Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10815
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by iamjacobm »

59 unit senior living facility proposed at this site. I didn't notice any mention of affordable housing in this report, but I skimmed briefly. The developer appears to be an affordable developer and I am getting LIHTC vibes from the design. Would be nice to have some new built senior housing in this neighborhood if that is the case.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ary/23.pdf
User avatar
Taco
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by Taco »

While I don't love the design, I am excited for the location and increase in presumably affordable housing. If I remember correctly, this will be built on a former Land Bank property as well.

Edit: Checked my notes - 4 properties were purchased from OMLB for a total of 193K. I believe this is the largest project proposed on a former OMLB property.
Vitruvius
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Vitruvius »

I agree about the design. They could do something a little more uplifting and bright and stay on budget. Richer color, and nix the bold outlining of everything.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4747
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by ita »

Agreed on the lack of design. This looks like the project just finished at 14th and Castelar.
User avatar
Taco
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Taco »

ita wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:21 pm Agreed on the lack of design. This looks like the project just finished at 14th and Castelar.
It's like there's an unwritten code in Omaha that affordable housing projetcs must be drab and bland with the same multitoned color scheme. The buildings by OneWorld at 30th and L have similar colors/materials and the garage lofts on 24th aren't much different. Of course, I've complained about the red elements on that new building proposed at 27th and Leavenworth, so who knows.
Vitruvius
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Vitruvius »

Better design standards please... or more flexibility. Is there a design review board with peeps from all walks of design?
User avatar
Globochem
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:59 am
Location: Worldwide

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Globochem »

The siding makes it seem substantially lower in build quality and finish. Strange to see it reused throughout east Omaha. The location, on the other hand, is fantastic!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7329
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Busguy2010 »

Whew! I saw the thread title and I immediately went into defense mode. "Not in my back yard". As there was mention of this in another thread, and with the momentum happening in Midtown, I had a fear that (more) gentrification was invading further out in this case... I think someone in the other thread mentioned they would love to see 40th & Hamilton developed, and I didn't say anything, but I'm like :no:

I don't mind that this looks like |expletive| here. All the better IMO, because I don't want that part of town to become attractive to developers. I just hope they don't get any ideas soon or ever.
User avatar
Globochem
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:59 am
Location: Worldwide

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Globochem »

Agreed! Empty storefronts for vagrants to set fires to are waaaay preferable to development. Or better yet, the resulting brownfields of abandoned lots strewn with condoms and needles are great for community feel and help develop pride in the neighborhood.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7329
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Busguy2010 »

Globochem wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:25 pm Agreed! Empty storefronts for vagrants to set fires to are waaaay preferable to development. Or better yet, the resulting brownfields of abandoned lots strewn with condoms and needles are great for community feel and help develop pride in the neighborhood.
Yes, I like it the way it has been. I've spent a lot of time around that area throughout my life, and I like it as-is. What I get sick of is basically people, developers seeing an area and saying "This has potential!"... For their profit. It will rarely, if ever benefit anybody living next door. But as I said, I'm glad it looks like that will not happen here.
Vitruvius
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Vitruvius »

Maybe they'll rename Hamilton... Shantytown Boulevard!
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by S.O.Boy »

Hopefully, it spurs improvement of the area.

A couple years back, at 9 AM I pulled into the church parking lot across the street. A drunk woman carrying a liquor bottle approached my vehicle demanding I leave the parking lot.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7329
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Busguy2010 »

I am absolutely not saying its a good area, just that I don't want to see it go through gentrification. Its ghetto and I like it that way.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4937
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Louie »

Seems like an odd stance to have.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7329
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Busguy2010 »

Louie wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:40 am Seems like an odd stance to have.
I can see why it would sound odd... But I have lived around these types of conditions, and hate to see them displaced, replaced by something with an under-attainable value. Yes, the idea of improvement is great. I'd love to see all the houses around here in perfect condition, but not at the cost of displacement. Everybody needs a place to live, and I bounced around this area during college. And it worked for me because it was cheap. Yeah, definitely ship-e, but cheap. I lived at 38th & Hamilton, 43rd & Parker, and 41st & Burt for a couple years. My fear of gentrification is real. May be presumptive right now, but it could become reality with all the momentum developers have right now. I mean, those $600,000 townhomes on 46th are just a skip over the creek.

But like I said earlier, that is not happening here, and I am glad.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4747
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by ita »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:30 pm
Louie wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:40 am Seems like an odd stance to have.
I can see why it would sound odd... But I have lived around these types of conditions, and hate to see them displaced, replaced by something with an under-attainable value. Yes, the idea of improvement is great. I'd love to see all the houses around here in perfect condition, but not at the cost of displacement. Everybody needs a place to live, and I bounced around this area during college. And it worked for me because it was cheap. Yeah, definitely ship-e, but cheap. I lived at 38th & Hamilton, 43rd & Parker, and 41st & Burt for a couple years. My fear of gentrification is real. May be presumptive right now, but it could become reality with all the momentum developers have right now. I mean, those $600,000 townhomes on 46th are just a skip over the creek.

But like I said earlier, that is not happening here, and I am glad.
I have said this before, but there is a certain level of appreciation and investment that is helpful for neighborhoods that have long been undervalued relative to other neighborhoods in the city. If these neighborhoods to continue to have depressed property values and no investment is made in them, than neighborhoods will just decline versus be upkept or improved. There just wouldn't make practical or economic sense for a property owner if values stagnated or depreciated.

There are some neighborhoods, like Hanscom park, that have avoided getrificaton but have had solid but not explosive appreciation over time. It's generally well kept, but affordable, based on current market conditons. A lot of owners are longtime residents, so that helps as well.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7329
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Busguy2010 »

ita wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:17 pm I have said this before, but there is a certain level of appreciation and investment that is helpful for neighborhoods that have long been undervalued relative to other neighborhoods in the city. If these neighborhoods to continue to have depressed property values and no investment is made in them, than neighborhoods will just decline versus be upkept or improved. There just wouldn't make practical or economic sense for a property owner if values stagnated or depreciated.
I agree with that to the extent that its mostly benign improvement, such as if a homeowner decides to get a new roof, new siding, new driveway, new HVAC, etc. More power to 'em. But only in the context of what people who live there now can afford. Such as if they can't afford it, there's a reason it hasn't been done. But when the new money comes in, and they can afford to do that stuff, it will inflate the area beyond the context of what is there at the moment.

Again, I see that isn't happening here in this case, which I believe is for the better.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4747
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by ita »

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... TIFAPP.pdf

TIF Application for April meeting. Four story building, pretty meh design. However, I do want to see more senior housing in the urban environment, particularly the core, where occupants have easy access, without needing to drive, to medical services, parks, and other cultural amenities.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Garrett »

There definitely needs to be better design and incorporation of senior housing into urban areas, especially as our population increasingly ages. Assisted living, nursing homes, and memory care are just so isolated from the urban fabric because of how they’re currently treated in zoning laws.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Athomsfere »

Garrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:58 pm There definitely needs to be better design and incorporation of senior housing into urban areas, especially as our population increasingly ages. Assisted living, nursing homes, and memory care are just so isolated from the urban fabric because of how they’re currently treated in zoning laws.
So we need Elmwood Tower 2.0 at MTC!!!
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Garrett »

Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:06 pm
Garrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:58 pm There definitely needs to be better design and incorporation of senior housing into urban areas, especially as our population increasingly ages. Assisted living, nursing homes, and memory care are just so isolated from the urban fabric because of how they’re currently treated in zoning laws.
So we need Elmwood Tower 2.0 at MTC!!!
Haha actually almost the opposite of that too.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Athomsfere »

Garrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:16 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:06 pm
Garrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:58 pm There definitely needs to be better design and incorporation of senior housing into urban areas, especially as our population increasingly ages. Assisted living, nursing homes, and memory care are just so isolated from the urban fabric because of how they’re currently treated in zoning laws.
So we need Elmwood Tower 2.0 at MTC!!!
Haha actually almost the opposite of that too.
I've always thought that building was great what it is. Not flashy, retirement spot. Elevators for easy access.

I've never been inside it, but with a location like MTC where they could walk around a park, or to clinic, or for groceries... It just seems perfect.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Garrett »

Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:20 pm
Garrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:16 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:06 pm
Garrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:58 pm There definitely needs to be better design and incorporation of senior housing into urban areas, especially as our population increasingly ages. Assisted living, nursing homes, and memory care are just so isolated from the urban fabric because of how they’re currently treated in zoning laws.
So we need Elmwood Tower 2.0 at MTC!!!
Haha actually almost the opposite of that too.
I've always thought that building was great what it is. Not flashy, retirement spot. Elevators for easy access.

I've never been inside it, but with a location like MTC where they could walk around a park, or to clinic, or for groceries... It just seems perfect.
Yes and no. Good density but it ends up being separated from the street and other uses. Elmwood Tower itself isn’t terribly bad, especially since it’s just a retirement home. We treat assisted living and other more care based systems as medical or institutional uses in the zoning code, they end up being these massive structures isolated from other pockets of residential uses, and that in turn isolates their residents from the community, contributing to more loneliness. A greater emphasis on smaller scale community based living facilities with greater mixed use options should be explored.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Hamilton Village -- 41st and Hamilton

Post by Athomsfere »

Garrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:47 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:20 pm
Garrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:16 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:06 pm
Garrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:58 pm There definitely needs to be better design and incorporation of senior housing into urban areas, especially as our population increasingly ages. Assisted living, nursing homes, and memory care are just so isolated from the urban fabric because of how they’re currently treated in zoning laws.
So we need Elmwood Tower 2.0 at MTC!!!
Haha actually almost the opposite of that too.
I've always thought that building was great what it is. Not flashy, retirement spot. Elevators for easy access.

I've never been inside it, but with a location like MTC where they could walk around a park, or to clinic, or for groceries... It just seems perfect.
Yes and no. Good density but it ends up being separated from the street and other uses. Elmwood Tower itself isn’t terribly bad, especially since it’s just a retirement home. We treat assisted living and other more care based systems as medical or institutional uses in the zoning code, they end up being these massive structures isolated from other pockets of residential uses, and that in turn isolates their residents from the community, contributing to more loneliness. A greater emphasis on smaller scale community based living facilities with greater mixed use options should be explored.
I see where you are coming from.

I mean, we are getting way deep into the weeds of an off the cuff remark made in mostly jest but:

I can see these facilities as good things for the residents overall. Put in some little activity zones, gathering spots, maybe a theater... Tons to do on a rainy day with people at a similar point in their lives.

I also though MTC would be a great location, because I also don't want a highrise disconnected from everything.

Unless... I suppose you meant how a highrise can disconnect the residents from the street? In which case, I'd say it's still better than being seperated by blocks and blocks of 100% unwalkable culs de sac.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by S.O.Boy »

There is snow fencing there now and some excavating has been done. But no equipment on site.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by S.O.Boy »

Foundation work has started.
Vitruvius
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by Vitruvius »

ita wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:13 pm https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... TIFAPP.pdf

TIF Application for April meeting. Four story building, pretty meh design. However, I do want to see more senior housing in the urban environment, particularly the core, where occupants have easy access, without needing to drive, to medical services, parks, and other cultural amenities.
Maybe Artificial Intelligence will replace the architecture profession.
Hand over all the specs for this plan, and watch Artificial Intelligence deliver a smarter, more appealing, more complimentary design.
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by buildomaha »

Vitruvius wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:13 pm
ita wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:13 pm https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... TIFAPP.pdf

TIF Application for April meeting. Four story building, pretty meh design. However, I do want to see more senior housing in the urban environment, particularly the core, where occupants have easy access, without needing to drive, to medical services, parks, and other cultural amenities.
Maybe Artificial Intelligence will replace the architecture profession.
Hand over all the specs for this plan, and watch Artificial Intelligence deliver a smarter, more appealing, more complimentary design.
1. I don’t think it will be quite possible to eliminate humans from architecture, even with ai advancements.

2. Architecture (particularly in the states) has suffered from the short sighted profit seeking mindset that has engulfed every part of the economy in the past few decades. Not only are clients unwilling to pay what architects and their skills are worth, but firms have to churn out lame designs to make any money.
#gohawks
Vitruvius
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by Vitruvius »

It's perplexing. If someone is wise, they will gracefully heed the recommendations of a doctor or lawyer when they seek their advice and services. However, when that same person hires an architect or designer, all of a sudden, they are the experts and know everything. 😂
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by S.O.Boy »

North East corner of Military Road & Hamilton. All vegetation is gone. Fencing removed. Stakes there. And surveying has happening today.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by S.O.Boy »

Steel has been erected.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4937
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by Louie »

Just googling the location and I am sure this has been answered before, but what is this black strcuture thingy on the west end of Walnut Hill Park?
Image
User avatar
Dundeemaha
Human Relations
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Country Club

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by Dundeemaha »

That is the old reservoir.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex

Re: Hamilton Village (41st and Hamilton)

Post by S.O.Boy »

S.O.Boy wrote: Tue May 20, 2025 11:57 pm North East corner of Military Road & Hamilton. All vegetation is gone. Fencing removed. Stakes there. And surveying has happening today.
There off street diagonal parking for about a dozen cars.