2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Share your photographs and videos taken from around the metro
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036567
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Brad »

2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Fall is definitely in the air today!

I have been all over eastern Nebraska the past 4 days and there are quite a few yellow trees. I'm sure its more stress from the very dry and hot summer. Also noticed some red sumac on my way in to work this morning.

I'm guessing after these next 3 cool days, we will start to see a little more color pop.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by ShawJ »

For any goldenrod lovers, I recommend Desoto WIldlife Refuge. A lot of fields blowing up right now. It's also free entry at the moment.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by skinzfan23 »

I haven't noticed many trees turning yet, although there are a few here and there, but I think you are right...everything will probably start pretty soon.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by nativeomahan »

Two maples have begun showing orange at Lauritzen Gardens. Things don’t typically get going until mid October. The severe drought we have been experiencing probably won’t help the color palette this year.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036567
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Brad »

Since I have been keeping track in 2006,

On Average:
First Colors = Sept 26
Peak Colors = October 26
Last Colors = Nov 12

That said, there is usually and early peak with lots of yellows and then a later peak with more oranges and reds.

I have been all over town the past few days and there are some decent pockets of color showing up here and there.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7329
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Busguy2010 »

For what it's worth, I just came back from Colorado, and on the way home, around GI or York, I saw a lone maple that was already blazing red. Super early anomalies must happen from time to time.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036567
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Brad »

Thanks to ShawJ for the tip about DeSoto Bend, its been a couple years since I have been there. Photographed my first Fall Colors of 2020 yesterday in Desoto Bend:
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Beautiful pics as always Brad :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036567
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Brad »

The fall colors are really looking good right now! There’s still a ton of green but the ash trees are really glowing that gold color. Some nice colorful maples too. I guess the one tree that isn’t as bright as normal so far is the locust. I’m not sure if it’s behind or it’s the dry weather but the locus just has a dull yellow to it.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Coyote »

How are the Loess Hills?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036567
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 pm How are the Loess Hills?
I didn't make it last weekend, but it was still mostly green the weekend before.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1573
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 pm Thanks to ShawJ for the tip about DeSoto Bend, its been a couple years since I have been there. Photographed my first Fall Colors of 2020 yesterday in Desoto Bend:
Nice ones, Brad!
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4937
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Louie »

The colors are really coming in this morning, I've noticed. This weekend should be interesting. Summer temps, but almost near peak fall colors.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Louie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 am The colors are really coming in this morning, I've noticed. This weekend should be interesting. Summer temps, but almost near peak fall colors.
Agreed..

I really started to notice a day or 2 ago. Sat/Sun should provide some good photo opportunities...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by GetUrban »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:13 am
Louie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 am The colors are really coming in this morning, I've noticed. This weekend should be interesting. Summer temps, but almost near peak fall colors.
Agreed..

I really started to notice a day or 2 ago. Sat/Sun should provide some good photo opportunities...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

It will be fun to see what people post. Gotta be getting close to peak.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036567
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Brad »

I think the really cool (but not freezing) night time temps a couple weeks ago really helped the color this year. It kicked everything in to gear and the colors are really looking good!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:50 pm I think the really cool (but not freezing) night time temps a couple weeks ago really helped the color this year. It kicked everything in to gear and the colors are really looking good!
I agree, the key was the cool weather but not having that "hard" freeze that we seem to get early a lot of years.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036567
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Brad »

Fall Colors from Saturday: My Favorite:
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:04 pm Fall Colors from Saturday: My Favorite:
Excellent as always Brad :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036567
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Brad »

Thanks.

If we don't get too cold, it looks like we could have another, second peak, of fall color. However at the current time, the forecast doesn't look to be on our side.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4937
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 am Thanks.

If we don't get too cold, it looks like we could have another, second peak, of fall color. However at the current time, the forecast doesn't look to be on our side.
Which trees will be turning in the second peak?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036567
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2020 Omaha Area Fall Colors

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:11 am
Brad wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 am Thanks.

If we don't get too cold, it looks like we could have another, second peak, of fall color. However at the current time, the forecast doesn't look to be on our side.
Which trees will be turning in the second peak?
In town, I haven't looked that close. I was driving down the west dodge expressway and noticed a lot of yellow starting.

That said, I took highway 6 to Lincoln yesterday and there was a lot of yellow cottonwoods along the waterways.