New Bike Trail
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: New Bike Trail
There is an accompanying video segment somewhere.
KETV: Keep Omaha Beautiful plants 183 trees for Arbor Day
KETV: Keep Omaha Beautiful plants 183 trees for Arbor Day
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: New Bike Trail
[youtube]
[/youtube]
[/youtube]
-
Taco
- Human Relations
- Posts: 514
- Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am
Re: New Bike Trail
They have finally begun work on the connector from the Field club trail up Pacific to 36th. This 4 block segment is not entirely needed and has taken forever, so I guess I am excited now they will move on to more important areas. Connectivity from North downtown to Carter lake is a must, as is the trail connection from Big Papio to Tranquility, which I am now not expecting until 2023.
In other news, the Beltline trail idea in North O is progressing slowly but surely. The landbank owns a large portion of this land and is requiring its developers to set aside an easement for the trail.
In other news, the Beltline trail idea in North O is progressing slowly but surely. The landbank owns a large portion of this land and is requiring its developers to set aside an easement for the trail.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: New Bike Trail
I personally am really anticipating that Keystone trail extension to Cunningham Lake, as well as Cunningham lake reopening. But I'm sure that trail is at least 5 years down the... Trail...
-
Taco
- Human Relations
- Posts: 514
- Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am
Re: New Bike Trail
This connection will be huge as well. The renovation of Cunningham going on right now is a good sign, but the connector is still a ways off in the distance. Given how slow the parks department works I think at least 5 yrs (and likely 5 more) is accurate.Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:01 pm I personally am really anticipating that Keystone trail extension to Cunningham Lake, as well as Cunningham lake reopening. But I'm sure that trail is at least 5 years down the... Trail...
-
Uffda
- County Board
- Posts: 4621
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
- Location: Land o Lakes, FL
Re: New Bike Trail
Having lived north of Sorensen & 78th for 16 years, I kept waiting for the connection to Keystone at Fort. The park along Wenninghoff had part of it from Read St. north to a Craig. Then a couple of years ago, they added sidewalk from Sorensen south to Vernon Ave. But very little to Blair High Rd and nothing from Blair High to Fort.Taco wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:37 pmThis connection will be huge as well. The renovation of Cunningham going on right now is a good sign, but the connector is still a ways off in the distance. Given how slow the parks department works I think at least 5 yrs (and likely 5 more) is accurate.Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:01 pm I personally am really anticipating that Keystone trail extension to Cunningham Lake, as well as Cunningham lake reopening. But I'm sure that trail is at least 5 years down the... Trail...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Jimmy Buffett
Jimmy Buffett
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: New Bike Trail
Keystone Trail Overview - Omaha, Nebraska
Overview of the Keystone Trail in Omaha, Nebraska. Filmed with GoPro Hero 10 Black
Overview of the Keystone Trail in Omaha, Nebraska. Filmed with GoPro Hero 10 Black
-
Dundeemaha
- Human Relations
- Posts: 597
- Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
- Location: Country Club
Re: New Bike Trail
As someone who occasionally runs and bikes on this part of the Keystone Trail, this was a very accurate summary.
- Basic, virtually no amenities
- No shade
- Mostly bikers and walkers.
- Dog owners who don't pay attention to their dogs
- Aggressive geese.
- Basic, virtually no amenities
- No shade
- Mostly bikers and walkers.
- Dog owners who don't pay attention to their dogs
- Aggressive geese.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: New Bike Trail
The lack of shade on that trail is wild. Might as well be on a gravel road in the country.Dundeemaha wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:51 pm As someone who occasionally runs and bikes on this part of the Keystone Trail, this was a very accurate summary.
- Basic, virtually no amenities
- No shade
- Mostly bikers and walkers.
- Dog owners who don't pay attention to their dogs
- Aggressive geese.
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: New Bike Trail
One of the reasons I love the Wabash. So great to ride in the summer! Terrible in February though, when it has snow and mud.Louie wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:47 amThe lack of shade on that trail is wild. Might as well be on a gravel road in the country.Dundeemaha wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:51 pm As someone who occasionally runs and bikes on this part of the Keystone Trail, this was a very accurate summary.
- Basic, virtually no amenities
- No shade
- Mostly bikers and walkers.
- Dog owners who don't pay attention to their dogs
- Aggressive geese.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: New Bike Trail
I loled. I was literally on 67th near the keystone trail by Aksarben village just last night when I drove up to some strange obstruction in the road, and as I got closer, I came to realize it was those dam geese! They are so intimidating. Every time I bike on the trail and I see a pack of them, it's like being a kid and seeing your bully turn the corner and walk toward you. It's so funny how they can strike such a fear in you when in reality you can punt one into oblivion. I always want to do it.Dundeemaha wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:51 pm As someone who occasionally runs and bikes on this part of the Keystone Trail, this was a very accurate summary.
- Basic, virtually no amenities
- No shade
- Mostly bikers and walkers.
- Dog owners who don't pay attention to their dogs
- Aggressive geese.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: New Bike Trail
It's a good thing he went North from Aksarben. That stretch is much nicer as far as scenery and curviness goes. I always like seeing the horses toward the north end and there is so much more to look at. You get more of a homey feeling on that part... And I think there's a water fountain around the Hillside ballfields. And aren't there mostly portapotties and some place to take a drink at the various parks along it?Louie wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:47 amThe lack of shade on that trail is wild. Might as well be on a gravel road in the country.Dundeemaha wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:51 pm As someone who occasionally runs and bikes on this part of the Keystone Trail, this was a very accurate summary.
- Basic, virtually no amenities
- No shade
- Mostly bikers and walkers.
- Dog owners who don't pay attention to their dogs
- Aggressive geese.
But going south is just brutal. You get south of L street and it is nothing but straight, wide open and brutal sun. I've never been further south than Aspen park just south of Harrison. And I never knew where the southern terminus was until today. I took a quick look, and it turns out to be Haworth park. That's funny cause I've spent a lot of time at that park, and I never knew it.
I wonder if anybody has a time lapse video of it from start to finish... I'd watch it. That would be one helluva bike ride. I can never go farther south than Aspen park. I run out of juice, and I tell ya, forgetting that you have to go the same distance back is a big mistake.
-
JDJase
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 201
- Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 10:43 pm
- Location: Downtown Omaha
Re: New Bike Trail
Yeah the south trail is horrible. Whenever I start at Aksarben and run south I end up splitting off at Karen Park and running the South Omaha trail instead. Tree covered and (for most of it) quiet; only annoyance is having to cross 50th street.Busguy2010 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:54 am But going south is just brutal. You get south of L street and it is nothing but straight, wide open and brutal sun. I've never been further south than Aspen park just south of Harrison. And I never knew where the southern terminus was until today. I took a quick look, and it turns out to be Haworth park. That's funny cause I've spent a lot of time at that park, and I never knew it.
-
omaha79
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1635
- Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
Re: New Bike Trail
I live on Fairview rd. I'm very familiar with the Southern trail. It is brutal, but you at least have options coming from the South to go West on the West Papio, or face the gauntlet that is the area between Twin Creek and Q ST. It is the most boring, monotonous stretch known to man. And, if it's hot or Windy, it's even worse.JDJase wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:09 pmYeah the south trail is horrible. Whenever I start at Aksarben and run south I end up splitting off at Karen Park and running the South Omaha trail instead. Tree covered and (for most of it) quiet; only annoyance is having to cross 50th street.Busguy2010 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:54 am But going south is just brutal. You get south of L street and it is nothing but straight, wide open and brutal sun. I've never been further south than Aspen park just south of Harrison. And I never knew where the southern terminus was until today. I took a quick look, and it turns out to be Haworth park. That's funny cause I've spent a lot of time at that park, and I never knew it.
The terminus is Hayworth, but right now, it's not even technically open that I know of. I haven't taken it past Capehart in a while, but the area South of Capehart once you go under Kennedy is no longer paved after the 2019 floods. I thought it would be repaved this year, but as far as I can see through Ft. Crook, it's still dirt. I guess it may be technically open, but I don't want that dusty ride.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: New Bike Trail
Maybe I'm the weird one here, but back in my running days I did some long training runs on the Keystone from 90th & Maple to the parking lot on Harlan Lewis road south of Bellevue. I actually didn't mind the part between Q St. & Twin Creek because it was so bleak. Could really just zone out vs watching out for geese, people, curves/route on the trail, etc.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: New Bike Trail
Holy sh1t, forget that. I have never even ridden a bike that far. Of course, I'm just an average Joe, and I'll never have a reason to push myself like that. I just go on a bike ride every now and then for leisure when I feel like it. Farthest I've ever gone is from the Volcano Park up by Fort, down to Aspen Park. That was the farthest I ever went. Of course, I did decide to play a round of disc golf at Aspen, and then another at Seymour Smith while I was down there, but that was the easy part. I suppose I could have gone quite a bit farther south, but it got boring, and unbearable from the wind and sun. Going back was the hard part. I took it very easy though, and shoot, I was gone from about noon to 8pm. I'd be surprised if I ever go further, though I feel a little motivated from time to time.almighty_tuna wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:08 pm Maybe I'm the weird one here, but back in my running days I did some long training runs on the Keystone from 90th & Maple to the parking lot on Harlan Lewis road south of Bellevue. I actually didn't mind the part between Q St. & Twin Creek because it was so bleak. Could really just zone out vs watching out for geese, people, curves/route on the trail, etc.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
-
Athomsfere
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Re: New Bike Trail
I've done it from 114th and Dodge to Bellevue and back. I could probably do the whole thing and time lapse it on my gorpo... The problem of course is that the Wabash or Mopac to lincon is more fun to me. But maybe some muddy day I'll try and remember that.Busguy2010 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:54 am
It's a good thing he went North from Aksarben. That stretch is much nicer as far as scenery and curviness goes. I always like seeing the horses toward the north end and there is so much more to look at. You get more of a homey feeling on that part... And I think there's a water fountain around the Hillside ballfields. And aren't there mostly portapotties and some place to take a drink at the various parks along it?
But going south is just brutal. You get south of L street and it is nothing but straight, wide open and brutal sun. I've never been further south than Aspen park just south of Harrison. And I never knew where the southern terminus was until today. I took a quick look, and it turns out to be Haworth park. That's funny cause I've spent a lot of time at that park, and I never knew it.
I wonder if anybody has a time lapse video of it from start to finish... I'd watch it. That would be one helluva bike ride. I can never go farther south than Aspen park. I run out of juice, and I tell ya, forgetting that you have to go the same distance back is a big mistake.
-
omaha79
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1635
- Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
Re: New Bike Trail
The most I've ridden is to the end of any of the trails (90th and Fort, 120th and Maple, or 168th and Maple) down to Fairview in Bellevue. They are around 40 mile rides. My top end is around 50. But, I had a 60 year old coworker who would do multiple century rides a week. crazy.Athomsfere wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:37 amI've done it from 114th and Dodge to Bellevue and back. I could probably do the whole thing and time lapse it on my gorpo... The problem of course is that the Wabash or Mopac to lincon is more fun to me. But maybe some muddy day I'll try and remember that.Busguy2010 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:54 am
It's a good thing he went North from Aksarben. That stretch is much nicer as far as scenery and curviness goes. I always like seeing the horses toward the north end and there is so much more to look at. You get more of a homey feeling on that part... And I think there's a water fountain around the Hillside ballfields. And aren't there mostly portapotties and some place to take a drink at the various parks along it?
But going south is just brutal. You get south of L street and it is nothing but straight, wide open and brutal sun. I've never been further south than Aspen park just south of Harrison. And I never knew where the southern terminus was until today. I took a quick look, and it turns out to be Haworth park. That's funny cause I've spent a lot of time at that park, and I never knew it.
I wonder if anybody has a time lapse video of it from start to finish... I'd watch it. That would be one helluva bike ride. I can never go farther south than Aspen park. I run out of juice, and I tell ya, forgetting that you have to go the same distance back is a big mistake.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: New Bike Trail
Connecting Communities:
MoPac Trail could soon be expanded
CASS COUNTY, Neb. (KMTV) — A possible trail expansion for neighbors in Cass County could be on the horizon. There's a gap of over eight miles between Wabash and South Bend. But, that gap could be filled by an expanded MoPac Trail. Biker and nearby resident, Marie Gregoire, said she's excited for a breath of fresh air to her neighborhood. "It really attracts healthy people to our community and we are going to have population growth," Gregoire said. "Therefore, let's try to make it a positive growth."
The current MoPac Trail runs from Elmwood to Wabash. But the problem she and other neighbors face, it ends in Wabash. The state legislature appropriated over $8 million to the county for the trail. The expansion is in collaboration with Cass County and the Lower Platte South Natural Resources District.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: New Bike Trail
Rural county declines to vote on path for long-sought hike-bike trail
Uncertainty surrounds discussion of whether route can be chosen after commissioners voice more complaints
https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2025/05/06 ... ike-trail/
Uncertainty surrounds discussion of whether route can be chosen after commissioners voice more complaints
https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2025/05/06 ... ike-trail/
FFS. As someone who has ridden this 10mi stretch it would sure be nice not having to constantly keep an eye over my shoulder on some of those blind hills just waiting to get a car up my back tire. Flying corn stalks. Unreal.Nebraska Examiner wrote: On Tuesday, the Cass County Board failed to vote on a preferred route for the trail, reversing course from last fall when the five-member board — with a slightly different makeup — voted 3-2 to approve an interlocal agreement with trail developers.
That agreement included affirmation of a 10-mile route recommended after a year’s worth of public meetings, a route that paralleled mostly sparsely traveled gravel roads between the end of the Mo-Pac Trail at Wabash and the end of a trail just south of the Platte River near South Bend.
......
Commissioner Duane Murdoch, who voted “no” on the interlocal agreement in November, also voiced concerns about who would be liable if a bicyclist had an accident on the trail due to ruts from heavy equipment crossing it or from flying corn stalks from nearby harvesting equipment.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003376
- Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: New Bike Trail
The September Planning Board agenda items are out now and one I'm excited about is a new subdivision south of 165th & Maple.
With it, there's plans to extend the West Papio Trail north from its current dead-end in a field to Bedford Ave. It's not a long extension, but it finally gets this further after not seeing any plans anytime soon from the city to extend it.
I walk this trail a fair amount in the summer and have always hated how it just ended without any kind of connection to anything. I would love to see it connect up to the portion north of Maple because that goes all the way to Flanagan Lake. But it looks like it might not have the room to run under the current West Maple bridges, which may be why there are no plans any time soon. At least this will now terminate somewhere to where you can continue going another way instead of turning back.
With it, there's plans to extend the West Papio Trail north from its current dead-end in a field to Bedford Ave. It's not a long extension, but it finally gets this further after not seeing any plans anytime soon from the city to extend it.
I walk this trail a fair amount in the summer and have always hated how it just ended without any kind of connection to anything. I would love to see it connect up to the portion north of Maple because that goes all the way to Flanagan Lake. But it looks like it might not have the room to run under the current West Maple bridges, which may be why there are no plans any time soon. At least this will now terminate somewhere to where you can continue going another way instead of turning back.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: New Bike Trail
That would definitely be an improvement on the current situation. Nice find.