Lol..
And on that note, we will now lay this silly thread to rest…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Lol..
You are exactly right, but every time I go to the Twin Cities, I will drive out of my way just for the experience. In college, my friends and I would go in and order a dozen “bellybombers” and the guy behind the counter would laugh and give us extra fries. If I had to choose a bellybomber or a Juicy Lucy, I would get a bomber every time, even though my gut would scream at me an hour later.
White Castle was in KC until at least the late 90's, maybe early 2000's. We used to go to one off of I70 in Independence.omahacacher wrote: ↑Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 pmYou are exactly right, but every time I go to the Twin Cities, I will drive out of my way just for the experience. In college, my friends and I would go in and order a dozen “bellybombers” and the guy behind the counter would laugh and give us extra fries. If I had to choose a bellybomber or a Juicy Lucy, I would get a bomber every time, even though my gut would scream at me an hour later.
Yes, they were! We used to stop at one on Metcalf. I slightly disagree with earlier comments -- I think White Castle had their own brand of flavor, probably a top-secret blend of onions and grease. Plus I recall their buns were sometimes soaked with grease. And I still ate them!
I can't remember if there were any White Castles in Omaha, but there were several places in Omaha that had a similar look----Marlowe's in downtown South Omaha was one. Burgers were large and cheap (10 cents), and not half-bad. I've eaten at White Castle-------once.
Don't hold me to it, but I heard there were least two White Castles in Omaha a loooooong time ago, like pre WWII, even saw pictures of em. Both of 'em Downtown. I think around 10th & Howard and something & Farnam.ricko wrote: ↑Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 pm I can't remember if there were any White Castles in Omaha, but there were several places in Omaha that had a similar look----Marlowe's in downtown South Omaha was one. Burgers were large and cheap (10 cents), and not half-bad. I've eaten at White Castle-------once.
Looks like there were at least ten of them, but most didn’t make it past 1930.Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:44 pmDon't hold me to it, but I heard there were least two White Castles in Omaha a loooooong time ago, like pre WWII, even saw pictures of em. Both of 'em Downtown. I think around 10th & Howard and something & Farnam.ricko wrote: ↑Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 pm I can't remember if there were any White Castles in Omaha, but there were several places in Omaha that had a similar look----Marlowe's in downtown South Omaha was one. Burgers were large and cheap (10 cents), and not half-bad. I've eaten at White Castle-------once.
Wow, wonder what happened to them? Probably hard to keep something going after a World War.Padre wrote: ↑Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:43 pmLooks like there were at least ten of them, but most didn’t make it past 1930.Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:44 pmDon't hold me to it, but I heard there were least two White Castles in Omaha a loooooong time ago, like pre WWII, even saw pictures of em. Both of 'em Downtown. I think around 10th & Howard and something & Farnam.ricko wrote: ↑Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 pm I can't remember if there were any White Castles in Omaha, but there were several places in Omaha that had a similar look----Marlowe's in downtown South Omaha was one. Burgers were large and cheap (10 cents), and not half-bad. I've eaten at White Castle-------once.
https://dinerhunter.com/2018/04/01/whit ... -omaha-ne/

Wow, I wonder who their architect was. I had never heard of White Castle.djc311 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:38 amWow, wonder what happened to them? Probably hard to keep something going after a World War.Padre wrote: ↑Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:43 pmLooks like there were at least ten of them, but most didn’t make it past 1930.Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:44 pmDon't hold me to it, but I heard there were least two White Castles in Omaha a loooooong time ago, like pre WWII, even saw pictures of em. Both of 'em Downtown. I think around 10th & Howard and something & Farnam.ricko wrote: ↑Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 pm I can't remember if there were any White Castles in Omaha, but there were several places in Omaha that had a similar look----Marlowe's in downtown South Omaha was one. Burgers were large and cheap (10 cents), and not half-bad. I've eaten at White Castle-------once.
https://dinerhunter.com/2018/04/01/whit ... -omaha-ne/
I had no idea that company has that kind of history.
I guess if it came down to it, I would probably rather see Whattaburger or In N Out here anyway.
i believe there is one in LaVista and in Bellevue. There is also on here in CBBusguy2010 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:43 pm I always forget about Fazoli's. Haven't been there for years, but I drive by it every time I go to Big Red. Is the one still on 132nd & Center? If not, the one on Cass might be the only one left I know of. Might have to have it just one more time before they go belly-up.
Thanks, looks like you named all the other locations in the Metro. I don't recall if there were ever more. It just doesn't seem like that popular of a place.EastCB wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:08 pmi believe there is one in LaVista and in Bellevue. There is also on here in CBBusguy2010 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:43 pm I always forget about Fazoli's. Haven't been there for years, but I drive by it every time I go to Big Red. Is the one still on 132nd & Center? If not, the one on Cass might be the only one left I know of. Might have to have it just one more time before they go belly-up.
It's fast food Italian. Not great but (IMHO) not awful. I'm usually pleasantly surprised when I stop there after not doing so for a long time. Their gimmick used to be all you can eat breadsticks delivered to diners pretty much continuously. When that changed (for any number of reasons) the place seemed to slip a bit (again IMHO).
I have a couple friends that used to work there in high school, and we used to eat there allllll the time, like every freakin' day . It was really good every time they made it because they loaded it up (they didn't do it by the book), but every time after, it just didn't live up to what I expected and I don't believe I've been there in the last ten or so years.garyomaha wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:51 pm It's fast food Italian. Not great but (IMHO) not awful. I'm usually pleasantly surprised when I stop there after not doing so for a long time. Their gimmick used to be all you can eat breadsticks delivered to diners pretty much continuously. When that changed (for any number of reasons) the place seemed to slip a bit (again IMHO).
Yes- Fazoli’s is still open at 132nd and Center…Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:43 pm I always forget about Fazoli's. Haven't been there for years, but I drive by it every time I go to Big Red. Is the one still on 132nd & Center?
Part of it I think is the variety. The DQ on 132nd and Maple is usually busy with slow service. If I want to grab a shake or blizzard type item it's always significantly quicker to go to the Sonic west of there.Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:29 am I went to hyvee last night about 9:40, and I should have got Fazolis because the drive thru was deserted. And guess what I went to hyvee to buy? A pizza haha. But I bought a pineapple pizza.
Anyway, maybe I shoulda took it. I went to timeout the other day for the first time in a couple years and like always, I was about 7th in line. After sitting in line for 15 minutes and only three cars moved, I bailed. Then drove by the Sonic on Saddle Creek, and wouldn't you know, it was also about 10 cars deep, so I disappointedly took myself back home and ate sardines.
Well anyway, I was just gonna get a drink from Sonic for my woman, but after sitting at timeout, I wasn't gonna do it for a drink. Which brings me to this... Why is that sonic on Saddle Creek (or maybe any Sonic) so dam busy all the time? Literally every time I go by there, there is a line wrapped around the building. Sonic isn't even that good.
I know people who only go to Sonic because the ice they use for their drinks is really good. I think they even sell their ice by the bag…
Yep they do. We buy ice from them as well.Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:28 pmI know people who only go to Sonic because the ice they use for their drinks is really good. I think they even sell their ice by the bag…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Totally, I remember going to my first Waffle House when I was like 9-10 years old. We were down south....and by that I mean Kansas City. And yet more than 20 years later it hasn't gone 3 hours north.
My sister told me the other day, she does the same…Greg S wrote: ↑Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:22 amYep they do. We buy ice from them as well.Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:28 pmI know people who only go to Sonic because the ice they use for their drinks is really good. I think they even sell their ice by the bag…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Greg
Flame broiled subs..Padre wrote: ↑Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:10 am Burger King Parent to Buy Firehouse Subs for $1 Billion
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/fast-casual ... -1-billion
From the Article, "“Firehouse Subs is a special brand with a talented team, impressive culture and community focus that resonates with guests and closely aligns with our core values at RBI," RBI CEO Jose Cil said in a statement.”"Padre wrote: ↑Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:10 am Burger King Parent to Buy Firehouse Subs for $1 Billion
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/fast-casual ... -1-billion
Yep.. It’s the BK effect. I don’t know if Firehouse has the chops to overcome it like Popeyes has thus far..garyomaha wrote: ↑Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:09 pm Oh no.
I can't imagine two places further apart in "culture" than Firehouse and BK. One shouts "Welcome!" to you when you come in the door (reminiscent of Gates in KC, for those familiar with them) and the other totally ignores you when you come in the door.