Reece Ristau / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Ralston City Council on Tuesday unanimously approved the contract with Spectra Venue Management, a Philadelphia-based entertainment company.
Well good luck with that Ralston. This will prove to be a first class example of whats known as "Throwing good money after bad." If this so called professional management firm knows how to make a couple other local arenas go away they will do great.....otherwise they are like ticks and fleas sucking the blood out of a dying dog.
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:06 pm
Well good luck with that Ralston. This will prove to be a first class example of whats known as "Throwing good money after bad." If this so called professional management firm knows how to make a couple other local arenas go away they will do great.....otherwise they are like ticks and fleas sucking the blood out of a dying dog.
As someone who has spent and spends a lot of time at Ralston Arena due to hockey, this is a good move. There are so many ways they could imrove their operations.
Just brainstorming, but maybe they need to consider something like a Fall/Winter /Spring version of the type of lineup Stir Cove offers in the Summer. Stir Cove seems to have a successful business model, and frankly, it ain't exactly the best looking venue in the area---kinda looks thrown together at the last minute, but they seem to bring them in anyways. I guess that would involve partnering with the services of a production company that excels at that kinda thing. They just need to be more creative about marketing themselves to the community at large with things the locals want.
I'm not too familiar with what went into Ralston basically selling part of the arena due to a budget shortfall and now buying it back, but this all sounds pretty questionable to me. It seems bizarre at best and somewhat shady at worst. Kind of feels like they were robbing Peter to pay Paul and wasting money in the process. Thoughts?
Now that the arena is in place, the city is considering how to use it as a starting point to realize the original revitalization goals.
To foster that development, the city is currently working on a 10-year plan that will, among other things, re-imagine Country Club Road — a six-block stretch of tree-lined street that leads to Ralston's historic downtown. Groesser sees it as a walkway that could eventually rival downtown Omaha in terms of accessibility and atmosphere.
Really? He needs more attainable goals, maybe shoot for a Benson activity level before trying to rival downtown Omaha.
“It's a really walkable distance,” Groesser said. “That's shorter than the walk from the Old Market to the CenturyLink Center. I can see the arena and our downtown area taking on that kind of a feel.”
Again, not happening. That "kind of feel" includes hundreds of millions in development and city investment over decades. I get that the Ralston mayor is excited for their arena, but he is just getting crazy here. I think one of the city's councilmen have much more realistic goals here.
A newer strip-mall development on the east side of the intersection of 72nd and Q Streets that currently sits mostly empty will be much easier to fill with increased traffic for some 200 days each year, said Krause.
Just a reminder of how much Ralston leadership was either out of touch or lying about The potential of this arena and area.
S.O.Boy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:42 pm
I wonder if the consultant that sold them on this idea is still laughing. Why would an arena in Ralston be more attractive then one next to a casino?
Which arena/casino combo are you comparing this to?
S.O.Boy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:42 pm
I wonder if the consultant that sold them on this idea is still laughing. Why would an arena in Ralston be more attractive then one next to a casino?
Which arena/casino combo are you comparing this to?
Greg
Obviously that would be Council Bluffs...........And yes the consultants are laughing all the way to the bank.
S.O.Boy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:42 pm
I wonder if the consultant that sold them on this idea is still laughing. Why would an arena in Ralston be more attractive then one next to a casino?
Which arena/casino combo are you comparing this to?
Greg
Obviously that would be Council Bluffs...........And yes the consultants are laughing all the way to the bank.
You would think, but can you come up with an arena anywhere that's used less than the MAC? I think the last time I was there it was 10+ years ago for a Killer's concert. Going forward they are best fully converting to a youth sports complex.
S.O.Boy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:42 pm
I wonder if the consultant that sold them on this idea is still laughing. Why would an arena in Ralston be more attractive then one next to a casino?
Which arena/casino combo are you comparing this to?
Greg
Obviously that would be Council Bluffs...........And yes the consultants are laughing all the way to the bank.
You would think, but can you come up with an arena anywhere that's used less than the MAC? I think the last time I was there it was 10+ years ago for a Killer's concert. Going forward they are best fully converting to a youth sports complex.
Greg
Obviously his point was...... How in the name of common sense was the Ralston arena going to make a profit if the arena in Council Bluffs that is sitting right next to a casino can't make it?
S.O.Boy wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:42 pm
I wonder if the consultant that sold them on this idea is still laughing. Why would an arena in Ralston be more attractive then one next to a casino?
Which arena/casino combo are you comparing this to?
Greg
Obviously that would be Council Bluffs...........And yes the consultants are laughing all the way to the bank.
You would think, but can you come up with an arena anywhere that's used less than the MAC? I think the last time I was there it was 10+ years ago for a Killer's concert. Going forward they are best fully converting to a youth sports complex.
Greg
Obviously his point was...... How in the name of common sense was the Ralston arena going to make a profit if the arena in Council Bluffs that is sitting right next to a casino can't make it?
There can a advantage to being next to a casino but by no means is that the key one or a key one. it obviously has not worked in CB as that arena has failed more than any other in the area and is the only one by a casino.
Greg S wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:10 pm Going forward they are best fully converting to a youth sports complex.
Greg
That is the hot trend for private and public. In 5 years will we be discussing why so many were built?
If you are talking youth sports complexes in our area, I would say know. When I compare what we have here to other cities I go to, we just don't compete.
Anyone know what happened? Must have been serious, they just got the ice finished yesterday for tomorrow's game. Most teams don't like playing on new ice.
LANCERS RESCHEDULE POSTPONED HOME OPENER
OMAHA AND SIOUX CITY AGREE ON NEW DATE FOR WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE LANCER'S HOME OPENER Due to mechanical issues at Ralston Arena, the Lancers were forced to postpone their home opener against the Sioux City Musketeers, which was originally expected to be played on Friday, October 8th at 7:05 P.M.
After a few days of discussion, the Lancers and Musketeers have agreed on a new date for the game, which is now scheduled for Saturday, October 16th at 6:05 P.M. at Ralston Arena.
All tickets purchased for the original game on October 8th will be accepted.
If I had to guess? supply chain issues for parts or something? Or labor shortage? I know nothing about what happened, but that seems to be the theme for 2021.
Change is in the air in Ralston as city officials said Monday there will be a new name and naming rights partner for the city’s arena.
Officials state the new name and partner will be announced at a 10 a.m. news conference on Wednesday that will be held at the arena located near 72nd and Q streets.
Change is in the air in Ralston as city officials said Monday there will be a new name and naming rights partner for the city’s arena.
Officials state the new name and partner will be announced at a 10 a.m. news conference on Wednesday that will be held at the arena located near 72nd and Q streets.
Change is in the air in Ralston as city officials said Monday there will be a new name and naming rights partner for the city’s arena.
Officials state the new name and partner will be announced at a 10 a.m. news conference on Wednesday that will be held at the arena located near 72nd and Q streets.
Any guesses?
I'm guessing another car dealership. Or Mega Saver.
Love all the guesses. I was thinking Woodhouse, but Mega Saver would be great as well. Haha. If only King Kong could afford to have their name on the Ralston, that would be awesome. I wonder if there are other homegrown businesses that would want some additional clout in the community like Medical Solutions or Greater Omaha Packing.
I just remembered: the last go-round for Ralston Arena naming rights the high bidder was Limitless Male, but they decided against it for image purposes. With the Lancers struggling are they more desperate for some money? Limitless Male Arena hosting lingerie football would be very on brand.
I'm told it came down to them vs. Pepsi. Bidding war. Southwest Airlines CEO said it was out of their budget, Pizza Hut threw in the towel, Nike said we give up, and on and on