County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
The new mobile site is terrible.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
I don't notice a difference, when was their mobile site upgraded?Garrett wrote:The new mobile site is terrible.
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
The one I get on Chrome on my iPhone is definitely different.Coyote wrote:I don't notice a difference, when was their mobile site upgraded?Garrett wrote:The new mobile site is terrible.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
IT Director
Posts: 10003376
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha
I've noticed the desktop version is a little glitchy. It looks mostly the same, but there are some subtle changes.
City Council
Posts: 110949
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Looks like no access to any story over seven days old unless you have an ePaper subscription. If there is away without it I have not found it yet.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
I think it has been moving in this direction for a while, but a week is really pushing it.nebugeater wrote:Looks like no access to any story over seven days old unless you have an ePaper subscription. If there is away without it I have not found it yet.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm
I was wondering why a lot of pictures were disappearing and some OWH links weren't working on the forum. I guess that solves it.nebugeater wrote:Looks like no access to any story over seven days old unless you have an ePaper subscription. If there is away without it I have not found it yet.
City Council
Posts: 110949
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
THe message I posted from the weekend stated that There would be another email to follow. I never received that. Can you believe that from the OWH
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
Library Board
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:20 pm
Every time I try to access their site from my desktop at work it takes forever to load. I have pretty much given up on them for my local news. I never bother on my phone, it's just too painful.
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
Looks like they updated their pay wall. I went months of viewing it without a single mention of subscription and just now hit my limit under the new system.
IT Director
Posts: 10003376
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha
Do you do something like Incognito mode in Chrome?iamjacobm wrote:Looks like they updated their pay wall. I went months of viewing it without a single mention of subscription and just now hit my limit under the new system.
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
Nope, basic safari and never hit the pay wall for I am not sure how long. I kind of assumed the site was being buggy or something b/c I click on articles all the time.HR Paperstacks wrote:Do you do something like Incognito mode in Chrome?iamjacobm wrote:Looks like they updated their pay wall. I went months of viewing it without a single mention of subscription and just now hit my limit under the new system.
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
Unless they are doing some fancy tracking by IP address, browser signature or something like that, it will probably be cookies like the old system and easily foiled by using private browsing mode. I have yet to run into a paywall message yet.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
IT Director
Posts: 10003376
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha
Well I sure hope so. I haven't seen one yet and I always go to their site incognito. So hopefully I can continue doing so.jessep28 wrote:Unless they are doing some fancy tracking by IP address, browser signature or something like that, it will probably be cookies like the old system and easily foiled by using private browsing mode. I have yet to run into a paywall message yet.
City Council
Posts: 110949
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Human Relations
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Country Club
They finally added an online only subscription.... for $25/month.
At my address it would cost me $19.28 for 7 day paper delivery + full online access
Or 17.53 for Mon-Fri delivery and full online access
But for some reason it costs $5-7.50 more per month to *pay* them not to deliver it on dead trees.
At my address it would cost me $19.28 for 7 day paper delivery + full online access
Or 17.53 for Mon-Fri delivery and full online access
But for some reason it costs $5-7.50 more per month to *pay* them not to deliver it on dead trees.
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Yeah I agree, that is crazy. I get the daily paper and I would think that they would let you access the online stories free of charge with a paid subsciption, but that is not the case.Dundeemaha wrote:They finally added an online only subscription.... for $25/month.
At my address it would cost me $19.28 for 7 day paper delivery + full online access
Or 17.53 for Mon-Fri delivery and full online access
But for some reason it costs $5-7.50 more per month to *pay* them not to deliver it on dead trees.
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
I thought if you had a subscription you had access to everything over a week old (that hasn't been deleted yet)skinzfan23 wrote:Yeah I agree, that is crazy. I get the daily paper and I would think that they would let you access the online stories free of charge with a paid subsciption, but that is not the case.Dundeemaha wrote:They finally added an online only subscription.... for $25/month.
At my address it would cost me $19.28 for 7 day paper delivery + full online access
Or 17.53 for Mon-Fri delivery and full online access
But for some reason it costs $5-7.50 more per month to *pay* them not to deliver it on dead trees.
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
I will have to check to see if that is still true. I know when I signed up the subscription a few months ago, it gave me access to online. After about a week they sent me an email that stated I shouldn't have had access to it and if I wanted it, I would have to pay the online subscription fee.
City Council
Posts: 110949
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
I have a seven day subscription and have had access to the ePaper since it came about. I look at it two or three times a week and have not had an issue yet.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Do you have to log in and create an account to have access? When I purchased the subscription to the regular paper online, it had prices listed to become an all-access member. Is that different than the e-paper?nebugeater wrote:I have a seven day subscription and have had access to the ePaper since it came about. I look at it two or three times a week and have not had an issue yet.
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
All-access is unlimited OWH content on Omaha.com and the e-paper. Apparently current sevel day subscribers now have to pay an extra $7 a month to get online access. There never used to be an additional fee for those subscribers.skinzfan23 wrote:Do you have to log in and create an account to have access? When I purchased the subscription to the regular paper online, it had prices listed to become an all-access member. Is that different than the e-paper?nebugeater wrote:I have a seven day subscription and have had access to the ePaper since it came about. I look at it two or three times a week and have not had an issue yet.
http://www.omaha.com/site/services/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
City Council
Posts: 110949
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
skinzfan23 wrote:Do you have to log in and create an account to have access? When I purchased the subscription to the regular paper online, it had prices listed to become an all-access member. Is that different than the e-paper?nebugeater wrote:I have a seven day subscription and have had access to the ePaper since it came about. I look at it two or three times a week and have not had an issue yet.
There is a log in for the ePaper. I set it up along time ago. The E paper is different than the on line content only. It is the entire paper in visual form where you can click on any story and bring it up to read it. It is searchable too.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
Human Relations
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
Every time I run into a paywall on omaha.com, I just clear out my browser history and cookies. Just seems odd...wouldn't advertisers on omaha.com have an issue with site visitors running into these things?
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
Yes, but the unfortunate play on words is pretty distasteful:
Grave (n): a burial place
Grave (adj): very serious; dangerous to life - used of an illness of its prospects.
Grave (n): a burial place
Grave (adj): very serious; dangerous to life - used of an illness of its prospects.
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
Apparently they have an internet radio show.
http://www.omaha.com/bottomline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.omaha.com/bottomline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
City Council
Posts: 110949
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
jessep28 wrote:Apparently they have an internet radio show.
http://www.omaha.com/bottomline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IT has been on since March and was announced in Late Jan or Early Feb when Mikel Severe left 1620 to host the show. I can say to date I have yet to listen to any of it.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
They had a widget on Omaha.com which auto played. That's how I discovered the show.nebugeater wrote:jessep28 wrote:Apparently they have an internet radio show.
http://www.omaha.com/bottomline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IT has been on since March and was announced in Late Jan or Early Feb when Mikel Severe left 1620 to host the show. I can say to date I have yet to listen to any of it.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
City Council
Posts: 110949
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
jessep28 wrote:They had a widget on Omaha.com which auto played. That's how I discovered the show.nebugeater wrote:jessep28 wrote:Apparently they have an internet radio show.
http://www.omaha.com/bottomline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IT has been on since March and was announced in Late Jan or Early Feb when Mikel Severe left 1620 to host the show. I can say to date I have yet to listen to any of it.
Must be part of their new improved web site.
I am on their site early in the AM and not when the show is on so I have not had that happen
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
Yes Mike'l Severe left 1620 just to launch this. I haven't seen how this net cast ratings has compared to terrestrial ratings though. It was OWH's pioneering venture...
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
The OWH's cafeteria is getting a $100 k makeover. Anyone had lunch here recently?
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O
Is it open to the public. At just a block from me, I could use a new place to try out.Coyote wrote:The OWH's cafeteria is getting a $100 k makeover. Anyone had lunch here recently?
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
The OWH reporting on its own story?
OPPD set to vote on new leader after secret selection process; World-Herald weighs lawsuit
OPPD set to vote on new leader after secret selection process; World-Herald weighs lawsuit
Omaha World Herald wrote:The World-Herald maintains that the selection process skirted a Nebraska open meetings law intended to invite public participation. And the newspaper's position is that OPPD is obligated to release information about the final four candidates under the Nebraska open records law.
As a result, The World-Herald is considering legal action against OPPD's secrecy. Editors and attorneys are investigating whether the agency violated Nebraska's open meetings and open records statutes.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1436
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm
Location: Ford Birthsite Neighborhood
Well, there's not much legitimate competition to report it...Coyote wrote:The OWH reporting on its own story?
OPPD set to vote on new leader after secret selection process; World-Herald weighs lawsuit
Omaha World Herald wrote:The World-Herald maintains that the selection process skirted a Nebraska open meetings law intended to invite public participation. And the newspaper's position is that OPPD is obligated to release information about the final four candidates under the Nebraska open records law.
As a result, The World-Herald is considering legal action against OPPD's secrecy. Editors and attorneys are investigating whether the agency violated Nebraska's open meetings and open records statutes.
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
Lol, the Omaha World-Herald sure seems pretty smug about standing up to OPPD.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Human Relations
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha
There is a famous story about when Warren Buffett bought the Omaha Sun Newspaper back in the 1970's and Boys Town got on his bad side and he went after them and nailed them to the wall. When OPPD saw that the World Herald was coming after them they would of been fools not to take it very serious!jessep28 wrote:Lol, the Omaha World-Herald sure seems pretty smug about standing up to OPPD.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
I know an accountant for Boys town. I feel bad for them in a way. They were blasted by Buffet for their active fundraising even though they are sitting on a big endowment. Problem is that a large fraction of their endowment is purposes directed. Like the cash they manage for the possibility that a BT grad could get accepted to Notre Dame and then get into their law school. Funds exist to help with law school tuition. No takers so far. Their actual endowment that supports their programs is actually a lot smaller than their published gross. That part never got into the Buffet piece.
