1502 California St building by Sols could easily be converted into office or apt space.ita wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:43 amI agree with your assessment concerning this particular project. There has been some reuse of buildings recently in North Downtown, particularly for residential purposes. However, there are blocks of buildings in North Downtown that really can't be repurposed, at least in a way that would be meaningful and/or increase value/use of the real estate. Their proposals are not perfect. I would personally like to see more density, for sure, in this plan. But I am not opposed to seeing some of these blocks cleared of the light industrial and one story commercial buildings (I'm looking at you, Sol's) that occupy lots and blocks that could be used for better purposes and bring people to the area.skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:27 am I hope that this doesn't come to fruition. I don't understand the short-sightedness that so many of the Omaha developers have. When you travel to other cities, they embrace the existing architecture already in place and try to find other uses. I don't understand why in Omaha this always starts with the buildings being torn down with no concrete plans in sight. We don't need any more empty parking lots or mid-rise buildings with no street level pedestrian space.
Aksarben Village is a little different in that there was nothing there since the horse track closed, but in this case downtown, they should revitalize the old buildings and build around them.
I am also pretty sure that any of these buildings are easily convertible.




