Here is an article highlighting some of the proposals from the first meeting of the year:
http://netnebraska.org/article/news/120 ... sm-housing
One that caught my attention was a bill to prohibit cities from zoning for single residential to help the growing (affordable) housing crisis. I think it is a pretty good idea and novel approach to the issue of rising home costs. I thought it was interesting, though, that a representative from Gothenburg thinks that a teacher could afford what he says is affordable housing, somewhere between $200-250k. I am pretty sure a teacher making $35k a year would struggle to afford even a $200k home, unless they were single or have kids with a working spouse/significant other.
I am sure there are ways to get the price of a new home down. The infill townhomes that are currently marketed and being now built by Legacy in Omaha start in that price range, and they are fairly nice.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3132 ... 861_zpid/9. There are other alternatives to promote denser housing, and in turn more affordable housing, that I think the legislature should consider like restricting tax valuations on apartments, condos, and townhomes. In Omaha, OPS is trying to address the housing problem by creating workforce housing for its staff and teachers by converting the Yates community center. Maybe the state can incentivize similar projects with state funds.