This is your local newspaper
The OWH posted a revolutionary "Three Nutrition Habits to Avoid" column today. Two of the three are:
- Don't forget to eat
- Don't eat large portions
Seriously, who would have thought?
- Don't forget to eat
- Don't eat large portions
Seriously, who would have thought?
-
Omababe
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
This is your local newspaper
Sounds like something WOWT News would air during Sweeps Week!ShawJ wrote:The OWH posted a revolutionary "Three Nutrition Habits to Avoid" column today. Two of the three are:
- Don't forget to eat
- Don't eat large portions
I'm holding my breath, what is #3? I guess I could look it up, but I'm sure it's Paid Content.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003379
- Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
- Location: West Central Omaha
This is your local newspaper
Being a weekend warrior - waiting until the weekend to eat on a schedule and exercise.Omababe wrote:Sounds like something WOWT News would air during Sweeps Week!ShawJ wrote:The OWH posted a revolutionary "Three Nutrition Habits to Avoid" column today. Two of the three are:
- Don't forget to eat
- Don't eat large portions
I'm holding my breath, what is #3? I guess I could look it up, but I'm sure it's Paid Content.
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm
This is your local newspaper
Am I the only one who rolled my eyes through this entire article?
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120701/N ... fter-hours
Putting the shooting aside, how do people expect people to act when you have a small area filled with bars?
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120701/N ... fter-hours
Putting the shooting aside, how do people expect people to act when you have a small area filled with bars?
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110964
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
This is your local newspaper
Well I for one EXPECT people to not kill each other. I expect them to follow police instruction and depart when told, it should never have to come to pepper shots. I expect that illigal drug use will be confronted by the authorites and alcohol will be treated with the respect that it deserves. I expect that this area doesn't turn into a riot zone or gang land just becuase the bars close. If any expects less then that is part of the issue.
ShawJ wrote:Am I the only one who rolled my eyes through this entire article?
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120701/N ... fter-hours
Putting the shooting aside, how do people expect people to act when you have a small area filled with bars?
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm
This is your local newspaper
Same.nebugeater wrote:Well I for one EXPECT people to not kill each other.
Agreed. But I don't think police are resorting to pepper spray every night in the Old Market. This was a rare example.I expect them to follow police instruction and depart when told, it should never have to come to pepper shots.
In an ideal world alcohol would be treated with respect, but how often does that actually happen? You can't fill an area with bars and then expect all of the people to act mature and smart. That doesn't mean that people have a free pass to kill people and get violent, but again, that's a rare example.I expect that illigal drug use will be confronted by the authorites and alcohol will be treated with the respect that it deserves.
And that's where I disagree with the article. I don't think the Old Market is turning into a riot zone at all. The shooting was unfortunate but also extremely rare for the area.I expect that this area doesn't turn into a riot zone or gang land just becuase the bars close. If any expects less then that is part of the issue.
-
Linkin5
- County Board
- Posts: 4886
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
This is your local newspaper
I thought it was a good article, not too much fluff.
These things will happen sometimes in a city, it's a shame it happened but until it turns into a trend there's not much to be worried about.
These things will happen sometimes in a city, it's a shame it happened but until it turns into a trend there's not much to be worried about.
-
bigredmed
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1897
- Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
This is your local newspaper
I agree, the article seemed pretty balanced towards the cops and the old market business owners, but failed to be more critical on the group of people who deserve it and they are the hooligans and criminals who seem to think that they are entitled to trash places. Till the OWH and the other media show the stones and the objectivity to call these jerks out, we will see more encroachment into other common areas of the city and will soon see a decline in the use of these areas and a flight to safety by the people who can handle their highs and dont want to deal with this nonsense.Linkin5 wrote:I thought it was a good article, not too much fluff.
These things will happen sometimes in a city, it's a shame it happened but until it turns into a trend there's not much to be worried about.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10815
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
This is your local newspaper
Now Michael Jordan's kid is getting arrested in the Old Market, |expletive| is seriously getting rowdy down there now a days.
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2819
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
This is your local newspaper
The article was decent, but I couldn't really tell if it was supposed to be about Old Market safety, or an update on the shooting.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106377
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
This is your local newspaper
I expected to see something about "hey kids, get off my lawn" near the end of the article. It felt more like an over dramatic editorial lecture on manners, with some shooting detail thrown in so it could live in the news section.
And the Oscar goes to....OWH wrote:The music ends, the lights are turned on and police begin the task of getting the mass to move on. They sometimes fire pepper balls into the air.
This is not the Old Market of corner musicians and khakis and decorative basket sales. This is something darker and more dangerous.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3278
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
This is your local newspaper
He died four years ago.Big E wrote:Where's the "in a world..." guy when you need him?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_LaFontaine
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2819
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
This is your local newspaper
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120706/NEWS/707069938
I wonder if they'll run a story about how air conditioning helped keep people from suffering/dying of heat stroke despite the heatwave this past week.
I wonder if they'll run a story about how air conditioning helped keep people from suffering/dying of heat stroke despite the heatwave this past week.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
This is your local newspaper
OWH site is down. People will just have to get their news from this site.
In other words, just another day....
They'll figure it out if someone checks the monthly stats & says "Hey, Warren, seems like nobody is reading our internets anymore"
By the way, OWH, Godaddy called. You owe $19.95 for your web site for the month.
In other words, just another day....
They'll figure it out if someone checks the monthly stats & says "Hey, Warren, seems like nobody is reading our internets anymore"
By the way, OWH, Godaddy called. You owe $19.95 for your web site for the month.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3278
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
This is your local newspaper
Whoever reports on car accidents needs to learn more about cars. That person (or department) keeps labeling vehicles involved in accidents as SUVs when they are not. Apparently a pick-up truck with a bed topper or any type of hatchback is now considered an SUV by OWH staff.
-
bigredmed
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1897
- Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
This is your local newspaper
Not a phenomenon only at the OWH.TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Whoever reports on car accidents needs to learn more about cars. That person (or department) keeps labeling vehicles involved in accidents as SUVs when they are not. Apparently a pick-up truck with a bed topper or any type of hatchback is now considered an SUV by OWH staff.
KMTV reporter interviewed the warden of the state pen after an inmate was shot and killed trying to escape. He was hit in the center of his chest by a .308. She claimed the warden had a "shoot to kill order". The warden never could get her to understand that the guards are taught to shoot at the center of the mass and that this for the safety of others as it lowers the risk of missing. She could just not get it through her head that it was not ok to aim at their foot.
Granted, this was KMTV, but there seems to be a lot of journos that don't get out much.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
-
vargas
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
This is your local newspaper
I have to say that I stopped taking the OWH 4 years ago. I occasionally will read their online version; however, it becomes more unbearable with each "upgrade" they do to the appearance. Whether they will admit it or not, they have also changed since the purchase by Warren - and not for the better. Their really is nothing to the newspaper anymore on weekdays. Sad.
-
bigredmed
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1897
- Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
This is your local newspaper
Definitely in the tank for Kerrey. They keep tinkering with layout and do nothing about their content problems.vargas wrote:I have to say that I stopped taking the OWH 4 years ago. I occasionally will read their online version; however, it becomes more unbearable with each "upgrade" they do to the appearance. Whether they will admit it or not, they have also changed since the purchase by Warren - and not for the better. Their really is nothing to the newspaper anymore on weekdays. Sad.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3278
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re:
Pardon me circling back to this rant from 2012, but this continues to be a pet peeve of mine. Granted, since all media outlets continue to do this I have to think it's the police department's fault for an erroneous accident report.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 am Whoever reports on car accidents needs to learn more about cars. That person (or department) keeps labeling vehicles involved in accidents as SUVs when they are not. Apparently a pick-up truck with a bed topper or any type of hatchback is now considered an SUV by OWH staff.
Anyway, most of the time when I find local media mislabeling cars as SUVs they are at least a truck with a bed topper or a hatchback as mentioned previously - something with a rear hatch like you'd find on an actual SUV. Today there was an accident involving an "SUV" that they identified as a "2018 Nissan Altima."

THIS IS NOT AN SUV!!!!!!!!
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: This is your local newspaper
I'm just surprised by two things:
1) That there is still someone on the payroll to write a story.
2) That they would devote any space in the paper to something that isn't an ad.
1) That there is still someone on the payroll to write a story.
2) That they would devote any space in the paper to something that isn't an ad.