Heartland of America Park

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Doctor Fate »

Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Cermak »

Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 am Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
I’m at the point that even a sharp looking 12 or 14 story building would be much welcomed. Seems so incredibly hard for Omaha to add any new height DT. Sometimes you just need to roll the dice.
User avatar
mcarch
Library Board
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:44 pm
Location: Elkhorn

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by mcarch »

SiliconFarmer wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:37 pm nope, just a fraction of what it used to be
That is sad! It used to be one of the tallest fountains in the world at one point.
mcarch
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 am Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
I can’t help but think there is and will be.. Once this project is completed in a few years, this entire area will be a hot point of destination and I’d think a number of developers realize this.. and would want to get in while the gettin’ is good...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Linkin5 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:04 pm
Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 am Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
I can’t help but think there is and will be.. Once this project is completed in a few years, this entire area will be a hot point of destination and I’d think a number of developers realize this.. and would want to get in while the gettin’ is good...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I just listened to that episode, I think they were just referring to the initial renderings and what will hopefully be there someday. But I do agree I definitely think there will be residential and at least one high rise residential that is built because of this.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:12 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:04 pm
Doctor Fate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 am Was listening to a Grow Omaha episode from 8/29/2020 and Jeff mentioned that there were preliminary high rise proposals being floated around for the area just south of the freeway and north of Heartland of America. I know that past master plans for the area have shown high rises there but I wonder if there is renewed interest?
I can’t help but think there is and will be.. Once this project is completed in a few years, this entire area will be a hot point of destination and I’d think a number of developers realize this.. and would want to get in while the gettin’ is good...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I just listened to that episode, I think they were just referring to the initial renderings and what will hopefully be there someday. But I do agree I definitely think there will be residential and at least one high rise residential that is built because of this.
Yeah, that’s how I understood it too..

I think we’re all hopeful as the Riverfront plan continues through their phases of completion, we’ll hear of perhaps several residential/mixed use high rise proposals over the course of the next several years..

Fingers crossed anyway🤞 ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

Few Aerials from Yesterday:
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Linkin5 »

Great pictures Brad. It’s still shocking to see how different everything is.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:31 am Few Aerials from Yesterday:
Those pics look great Brad :thumb: .. And they show the massive scope of the Riverfront revitalization project and the progress being made..

Can’t wait for the completion in 2024.. $300 million buys an impressive transformation...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

FYI - https://www.ojb.com/project/gene-leahy- ... riverfront

Earlier plans with interesting renderings for the Council bluffs side.
https://www.ojb.com/project/gene-leahy- ... riverfront
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:03 am FYI - https://www.ojb.com/project/gene-leahy- ... riverfront

Earlier plans with interesting renderings for the Council bluffs side.
https://www.ojb.com/project/gene-leahy- ... riverfront
This link from the OBJ project web site shows a glimpse of possible future mixed use, office and residential mid to high rise structures at the front door of the GLM phase of the riverfront revitalization plan. Tap to rendering #4 to view it-

https://www.ojb.com/project/missouri-ri ... talization

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by GetUrban »

From Brad’s views, the park is going to be HUGE ! Of course, hopefully some of it will be filled-in with buildings.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ita »

GetUrban wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:09 am From Brad’s views, the park is going to be HUGE ! Of course, hopefully some of it will be filled-in with buildings.
That's what I am hoping to. I love the aerial of Heartland where you can see where the Conagra/Hines lots are going to be located. You can also tell that Phase 1a, the apartment/retail/parking garage building, is going to be massive.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

Aerial from last night. You can see the new shore on the north (Right) side of the lake starting construction.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by NEDodger »

Cool shot, Brad. I’m out of town and looking at this from my smartphone - is the white “L” shape west of the lake the rebuilt street grid or just some other construction stuff?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

NEDodger wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:21 pm Cool shot, Brad. I’m out of town and looking at this from my smartphone - is the white “L” shape west of the lake the rebuilt street grid or just some other construction stuff?
Thanks. I have more to come.

Yes, its the new streets going back in. Will be nice to have that connectivity back.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

Aerial Photo Update:
1.
Image

2.
Image
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Wow..

Fantastic aerial work Brad.. So much going on in the downtown core :thumb: …

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ita »

From the most recent newsletter about the pier:
Throughout the planning and construction process, The RiverFront project's primary goal has been to reconnect the city and its people with the neighboring Missouri River. Thanks to the iconic Farnam Pier in Heartland of America Park, visitors will have a better waterfront view than ever before.

Standing at roughly 235-feet-long, this picturesque destination will extend from the Farnam Promenade, out and over the railroad tracks, and above the Missouri River's edge.

The pier entrance consists of an accessible ramp, stairs, and some scenic seating. As guests stroll down and onto the pier, decorative ribs will extend up to approximately 27-feet high, with color changing lights that will compliment the nearby Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. Closer to the edge, the ribs open to reveal a breathtaking panoramic of the Missouri River, with a transparent enclosure at the very end, giving guests an extended line-of-sight at the water below.

The Farnam Pier will begin to noticeably take shape throughout the next year. The RiverFront's construction team will immediately focus on installing key infrastructure, and when the river is low, pile will be driven into the ground to support the pier's massive frame. Once those steps are complete, installing the physical pier will require the largest crane to ever be used in downtown Omaha.

As the Farnam Pier forms above the Missouri River, it will serve as an important reminder of The RiverFront project's goals. This iconic amenity will showcase Omaha's connection to the Missouri River, while providing an all-encompassing view of the city's naturally surrounding landscape.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

ita wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:52 pm From the most recent newsletter about the pier:
Once those steps are complete, installing the physical pier will require the largest crane to ever be used in downtown Omaha.
:shock: :shock:
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:04 pm
ita wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:52 pm From the most recent newsletter about the pier:
Once those steps are complete, installing the physical pier will require the largest crane to ever be used in downtown Omaha.
:shock: :shock:
When I read that in the newsletter, I had the same reaction, lol…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Garrett »

Brad wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:04 pm
ita wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:52 pm From the most recent newsletter about the pier:
Once those steps are complete, installing the physical pier will require the largest crane to ever be used in downtown Omaha.
:shock: :shock:
Booking helicopter dates now?

I'm very excited for this though. Parks that can incorporate well with natural environments are my favorites.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Louie »

Do they have renderings out for it?
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:32 pm Do they have renderings out for it?
This is the only one I've seen.

Image
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by skinzfan23 »

What was the previous largest crane? Was that the First National building or was that just the tallest?
Vitruvius
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Vitruvius »

Will the public be allowed to walk completely around the lake now? Or will the iron fence going down into it still be in place?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:16 pm Will the public be allowed to walk completely around the lake now? Or will the iron fence going down into it still be in place?
The iron fence has been open for over a decade.
Vitruvius
Home Owners Association
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Vitruvius »

Brad wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:33 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:16 pm Will the public be allowed to walk completely around the lake now? Or will the iron fence going down into it still be in place?
The iron fence has been open for over a decade.
:lol: just recalling the past absurdity.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ita »

This isn't anything too exciting, but it looks like the City is clearing some existing issues regarding alleys and old street rights through the lot north of HOA that has been long identified for a possible residential mid/high rise. Also, the city is extending Douglas to connect with Riverfront Drive.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ary/14.pdf
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From today’s W-H-

“Just north of the bustling redevelopment of Gene Leahy Mall in downtown Omaha, construction has begun on what could become one of the area’s most popular year-round attractions.

A skate ribbon is taking shape as part of the $400 million public-private overhaul of Omaha’s three downtown riverfront parks.

The skate ribbon will be about the length of a football field, said Katie Bassett, vice president of parks for the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority.

It will resemble Chicago’s Maggie Daley Park Ice Skating Ribbon, a design planners of Omaha’s skate ribbon drew inspiration from, Bassett said.

The amenity is expected to open with the Heartland of America Park in summer 2023 and will offer ice skating in the winter and roller blading in the summer.“..

The complete W-H story link:

https://omaha.com/news/local/heartland- ... -top-story

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Stargazer »

I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Linkin5 »

Stargazer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:05 pm I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
Yeah it was one of the best parts of the project.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ita »

Linkin5 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:49 am
Stargazer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:05 pm I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
Yeah it was one of the best parts of the project.
While I miss the skatepark and basketball courts, this was the biggest loss in terms of what's changed from the original concept of the three parks. It would have been neat. Hopefully the pier turns out as cool as they are describing it.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by nebport5 »

ita wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:52 pm From the most recent newsletter about the pier:
Throughout the planning and construction process, The RiverFront project's primary goal has been to reconnect the city and its people with the neighboring Missouri River. Thanks to the iconic Farnam Pier in Heartland of America Park, visitors will have a better waterfront view than ever before.

Standing at roughly 235-feet-long, this picturesque destination will extend from the Farnam Promenade, out and over the railroad tracks, and above the Missouri River's edge.

The pier entrance consists of an accessible ramp, stairs, and some scenic seating. As guests stroll down and onto the pier, decorative ribs will extend up to approximately 27-feet high, with color changing lights that will compliment the nearby Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. Closer to the edge, the ribs open to reveal a breathtaking panoramic of the Missouri River, with a transparent enclosure at the very end, giving guests an extended line-of-sight at the water below.

The Farnam Pier will begin to noticeably take shape throughout the next year. The RiverFront's construction team will immediately focus on installing key infrastructure, and when the river is low, pile will be driven into the ground to support the pier's massive frame. Once those steps are complete, installing the physical pier will require the largest crane to ever be used in downtown Omaha.

As the Farnam Pier forms above the Missouri River, it will serve as an important reminder of The RiverFront project's goals. This iconic amenity will showcase Omaha's connection to the Missouri River, while providing an all-encompassing view of the city's naturally surrounding landscape.
Breathtaking!? 🤣 like from falling in the damm river? Well I bet Brad can make an eastern gaze at the Muddy Mo "breathtaking" but this paragraph reads like a trashy romance novel. Ribs with color changing lights!? Please No!!

Tasteful lighting? Yes!
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by nebport5 »

Stargazer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:05 pm I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
Ok what exactly got cut? They're still doing the sexy pier? Old rendering?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

nebport5 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:16 pm
Stargazer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:05 pm I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
Ok what exactly got cut? They're still doing the sexy pier? Old rendering?
They were going to put the railroad tracks in a tunnel and have a green lawn over the top of it. The pier just started construction, not sure how "sexy" it is?
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ita »

Brad wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:31 pm
nebport5 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:16 pm
Stargazer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:05 pm I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
Ok what exactly got cut? They're still doing the sexy pier? Old rendering?
They were going to put the railroad tracks in a tunnel and have a green lawn over the top of it. The pier just started construction, not sure how "sexy" it is?
Here's an old presentation of HAP. Also, something that got cut...water taxis? What!? I totally forgot about it.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnew ... 21.pdf.pdf
OmahaOmaha
Library Board
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I’m glad they didn’t put the railroad tracks in a tunnel. Some us like watching trains. I think we have enough lawns in Downtown Omaha anyway.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

OmahaOmaha wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:24 pm I’m glad they didn’t put the railroad tracks in a tunnel. Some us like watching trains. I think we have enough lawns in Downtown Omaha anyway.
I don't think the intent was to ever hide the trains. They wanted a better flow between the parks and the riverfront.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:31 pm
nebport5 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:16 pm
Stargazer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:05 pm I guess everyone already knew this, I don't stop by enough.. I'm terribly depressed that they cut out the portion of the project covering the rail line.
Ok what exactly got cut? They're still doing the sexy pier? Old rendering?
They were going to put the railroad tracks in a tunnel and have a green lawn over the top of it. The pier just started construction, not sure how "sexy" it is?
I forgot to put "sexy" in quotes.