User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10820
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
I didn't want to snip that b/c I don't think it is a rendering for Omaha. I think those pictures in that plat doc were more concepts of what things could look like from other projects. I could be wrong though.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10820
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Here is the phase info straight from the documents given to the city.

1A Estimated Delivery 2021:
375 MF Units
720 Stall Garage
42K SF of Ground Floor Retail/Office
Activated and Amenitized Boulevard

1B Estimated Delivery 2022:
220 Key Hotel
284 Stall Garage
25K SF of ground floor retail

2A Estimated Deliver 2024:
237 MF units
550 Stall Garage
20K SF ground floor retail/flex

2B Estimated Delivery 2023:
250K SF office space
750 stall garage

2C Estimated Delivery 2024:
7500 SF of Event Space

4A Estimated Delivery 2025
200K SF of office
750 stall garage

4B Estimated Delivery 2026:
250 unit high rise MF or condo
375 stall garage

Totals:
862 Residential Units
450K SF Office Space
87K SF Retail Space
220 Hotel Rooms
7500 SF Event Space
3429 Parking Stalls
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Cermak
Planning Board
Wonder what chances are this actually gets built out as proposed?
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Louie
County Board
That office is bold. Love it.
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Cermak wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:54 pm Wonder what chances are this actually gets built out as proposed?
One Jimmy Johns
One Check Cashing Place
One Subway
One Runza (if you're lucky)
One Empty Space
One Dollar Store
One Pawn Shop
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Cermak
Planning Board
The Runza would be nice. We don’t have one downtown.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Louie wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 pm That office is bold. Love it.
Agreed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ita
County Board
Posts: 4750
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
ita
County Board
Nearly 3500 in parking stalls...I thought we were trying to move towards more public transportation, especially downtown. It would be nice to see that reduced somewhat and replaced with other uses, especially as the ORBT line is rolled out... and if we ever get going on with that darn Street Car :;):.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4708
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
stormchaser wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:05 pm Wow, this is a fairly tall building. Is this really part of this development? Nothing previously looked this tall. Any idea what it is?? (found it in the renderings here: https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ber/11.pdf)

**Edit: Looks like it's 2B which is 250,000 square feet of office space so apparently it is...

Image
Based on my count that's 31 stories, but a fair amount of it looks residential (the balconies).

Based on the building height calculator, that's somewhere between 350 and 450 ft tall depending on the usage.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10820
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
I am fairly confident that is an early rendering for a Hines project that just broke ground in Dallas.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the specific design or floor count there right now. I think just the fact that they have a highrise in their sights is the big news.
MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2958
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome
MadMartin8
Planning Board
Stupid question, so bear with me here. But what height does a building become technically a "high rise"?
No posts exist for this topic
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4708
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
MadMartin8 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:31 pm Stupid question, so bear with me here. But what height does a building become technically a "high rise"?
It varies from entity to entity and from place to place, but most architects usually accept anything above 8 stories.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Cermak
Planning Board
I’ve heard 12 floors is technically a high rise. Obviously 12 floors is nothing in NYC but a big deal in Sioux City.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10820
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
ita wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:51 pm Nearly 3500 in parking stalls...I thought we were trying to move towards more public transportation, especially downtown. It would be nice to see that reduced somewhat and replaced with other uses, especially as the ORBT line is rolled out... and if we ever get going on with that darn Street Car :;):.
I didn't catch it the first time through the TIF doc, but the city is financing the first garage.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
iamjacobm wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:22 pm I am fairly confident that is an early rendering for a Hines project that just broke ground in Dallas.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the specific design or floor count there right now. I think just the fact that they have a highrise in their sights is the big news.
I agree, it will be interesting to see how things come together. Looks like the image of that high rise is not in-fact from this development (as you suspected) and is instead from "La Colombe d'Or" in Houston, TX (which is a Hines project) - https://munozalbin.com/project/la-colombe-dor/


Image
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10820
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
stormchaser wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:15 pm
iamjacobm wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:22 pm I am fairly confident that is an early rendering for a Hines project that just broke ground in Dallas.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the specific design or floor count there right now. I think just the fact that they have a highrise in their sights is the big news.
I agree, it will be interesting to see how things come together. Looks like the image of that high rise is from "La Colombe d'Or" in Houston, TX (which is a Hines project) - https://munozalbin.com/project/la-colombe-dor/
You might be right. I thought it looked an awful lot like The Victor which just broke ground in Dallas. I think they both are the same architect and obviously have very similar design elements.

Image
ita
County Board
Posts: 4750
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
ita
County Board
I find it interesting that both this and the Riverfront Revitalization have a similar timeline for total built out, around 2025-26. With Kiewit in North DT and the Builders District and Millwork Commons north of Cuming, and even River's Edge in CB, we will be looking at a completely transformed DT in less than 10 years. Despite the concerns that developments like Hearwood and Avenue One may have an impact on DT growth, I may be wrong, but I don't think we have to worry.
MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2958
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome
MadMartin8
Planning Board
Garrett wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:36 pm
MadMartin8 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:31 pm Stupid question, so bear with me here. But what height does a building become technically a "high rise"?
It varies from entity to entity and from place to place, but most architects usually accept anything above 8 stories.

Thanks! Always been curious about that.
No posts exist for this topic
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4708
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
iamjacobm wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:53 pm
ita wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:51 pm Nearly 3500 in parking stalls...I thought we were trying to move towards more public transportation, especially downtown. It would be nice to see that reduced somewhat and replaced with other uses, especially as the ORBT line is rolled out... and if we ever get going on with that darn Street Car :;):.
I didn't catch it the first time through the TIF doc, but the city is financing the first garage.
Take that up with the city. Parking minimums are a legal thing.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GetUrban
Planning Board
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha
GetUrban
Planning Board
MadMartin8 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:42 pm
Garrett wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:36 pm
MadMartin8 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:31 pm Stupid question, so bear with me here. But what height does a building become technically a "high rise"?
It varies from entity to entity and from place to place, but most architects usually accept anything above 8 stories.

Thanks! Always been curious about that.
According to the International Building Code (IBC) "A high-rise building is defined in Chapter 2 of the IBC as a “building with an occupied floor located more than 75 feet (22 860 mm) above the lowest level of fire department vehicle access.”"
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10820
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Garrett wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:25 pm
iamjacobm wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:53 pm
ita wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:51 pm Nearly 3500 in parking stalls...I thought we were trying to move towards more public transportation, especially downtown. It would be nice to see that reduced somewhat and replaced with other uses, especially as the ORBT line is rolled out... and if we ever get going on with that darn Street Car :;):.
I didn't catch it the first time through the TIF doc, but the city is financing the first garage.
Take that up with the city. Parking minimums are a legal thing.
CBD doesn't have parking minimums in Omaha. The garage portion being financed by the city is surely at the request of the developer for financial reasons.
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm
User avatar
stormchaser
Planning Board
World Herald's story about this redevelopment which includes a few renderings - https://www.omaha.com/money/development ... fd881.html


Image

Image
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3279
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
Location: St. Louis
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
This looks like a really good project. Perhaps a little more parking than necessary, but in general I hope it turns out as planned.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Stvbec74
Home Owners Association
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:50 pm
Stvbec74
Home Owners Association
This is definitely a project to be excited about! :yes:
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 am
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
What happens to Heartland of America Park? Looks like it is about half gone now.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3279
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:08 am
Location: St. Louis
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
bigredmed1 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 pm What happens to Heartland of America Park? Looks like it is about half gone now.
It's a bit deceiving from that picture but nothing actually, unless you count the private grassy fields that only employees of the office park were allowed to go into. Most of those are going away. Other than that, the lake and trail stay unchanged.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10820
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: ↑Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:22 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 pm What happens to Heartland of America Park? Looks like it is about half gone now.
It's a bit deceiving from that picture but nothing actually, unless you count the private grassy fields that only employees of the office park were allowed to go into. Most of those are going away. Other than that, the lake and trail stay unchanged.
A bit might be chopped off the northern part of the lake for the Riverfront Park expansion. Like you said though a very large chunk of that greenspace was actually fenced off and not open to the general public.

The only accessible park space going away is the front lawn that faces 10th. That land has been Conagra's all along though, not city property.
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
I know, I know. I posted quite a few times before about Conagra and Jobbers Canyon and the atmosphere in the mid 80s.

HOWEVER, this whole convoluted plan is happening because one guy with a huge ego wanted his own empire downtown and a punk with a thing for Giordano's can't wait the 10 or so years to get some in Omaha.

I'm sorry but looking at the renderings and map all I can do is feel bad that what could have been a comprehensive, interesting and important part of downtown Omaha and it's skyline will instead be this hodge podge of I have no idea what with mid rise buildings at best.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
I’ll reserve any further opinion on this development until I see more “visual aid” and get more detail on its upcoming phases..

As much as the Mike Harper/ConAgra/Jobbers Canyon demolition sucked (and it did, BIG TIME),. My hope is the city makes the most out of this development moving forward. I’d be lying if I thought this initial plan wasn’t a good start...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Cermak
Planning Board
Looks good, big improvement over how it looks now. A little concerned about how easy it will be to fill up the retail part though.
User avatar
bmt
Home Owners Association
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:46 am
Location: Hastings
User avatar
bmt
Home Owners Association
Anyone else a little concerned about the phase 1 building taking up 2 blocks? I would rather see that split into 2 separate buildings.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
bmt wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 pm Anyone else a little concerned about the phase 1 building taking up 2 blocks? I would rather see that split into 2 separate buildings.
I agree, I would rather have the blocks divided up. That is one area that I feel that downtown Omaha really misses on. Developers feel that every development needs to be a super block. When you have streets that don't go through, it really ruins them and makes them less pedestrian friendly. Look at the Landmark block or the Doubletree Hotel block as examples.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4750
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
ita
County Board
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 pm
bmt wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 pm Anyone else a little concerned about the phase 1 building taking up 2 blocks? I would rather see that split into 2 separate buildings.
I agree, I would rather have the blocks divided up. That is one area that I feel that downtown Omaha really misses on. Developers feel that every development needs to be a super block. When you have streets that don't go through, it really ruins them and makes them less pedestrian friendly. Look at the Landmark block or the Doubletree Hotel block as examples.
I agree with these points. They could incorporate some pass through for the public to get from Harney to Farnam about where 9th street would be, but the design doesn't seem to incorporate anything like that. Too bad.
GetUrban
Planning Board
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha
GetUrban
Planning Board
ita wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:49 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 pm
bmt wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 pm Anyone else a little concerned about the phase 1 building taking up 2 blocks? I would rather see that split into 2 separate buildings.
I agree, I would rather have the blocks divided up. That is one area that I feel that downtown Omaha really misses on. Developers feel that every development needs to be a super block. When you have streets that don't go through, it really ruins them and makes them less pedestrian friendly. Look at the Landmark block or the Doubletree Hotel block as examples.
I agree with these points. They could incorporate some pass through for the public to get from Harney to Farnam about where 9th street would be, but the design doesn't seem to incorporate anything like that. Too bad.
I also agree. Now that we have another chance, it's still not too late to learn from our past mistakes! There just needs to be more consensus between competing parties. It's the role of city leaders, planners and hired architects to make sure past mistakes aren't repeated. But they have to agree on what the mistakes were first.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
User avatar
RockHarbor
Planning Board
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:42 pm
Location: Silver State
User avatar
RockHarbor
Planning Board
How's spacious & loose & open "Brasilia, NE" coming along? (Lol...jk. I still think "Grrr!" overall towards this project, and Omaha not working towards becoming more tight & urban. And, that's why I can only check-in here once in awhile. I get too obsessive with the O.) I do like that office building, too.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Cermak
Planning Board
Hines has a good reputation. With them involved I’m hoping this will be successful and look good.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
The Embassy Suites here is doing major renovations.
$2,775,000.00 Guestroom and Guestroom Corridor Renovation
$1,950,000.00 Public Space Renovation
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Location: Westside
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Coyote wrote: ↑Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:14 am The Embassy Suites here is doing major renovations.
$2,775,000.00 Guestroom and Guestroom Corridor Renovation
$1,950,000.00 Public Space Renovation
Glad to see they're reinvesting in this property. It was beginning to look a little worn down. With all of the new hotels in DT/North Downtown over the last couple of years, this is needed to remain competitive.
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1235
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 am
Location: Omaha
GenX
Parks & Recreation
ita wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:49 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 pm
bmt wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 pm Anyone else a little concerned about the phase 1 building taking up 2 blocks? I would rather see that split into 2 separate buildings.
I agree, I would rather have the blocks divided up. That is one area that I feel that downtown Omaha really misses on. Developers feel that every development needs to be a super block. When you have streets that don't go through, it really ruins them and makes them less pedestrian friendly. Look at the Landmark block or the Doubletree Hotel block as examples.
I agree with these points. They could incorporate some pass through for the public to get from Harney to Farnam about where 9th street would be, but the design doesn't seem to incorporate anything like that. Too bad.
I'm also not a fan of super blocks, but I'm okay with it in this instance because the block to the north is also a super block. At least Harney and 8th street will finally be connected again.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2334
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Cermak
Planning Board
ConAgra stock in the dumps, hope it doesn’t delay this project.