County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
New downtown music venue on track for 2023 opening; city to pay some infrastructure costs
Construction is planned to start for late summer. About $1.1 million in infrastructure costs that O-pa will incur will be reimbursed by the city. City claims most is already covered by the sale of the parking lot slivers to O-pa last year for over $800,000. The article mentioned a planned expansion east of the Holland for education space. I thought the additional educational space was going to be attached to this project?
Construction is planned to start for late summer. About $1.1 million in infrastructure costs that O-pa will incur will be reimbursed by the city. City claims most is already covered by the sale of the parking lot slivers to O-pa last year for over $800,000. The article mentioned a planned expansion east of the Holland for education space. I thought the additional educational space was going to be attached to this project?
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
Heavy equipment has arrived on site.
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm
Home Owners Association
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
What makes me happier about this project is that another surface parking lot bites the dust.
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:39 am
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Technically?
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Library Board
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm
They are digging holes and filtering out the old brick and other debris. I wonder how close attention they paid.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
Looks like they’re moving right along..
Thanks for the pic update
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:30 pm
Location: Downtown
Historically speaking, what used to be on this block?
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
They’re building on what was a surface parking lot...SiliconFarmer wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:26 pm Historically speaking, what used to be on this block?
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
I think SiliconFarmer was referring to prior to it being a parking lot. I was wondering the same.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
That I’m not sure.. but it would be going back a ways.. Perhaps someone can give some insight as to what the location was prior to surface parking. I’d venture to guess, all the way into the mid 70’s, before multiple buildings were cleared out for the construction of the original Central Park Mall (renamed GLM)..that spot prior to surface parking could have been a business like a movie theater or a bar perhaps..this location- 11th-12th Dodge to Capitol- is further north of the specific mall area. But still, it could have been part of the building clear out back then...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:30 pm
Location: Downtown
I've been checking plat books.. Here is a link to the 1958 book, page 110, block marked 91 (grid system to the right of the aerial picture)..if I'm deciphering the book correctly. Looks to be industrial, docks on the north-west corner, 4 buildings on the east, and taller building on the south. The block to the east marked 92 would be today's Ford lofts. I'd like to know more and then figure out what was there even before that.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
Thanks for providing that link. I’m going to take a dive into it and see what I can come up with...SiliconFarmer wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:58 pm I've been checking plat books.. Here is a link to the 1958 book, page 110, block marked 91 (grid system to the right of the aerial picture)..if I'm deciphering the book correctly. Looks to be industrial, docks on the north-west corner, 4 buildings on the east, and taller building on the south. The block to the east marked 92 would be today's Ford lofts. I'd like to know more and then figure out what was there even before that.
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Human Relations
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:10 pm
That’s why I was wondering about the digging, and them filtering the dirt. I think they are recovering bricks or something. But I’m wondering, Any artifacts?
Where was the Campbell building? I can5 remember exactly, but it was general area.
Where was the Campbell building? I can5 remember exactly, but it was general area.
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:30 pm
Location: Downtown
I think the Campbell building was where the Holland Center is now
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
I believe you are correct...SiliconFarmer wrote: ↑Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:41 am I think the Campbell building was where the Holland Center is now
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
Is there progress on this?
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Moved a lot of dirt in the fall, but haven't been by in a few weeks.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
County Board
Posts: 4331
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs
I was by there yesterday and it doesn't look unchanged compared to last month. Full barricade around it though, looks like lots of work had been going on there prior to snow
Go Cubs Go
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
Thanks guys.
Library Board
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:12 am
Location: Downtown
Seems like a missed opportunity to put a basement in here... The bigger missed opportunity is engaging the street with some retail and restaurant options. Walking around this block is like a dead zone.


Library Board
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Thank you for all the photo updates.
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Another lot gone! It feels like DT is ticking slowly in the right direction again.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Omaha's newest $103 million concert venue gets a name


Dan Crisler
The planned $103 million concert venue for downtown Omaha has a name: Steelhouse Omaha.
The facility, which will hold 1,500 to 3,000 people when it opens in mid-2023, is already under construction. Omaha Performing Arts and city officials announced the name during a groundbreaking ceremony Thursday morning at the former parking lot between Dodge Street and Capitol Avenue.
Steelhouse Omaha will offer a midrange concert venue, larger than the Orpheum Theater and smaller than the CHI Health Center. It is across Dodge Street from the Holland Performing Arts Center.


City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
I really love that 2nd rendering. Something at least a little different than all the boxy squares everywhere else for new development.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
I also liked that rendering, a lot. However, I am critical of the background; really they couldn't accurately depict the adjacent buildings? They put the wrong FNBO tower on that street.skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:10 pm I really love that 2nd rendering. Something at least a little different than all the boxy squares everywhere else for new development.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
I really like the look of this new venue..It appears to be top notch..
I like the name too- “Steelhouse Omaha”. Good vibe
...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
I like the name too- “Steelhouse Omaha”. Good vibe
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Also the blank box at the top of the parking garage. hahaita wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:24 pmI also liked that rendering, a lot. However, I am critical of the background; really they couldn't accurately depict the adjacent buildings? They put the wrong FNBO tower on that street.skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:10 pm I really love that 2nd rendering. Something at least a little different than all the boxy squares everywhere else for new development.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Exactly, there is so much wrong the background. It's like they spent all their money and time on the rendering of the building (which looks fantastic), but they are clearly cut and pasting building exteriors to empty spaces. It's crazy.skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:37 pmAlso the blank box at the top of the parking garage. hahaita wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:24 pmI also liked that rendering, a lot. However, I am critical of the background; really they couldn't accurately depict the adjacent buildings? They put the wrong FNBO tower on that street.skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:10 pm I really love that 2nd rendering. Something at least a little different than all the boxy squares everywhere else for new development.
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
ita wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:49 pmExactly, there is so much wrong the background. It's like they spent all their money and time on the rendering of the building (which looks fantastic), but they are clearly cut and pasting building exteriors to empty spaces. It's crazy.skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:37 pmAlso the blank box at the top of the parking garage. hahaita wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:24 pmI also liked that rendering, a lot. However, I am critical of the background; really they couldn't accurately depict the adjacent buildings? They put the wrong FNBO tower on that street.skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu May 20, 2021 1:10 pm I really love that 2nd rendering. Something at least a little different than all the boxy squares everywhere else for new development.
They actually chopped a couple floors off the parking garage, probably to make their building stand out more. That "Blank Box" is actually the correct height of the stair tower.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Library Board
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area
I love the location - directly north of 11th Street promenade in Leahy Mall where food trucks, etc. are, and bandshell in park - directly south of Capitol District. 11th Street is the new happenin street in Omaha - our version of NY's 42nd St
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
When I mentioned “Vibe” in my last post, this is also exactly what I was referring to..stadsborgare wrote: ↑Fri May 21, 2021 9:59 am I love the location - directly north of 11th Street promenade in Leahy Mall where food trucks, etc. are, and bandshell in park - directly south of Capitol District. 11th Street is the new happenin street in Omaha - our version of NY's 42nd St
Good call stating that the 11th St promenade is the Omaha version of NYC’s 42nd St
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1187
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm
Great name for this place and stellar design. I personally don't believe this will take away from any venues in Omaha. Perfect for bands that have graduated from Sokol, Slowdown, Waiting Room size but may not otherwise sell the arenas. What an asset this will be for live music.
Library Board
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
Moving along swiftly with this one..
Thanks for the pic update
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!






