Skybridges Downtown

Capital city news and discussion.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2503
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Skybridges Downtown

Post by mrsticka »

I think Lincoln could use a few more skybridges downtown. It could certainly make it easier for pedestrians walking downtown in the summer or winter.
User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:59 am

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

mrsticka wrote:I think Lincoln could use a few more skybridges downtown. It could certainly make it easier for pedestrians walking downtown in the summer or winter.
Skywalks*
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2503
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by mrsticka »

What's the difference?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036581
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by Brad »

I'm sure it all comes down to cost. A crosswalk provided by the city is free, anything else costs the building owner a lot of money...
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4887
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by Linkin5 »

I'm not a big fan of skywalks as they take away from pedestrian sidewalk traffic. I would be good with Lincoln stop planning these.
Steve
Home Owners Association
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: Lincoln

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by Steve »

Linkin5 wrote:I'm not a big fan of skywalks as they take away from pedestrian sidewalk traffic. I would be good with Lincoln stop planning these.
I tend to agree. I believe several of the current ones were built when there was considerable retail presence in the Brandeis, Centrum and Atrium Buildings. One could walk through, similar to an indoor mall, and shop. Now those buildings have mostly offices and most retail is at the street level.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2503
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by mrsticka »

I just thought a city like Lincoln would be eager to build them. I mean, most 2 way streets here have center turn lanes. They want to put in roundabouts all over the place, which I'm not too crazy about. So yeah, it was only natural for me to assume that they'd want to build some more skybridges downtown.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4887
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by Linkin5 »

mrsticka wrote:I just thought a city like Lincoln would be eager to build them. I mean, most 2 way streets here have center turn lanes. They want to put in roundabouts all over the place, which I'm not too crazy about. So yeah, it was only natural for me to assume that they'd want to build some more skybridges downtown.
I'm failing to see the correlation between these things.
MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2958
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I just thought a city like Lincoln would be eager to build them. I mean, most 2 way streets here have center turn lanes. They want to put in roundabouts all over the place, which I'm not too crazy about. So yeah, it was only natural for me to assume that they'd want to build some more skybridges downtown.
I'm failing to see the correlation between these things.
Alrighty, I'm just glad I wasn't the only one confused.
No posts exist for this topic
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10818
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by iamjacobm »

Not a fan of skybridges, but I get why they are popular or important. Having the Hilton connect directly to CLC is huge. A place like Minneapolis has bitter winters.

I don't think it makes much sense in Lincoln though. They don't have those mega employers that demand multiple building or to be connected to a garage. I just don't see how many people would be moving between buildings on a daily basis.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 am

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by NEDodger »

I do like them - when I used to work downtown, I really would have appreciated them on really stormy days / during the winter. I completely understand the stance that they discourage patronage of street-level retail, but I don't know how much of an impact that has - if I was going out to lunch I'd still be going to these same establishments, skybridges or not.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by Coyote »

Isn't it kind of hard to retrofit skywalks, and not disturb office space in the connected buildings, let alone security issues.
mrsticka
Planning Board
Posts: 2503
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by mrsticka »

I would never suggest a skybridge to the capitol or city hall.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am

Re: Skybridges Downtown

Post by Athomsfere »

mrsticka wrote:I would never suggest a skybridge to the capitol or city hall.
I would, just like in the Jetsons!