Juvenile Justice Center at 18th and Harney - 8 stories
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Juvenile Justice Center at 18th and Harney - 8 stories
Not a mind blowing high rise, but at least HDR is proposing to build something new downtown.. From today’s W-H:
“The development would cost an estimated $120 million and require a property tax increase. An executive from HDR Architecture and the county’s chief administrative officer presented the proposal Tuesday to the Douglas County Board.
The presentation, by HDR First Vice President Bruce Carpenter and the county’s Patrick Bloomingdale, added visual images and more details about the proposed structures, and about how the project would be structured financially.
Their information generally followed what previously has been reported by The World-Herald. A 10-story tower would house Douglas County Juvenile Court judges, courtrooms and related services and agencies, such as juvenile probation, plus the Douglas County Attorney’s and Public Defender’s Offices.”..
The complete story link-
http://www.omaha.com/money/plus/county- ... f65de.html
Ciao..LiO...Peace
“The development would cost an estimated $120 million and require a property tax increase. An executive from HDR Architecture and the county’s chief administrative officer presented the proposal Tuesday to the Douglas County Board.
The presentation, by HDR First Vice President Bruce Carpenter and the county’s Patrick Bloomingdale, added visual images and more details about the proposed structures, and about how the project would be structured financially.
Their information generally followed what previously has been reported by The World-Herald. A 10-story tower would house Douglas County Juvenile Court judges, courtrooms and related services and agencies, such as juvenile probation, plus the Douglas County Attorney’s and Public Defender’s Offices.”..
The complete story link-
http://www.omaha.com/money/plus/county- ... f65de.html
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
PotatoeEatsFish
- Human Relations
- Posts: 796
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
I couldn't see the full rendering but the little I saw looked great! Also where are these things at currently, the courthouse?
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Also from the W-H piece:PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:36 pm Also where are these things at currently, the courthouse?
“Currently, law enforcement officers drive young people accused of offenses from 42nd Street to the courthouse downtown for hearings. Attorneys and probation officers drive to 42nd Street for meetings. Bloomingdale said having a Youth Center downtown would be safer for the youths and officers. It also potentially could reduce the number of days youths, some of whom have simply missed court-ordered appointments, spend in detention waiting for their cases to be processed, he said.”...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Here are the renderings:






-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10812
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Might end up a touch shorter than City Hall.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
ADORE it. Perfect design. (A new proposed tall building is exciting, especially for cities like Omaha & Des Moines, but I'm kinda over "tall" to a degree. Sometimes I find myself liking cities with a tight grouping of medium-tall buildings, like Salt Lake City, Phoenix, San Jose, Portland, ect., has. So, I really like sharp & well-designed, medium-tall buildings, like this, added to Omaha. That would look really nice downtown -- on a human scale. I've read before that skyscrapers mainly work their "visual wonder" from a far. I agree with that. Driving into Chicago vs being downtown, the Sears/Willis Tower is a great example of that dynamic. Anyways, nice building!)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
buildomaha
- Human Relations
- Posts: 700
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
I couldn't agree more. Of course, it would make me sooo happy to have a bigger skyline to take a picture of, but it it benefits to build to the human scale. The logistics of building mid-rise buildings make perfect sense for densifying and urbanizing a population. It's cheaper than huge skyscrapers and still fits a lot of usable space into dense areas. I still wouldn't complain if Omaha got a few skyscraper announcements over the next 10 years!RockHarbor wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:14 pm ADORE it. Perfect design. (A new proposed tall building is exciting, especially for cities like Omaha & Des Moines, but I'm kinda over "tall" to a degree. Sometimes I find myself liking cities with a tight grouping of medium-tall buildings, like Salt Lake City, Phoenix, San Jose, Portland, ect., has. So, I really like sharp & well-designed, medium-tall buildings, like this, added to Omaha. That would look really nice downtown -- on a human scale. I've read before that skyscrapers mainly work their "visual wonder" from a far. I agree with that. Driving into Chicago vs being downtown, the Sears/Willis Tower is a great example of that dynamic. Anyways, nice building!)
#gohawks
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Excellent addition to that core.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
So the angle showing the grassy walkway is right where 18th st currently runs, are the planning on tearing that out??
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3275
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Is the five story building shown in the renderings on the south end part of this project? I was hoping that the existing building on that corner could remain. I think it has a lot of potential.
Otherwise beautiful project.
Otherwise beautiful project.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10812
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
I was assuming that was the parking garage. As far as I know that owner didn't want to sell, but I imagine the county will get their way.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:59 am Is the five story building shown in the renderings on the south end part of this project? I was hoping that the existing building on that corner could remain. I think it has a lot of potential.
Otherwise beautiful project.
-
GenX
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1230
- Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
That’s way too nice of a parking garage for Omaha…iamjacobm wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 amI was assuming that was the parking garage. As far as I know that owner didn't want to sell, but I imagine the county will get their way.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:59 am Is the five story building shown in the renderings on the south end part of this project? I was hoping that the existing building on that corner could remain. I think it has a lot of potential.
Otherwise beautiful project.
-
Lillian Bean
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 99
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 am
- Location: Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
“It’s not for sale,” Perrin told The World-Herald. ... “I intend on using the building and continuing to use it, and make it a viable part of the community,” Perrin said.iamjacobm wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 amI was assuming that was the parking garage. As far as I know that owner didn't want to sell, but I imagine the county will get their way.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:59 am Is the five story building shown in the renderings on the south end part of this project? I was hoping that the existing building on that corner could remain. I think it has a lot of potential.
Otherwise beautiful project.
http://www.omaha.com/news/plus/douglas- ... 784ae.html
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
-
admiralArchArch
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:34 pm
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
This is pretty vague schematic rendering...probably wont look anything like this. The intention is to show mass and organizational concepts.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
I'm glad you see what I mean. Cities that don't have very tall skylines have a nice look to them, too. In fact, it seems I read that Portland views their tallest as "too tall" for them nowadays, with the mindset they currently have. (Portland certainly is not trying to be Seattle, and sometimes I wonder if their aim for shorter buildings is part of that.) I forgot to mention Boise, Albuquerque, and Columbia, SC in that group of cities I mentioned. (For example: See the difference between Boise & Little Rock? Boise doesn't seem to care about looking tall, but Little Rock does.) Some cities don't want skyscrapers as part of their look, or have a height restrictions. Don't get me wrong, people will always be intrigued by the next tallest building, though. I certainly am. Those new Saudi skyscrapers are shocking. I certainly admire New York, Chicago, Shanghai, Hong Kong, ect...for their many skyscrapers. Of course, any of us would be excited for a new "tall boy" for Omaha -- although I'm not sure I personally want anything taller than our FNC. There's a point where a city looks like it is "trying too hard" for its size, imo.buildomaha wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:03 pmI couldn't agree more. Of course, it would make me sooo happy to have a bigger skyline to take a picture of, but it it benefits to build to the human scale. The logistics of building mid-rise buildings make perfect sense for densifying and urbanizing a population. It's cheaper than huge skyscrapers and still fits a lot of usable space into dense areas. I still wouldn't complain if Omaha got a few skyscraper announcements over the next 10 years!RockHarbor wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:14 pm ADORE it. Perfect design. (A new proposed tall building is exciting, especially for cities like Omaha & Des Moines, but I'm kinda over "tall" to a degree. Sometimes I find myself liking cities with a tight grouping of medium-tall buildings, like Salt Lake City, Phoenix, San Jose, Portland, ect., has. So, I really like sharp & well-designed, medium-tall buildings, like this, added to Omaha. That would look really nice downtown -- on a human scale. I've read before that skyscrapers mainly work their "visual wonder" from a far. I agree with that. Driving into Chicago vs being downtown, the Sears/Willis Tower is a great example of that dynamic. Anyways, nice building!)
I wouldn't mind a building this size & proportions for Omaha (tall & strong, maybe a bit taller than the Woodmen, yet not taller than the FNC): https://static.panoramio.com.storage.go ... 193323.jpg I also wouldn't mind more sharp & high-tech "filler" buildings this size: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... pr2010.JPG And: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... 2009-a.JPG
Human scale is a great thing, a great feel, too -- "tall" is not always the most important thing. Just love this new simplistic & sharp & serene design. (There's plenty of neat designs that just could not happen with major thrust & height involved. Height is just not everything.) FDR has a great portfolio, and great designs, imo.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
daveoma
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1213
- Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
I was thinking the same thing. I think it's going to be attached to the east face of city hall.Louie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 am So the angle showing the grassy walkway is right where 18th st currently runs, are the planning on tearing that out??
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Isn't the proposed building on the block south of city hall?
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
As good as this project will be for the proposed functions, I hope the architect who owns the building on the south half of the block won't be forced to sell his building and I hope they will revise the design accordingly and build upwards if they really need the space. I'm not excited about them closing off that stretch of 18th Street either, even though 18th is already blocked north of Harney. HDR just can't resist closing off more of the street grid every chance they get. They closed off 18th for the Douglas County Jail and 15th north of Capitol for the FNB Data Center and Davenport for the OWH Freedom Center, to name a few. As good as they are, sometimes they come into downtown too heavy-handed.
The new Douglas County Youth Detention Center was just built back in the late 1990's, for what it's worth. Probably over $15-20 million. Sorry to be a downer, But maybe there's still time to tweak the design and still get Douglas County what they really need.
The new Douglas County Youth Detention Center was just built back in the late 1990's, for what it's worth. Probably over $15-20 million. Sorry to be a downer, But maybe there's still time to tweak the design and still get Douglas County what they really need.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
obvious2677
- Library Board
- Posts: 278
- Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:43 pm
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
The city has the ability to stop these things.GetUrban wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 pmHDR just can't resist closing off more of the street grid every chance they get. They closed off 18th for the Douglas County Jail and 15th north of Capitol for the FNB Data Center and Davenport for the OWH Freedom Center, to name a few.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
I really thought that after the Doubletree, Omaha had learned its lesson on closing streets...
-
PotatoeEatsFish
- Human Relations
- Posts: 796
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
It's so annoying since these street closings are all so unessisary. Just build up or build over the street.
On the bright side when the Double Tree is torn down Omaha should get a new hotel tower.
On the bright side when the Double Tree is torn down Omaha should get a new hotel tower.
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Correction: It was part of 17th St. that was closed off for the Douglas County Corrections Center (DCCC).obvious2677 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:11 amThe city has the ability to stop these things.GetUrban wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 pmHDR just can't resist closing off more of the street grid every chance they get. They closed off 18th for the Douglas County Jail and 15th north of Capitol for the FNB Data Center and Davenport for the OWH Freedom Center, to name a few.
18th is a good, but minor connection from Harney south to Leavenworth, especially with 17th closed-off.
Some other non-HDR grid busters:
18th St between Farnam and Dodge for federal courthouse
18th St between Harney and Farnam for city-county building
11th & 12th for GLM
16th St from Dodge to Capitol for Hitlon/Red Lion/Double Tree (biggest mistake)
12th St between Farnam and Harney for Landmark Center
And the 4 block Civic site, 1950s
It should be mentioned that most of the original street right-of-ways are 100' wide, which is awfully wide. That made it very tempting to close-off a few.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10812
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
13th St North of Cuming, Kiewit is going to get a street vacated for their new HQ too.GetUrban wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:20 amCorrection: It was part of 17th St. that was closed off for the Douglas County Corrections Center (DCCC).obvious2677 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:11 amThe city has the ability to stop these things.GetUrban wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 pmHDR just can't resist closing off more of the street grid every chance they get. They closed off 18th for the Douglas County Jail and 15th north of Capitol for the FNB Data Center and Davenport for the OWH Freedom Center, to name a few.
18th is a good, but minor connection from Harney south to Leavenworth, especially with 17th closed-off.
Some other non-HDR grid busters:
18th St between Farnam and Dodge for federal courthouse
18th St between Harney and Farnam for city-county building
11th & 12th for GLM
16th St from Dodge to Capitol for Hitlon/Red Lion/Double Tree (biggest mistake)
12th St between Farnam and Harney for Landmark Center
And the 4 block Civic site, 1950s
It should be mentioned that most of the original street right-of-ways are 100' wide, which is awfully wide. That made it very tempting to close-off a few.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
They're tearing down the Double Tree?!?! I never heard this before. What will the new one look like?? All these HDR grid closings have totally flown over my head, btw. Never noticed them. Interesting.PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am It's so annoying since these street closings are all so unessisary. Just build up or build over the street.
On the bright side when the Double Tree is torn down Omaha should get a new hotel tower.![]()
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
PotatoeEatsFish
- Human Relations
- Posts: 796
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
In the next 50 years, the 2050 master plan says it probably will.RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 pmThey're tearing down the Double Tree?!?! I never heard this before. What will the new one look like?? All these HDR grid closings have totally flown over my head, btw. Never noticed them. Interesting.PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am It's so annoying since these street closings are all so unessisary. Just build up or build over the street.
On the bright side when the Double Tree is torn down Omaha should get a new hotel tower.![]()
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
This is FALSE NEWS RockHarbor..PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:21 pmIn the next 50 years, the 2050 master plan says it probably will.RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 pmThey're tearing down the Double Tree?!?! I never heard this before. What will the new one look like?? All these HDR grid closings have totally flown over my head, btw. Never noticed them. Interesting.PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am It's so annoying since these street closings are all so unessisary. Just build up or build over the street.
On the bright side when the Double Tree is torn down Omaha should get a new hotel tower.![]()
I think “PotatoeEatsFish” was just trying to be funny...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Gotcha. I read it as fact. Thanks.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 pmThis is FALSE NEWS RockHarbor..PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:21 pmIn the next 50 years, the 2050 master plan says it probably will.RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 pmThey're tearing down the Double Tree?!?! I never heard this before. What will the new one look like?? All these HDR grid closings have totally flown over my head, btw. Never noticed them. Interesting.PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am It's so annoying since these street closings are all so unessisary. Just build up or build over the street.
On the bright side when the Double Tree is torn down Omaha should get a new hotel tower.![]()
I think “PotatoeEatsFish” was just trying to be funny...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4693
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Actually it is in the current master plan that the expect the Doubletree and old FNB to be torn down.RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:26 pmGotcha. I read it as fact. Thanks.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 pmThis is FALSE NEWS RockHarbor..PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:21 pmIn the next 50 years, the 2050 master plan says it probably will.RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 pmThey're tearing down the Double Tree?!?! I never heard this before. What will the new one look like?? All these HDR grid closings have totally flown over my head, btw. Never noticed them. Interesting.PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am It's so annoying since these street closings are all so unessisary. Just build up or build over the street.
On the bright side when the Double Tree is torn down Omaha should get a new hotel tower.![]()
I think “PotatoeEatsFish” was just trying to be funny...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Honestly, unless something sweepingly dramatic happens.. I don't see the Double Tree Hotel getting torn down in my lifetime or maybe even yours eitherGarrett wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:15 amActually it is in the current master plan that the expect the Doubletree and old FNB to be torn down.RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:26 pmGotcha. I read it as fact. Thanks.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 pmThis is FALSE NEWS RockHarbor..PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:21 pmIn the next 50 years, the 2050 master plan says it probably will.RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 pmThey're tearing down the Double Tree?!?! I never heard this before. What will the new one look like?? All these HDR grid closings have totally flown over my head, btw. Never noticed them. Interesting.PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am It's so annoying since these street closings are all so unessisary. Just build up or build over the street.
On the bright side when the Double Tree is torn down Omaha should get a new hotel tower.![]()
I think “PotatoeEatsFish” was just trying to be funny...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
I dont mind the "good ole' Red Lion", although it is embarrasing that's still basically our one & only true lofty downtown hotel. (Well, the new Marriott is at least a step back in that direction.) When I was a kid, I was taken to the top restaurant for my birthday, so I could look out at the city. Good memories. To think, looking at Downtown Omaha from the 250' hieght was such a big deal to me back then.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:14 pmHonestly, unless something sweepingly dramatic happens.. I don't see the Double Tree Hotel getting torn down in my lifetime or maybe even yours eitherGarrett wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:15 amActually it is in the current master plan that the expect the Doubletree and old FNB to be torn down.RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:26 pmGotcha. I read it as fact. Thanks.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 pmThis is FALSE NEWS RockHarbor..PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:21 pmIn the next 50 years, the 2050 master plan says it probably will.RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 pmThey're tearing down the Double Tree?!?! I never heard this before. What will the new one look like?? All these HDR grid closings have totally flown over my head, btw. Never noticed them. Interesting.PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am It's so annoying since these street closings are all so unessisary. Just build up or build over the street.
On the bright side when the Double Tree is torn down Omaha should get a new hotel tower.![]()
I think “PotatoeEatsFish” was just trying to be funny...
Ciao..LiO...Peace.. We shall see...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnew ... 1200%2C820 (Even though I am so glad Omaha has a DoubleTree, as back when I was very young, cities like Dallas & Houston had DoubleTree Hotels, so I associated them with "higher tier" cities, I still liked Red Lion's logo at the top of it better.)
I keep looking at how nice this new building is. I almost think: "If you're naughty in Omaha, you get a nice, pretty, modern building to report downtown to, and a pretty Tudor mansion to live at out at Boys Town. NICE." (Lol... Growing up, I used to think: "Those naughty & rebellious boys in Boys Town get to live in a nicer house than I do." The reality is, in a more mature mindset: Some of those boys really come from troubled backgrounds, so I'm glad they have Boys Town and a nice house to get their lives straightened out.) This is more a justice center for judges, courtrooms, ect., if I'm looking at things correctly. They should get a nice environment to work in, and conduct their business in.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
Erik
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1524
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
All I care about with this development is whether or not the k8ds get the treatment they need. In rare cases, including this one, I couldnt care less about what the building looks like.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
No doubt Erik, I agree. The kids/treatment is priority one..Erik wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 pm All I care about with this development is whether or not the k8ds get the treatment they need. In rare cases, including this one, I couldnt care less about what the building looks like.
At the end of the day, if the building ends up looking nice, that’s an added bonus...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Per my comment, jumping at the chance to show everyone you're a "saint", I see. People are always sooo predictable. By the way, I care what the building looks like in EVERY case, including one for juveniles that need to grow the heck up and get their act together -- and not afraid to state it. (So does the architect of any building. So do the owners of a building who hire the janitor. So does the janitor, if he/she cares about the quaility of their work.) Therefore, stating that doesn't make me a "sinner" or a "saint." It makes me logical, real & believable.Erik wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 pm All I care about with this development is whether or not the k8ds get the treatment they need. In rare cases, including this one, I couldnt care less about what the building looks like.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Well said. I'll add that a building CAN do both. They're not mutually exclusive. It can meet all of the user's functional and human needs while simultaneously being an important, exciting, and artful contribution to our built environment. Most architects get this and strive to achieve that goal. It's nice you care about the kids, but that doesn't mean the building has to be banal. The kids might actually get some enjoyment from their stay if the facility is a pleasant environment. Who knows, maybe it will even spark their interest in becoming an architect, engineer, skilled trades person, or contractor someday!RockHarbor wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:34 pmPer my comment, jumping at the chance to show everyone you're a "saint", I see. People are always sooo predictable. By the way, I care what the building looks like in EVERY case, including one for juveniles that need to grow the heck up and get their act together -- and not afraid to state it. (So does the architect of any building. So do the owners of a building who hire the janitor. So does the janitor, if he/she cares about the quaility of their work.) Therefore, stating that doesn't make me a "sinner" or a "saint." It makes me logical, real & believable.Erik wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 pm All I care about with this development is whether or not the k8ds get the treatment they need. In rare cases, including this one, I couldnt care less about what the building looks like.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
RockHarbor
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
- Location: Silver State
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Thanks. I stand by my point, although I probably got a little defensive. I was a little irritated to begin with yesterday... You're right; It can be all things at once -- it doesnt have to be one or the other. Of course, I want a nice building for anybody/everybody -- not a freaky or scary one. Sometimes, I know a nice environment can motivate & inspire -- like you mentioned. But, I dont think people should get it because people feel "soooo sorry" for them. We've all had challenges... Gosh, look at Walt Disney's childhood story. Nobody felt sorry him when he was put out delivering his dad's newspapers in three feet of snow every cold night... Some of these kids have had rough backgrounds, and lack of good authority, but some of them are lazy, think they can take & steal what doesnt belong to them, think they are entitled to things, yet play XBox all day... As long as people are making excuse after excuse in life, blaming everybody else, and not trying their best, I dont feel sorry for people. But, some people do need a helping hand to get their lives straightened out. As long as people are improving, learning & growing... (And, that includes me & all of us.) I'm a "mercy mixed with discipline" type.GetUrban wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:20 amWell said. I'll add that a building CAN do both. They're not mutually exclusive. It can meet all of the user's functional and human needs while simultaneously being an important, exciting, and artful contribution to our built environment. Most architects get this and strive to achieve that goal. It's nice you care about the kids, but that doesn't mean the building has to be banal. The kids might actually get some enjoyment from their stay if the facility is a pleasant environment. Who knows, maybe it will even spark their interest in becoming an architect, engineer, skilled trades person, or contractor someday!RockHarbor wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:34 pmPer my comment, jumping at the chance to show everyone you're a "saint", I see. People are always sooo predictable. By the way, I care what the building looks like in EVERY case, including one for juveniles that need to grow the heck up and get their act together -- and not afraid to state it. (So does the architect of any building. So do the owners of a building who hire the janitor. So does the janitor, if he/she cares about the quaility of their work.) Therefore, stating that doesn't make me a "sinner" or a "saint." It makes me logical, real & believable.Erik wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 pm All I care about with this development is whether or not the k8ds get the treatment they need. In rare cases, including this one, I couldnt care less about what the building looks like.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
-
iamjacobm
- City Council
- Posts: 10812
- Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
- Location: Chicago
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
https://www.omaha.com/money/development ... 074d2.htmlLillian Bean wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm“It’s not for sale,” Perrin told The World-Herald. ... “I intend on using the building and continuing to use it, and make it a viable part of the community,” Perrin said.iamjacobm wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 amI was assuming that was the parking garage. As far as I know that owner didn't want to sell, but I imagine the county will get their way.TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:59 am Is the five story building shown in the renderings on the south end part of this project? I was hoping that the existing building on that corner could remain. I think it has a lot of potential.
Otherwise beautiful project.
http://www.omaha.com/news/plus/douglas- ... 784ae.html
The Douglas County Board will consider using eminent domain to acquire a property near 18th and Howard Streets for its proposed $120 million juvenile justice center.
The resolution to initiate acquisition proceedings — along with several other key steps forward for the justice center — will go before the board Tuesday morning.
The property’s owner, architect Bob Perrin, rejected the county’s offer to buy his four-story, 40,000-square-foot office building at 420 S. 18th St., for $900,000 back in May.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Sounds like Perrin is quite attached to that building.
-
ricko
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1452
- Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Wouldn't it be cool if the city spent $120 million on early childhood development, parenting classes and mentoring programs for the city's dysfunctional population (rich and poor, BTW) so that we wouldn't have to worry about so many young people down the road ending up in a pretty warehouse like this? Just sayin'.
-
Rehulk
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
Because, the city dies spend money on such programs and these problems are not just rooted in the lack of afternoon basketball camps. Kids and teenagers rebel against their parents and some just dint have then around so they do stupid |expletive|. With the city grown they need more space and some times random wearhouses need to be bulldozed so the city can function properly.ricko wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 pm Wouldn't it be cool if the city spent $120 million on early childhood development, parenting classes and mentoring programs for the city's dysfunctional population (rich and poor, BTW) so that we wouldn't have to worry about so many young people down the road ending up in a pretty warehouse like this? Just sayin'.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Proposed Justice Center at 18th and Harney- 10 stories
I saw him on a KETV story early this morning..
He’s presenting his side to the County board today from what I understand...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!