Original Omaha Locations?
-
Silverspoon
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Original Omaha Locations?
When did the first Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc come to town, and where were they located? Was the first Kmart in town the 50th L location?
Target - Saddle Creek - 36th Target store in the nation
- Super Target - 132nd Maple - 1st in the nation
- Super Target - 84th in Papillion - 3rd in the nation
Walmart - 103rd Fort circa 1991
Target - Saddle Creek - 36th Target store in the nation
- Super Target - 132nd Maple - 1st in the nation
- Super Target - 84th in Papillion - 3rd in the nation
Walmart - 103rd Fort circa 1991
Last edited by Silverspoon on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Flowers rules!
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2518
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
The first Walmart I can remember was the La Vista Walmart at 84th & Giles. That would have been like 1999 or 2000. Though, I doubt the La Vista location is where they chose to make their Omaha metro area debut.
K-Mart is tougher. K-Mart was never great at maintaining their properties, so nearly every K-Mart felt (and looked) like it could be the oldest. lol
K-Mart is tougher. K-Mart was never great at maintaining their properties, so nearly every K-Mart felt (and looked) like it could be the oldest. lol
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7335
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I seem to remember the Walmart at 103rd & Fort pre-dating that one. The one in Bellevue has to be pretty old, as well as the one by Lake Manawa.ChadJK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:13 pm The first Walmart I can remember was the La Vista Walmart at 84th & Giles. That would have been like 1999 or 2000. Though, I doubt the La Vista location is where they chose to make their Omaha metro area debut.
The one in Irvington was the first modern Walmart, with it now being the oldest modern layout building. Finally recently got remodeled.
-
NEDodger
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1361
- Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 am
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
103rd and Fort would have been circa 1991.
-
omahacacher
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 65
- Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 am
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
As for Target, Omaha’s first one was on Saddle Creek just north of Dodge. It was the 36th Target to open in the country.
As for SuperTarget, the location on 132nd and West Maple was not only the first SuperTarget in the metro, but the very first one in the nation. Joe Montana came to Omaha for the grand opening. It opened in March of 1995. The Papillion location was the third SuperTarget in the country, opening in March of 1996.
As for SuperTarget, the location on 132nd and West Maple was not only the first SuperTarget in the metro, but the very first one in the nation. Joe Montana came to Omaha for the grand opening. It opened in March of 1995. The Papillion location was the third SuperTarget in the country, opening in March of 1996.
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1280
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
IIRC, the first McD was ~80th @ Dodge (Dodge City!). BK was 114th @ Dodge. Educated guess on Wendy's, but I think either 84th @ F or 108th @ M.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7335
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Pretty weird to think a company as big as Walmart didn't enter Omaha until 1991. That seems really pretty recent... But then I remember that was 30 years ago. Time flies.
-
Cermak
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2335
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
That was cool Omaha got the first Super Target in the world. even when I go in that store now it seems a little bigger than the other Super Targets in town.
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1553
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
First McD was 24th I think. Now a Mega Saver. The one on 80th & Dodge (now a vet) has a later building prototype.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013721
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
The 1st K-Mart opened in Omaha was the 50th and L location in 1968..
The W-H story link when the location closed in 2019:
https://omaha.com/business/omahas-first ... e9a46.html
Ciao..LiO…Peace
The W-H story link when the location closed in 2019:
https://omaha.com/business/omahas-first ... e9a46.html
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Silverspoon
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I was one of the kids who got to run a short pattern and catch a pass from Montana that day. One of the highlights of my life.omahacacher wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:31 pm As for Target, Omaha’s first one was on Saddle Creek just north of Dodge. It was the 36th Target to open in the country.
As for SuperTarget, the location on 132nd and West Maple was not only the first SuperTarget in the metro, but the very first one in the nation. Joe Montana came to Omaha for the grand opening. It opened in March of 1995. The Papillion location was the third SuperTarget in the country, opening in March of 1996.
Jim Flowers rules!
-
Silverspoon
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I dont know how far behind the old LaVista store was, but I remember my friends mom working there circa 1992-1993.Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 pmPretty weird to think a company as big as Walmart didn't enter Omaha until 1991. That seems really pretty recent... But then I remember that was 30 years ago. Time flies.
Jim Flowers rules!
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1553
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Third Super Target. I can't recall where the second one is. 132nd is Store # 530, Papillion is # 532.Silverspoon wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 pmI dont know how far behind the old LaVista store was, but I remember my friends mom working there circa 1992-1993.Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 pmPretty weird to think a company as big as Walmart didn't enter Omaha until 1991. That seems really pretty recent... But then I remember that was 30 years ago. Time flies.
-
omahacacher
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 65
- Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 am
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
The second store (#531) is in Lawrence, Kansas. The fourth store was #804 in Mason City, Iowa, which was the first existing Target store that had an addition built on and expanded to a SuperTarget.bbinks wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:07 amThird Super Target. I can't recall where the second one is. 132nd is Store # 530, Papillion is # 532.Silverspoon wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 pmI dont know how far behind the old LaVista store was, but I remember my friends mom working there circa 1992-1993.Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 pmPretty weird to think a company as big as Walmart didn't enter Omaha until 1991. That seems really pretty recent... But then I remember that was 30 years ago. Time flies.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2147
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
- Location: Omaha
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I agree - I recall watching Christmas Vacation when it had first come out and they go into Wally World to do some shopping, picking up about 5 bags of "Ol' Roy" WalMart dog food. I was like WOW is WalMart?Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 pmPretty weird to think a company as big as Walmart didn't enter Omaha until 1991. That seems really pretty recent... But then I remember that was 30 years ago. Time flies.
If I had to choose based upon the store "quality" alone, Target always hands down shreds WalMart. The nearest WalMart to us is 180th and Center, which is obviously a newer store and probably has a little less "People of WalMart" stereotypical weirdos. However, now that they've removed about 25% of the store space to make way for grocery pickup or something, the store looks crowded and even less organized. They supposedly remodeled, but the only noticeable thing I see is they took out about 20 real cashiers to make way for self-service scanners.
Maybe I'm on a soapbox about WalMart, but 180th & Center was decent; now it looks congested, messy and confusing and I honestly don't understand what they're doing to the east end of the parking lot and building, besides making it a mess.
Going back to Target, the first ST is definitely the largest in Omaha. I wish the grocery areas were larger in some of their other stores like 180th & Center. But shopping in that Target is like going into a Nordstroms compared to trying to wander through the WalMart out here...
-
damonhynes
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1280
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am
- Location: Montgomery County, Texas
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Ol' Roy: Made from Ol' Roy...djc311 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:12 pmI agree - I recall watching Christmas Vacation when it had first come out and they go into Wally World to do some shopping, picking up about 5 bags of "Ol' Roy" WalMart dog food. I was like WOW is WalMart?Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 pmPretty weird to think a company as big as Walmart didn't enter Omaha until 1991. That seems really pretty recent... But then I remember that was 30 years ago. Time flies.
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
the one at 80th and Dodge may or may not have been the first. But the building there now is the result of a remodel. It replaced a drive thru walk up window type location with the original golden arches that went up through the roof. And there was a neon McD sign out front. I remember when it said over 1 billion served, and some of the following points along the way such as over 3 billion, then 6, then 9 and at some point they just went with Billions and Billions served. The very first hamburger not cooked by my mom that I can remember was at this location. This would have been in the mid to late '60s. Had to eat it in the car as it was a walk up then.bbinks wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:10 pm First McD was 24th I think. Now a Mega Saver. The one on 80th & Dodge (now a vet) has a later building prototype.

ADDENDUM: I remember when Eli Schupack, who was the franchise holder of the 80th and Dodge location in the 70's sued McDonalds. I just looked up the lawsuit and about 1/3 of the way into the document is verification that 80th and Dodge was the first location in Omaha. If you're a history buff, this is a pretty fascinating read. That is, after you get past several legalese paragraphs at the beginning.
https://law.justia.com/cases/nebraska/s ... 114-1.html
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
-
S.O.Boy
- Human Relations
- Posts: 829
- Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:42 am
- Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I thought the 80th and Dodge was torn down for the gas station.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 9006
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
No, it's still there and has been a vet/animal hospital for quite some time.S.O.Boy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:19 am I thought the 80th and Dodge was torn down for the gas station.
Greg
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1553
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Back in the 80s when I worked for Bob Edwards they said at orientation that 24th was the first. Whoever did that prep was wrong I guess.guy4omaha wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:21 amthe one at 80th and Dodge may or may not have been the first. But the building there now is the result of a remodel. It replaced a drive thru walk up window type location with the original golden arches that went up through the roof. And there was a neon McD sign out front. I remember when it said over 1 billion served, and some of the following points along the way such as over 3 billion, then 6, then 9 and at some point they just went with Billions and Billions served. The very first hamburger not cooked by my mom that I can remember was at this location. This would have been in the mid to late '60s. Had to eat it in the car as it was a walk up then.bbinks wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:10 pm First McD was 24th I think. Now a Mega Saver. The one on 80th & Dodge (now a vet) has a later building prototype.
ADDENDUM: I remember when Eli Schupack, who was the franchise holder of the 80th and Dodge location in the 70's sued McDonalds. I just looked up the lawsuit and about 1/3 of the way into the document is verification that 80th and Dodge was the first location in Omaha. If you're a history buff, this is a pretty fascinating read. That is, after you get past several legalese paragraphs at the beginning.
https://law.justia.com/cases/nebraska/s ... 114-1.html
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I wasn't sure if 80th and Dodge was the first but I knew it had to be one of the first. But I remembered the tussle between McDonalds and Eli Schupack in the 70s. At the time, I couldn't tell if McDonald's didn't renew his franchise or if he walked away from it or what. I have always wondered what that was about. So when I saw this thread it reminded me to see if I could find something on the internet now describing what that lawsuit and parting of ways back then was all about.Back in the 80s when I worked for Bob Edwards they said at orientation that 24th was the first. Whoever did that prep was wrong I guess.
And as I was reading it along came the documentation of 80th and Dodge being the first location. I wouldn't be surprised if both locations opened up within a very short time of each other.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 9006
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I remember my Dad talking about the lawsuit with McDonald's over the 80th Dodge location. After he lost it, it became I believe Dodge CIty Hamburgers or Dodge St Hamburgers. McDonald's then opened up the location at 75th and Dodge. And within a year or so, the restaurant on 80th closed for good.guy4omaha wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:27 pmI wasn't sure if 80th and Dodge was the first but I knew it had to be one of the first. But I remembered the tussle between McDonalds and Eli Schupack in the 70s. At the time, I couldn't tell if McDonald's didn't renew his franchise or if he walked away from it or what. I have always wondered what that was about. So when I saw this thread it reminded me to see if I could find something on the internet now describing what that lawsuit and parting of ways back then was all about.Back in the 80s when I worked for Bob Edwards they said at orientation that 24th was the first. Whoever did that prep was wrong I guess.
And as I was reading it along came the documentation of 80th and Dodge being the first location. I wouldn't be surprised if both locations opened up within a very short time of each other.
Greg
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1553
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Probably one of the reasons McD Corp now owns the building and land instead of the franchisee. In this case all they could do is revoke the franchise license.Greg S wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:05 pmI remember my Dad talking about the lawsuit with McDonald's over the 80th Dodge location. After he lost it, it became I believe Dodge CIty Hamburgers or Dodge St Hamburgers. McDonald's then opened up the location at 75th and Dodge. And within a year or so, the restaurant on 80th closed for good.guy4omaha wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:27 pmI wasn't sure if 80th and Dodge was the first but I knew it had to be one of the first. But I remembered the tussle between McDonalds and Eli Schupack in the 70s. At the time, I couldn't tell if McDonald's didn't renew his franchise or if he walked away from it or what. I have always wondered what that was about. So when I saw this thread it reminded me to see if I could find something on the internet now describing what that lawsuit and parting of ways back then was all about.Back in the 80s when I worked for Bob Edwards they said at orientation that 24th was the first. Whoever did that prep was wrong I guess.
And as I was reading it along came the documentation of 80th and Dodge being the first location. I wouldn't be surprised if both locations opened up within a very short time of each other.
Greg
-
HskrFanMike
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:40 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Walmart was a small southern regional chain throughout the 60s and 70s; it didn't really start growing until the 80s, and even then, they avoided major metro areas that were already home to Target and Kmart. In 1980, Walmart had only 276 stores...Kmart had over 2,000.Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 pmPretty weird to think a company as big as Walmart didn't enter Omaha until 1991. That seems really pretty recent... But then I remember that was 30 years ago. Time flies.
And that regional influence wasn't just a Walmart tradition... Target was the same; they didn't even open a store in Chicago until 1993.
-
mrsticka
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
- Location: Lincoln
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Where was the first ShopKo? 84th and West Center or 144th and West Center? And what about the first Albertsons? 108th and Q? 144th and West Center?
-
Silverspoon
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I dont know for sure, but Im thinking the first Shop-Ko might have been 30th Forrest Lawn.mrsticka wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:23 am Where was the first ShopKo? 84th and West Center or 144th and West Center? And what about the first Albertsons? 108th and Q? 144th and West Center?
Jim Flowers rules!
-
mrsticka
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
- Location: Lincoln
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Is that when the Target on 90th and Maple closed?omahacacher wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:31 pm As for SuperTarget, the location on 132nd and West Maple was not only the first SuperTarget in the metro, but the very first one in the nation. It opened in March of 1995.
-
Ryan_Huskers
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:11 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Yeah, I believe that's correct. That SuperTarget technically "replaced" the 90th & Maple store (now Family Fare) even though it wasn't that close.mrsticka wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:42 amIs that when the Target on 90th and Maple closed?omahacacher wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:31 pm As for SuperTarget, the location on 132nd and West Maple was not only the first SuperTarget in the metro, but the very first one in the nation. It opened in March of 1995.
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm
- Location: Bennington
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Wouldn't seem like much today... but I'll never forget when the first Cub Foods opened in Omaha at Miracle Hills (around 1990?). It was the biggest grocery store in Omaha at the time, you walked in to a warehouse style rack with bulk items... I remember it left quite an impression with me when I was greeted by a fork lift putting stuff up on the racks. I can't recall what it turned into after they left?
I also kind of miss Service Merchandise circa 80's (maybe where the tile place is today, southeast of 132nd and West Center?).. the thrill of checking out stuff in their showroom before entering what you wanted into their green screen terminal, then waiting at the conveyor belt for it to come out.
I also kind of miss Service Merchandise circa 80's (maybe where the tile place is today, southeast of 132nd and West Center?).. the thrill of checking out stuff in their showroom before entering what you wanted into their green screen terminal, then waiting at the conveyor belt for it to come out.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
mrsticka
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
- Location: Lincoln
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I remember there being a 1/2 Price Store across the street from Target on 132nd and West Center.
-
NEDodger
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1361
- Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 am
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Sun Mart.Stargazer wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:32 am Wouldn't seem like much today... but I'll never forget when the first Cub Foods opened in Omaha at Miracle Hills (around 1990?). It was the biggest grocery store in Omaha at the time, you walked in to a warehouse style rack with bulk items... I remember it left quite an impression with me when I was greeted by a fork lift putting stuff up on the racks. I can't recall what it turned into after they left?
-
Silverspoon
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
That Service Merchandise was still around til about 1994. Funny thing is they still have their website up and sell through there.Stargazer wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:32 am Wouldn't seem like much today... but I'll never forget when the first Cub Foods opened in Omaha at Miracle Hills (around 1990?). It was the biggest grocery store in Omaha at the time, you walked in to a warehouse style rack with bulk items... I remember it left quite an impression with me when I was greeted by a fork lift putting stuff up on the racks. I can't recall what it turned into after they left?
I also kind of miss Service Merchandise circa 80's (maybe where the tile place is today, southeast of 132nd and West Center?).. the thrill of checking out stuff in their showroom before entering what you wanted into their green screen terminal, then waiting at the conveyor belt for it to come out.
Jim Flowers rules!
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1553
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Cub Foods > Bag n Save > Sunmart. Or Sunmart > Bag n Save.Stargazer wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:32 am Wouldn't seem like much today... but I'll never forget when the first Cub Foods opened in Omaha at Miracle Hills (around 1990?). It was the biggest grocery store in Omaha at the time, you walked in to a warehouse style rack with bulk items... I remember it left quite an impression with me when I was greeted by a fork lift putting stuff up on the racks. I can't recall what it turned into after they left?
I also kind of miss Service Merchandise circa 80's (maybe where the tile place is today, southeast of 132nd and West Center?).. the thrill of checking out stuff in their showroom before entering what you wanted into their green screen terminal, then waiting at the conveyor belt for it to come out.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2147
- Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
- Location: Omaha
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
When I worked at the Mart in the mid to late 90's no one in town had the latest and greatest video game console, which was the Nintendo 64... for some reason, the Service Merchandise store at 72nd and Dodge had a few on hand and I grabbed one from there like 2 days before Christmas.Silverspoon wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:43 pmThat Service Merchandise was still around til about 1994. Funny thing is they still have their website up and sell through there.Stargazer wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:32 am Wouldn't seem like much today... but I'll never forget when the first Cub Foods opened in Omaha at Miracle Hills (around 1990?). It was the biggest grocery store in Omaha at the time, you walked in to a warehouse style rack with bulk items... I remember it left quite an impression with me when I was greeted by a fork lift putting stuff up on the racks. I can't recall what it turned into after they left?
I also kind of miss Service Merchandise circa 80's (maybe where the tile place is today, southeast of 132nd and West Center?).. the thrill of checking out stuff in their showroom before entering what you wanted into their green screen terminal, then waiting at the conveyor belt for it to come out.
IMO, the Target that was on Saddle Creek was the "best" store for me growing up. Walking distance from my house, I spent many summer vacation days browsing video games, music (first records, then tapes, then CDs, LOL) and other items.
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Don't ask me why, but my question for the forum is where was the first Omaha location for Runza? I don't have the answer. Just looking for one.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7335
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
That's a fun question. I don't have much of an answer, but I think I could fairly assume the more urban locations would be older. The farthest east one I knew of was the Park Ave & Farnam location. They are no longer there. So I wonder if they even have a location left in "urban Omaha", other than the 72nd & Pacific location, which is by the skin of it's teeth "urban". Not that I'm much of a Runza guy.guy4omaha wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:04 am Don't ask me why, but my question for the forum is where was the first Omaha location for Runza? I don't have the answer. Just looking for one.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013721
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I don’t know if this was the first, but way back in the early 70’s (1971- I was 9 years old) there was a Runza location at the Bel Air Plaza- 120th and Center St. It’s been long gone, but I remember going there when I was a little kid. Back then they were called “Runza Hut”…guy4omaha wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:04 am Don't ask me why, but my question for the forum is where was the first Omaha location for Runza? I don't have the answer. Just looking for one.
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
guy4omaha
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:06 pm
- Location: The Big O
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Yeah, I remember this one now that you mention it. I had forgotten about it. Of course, there was that WC Franks in Bel Air as well.Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:50 pmI don’t know if this was the first, but way back in the early 70’s (1971- I was 9 years old) there was a Runza location at the Bel Air Plaza- 120th and Center St. It’s been long gone, but I remember going there when I was a little kid. Back then they were called “Runza Hut”…guy4omaha wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:04 am Don't ask me why, but my question for the forum is where was the first Omaha location for Runza? I don't have the answer. Just looking for one.
Ciao..LiO…Peace
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
-
mrsticka
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
- Location: Lincoln
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
I didn't go to K Mart as much as I did Target. But when I did, I'd go to the one on 120th and West Center. I think I went to the one on 144th and Millard Avenue once.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 9006
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:46 pm
Re: Original Omaha Locations?
Would you consider 50th and Center urban? They've been there for 40 or more years. The building got replaced but they've been there since late 70's or very early 80's.Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:36 amThat's a fun question. I don't have much of an answer, but I think I could fairly assume the more urban locations would be older. The farthest east one I knew of was the Park Ave & Farnam location. They are no longer there. So I wonder if they even have a location left in "urban Omaha", other than the 72nd & Pacific location, which is by the skin of it's teeth "urban". Not that I'm much of a Runza guy.guy4omaha wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:04 am Don't ask me why, but my question for the forum is where was the first Omaha location for Runza? I don't have the answer. Just looking for one.
Greg