I posted this in another thread, but this morning they are removing the First Comp sign from the building. Any idea why? Did REX and First Comp complete the move out west that was previously mentioned. The building looks pretty plain without the lettering.
Has anyone figured out if REX and First Comp are still there? I've tried Googling stuff and haven't found anything out. Those two businesses are still being listed at CPP.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
For some odd reason, I've always disliked these buildings. Everyone (except Brad) takes photos of Central Park with these two buildings right smack in the center. Yuck!
mcarch wrote:For some odd reason, I've always disliked these buildings. Everyone (except Brad) takes photos of Central Park with these two buildings right smack in the center. Yuck!
Why? I think they are one of the few examples of properly executed midrise buildings that off something for everyone at ground level. They are unique and the brick is a nice homage to the brick buildings that once populated downtown and the shape of the towers is a nice closeout of the international style of architecture aso well as a welcome to a more progressive movement of architecture.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
Midwestern wrote:I'm not a fan of the 2-story parking garage part that fronts 16th street but other than that I love these buildings.
Agree on both counts. I've always thought the way Gene Leahy Mall kind of looks like it "leads up" to these two buildings is pretty awesome. Two mid-rises that looked differently or a superblock high rise wouldn't have the same effect, IMHO.
I never thought they were that great, maybe because they were originally built for ConAgra. Nothing special architecturally. Maybe if ConAgra would have built a more iconic high-rise they would have stayed put and spared Jobbers Canyon. Hmmm, I wonder what they tore down to build Centarl Park Plaza. Probably something we wish we still had.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings" ...and then they were gone.
I wish more people would take advantage of these buildings, though. I keep trying to find how much office space is available and there is nothing up to date, or I need to be a member of a real estate site to see.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
They're not architecturally substantial except the fact that they are large triangular buildings... and there's two of them. I also don't see how they reflect jobbers canyon. I all the brick that is on them "new brick." It doesn't scream reclaimed or old brick. They're big red massive triangular building's built in the nternational style... and not really so much as international style. International style usually means mostly glass walls to make the large building seem to be smaller than it is.
mcarch wrote:They're not architecturally substantial except the fact that they are large triangular buildings... and there's two of them. I also don't see how they reflect jobbers canyon. I all the brick that is on them "new brick." It doesn't scream reclaimed or old brick. They're big red massive triangular building's built in the nternational style... and not really so much as international style. International style usually means mostly glass walls to make the large building seem to be smaller than it is.
The Woodmen and Kiewit buildings are both International style. The older form of International style doesn't use glass curtain walls, such as the smaller FNB tower did. I never said they reflected JC specifically, either. When I said red brick buildings, I meant that in a more general sense of all the buildings that were down there while these two were built. And of course they were going to use new brick. What were they going to do, knock down 10 more buildings so they can have old bricks? I feel like CPP is very under-appreciated these days... They've basically been doomed since ConAgra and InterNorth left them.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.
My Federal Agency has a entire floor in the North Tower. I think our tower is mostly full. UP has a huge presence in both towers. I'll have to review the floor directories for both buildings and report back.
Jack Ford wrote:My Federal Agency has a entire floor in the North Tower. I think our tower is mostly full. UP has a huge presence in both towers. I'll have to review the floor directories for both buildings and report back.
That would be lovely. Thanks!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.