Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Capital city news and discussion.
Steve
Home Owners Association
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Lincoln

Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Steve »

UNL Student Union may be having new tenants:

http://journalstar.com/business/local/c ... op-story-1
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Bob from Omaha »

I get that Runza is mad but it isn't like there aren't other runzas in Lincoln. Look at what the Union is getting. Chick fil A AND Steak n Shake? Steak n Shake is outstanding. Chick fil A is about to be the second biggest chain soon. Something must be going right.

If I was a student I'd be thrilled.

Hey Runza, them's the breaks. It's business. Flush it and move on.

If it's true that Runza didn't read the RFQ correctly who exactly would they have brought in? Amigos? Valentinos? Maybe it's time for UNL to up their game & try new things.
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Doctor Fate »

Bob from Omaha wrote:I get that Runza is mad but it isn't like there aren't other runzas in Lincoln. Look at what the Union is getting. Chick fil A AND Steak n Shake? Steak n Shake is outstanding. Chick fil A is about to be the second biggest chain soon. Something must be going right.

If I was a student I'd be thrilled.

Hey Runza, them's the breaks. It's business. Flush it and move on.

If it's true that Runza didn't read the RFQ correctly who exactly would they have brought in? Amigos? Valentinos? Maybe it's time for UNL to up their game & try new things.
There is already a Valentino's in the Union. But I think you're absolutely right, whatever local company Runza would have teamed with couldn't even touch Chik-Fil-A and Steak n Shake.
Last edited by Doctor Fate on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3273
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Interesting. When I was at Iowa State some chicken restaurant I can’t remember the name of (not a local one) ran chik-fil-a out.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Steve
Home Owners Association
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Steve »

Bob from Omaha wrote: Steak n Shake is outstanding.

Good to know. I've never been to Steak 'n Shake, so it's good news!
User avatar
Uffda
County Board
Posts: 4621
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Land o Lakes, FL

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Uffda »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Interesting. When I was at Iowa State some chicken restaurant I can’t remember the name of (not a local one) ran chik-fil-a out.
I have never been impressed with chick-fil-a. The sandwiches are ok but nothing that I would need to rush to get all the time.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by damonhynes »

Being Saint Louis born/raised, I'm happy for SNS coming, it'll be less of a trip than Topeka or Kansas City. Just wondering how accessible this will be to the non-UNL public.

For the longest time, the only way you could get CFA in this town was to get onto Mutual of Omaha's campus and I believe it was only open to MoO employees.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8988
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Greg S »

I am glad Steak and Shake is coming but disappointed that it was part of a bid over Runza. Runza gives so much more overall to support UNL. Crazy that it was not factored into decision.

Greg
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by damonhynes »

Greg S wrote:I am glad Steak and Shake is coming but disappointed that it was part of a bid over Runza. Runza gives so much more overall to support UNL. Crazy that it was not factored into decision.

Greg
Yeah, I'm torn. I don't like to eat Runza, but I like them for their community service initiatives.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Busguy2010 »

Steve wrote:
Bob from Omaha wrote: Steak n Shake is outstanding.

Good to know. I've never been to Steak 'n Shake, so it's good news!
Outstanding? I would describe it as good drunk & high food. Every time I go to a city that has it, I get it, and the more I eat it, the less I like it. Same thing happened with Chick-fil-a. Only reason I eat it on occasion is because its a mile away from my house. When they only had the ones in the burbs, I never got it. Steake N Shake would probably be the same deal for me. Would get it every couple months or so if it's close to me. But I'll admit, it would be exciting if they came to Omaha. We've been waiting.
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Doctor Fate »

Greg S wrote:I am glad Steak and Shake is coming but disappointed that it was part of a bid over Runza. Runza gives so much more overall to support UNL. Crazy that it was not factored into decision.

Greg
COO of the College of Business told me that it was factored in and all he would say is that there was a lot of misinformation in the Runza statement.
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by bigredmed1 »

CyborgKen wrote:
Greg S wrote:I am glad Steak and Shake is coming but disappointed that it was part of a bid over Runza. Runza gives so much more overall to support UNL. Crazy that it was not factored into decision.

Greg
COO of the College of Business told me that it was factored in and all he would say is that there was a lot of misinformation in the Runza statement.
Misinformation? No!, Who would think that they would stoop to that? ;)
Would love to see the OWH and LJS actually do some of that new fangled investigational journalism and for UNL to grow a spine when someone dumps on them and let the real information out the back channel so that when they get smeared by GivesMethe Runza, they can fight back.
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by damonhynes »

CyborgKen wrote:
Greg S wrote:I am glad Steak and Shake is coming but disappointed that it was part of a bid over Runza. Runza gives so much more overall to support UNL. Crazy that it was not factored into decision.

Greg
COO of the College of Business told me that it was factored in and all he would say is that there was a lot of misinformation in the Runza statement.
I thought Runza's statement had a smidge of self-aggrandizing butthurtedness in it.
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Doctor Fate »

bigredmed1 wrote:
CyborgKen wrote:
Greg S wrote:I am glad Steak and Shake is coming but disappointed that it was part of a bid over Runza. Runza gives so much more overall to support UNL. Crazy that it was not factored into decision.

Greg
COO of the College of Business told me that it was factored in and all he would say is that there was a lot of misinformation in the Runza statement.
Misinformation? No!, Who would think that they would stoop to that? ;)
Would love to see the OWH and LJS actually do some of that new fangled investigational journalism and for UNL to grow a spine when someone dumps on them and let the real information out the back channel so that when they get smeared by GivesMethe Runza, they can fight back.
Agreed!
User avatar
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Silverspoon »

Thank god! Im tired of driving to North KC to get my fix.
Jim Flowers rules!
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Bob from Omaha »

Is it just me or does anyone else think the statement from the head of Runza contained a not so subtle threat?

"Lemme have my store in the Union or I'm gonna quit giving money to UNL!" "It's not fair! My bid was only $10,000 more than the one that included what was sought by the RFQ."

Look, in Michigan the locals are amazingly horny for all things Michigan-produced, to the extent that Better Made Potato Chips are preferred over Lays because Michigan potatoes are better, I kid you not. Michigan apples, cherries, potato chips, pop, fudge, whatever. It's amazing how Michiganders feel a sense of pride in their state. I rarely saw anything like that in my 50 years living in Nebraska. That people are homering for Runza is good to hear. I wish Nebraskans would feel a desire to support Nebraska companies.

Now, having said that, I find this whole Runza thing silly...read the comments on the Daily Nebraskan site. Riots! Boycotts! Dogs & cats living together! Mass Hysteria!
Padre
Human Relations
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Padre »

Bob from Omaha wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else think the statement from the head of Runza contained a not so subtle threat?

"Lemme have my store in the Union or I'm gonna quit giving money to UNL!" "It's not fair! My bid was only $10,000 more than the one that included what was sought by the RFQ."

Look, in Michigan the locals are amazingly horny for all things Michigan-produced, to the extent that Better Made Potato Chips are preferred over Lays because Michigan potatoes are better, I kid you not. Michigan apples, cherries, potato chips, pop, fudge, whatever. It's amazing how Michiganders feel a sense of pride in their state. I rarely saw anything like that in my 50 years living in Nebraska. That people are homering for Runza is good to hear. I wish Nebraskans would feel a desire to support Nebraska companies.

Now, having said that, I find this whole Runza thing silly...read the comments on the Daily Nebraskan site. Riots! Boycotts! Dogs & cats living together! Mass Hysteria!
Until you posted this, I didn’t know Michigan had its own Government funded potato commission.

http://www.mipotato.com/content.aspx?pa ... _id=266612

The things you learn here! :banana:

(I didn’t see a dancing potato.)
Steve
Home Owners Association
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Steve »

Bob from Omaha wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:17 pm Now, having said that, I find this whole Runza thing silly...read the comments on the Daily Nebraskan site. Riots! Boycotts! Dogs & cats living together! Mass Hysteria!
Completely agree. Ever since Runza quit rewarding the fans for 65 points (Rrrrrrrrrrrrunza!) at the MBB games I boycotted Runza!! j/k
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by damonhynes »

Middle of the spring semester is the latest update. Asbestos was found in the building, which now has to be remediated. OTOH, SNS is coming to West Des Moines this summer (which really means Jan 2020 :-) ), which translates to 40 mi. less per R/T from Omaha compared to KC...
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by damonhynes »

damonhynes wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:44 pm Middle of the spring semester is the latest update. Asbestos was found in the building, which now has to be remediated. OTOH, SNS is coming to West Des Moines this summer (which really means Jan 2020 :-) ), which translates to 40 mi. less per R/T from Omaha compared to KC...
The Whataburger post got me thinking:

Steak 'n Shake was supposed to be putting a unit in West Des Moines but news has dried up--nothing from the property developer, franchisee, corporate. Sadly, this isn't the first time I've seen this relating to an SNS. And this was before COVID.

I tried to get into the UNL Student Union one afternoon last summer for SNS but they closed at 6PM. Wonder how that's going?

SNS and I divorced in January. Last two or three trips were ruined by indiffrent staff, understaffed, and the portion size went to heck. Final straw was Topeka, where it took thirty minutes to get untoasted buns on my burger. If I want to eat picnic food, I'll go to a picnic.

Culvers give me everything SNS used to, including engaged staff.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8988
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Greg S »

damonhynes wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:04 pm
damonhynes wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:44 pm Middle of the spring semester is the latest update. Asbestos was found in the building, which now has to be remediated. OTOH, SNS is coming to West Des Moines this summer (which really means Jan 2020 :-) ), which translates to 40 mi. less per R/T from Omaha compared to KC...
The Whataburger post got me thinking:

Steak 'n Shake was supposed to be putting a unit in West Des Moines but news has dried up--nothing from the property developer, franchisee, corporate. Sadly, this isn't the first time I've seen this relating to an SNS. And this was before COVID.

I tried to get into the UNL Student Union one afternoon last summer for SNS but they closed at 6PM. Wonder how that's going?

SNS and I divorced in January. Last two or three trips were ruined by indiffrent staff, understaffed, and the portion size went to heck. Final straw was Topeka, where it took thirty minutes to get untoasted buns on my burger. If I want to eat picnic food, I'll go to a picnic.

Culvers give me everything SNS used to, including engaged staff.
Yeah I don't think SNS has good service. It's been hit and miss for me. That being said I do prefer it to Culvers. I always have some of their french fry seasoning at home. I definitely think their shakes are far superior to Culvers. Also SNS has the best breakfasts in their class in my opinion.

Greg
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110947
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by nebugeater »

The UNL student union hours are reduced every summer so no surprise they were not open after 6.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8988
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:20 am The UNL student union hours are reduced every summer so no surprise they were not open after 6.
Plus the fact the students got sent home early. I imagine pretty much everything on campus has reduced hours. I believe the bookstore on recently reopened on limited hours.

Greg
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110947
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:17 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:20 am The UNL student union hours are reduced every summer so no surprise they were not open after 6.
Plus the fact the students got sent home early. I imagine pretty much everything on campus has reduced hours. I believe the bookstore on recently reopened on limited hours.

Greg
That is correct. I do believe this was in reference to last summer though.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by damonhynes »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:36 am
Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:17 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:20 am The UNL student union hours are reduced every summer so no surprise they were not open after 6.
Plus the fact the students got sent home early. I imagine pretty much everything on campus has reduced hours. I believe the bookstore on recently reopened on limited hours.

Greg
That is correct. I do believe this was in reference to last summer though.
Yep, this was mid-August.
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Bob from Omaha »

Greg S wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:37 am
Yeah I don't think SNS has good service. It's been hit and miss for me. That being said I do prefer it to Culvers. I always have some of their french fry seasoning at home. I definitely think their shakes are far superior to Culvers. Also SNS has the best breakfasts in their class in my opinion.

Greg
Must be a franchisee issue. The ones here are fast service, good food. I don't think they and Culver's are that similar. Burgers yes but the two have some differences too.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Coyote »

We Finally Know Why Steak 'N Shake Is So Cheap



Mashed

As inflation continues to rise, consumers are left with fewer cheap options when it comes to grabbing a quick bite. You may even find yourself spending more than you had intended at your favorite fast-food joint. But while most other franchises are charging more for their food, there’s one classic dining establishment that continues to keep its prices low: Steak ‘n Shake.

How is it possible that this company keeps delivering delicious burgers and shakes at such a low price? The answer awaits, as we finally know why Steak ‘n Shake is so cheap.

#Burgers #FastFood #Restaurant

Read full article: https://www.mashed.com/748973/we-fina...

Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Athomsfere »

For me, I didn't remember this thread. I'm actually surprised anyone who didn't grow up with steak and shake likes it. It's Freddy's, but without the flavor / quality.
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by damonhynes »

Athomsfere wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:17 am For me, I didn't remember this thread. I'm actually surprised anyone who didn't grow up with steak and shake likes it. It's Freddy's, but without the flavor / quality.
Born in St. Louis, I grew up on the stuff. Gave up because of their portion control and quality challenges about 2 years ago. Culver's and Whataburger nowadays.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Steak 'n Shake - Chick-fil-A pushing out Runza?

Post by Athomsfere »

damonhynes wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:51 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:17 am For me, I didn't remember this thread. I'm actually surprised anyone who didn't grow up with steak and shake likes it. It's Freddy's, but without the flavor / quality.
Born in St. Louis, I grew up on the stuff. Gave up because of their portion control and quality challenges about 2 years ago. Culver's and Whataburger nowadays.
And this was my recommendation. I remember working in St Louis and it was talked up. I was not impressed. Tried it again in other cities (mostly out east) and always ranked it very low. I guess it's like Runza here, or Dicks in Seattle.