County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
By the new year, this strip will be a busy one on weekend nights.
City Council
Posts: 10813
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
Home Owners Association
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 am
Location: Omaha
In less exciting news, Neon Tiger, which was going to open in the old Donut Stop location (1256 s 13th) has gotten a refund on their building permit and it's listed as, "job cancelled." 
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
I know Dundee Bank prides themselves in community investment. When do you think we start seeing multifamily housing development on 13th, similar to what we have seen in Blackstone? The real estate is there, though as was mentioned previously, 13th street needs to be more pedestrian friendly before it can be another Benson or Blackstone.iamjacobm wrote: ↑Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 pm Dundee Bank moving into the neighborhood.
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ber/13.pdf
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
That is quite disappointing. They seemed to be excited owners and I thought they were making a lot progress.Lillian Bean wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:58 pm In less exciting news, Neon Tiger, which was going to open in the old Donut Stop location (1256 s 13th) has gotten a refund on their building permit and it's listed as, "job cancelled."![]()
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
I heard that the renovation costs were going to be astronomical in that location. Every bid was coming in more than double what they'd budgeted for the build out. I heard this from those involved on the Vis Major end themselves. It's unfortunate, but it happens.ita wrote: ↑Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:59 pmThat is quite disappointing. They seemed to be excited owners and I thought they were making a lot progress.Lillian Bean wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:58 pm In less exciting news, Neon Tiger, which was going to open in the old Donut Stop location (1256 s 13th) has gotten a refund on their building permit and it's listed as, "job cancelled."![]()
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
That’s a bummer, but I’m sure that something will pop up there as the area gets busier.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
https://history.nebraska.gov/blog/four- ... JqUUCmtZF0
With the new designation, projects rehabilitating existing buildings in this district are eligible for historic tax credits. I would not be surprised to see another round of projects for this area in the next couple years.In the early twentieth century, nearly all Czechs living in Omaha lived in the Little Bohemia neighborhood, or as it was alternately called Praha or Bohemia Town. Most of the buildings in this area are still around today despite being built between 1885 and 1900.
...
The 40 contributing buildings in this district are now all potentially eligible for historic tax credits that can be applied to rehabilitation projects. The boundaries of the area are roughly South 13th Street from Hickory Street to one block north of William Street.
Library Board
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 pm
Yes, PJ Morgan real estate, I imagine already envisioned this to happen and has bought up the whole block alreadyita wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:06 pm https://history.nebraska.gov/blog/four- ... JqUUCmtZF0
With the new designation, projects rehabilitating existing buildings in this district are eligible for historic tax credits. I would not be surprised to see another round of projects for this area in the next couple years.In the early twentieth century, nearly all Czechs living in Omaha lived in the Little Bohemia neighborhood, or as it was alternately called Praha or Bohemia Town. Most of the buildings in this area are still around today despite being built between 1885 and 1900.
...
The 40 contributing buildings in this district are now all potentially eligible for historic tax credits that can be applied to rehabilitation projects. The boundaries of the area are roughly South 13th Street from Hickory Street to one block north of William Street.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
I noticed on this month's planning board meeting that there is a request for approval of Bohemian Apartments at 12th and William. Can anyone pull the TIF request docs? This would the first major apartment project in Little Bohemia. See item 14.
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... 0.docx.pdf
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... 0.docx.pdf
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am
Couldn't pull TIF docs, but did a little snooping on DOGIS. The applicant has the same registered address as Clarity Development and owns a lot sized equivalent to Hempel Sheet Metal Works next door.ita wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:55 am I noticed on this month's planning board meeting that there is a request for approval of Bohemian Apartments at 12th and William. Can anyone pull the TIF request docs? This would the first major apartment project in Little Bohemia. See item 14.
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... 0.docx.pdf
Home Owners Association
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 am
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Thanks for posting the TIF request. That's a lot of units for this area. I am surprised that they are not including any studio units as many other apartment buildings have. I like that they the development is split into two buildings, with the building that pays homage to existing housing stock in the area on the 12th street frontage. I knew it was a matter of time before the apartment buildings start rolling into Little Bohemia, but I appreciate that they are at least trying to be blend in with the area.bldgengineer2015 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:14 am https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ber/14.pdf
Home Owners Association
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 am
No problem! For future reference exhibits that are submitted to the planning board can be found on the planning board web application. Here's a link to it.
https://omaha.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shor ... 8a29dd896d
https://omaha.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shor ... 8a29dd896d
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
Excellent intel..bldgengineer2015 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:45 am No problem! For future reference exhibits that are submitted to the planning board can be found on the planning board web application. Here's a link to it.
https://omaha.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shor ... 8a29dd896d
Thank you for posting the link
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Awesome! Thanks for the link. I will bookmark that for future reference.bldgengineer2015 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:45 am No problem! For future reference exhibits that are submitted to the planning board can be found on the planning board web application. Here's a link to it.
https://omaha.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shor ... 8a29dd896d
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
From the W-H-
The Little Bohemia area south of downtown Omaha is poised to get a $17.8 million apartment complex — a big infusion of new rental housing just steps from its growing commercial strip.
The 107-unit complex featuring a courtyard and a parking garage is to rise on the northwest corner of 12th and William Streets.
It would bring a fresh base of residents to the redeveloping enclave that historically was a Czech settlement and in recent years has added trendy commercial spots including a brewery, coffee shop, tiny house tavern and clothing stores.”..
The complete W-H story link:
https://omaha.com/business/local/little ... 547c3.html
Ciao..LiO...Peace
The Little Bohemia area south of downtown Omaha is poised to get a $17.8 million apartment complex — a big infusion of new rental housing just steps from its growing commercial strip.
The 107-unit complex featuring a courtyard and a parking garage is to rise on the northwest corner of 12th and William Streets.
It would bring a fresh base of residents to the redeveloping enclave that historically was a Czech settlement and in recent years has added trendy commercial spots including a brewery, coffee shop, tiny house tavern and clothing stores.”..
The complete W-H story link:
https://omaha.com/business/local/little ... 547c3.html
Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Very excited about this project. It'll give a big boost to the new businesses that have popped up on 13th.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Agreed. As we have more of these walkable districts, more residential projects will help them succeed. I am still waiting for some residential projects around Vinton Business District and South 24th Street, not that they necessarily need it like these other more 'hip' districts do. I just think those areas are even more walkable with existing amenities like grocers, tailors, bakeries, and more service oriented businesses.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
I think this entire area just south of downtown, 10th to 13th street, is really primed to become a popular, trendy area for entertainment and residential.. The past 15 years of development has really made a difference; and projects like this just keep the momentum going...ita wrote: ↑Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:24 amAgreed. As we have more of these walkable districts, more residential projects will help them succeed. I am still waiting for some residential projects around Vinton Business District and South 24th Street, not that they necessarily need it like these other more 'hip' districts do. I just think those areas are even more walkable with existing amenities like grocers, tailors, bakeries, and more service oriented businesses.
Ciao..LiO..Peace
Go Cowboys!
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Having it rest on a hill is also such a cool view in either direction as buildings rise. Either from the main DT core facing the hill to the south with new midrises or from the residential midrises on the hill to the south facing the main skyline.Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 pmI think this entire area just south of downtown, 10th to 13th street, is really primed to become a popular, trendy area for entertainment and residential.. The past 15 years of development has really made a difference; and projects like this just keep the momentum going...ita wrote: ↑Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:24 amAgreed. As we have more of these walkable districts, more residential projects will help them succeed. I am still waiting for some residential projects around Vinton Business District and South 24th Street, not that they necessarily need it like these other more 'hip' districts do. I just think those areas are even more walkable with existing amenities like grocers, tailors, bakeries, and more service oriented businesses.
Ciao..LiO..Peace
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Here's the PUR application with renderings of the elevations. The 'rear' building looks like a close cousin of the Duke with its massing.
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ber/23.pdf
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ber/23.pdf
Human Relations
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:54 pm
This is the same as the proposed 112 Unit "Bohemian" Apartments at 1306 S 12th Street, just a new name and downsized by 5 units. correct?
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Yeah, this is it.U R my Helix wrote: ↑Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:33 pm This is the same as the proposed 112 Unit "Bohemian" Apartments at 1306 S 12th Street, just a new name and downsized by 5 units. correct?
Library Board
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 pm
The application is self-contradictory, Brad. It states in multiple places that no part of the building is open to the public, and states in multiple other places that there will be a taproom for consuming beer on-premises. We are missing something.
Home Owners Association
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 am
Location: Omaha
Received a notification that 1424 S 13th is applying for a liquor license. This is now the Bohemian Gardens which will host public and private events as I understand. I attended their open house on Saturday and it's an amazing space hiding behind this brick wall.
Images from their Facebook page:


Images from their Facebook page:


Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
Home Owners Association
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:36 pm
Location: Chicago
Fascinating! It had been for sale for $1 million for awhile last year and then I just stopped checking. It is a beautiful space and that use will be perfect for it and the area.Lillian Bean wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:07 pm Received a notification that 1424 S 13th is applying for a liquor license. This is now the Bohemian Gardens which will host public and private events as I understand. I attended their open house on Saturday and it's an amazing space hiding behind this brick wall.
Images from their Facebook page:
![]()
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
Very nice.. Such a beautiful looking place. I need to get out there again soon..Lillian Bean wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:07 pm Received a notification that 1424 S 13th is applying for a liquor license. This is now the Bohemian Gardens which will host public and private events as I understand. I attended their open house on Saturday and it's an amazing space hiding behind this brick wall.
Images from their Facebook page:
![]()
Thanks for the update
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Home Owners Association
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: Country Club
This was the house and guesthouse of the former pastor of Countryside Church who moved last winter. I'm glad to see their beautiful property being put to creative use.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Dundee Bank opens branch in Little Bohemia
Cindy Gonzalez
A signature corner of the historic Little Bohemia neighborhood south of downtown Omaha is now home to Dundee Bank's third branch.
...
Passersby might recognize a refreshed Little Bohemia mural on the north exterior wall, done with help of local Arbor Street Studios.
Additionally, the Bohemian Cafe neon parking sign just outside the bank was refurbished as part of the bank's efforts to preserve the neighborhood flavor.
...
The new bank includes, along with inside services, a second floor deck area, an ATM and a drive-through lane.
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
I think that is a solid addition to the neighborhood.
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm
The post office here is also getting a makeover... The work has started and the front glass is currently coming down
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Photo from the Downtowwn Omaha facebook page:


Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Thanks for the intel and pic guys! This can have a nice impact to the area since it's one of the larger buildings.
City Council
Posts: 10813
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
There are no lighted crosswalks between Martha and William on 13th, that's a half mile stretch. I believe they have already said that there will be no road diet here. As this part of town gets more pedestrian activity I hope they add a additional safe crosswalk or two along this stretch. People can catch one or two more red lights on their way out of DT to help people cross the street safely.
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am
This is such a bummer to hear, I have a document outlining the road design to slow traffic and add bike lanes. When did they decide this was no longer the plan?iamjacobm wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:50 pm There are no lighted crosswalks between Martha and William on 13th, that's a half mile stretch. I believe they have already said that there will be no road diet here. As this part of town gets more pedestrian activity I hope they add a additional safe crosswalk or two along this stretch. People can catch one or two more red lights on their way out of DT to help people cross the street safely.
City Council
Posts: 10813
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
I believe the plan for the bike lane on 13th was just Leavenworth and north. I am going off memory, but when I went to a community meeting on 13th street a few years back some people were hoping they could take the road down to 1 lane each way with a middle turn lane like 24th street. They said they can't due to 13th being a truck route and need to keep the two lanes each way.Taco wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:18 amThis is such a bummer to hear, I have a document outlining the road design to slow traffic and add bike lanes. When did they decide this was no longer the plan?iamjacobm wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:50 pm There are no lighted crosswalks between Martha and William on 13th, that's a half mile stretch. I believe they have already said that there will be no road diet here. As this part of town gets more pedestrian activity I hope they add a additional safe crosswalk or two along this stretch. People can catch one or two more red lights on their way out of DT to help people cross the street safely.
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am
Here's a link to a summary of the study I think we are both talking about: https://www.olsson.com/news/a-street-fo ... l-corridoriamjacobm wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:41 pmI believe the plan for the bike lane on 13th was just Leavenworth and north. I am going off memory, but when I went to a community meeting on 13th street a few years back some people were hoping they could take the road down to 1 lane each way with a middle turn lane like 24th street. They said they can't due to 13th being a truck route and need to keep the two lanes each way.Taco wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:18 amThis is such a bummer to hear, I have a document outlining the road design to slow traffic and add bike lanes. When did they decide this was no longer the plan?iamjacobm wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:50 pm There are no lighted crosswalks between Martha and William on 13th, that's a half mile stretch. I believe they have already said that there will be no road diet here. As this part of town gets more pedestrian activity I hope they add a additional safe crosswalk or two along this stretch. People can catch one or two more red lights on their way out of DT to help people cross the street safely.
And another link with what I believe is the city's final proposal: https://keepomahamoving.com/application ... tation.pdf
Disappointing that it looks like there is no current plan for improvements, not even the curb cuts and wider sidewalks outlined in the study. A missed opportunity to further enliven this neighborhood.
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha
In my opinion, there needs to be some sort of throughfare to support commerce in every section of town. 13th goes straight into Downtown and is an important feeder to support everything that goes on Downtown... They dieted Park Ave, 24th, 16th, and 10th never was a big one. There needs to be something to work with.