Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by Busguy2010 »

Garrett wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:06 pm None of those buildings are Prairie style.
Alllright :roll: The "foursquare" inherently has elements of "craftsman" and "prairie style". You can call it what you want. The low angle roof and long overhangs lead my to call it prairie style. I'm talking about the blue-gray house looking thingy next to the Tudor looking thingy, with the brick on the bottom and the out of place porch overhang.
User avatar
RockHarbor
Planning Board
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Silver State

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by RockHarbor »

I agree that the styles being built aren't quite 100% true to original designs/plans from the past. There's no strict rule that says they have to be. Yet, you're kinda left with a "???????" thought when looking at some of them, because they are kind of a mix of old & new, and I'm not sure always done in a tasteful & thoughtful & careful way. With that comment, I'm thinking about the Tudor Style one, mainly & especially. The others I don't mind. It's a bit odd & clunky to me. (I think it is because you think it is just a single house at first glance, but it is actually 2-3 units, I'm guessing. It doesn't really have a true, grand "front face" to make a bold statement from the curb, which is typical for a grand, big Tudor style home or estate w/ the striking rooflines & timbers & brick.) Anyways, regardless, I'm sure it will make a happy home for some people, and looks like a nice place to live.

I don't want to be "The Nitpicker" on the forum, so I want to also say:

I'm glad Omaha has this designated area now. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of "new urbanism" being inserted into a rambling suburban world of cul-de-sacs, winding streets, and traditional suburban homes. Yet, I think every major city needs a special area where this kind of development can sprout and take root and grow. Finally, Omaha has one!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by ita »

Drove past this development again. I think they are accepting applications for lease. Their website is up as well and offers some interior pictures.

https://www.urbanwaters.com/who-we-are/

The buildings under construction several months ago and pretty much down, it seems. They have already started with several other structures; I saw foundations for 4 or more buildings. This is moving along quite nicely.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by ita »

Here's a photo gallery of what they call Bungalows on the Lake:

https://www.urbanwaters.com/whatsinthew ... llery.html
ita
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by ita »

https://www.omaha.com/money/urban-water ... 12d93.html

I don't want to talk about the cheesy building 'social bridges' claim Reimer makes about their new project, but I am impressed that the 39 initial units are all leased up. These are fairly pricey with no real amenities nearby except the lake and a ball park only operates less than half the year. The second phase of another 96 is already under way.

OWH's article on the Lumberyard District a couple weeks ago reported that their residential units, which consists of almost 350 units, is 90% leased. I am somewhat surprised of the absorption rate these new projects are reporting.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by nativeomahan »

There is a housing shortage in Omaha for housing under $250k. And that includes single family, condos and townhomes. Meanwhile high end housing is apparently overbuilt.
If the metro adds 8-9,000 people a year that equates to the need for about 3,000 housing units. Not sure if we are seeing that many being built, particularly under $250k.
Meanwhile, I read a few days ago in the LA Times that the “average” apartment rental cost in the State of California is about $2,300 a month. Median home sale prices are $551,000. Puts some things in perspective.
dave1215
Home Owners Association
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by dave1215 »

Drove through the development the other night and it was amazing to see the number of people there - not workers so I assume neighbors. They appear to be doing a very good job with landscaping and lighting to help it appear to be a more mature neighborhood.

Out of curiosity was online looking for some update information and ran across this video and it captured a good representation
User avatar
Taco
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by Taco »

A pizza place has opened on the corner of 132nd and Lincoln. These buildings continue to look sharp and the first phase is mostly complete.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by ita »

Taco wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:58 pm A pizza place has opened on the corner of 132nd and Lincoln. These buildings continue to look sharp and the first phase is mostly complete.
We went to Prairie Queen lake last Friday to take our kids fishing. I deliberately drove by this development and noticed all the new apartment buildings. I took pictures, but not close up. It's a neat looking development, mimicking the mix of designs of multifamily residences you will find in the Park Ave. neighborhood. During the first phase of construction, I was unsure it would work, but it turned out better than I expected. Also, the pizza place is name Caniglia something.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by ita »

Apartment life? Think again. These bungalows feature open spaces with a neighborhood feel

This is a sponsored feature, but it has a lot of pictures of the apartments that's now called Bungalows at the Lake and even a video. I hope Reimer takes this concept downtown. I know they have done a lot of rehabs, but it would be nice to see new apartments downtown/midtown with this type of setup, rather than just the big blocks we often see.

Image

Image
dave1215
Home Owners Association
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by dave1215 »

This was a great article just recently published in a national planning journal about the project

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/2020/0 ... y-pandemic
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:02 pm
Location: Papillion, Omaha, and Everything in Between

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by WBR_Tom »

Another article on this development from the civil design/engineer of the project, with some nice drone footage and updated photos and discussion about their vision for a development with no big buildings and no parking lots.

http://www.sehinc.com/news/why-missing- ... evelopment

The pizza restaurant in this development seems to be doing pretty well. I drive by it several times a week and it looks busy most times.
dave1215
Home Owners Association
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by dave1215 »

WBR_Tom wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:38 pm
The pizza restaurant in this development seems to be doing pretty well. I drive by it several times a week and it looks busy most times.
The Pizza and Pasta are great. Their crust is mu wife's favorite
dave1215
Home Owners Association
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by dave1215 »

A NIFA call last week it was mentioned that Reimers got the Best in American Living Award for Multifamily below 4 stories for 2020 from the National Association of Home Builders for this project.
dave1215
Home Owners Association
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by dave1215 »

dave1215 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:21 pm .....Best in American Living Award for Multifamily below 4 stories for 2020 from the NAHB for this project.
Thanks to Google, found a reference to it:
https://opticosdesign.com/work/bungalow ... rie-queen/
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036554
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by Brad »

Few aerial's from Friday:
Image
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by Louie »

That streetscape with the brick row houses would fit in nicely in any of the medium density neighborhoods (midtown, dundee, benson, etc). Really sharp looking.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Urban Waters Mixed Use Development (132 & Cornhusker)

Post by iamjacobm »

Haha. Urbanism Twitter found this one.