Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.
MTO
City Council
Posts: 7783
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by MTO »

So why’d they bulldoze the village inn and roach motel?
15-17, 26, 32
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MTO wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:44 am So why’d they bulldoze the village inn and roach motel?
And out of nowhere- Jake reappears on the forum after 8 months of hibernation..

:lol: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:44 am So why’d they bulldoze the village inn and roach motel?
No building permits and nothing on the planning board.

OVO DEV LLC
8451 WEST CENTER RD #24984
OMAHA NE 68124-0000

Address comes back to the post office on 84th and Center.
User avatar
Cup of Cheese
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun May 03, 2020 10:14 pm

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Cup of Cheese »

What happened to Sushi Ichiban?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

Cup of Cheese wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:41 pm What happened to Sushi Ichiban?
It's now called "Sakura Bana" and its at 74th and Dodge. Kind of tucked back in a corner next to Freddy's.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:32 am
Location: Lincoln, NE

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by CapitalGuy »

Heard apartments here but no specific details.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Louie »

CapitalGuy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:58 pm Heard apartments here but no specific details.
Probably similar to the long term ones that are to the west of them.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

all buildings are now gone.
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Westside

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Ben »

It would make sense if OFD would hurry up and decide what their plans are for the future of the firehouse next door to this site. Several times OFD has mentioned its part of their long term plan to rebuild/relocate this house, as its not up to the standards of other firehouses (ease of access, size, etc). If they're going to move out, it would make sense if this was redeveloped as part of the adjacent VI/Hotel project. Maybe they can snag a parcel with direct Dodge St or 72nd St access as part of the Crossroads site plan...
garyomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:53 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by garyomaha »

Ben wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:44 am Maybe they can snag a parcel with direct Dodge St or 72nd St access as part of the Crossroads site plan...
I could swear that in 2019 or so the City announced that a new Fire Station would be built near 72nd and Cass. The reason I remember is that I spent way too much time trying to figure out just where they were describing. Then, I saw no word whatsoever for a long time and now it might be affected by the financial impact of the pandemic.
User avatar
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

garyomaha wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:18 pm
Ben wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:44 am Maybe they can snag a parcel with direct Dodge St or 72nd St access as part of the Crossroads site plan...
I could swear that in 2019 or so the City announced that a new Fire Station would be built near 72nd and Cass. The reason I remember is that I spent way too much time trying to figure out just where they were describing. Then, I saw no word whatsoever for a long time and now it might be affected by the financial impact of the pandemic.
How about the land behind the now demolished Best Buy/Bag'n Save, just east of the Kwik Shop?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

TheSeventhBrat wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:55 pm
garyomaha wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:18 pm
Ben wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:44 am Maybe they can snag a parcel with direct Dodge St or 72nd St access as part of the Crossroads site plan...
I could swear that in 2019 or so the City announced that a new Fire Station would be built near 72nd and Cass. The reason I remember is that I spent way too much time trying to figure out just where they were describing. Then, I saw no word whatsoever for a long time and now it might be affected by the financial impact of the pandemic.
How about the land behind the now demolished Best Buy/Bag'n Save, just east of the Kwik Shop?
The plan I saw way back in the day, they were going to talk a little land from Lewis and Clark school at 72 and Cass.
bldgengineer2015
Home Owners Association
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 am

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by bldgengineer2015 »

Here are the planning documents on the proposed apartment development.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ary/16.pdf
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by ita »

Here's the perspective from Dodge:

Image

This is a good sized development and has a pretty even mix of studio, 1-, and 2-bedroom units. It's nice to see another residential project along the Dodge St. corridor.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:53 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by garyomaha »

Big apartment complexes appear to be following me wherever I go! I previously lived a block from where the Zag Apartments were built at 51st and Mayberry. Now I'm a few blocks away from where these apartments are to be built. Is it something about me? :help:
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by ricko »

garyomaha wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:15 pm Big apartment complexes appear to be following me wherever I go! I previously lived a block from where the Zag Apartments were built at 51st and Mayberry. Now I'm a few blocks away from where these apartments are to be built. Is it something about me? :help:
Developer stalking. I'd get a restraining order. :D
Padre
Human Relations
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Padre »

garyomaha wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:15 pm Big apartment complexes appear to be following me wherever I go! I previously lived a block from where the Zag Apartments were built at 51st and Mayberry. Now I'm a few blocks away from where these apartments are to be built. Is it something about me? :help:
It’s just that large groups of people want to be around you!
User avatar
Taco
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Taco »

Nice to see the TOD benefits in the density of this project. I am guessing they would have tried to get the fire station land too - I wonder if the city wouldn't sell or is just moving too slowly in building the new station.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Busguy2010 »

Taco wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:07 pm Nice to see the TOD benefits in the density of this project.
I was gonna say something about how this development seems to be influenced by ORBT being in place. Still a bit of a walk to the 77th Station, and the 84th Station is also in the area. Makes ya wonder at least if this is a direct reaction to ORBT, or if it would have happened without ORBT.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Busguy2010 »

Wow, and I just now looked at the document... This is a very substantial development. I will reserve judgement until we hear about prices.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4693
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Garrett »

garyomaha wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:15 pm Big apartment complexes appear to be following me wherever I go! I previously lived a block from where the Zag Apartments were built at 51st and Mayberry. Now I'm a few blocks away from where these apartments are to be built. Is it something about me? :help:
Maybe we should move you around the city as a development tool, and add "Gary Oriented Development" to the zoning code.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
garyomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:53 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by garyomaha »

Garrett wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:00 pm Maybe we should move you around the city as a development tool, and add "Gary Oriented Development" to the zoning code.
I like the concept but in no way do I feel like I'm living up to the acronym.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Louie »

garyomaha wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:57 pm
Garrett wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:00 pm Maybe we should move you around the city as a development tool, and add "Gary Oriented Development" to the zoning code.
I like the concept but in no way do I feel like I'm living up to the acronym.
Hahaha. “Please move to the Lanoha site, GOD”.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Athomsfere »

Louie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:38 pm
garyomaha wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:57 pm
Garrett wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:00 pm Maybe we should move you around the city as a development tool, and add "Gary Oriented Development" to the zoning code.
I like the concept but in no way do I feel like I'm living up to the acronym.
Hahaha. “Please move to the Lanoha site, GOD”.
But then we'll just get a 5-6 story apartment complex. And everyone here will complain yet more.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Athomsfere wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:09 am
Louie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:38 pm
garyomaha wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:57 pm
Garrett wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:00 pm Maybe we should move you around the city as a development tool, and add "Gary Oriented Development" to the zoning code.
I like the concept but in no way do I feel like I'm living up to the acronym.
Hahaha. “Please move to the Lanoha site, GOD”.
But then we'll just get a 5-6 story apartment complex. And everyone here will complain yet more.
Would GOD allow that to happen?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Cermak »

That hotel was in business for a long time, my guess it was probably built in the 60’s. I’m sure the land was pricey being on Dodge. More apartments for Omaha, seems like that’s the hot development trend nowadays. I still think you’re better off owning something than paying rent. Someday all these new 4-6 story apartments they are building in Omaha will be old as well.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Coyote »

Apartments to replace former Village Inn and motel along Dodge corridor

image.jpeg
Cindy Gonzalez of Omaha World Herald wrote:A $34 million apartment complex that takes its name from a warm spice is set to sprout on the old Village Inn grounds at 78th and Dodge Streets.

The five-story Clove Apartments is to contain 175 dwellings arranged in a U shape atop a ground-level parking garage.

Residents will be able to grill, picnic and play croquet in an expansive open-air courtyard above the garage. An outdoor staircase will wind down to an outdoor swimming pool abutting Farnam Drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Former Village Inn and Hotel (78th and Dodge)

Post by Athomsfere »

bldgengineer2015 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17 am Here are the tif documents for the project.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... rch/10.pdf
Soon, the wall of 4 story buildings from MTC to Elkhorn will be complete! (laughs maniacally in four-storied tones)
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

Construction Equipment working on site.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

The "Design Standards talk" that was taking place in this thread, was split off in to its own thread, which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22270
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by ita »

I know this is a design issue, but with this specific building I am concerned about the ground floor facing Dodge. I was across the street yesterday and noticed that it's a blank wall. No windows, or anything. I should have taken a picture. I am sure they will put some facing or something, but it doesn't look very pedestrian friendly off Dodge. I know Dodge is a highway, but we have ORBT running through there, and we are trying to make it more pedestrian friendly (right, folks from Heritage wanting to put the library at 72nd and Dodge). Maybe I am jumping the gun and shouldn't be so concerned. With most of the ground floor up, I didn't expect the footprint to be so big in person.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by Athomsfere »

ita wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:53 pm I know this is a design issue, but with this specific building I am concerned about the ground floor facing Dodge. I was across the street yesterday and noticed that it's a blank wall. No windows, or anything. I should have taken a picture. I am sure they will put some facing or something, but it doesn't look very pedestrian friendly off Dodge. I know Dodge is a highway, but we have ORBT running through there, and we are trying to make it more pedestrian friendly (right, folks from Heritage wanting to put the library at 72nd and Dodge). Maybe I am jumping the gun and shouldn't be so concerned. With most of the ground floor up, I didn't expect the footprint to be so big in person.
Almost a plain pedestal look?

I know I've seen similar in Seattle in some walkable areas. As long as we can get some trees, maybe a road diet, bike lanes etc. then I feel like it's not a huge issue.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by Cermak »

MTO wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:44 am So why’d they bulldoze the village inn and roach motel?
I stayed at this motel my very first night in Omaha back in 1985 when I moved here. Back then it was a typical budget motel. I knew almost nothing about Omaha and thought the surrounding neighborhood looked decent so I decided to check in. The room was fine and I had no complaints. I remember the New Tower Inn was across the street, and I wondered where the tower was Lol.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

Athomsfere wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:18 pm
ita wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:53 pm I know this is a design issue, but with this specific building I am concerned about the ground floor facing Dodge. I was across the street yesterday and noticed that it's a blank wall. No windows, or anything. I should have taken a picture. I am sure they will put some facing or something, but it doesn't look very pedestrian friendly off Dodge. I know Dodge is a highway, but we have ORBT running through there, and we are trying to make it more pedestrian friendly (right, folks from Heritage wanting to put the library at 72nd and Dodge). Maybe I am jumping the gun and shouldn't be so concerned. With most of the ground floor up, I didn't expect the footprint to be so big in person.
Almost a plain pedestal look?

I know I've seen similar in Seattle in some walkable areas. As long as we can get some trees, maybe a road diet, bike lanes etc. then I feel like it's not a huge issue.
Yes, the first floor is parking. The main entrance is facing south on Farnam Street. That said there are 2 doors on the north side facing Dodge and a sidewalk along the east side from the south side of the building to the north side.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

Wood arriving on site.
TransitOriented
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 am

Re: Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by TransitOriented »

Apartments website : https://www.clove-omaha.com/
Prices range from $1200 to $2600
FishFighter92
Home Owners Association
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:57 am

Re: Clove Apartments (78th and Dodge)

Post by FishFighter92 »

These are really looking nice. The amenities look great too.