Heartland of America Park
-
Doctor Fate
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1276
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm
- Location: DC Metro
Re: Heartland of America Park
Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
-
Cermak
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2333
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Re: Heartland of America Park
I’m at the point that even a sharp looking 12 or 14 story building would be much welcomed. Seems so incredibly hard for Omaha to add any new height DT. Sometimes you just need to roll the dice.Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
-
mcarch
- Library Board
- Posts: 418
- Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:44 pm
- Location: Elkhorn
Re: Heartland of America Park
That is sad! It used to be one of the tallest fountains in the world at one point.
mcarch
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Heartland of America Park
I can’t help but think there is and will be.. Once this project is completed in a few years, this entire area will be a hot point of destination and I’d think a number of developers realize this.. and would want to get in while the gettin’ is good...Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Linkin5
- County Board
- Posts: 4886
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am
Re: Heartland of America Park
I just listened to that episode, I think they were just referring to the initial renderings and what will hopefully be there someday. But I do agree I definitely think there will be residential and at least one high rise residential that is built because of this.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:04 pmI can’t help but think there is and will be.. Once this project is completed in a few years, this entire area will be a hot point of destination and I’d think a number of developers realize this.. and would want to get in while the gettin’ is good...Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
Ciao..LiO...Peace
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Heartland of America Park
Yeah, that’s how I understood it too..Linkin5 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:12 amI just listened to that episode, I think they were just referring to the initial renderings and what will hopefully be there someday. But I do agree I definitely think there will be residential and at least one high rise residential that is built because of this.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:04 pmI can’t help but think there is and will be.. Once this project is completed in a few years, this entire area will be a hot point of destination and I’d think a number of developers realize this.. and would want to get in while the gettin’ is good...Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think we’re all hopeful as the Riverfront plan continues through their phases of completion, we’ll hear of perhaps several residential/mixed use high rise proposals over the course of the next several years..
Fingers crossed anyway
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Heartland of America Park
Few Aerials from Yesterday:

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Linkin5
- County Board
- Posts: 4886
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am
Re: Heartland of America Park
Great pictures Brad. It’s still shocking to see how different everything is.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Heartland of America Park
Those pics look great Brad
Can’t wait for the completion in 2024.. $300 million buys an impressive transformation...
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
ItsAllAboutMe
- Human Relations
- Posts: 962
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:14 pm
Re: Heartland of America Park
FYI - https://www.ojb.com/project/gene-leahy- ... riverfront
Earlier plans with interesting renderings for the Council bluffs side.
https://www.ojb.com/project/gene-leahy- ... riverfront
Earlier plans with interesting renderings for the Council bluffs side.
https://www.ojb.com/project/gene-leahy- ... riverfront
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Heartland of America Park
This link from the OBJ project web site shows a glimpse of possible future mixed use, office and residential mid to high rise structures at the front door of the GLM phase of the riverfront revitalization plan. Tap to rendering #4 to view it-ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:03 pm FYI - https://www.ojb.com/project/gene-leahy- ... riverfront
Earlier plans with interesting renderings for the Council bluffs side.
https://www.ojb.com/project/gene-leahy- ... riverfront
https://www.ojb.com/project/missouri-ri ... talization
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: Heartland of America Park
From Brad’s views, the park is going to be HUGE ! Of course, hopefully some of it will be filled-in with buildings.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4747
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Heartland of America Park
That's what I am hoping to. I love the aerial of Heartland where you can see where the Conagra/Hines lots are going to be located. You can also tell that Phase 1a, the apartment/retail/parking garage building, is going to be massive.GetUrban wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:09 am From Brad’s views, the park is going to be HUGE ! Of course, hopefully some of it will be filled-in with buildings.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Heartland of America Park
Aerial from last night. You can see the new shore on the north (Right) side of the lake starting construction.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
NEDodger
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1356
- Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 am
Re: Heartland of America Park
Cool shot, Brad. I’m out of town and looking at this from my smartphone - is the white “L” shape west of the lake the rebuilt street grid or just some other construction stuff?
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Heartland of America Park
Thanks. I have more to come.NEDodger wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:21 am Cool shot, Brad. I’m out of town and looking at this from my smartphone - is the white “L” shape west of the lake the rebuilt street grid or just some other construction stuff?
Yes, its the new streets going back in. Will be nice to have that connectivity back.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Heartland of America Park
Aerial Photo Update:
1.

2.

1.
2.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Heartland of America Park
Wow..
Fantastic aerial work Brad.. So much going on in the downtown core
…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Fantastic aerial work Brad.. So much going on in the downtown core
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4747
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Heartland of America Park
From the most recent newsletter about the pier:
Throughout the planning and construction process, The RiverFront project's primary goal has been to reconnect the city and its people with the neighboring Missouri River. Thanks to the iconic Farnam Pier in Heartland of America Park, visitors will have a better waterfront view than ever before.
Standing at roughly 235-feet-long, this picturesque destination will extend from the Farnam Promenade, out and over the railroad tracks, and above the Missouri River's edge.
The pier entrance consists of an accessible ramp, stairs, and some scenic seating. As guests stroll down and onto the pier, decorative ribs will extend up to approximately 27-feet high, with color changing lights that will compliment the nearby Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. Closer to the edge, the ribs open to reveal a breathtaking panoramic of the Missouri River, with a transparent enclosure at the very end, giving guests an extended line-of-sight at the water below.
The Farnam Pier will begin to noticeably take shape throughout the next year. The RiverFront's construction team will immediately focus on installing key infrastructure, and when the river is low, pile will be driven into the ground to support the pier's massive frame. Once those steps are complete, installing the physical pier will require the largest crane to ever be used in downtown Omaha.
As the Farnam Pier forms above the Missouri River, it will serve as an important reminder of The RiverFront project's goals. This iconic amenity will showcase Omaha's connection to the Missouri River, while providing an all-encompassing view of the city's naturally surrounding landscape.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Heartland of America Park
ita wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:52 pm From the most recent newsletter about the pier:
Once those steps are complete, installing the physical pier will require the largest crane to ever be used in downtown Omaha.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Heartland of America Park
When I read that in the newsletter, I had the same reaction, lol…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4698
- Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Heartland of America Park
Booking helicopter dates now?
I'm very excited for this though. Parks that can incorporate well with natural environments are my favorites.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4939
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: Heartland of America Park
Do they have renderings out for it?
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4747
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Heartland of America Park
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11634
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Heartland of America Park
What was the previous largest crane? Was that the First National building or was that just the tallest?
-
Vitruvius
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 229
- Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:11 am
Re: Heartland of America Park
Will the public be allowed to walk completely around the lake now? Or will the iron fence going down into it still be in place?
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Heartland of America Park
The iron fence has been open for over a decade.Vitruvius wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:16 pm Will the public be allowed to walk completely around the lake now? Or will the iron fence going down into it still be in place?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Vitruvius
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 229
- Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:11 am
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4747
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Heartland of America Park
This isn't anything too exciting, but it looks like the City is clearing some existing issues regarding alleys and old street rights through the lot north of HOA that has been long identified for a possible residential mid/high rise. Also, the city is extending Douglas to connect with Riverfront Drive.
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ary/14.pdf
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ary/14.pdf
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Heartland of America Park
From today’s W-H-
“Just north of the bustling redevelopment of Gene Leahy Mall in downtown Omaha, construction has begun on what could become one of the area’s most popular year-round attractions.
A skate ribbon is taking shape as part of the $400 million public-private overhaul of Omaha’s three downtown riverfront parks.
The skate ribbon will be about the length of a football field, said Katie Bassett, vice president of parks for the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority.
It will resemble Chicago’s Maggie Daley Park Ice Skating Ribbon, a design planners of Omaha’s skate ribbon drew inspiration from, Bassett said.
The amenity is expected to open with the Heartland of America Park in summer 2023 and will offer ice skating in the winter and roller blading in the summer.“..
The complete W-H story link:
https://omaha.com/news/local/heartland- ... -top-story
Ciao..LiO…Peace
“Just north of the bustling redevelopment of Gene Leahy Mall in downtown Omaha, construction has begun on what could become one of the area’s most popular year-round attractions.
A skate ribbon is taking shape as part of the $400 million public-private overhaul of Omaha’s three downtown riverfront parks.
The skate ribbon will be about the length of a football field, said Katie Bassett, vice president of parks for the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority.
It will resemble Chicago’s Maggie Daley Park Ice Skating Ribbon, a design planners of Omaha’s skate ribbon drew inspiration from, Bassett said.
The amenity is expected to open with the Heartland of America Park in summer 2023 and will offer ice skating in the winter and roller blading in the summer.“..
The complete W-H story link:
https://omaha.com/news/local/heartland- ... -top-story
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm
- Location: Bennington
Re: Heartland of America Park
I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
Linkin5
- County Board
- Posts: 4886
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 am
Re: Heartland of America Park
Yeah it was one of the best parts of the project.Stargazer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:05 am I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4747
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Heartland of America Park
While I miss the skatepark and basketball courts, this was the biggest loss in terms of what's changed from the original concept of the three parks. It would have been neat. Hopefully the pier turns out as cool as they are describing it.
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2804
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
- Location: 68102
Re: Heartland of America Park
Breathtaking!?ita wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:52 pm From the most recent newsletter about the pier:
Throughout the planning and construction process, The RiverFront project's primary goal has been to reconnect the city and its people with the neighboring Missouri River. Thanks to the iconic Farnam Pier in Heartland of America Park, visitors will have a better waterfront view than ever before.
Standing at roughly 235-feet-long, this picturesque destination will extend from the Farnam Promenade, out and over the railroad tracks, and above the Missouri River's edge.
The pier entrance consists of an accessible ramp, stairs, and some scenic seating. As guests stroll down and onto the pier, decorative ribs will extend up to approximately 27-feet high, with color changing lights that will compliment the nearby Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. Closer to the edge, the ribs open to reveal a breathtaking panoramic of the Missouri River, with a transparent enclosure at the very end, giving guests an extended line-of-sight at the water below.
The Farnam Pier will begin to noticeably take shape throughout the next year. The RiverFront's construction team will immediately focus on installing key infrastructure, and when the river is low, pile will be driven into the ground to support the pier's massive frame. Once those steps are complete, installing the physical pier will require the largest crane to ever be used in downtown Omaha.
As the Farnam Pier forms above the Missouri River, it will serve as an important reminder of The RiverFront project's goals. This iconic amenity will showcase Omaha's connection to the Missouri River, while providing an all-encompassing view of the city's naturally surrounding landscape.
Tasteful lighting? Yes!
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2804
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
- Location: 68102
Re: Heartland of America Park
Ok what exactly got cut? They're still doing the sexy pier? Old rendering?Stargazer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:05 am I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Heartland of America Park
They were going to put the railroad tracks in a tunnel and have a green lawn over the top of it. The pier just started construction, not sure how "sexy" it is?nebport5 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:16 amOk what exactly got cut? They're still doing the sexy pier? Old rendering?Stargazer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:05 am I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4747
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: Heartland of America Park
Here's an old presentation of HAP. Also, something that got cut...water taxis? What!? I totally forgot about it.Brad wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:31 amThey were going to put the railroad tracks in a tunnel and have a green lawn over the top of it. The pier just started construction, not sure how "sexy" it is?nebport5 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:16 amOk what exactly got cut? They're still doing the sexy pier? Old rendering?Stargazer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:05 am I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnew ... 21.pdf.pdf
-
OmahaOmaha
- Library Board
- Posts: 296
- Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:30 pm
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Heartland of America Park
I’m glad they didn’t put the railroad tracks in a tunnel. Some us like watching trains. I think we have enough lawns in Downtown Omaha anyway.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036569
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Heartland of America Park
I don't think the intent was to ever hide the trains. They wanted a better flow between the parks and the riverfront.OmahaOmaha wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:24 pm I’m glad they didn’t put the railroad tracks in a tunnel. Some us like watching trains. I think we have enough lawns in Downtown Omaha anyway.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2804
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
- Location: 68102
Re: Heartland of America Park
I forgot to put "sexy" in quotes.Brad wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:31 amThey were going to put the railroad tracks in a tunnel and have a green lawn over the top of it. The pier just started construction, not sure how "sexy" it is?nebport5 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:16 amOk what exactly got cut? They're still doing the sexy pier? Old rendering?Stargazer wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:05 am I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
