2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036568
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Fall is definitely in the air today!
I have been all over eastern Nebraska the past 4 days and there are quite a few yellow trees. I'm sure its more stress from the very dry and hot summer. Also noticed some red sumac on my way in to work this morning.
I'm guessing after these next 3 cool days, we will start to see a little more color pop.
Fall is definitely in the air today!
I have been all over eastern Nebraska the past 4 days and there are quite a few yellow trees. I'm sure its more stress from the very dry and hot summer. Also noticed some red sumac on my way in to work this morning.
I'm guessing after these next 3 cool days, we will start to see a little more color pop.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
For any goldenrod lovers, I recommend Desoto WIldlife Refuge. A lot of fields blowing up right now. It's also free entry at the moment.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11632
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
I haven't noticed many trees turning yet, although there are a few here and there, but I think you are right...everything will probably start pretty soon.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Two maples have begun showing orange at Lauritzen Gardens. Things don’t typically get going until mid October. The severe drought we have been experiencing probably won’t help the color palette this year.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036568
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Since I have been keeping track in 2006,
On Average:
First Colors = Sept 26
Peak Colors = October 26
Last Colors = Nov 12
That said, there is usually and early peak with lots of yellows and then a later peak with more oranges and reds.
I have been all over town the past few days and there are some decent pockets of color showing up here and there.
On Average:
First Colors = Sept 26
Peak Colors = October 26
Last Colors = Nov 12
That said, there is usually and early peak with lots of yellows and then a later peak with more oranges and reds.
I have been all over town the past few days and there are some decent pockets of color showing up here and there.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7329
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
For what it's worth, I just came back from Colorado, and on the way home, around GI or York, I saw a lone maple that was already blazing red. Super early anomalies must happen from time to time.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036568
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Thanks to ShawJ for the tip about DeSoto Bend, its been a couple years since I have been there. Photographed my first Fall Colors of 2020 yesterday in Desoto Bend:

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036568
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
The fall colors are really looking good right now! There’s still a ton of green but the ash trees are really glowing that gold color. Some nice colorful maples too. I guess the one tree that isn’t as bright as normal so far is the locust. I’m not sure if it’s behind or it’s the dry weather but the locus just has a dull yellow to it.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
How are the Loess Hills?
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036568
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
I didn't make it last weekend, but it was still mostly green the weekend before.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
ShawJ
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1573
- Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Nice ones, Brad!Brad wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 pm Thanks to ShawJ for the tip about DeSoto Bend, its been a couple years since I have been there. Photographed my first Fall Colors of 2020 yesterday in Desoto Bend:
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4937
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
The colors are really coming in this morning, I've noticed. This weekend should be interesting. Summer temps, but almost near peak fall colors.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Agreed..Louie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 am The colors are really coming in this morning, I've noticed. This weekend should be interesting. Summer temps, but almost near peak fall colors.
I really started to notice a day or 2 ago. Sat/Sun should provide some good photo opportunities...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:13 amAgreed..Louie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 am The colors are really coming in this morning, I've noticed. This weekend should be interesting. Summer temps, but almost near peak fall colors.
I really started to notice a day or 2 ago. Sat/Sun should provide some good photo opportunities...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
It will be fun to see what people post. Gotta be getting close to peak.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036568
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
I think the really cool (but not freezing) night time temps a couple weeks ago really helped the color this year. It kicked everything in to gear and the colors are really looking good!

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11632
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
I agree, the key was the cool weather but not having that "hard" freeze that we seem to get early a lot of years.Brad wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:50 pm I think the really cool (but not freezing) night time temps a couple weeks ago really helped the color this year. It kicked everything in to gear and the colors are really looking good!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036568
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Fall Colors from Saturday:
My Favorite:

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036568
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Thanks.
If we don't get too cold, it looks like we could have another, second peak, of fall color. However at the current time, the forecast doesn't look to be on our side.
If we don't get too cold, it looks like we could have another, second peak, of fall color. However at the current time, the forecast doesn't look to be on our side.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4937
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
Which trees will be turning in the second peak?Brad wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 am Thanks.
If we don't get too cold, it looks like we could have another, second peak, of fall color. However at the current time, the forecast doesn't look to be on our side.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036568
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors
In town, I haven't looked that close. I was driving down the west dodge expressway and noticed a lot of yellow starting.
That said, I took highway 6 to Lincoln yesterday and there was a lot of yellow cottonwoods along the waterways.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto