Omaha attractions I miss...

General discussion on all things Omaha.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by djc311 »

Perhaps it's what some would consider a mid-life crisis, although I'd argue it's certainly not the "typical" type. However, I'm now 47 and was born/raised here in Omaha and for whatever reason I've had a lot of recent memories and thoughts of places or brands that are no longer around that I wish could come back in some form.

If some of you recall I had posted about that "Retromaha" site that sells the tshirts and other vintage type memorabilia.

So here's my list, not necessarily in any particular order of favorites... if i had a billion $$$ I'd certainly try to bring back a few for sure (those I note with $$$ are the ones I'd really like to see again 😁):
  • WC Frank (multiple Omaha locations, would need to have an arcade of some sort... the video game sounds made that place even better) $$
  • Flaky Jakes (72nd and Dodge, loved their burgers, know it was a chain but was still a cool place)
  • Pefferonis Pizza (50th and Dodge/Dundee, my first real job, was only 13 when I started and ended up getting let go on my 14th bday because the manager got busted for hiring my friend and I, working us until close during the school year) $
  • Leggoons (sold at retailers such as Younkers, had the awesome board shorts, yes, definitely an 80's style)
  • Moby Dick Waterslides (South 80th-ish and the interstate) $$
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by bigredmed1 »

Pfefferonis had great food and made a convenient date night in med school.

WC Frank was too much a kids thing.

The landmarks I miss are:

Virginia Cafe in downtown.
Tropics Bar on Saddle Creek
There was a very high end Vietnamese restaurant in the Old Market whose name eludes me that had stunning Vietnamese egg rolls.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by djc311 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:21 pm Pfefferonis had great food and made a convenient date night in med school.

WC Frank was too much a kids thing.

The landmarks I miss are:

Virginia Cafe in downtown.
Tropics Bar on Saddle Creek
There was a very high end Vietnamese restaurant in the Old Market whose name eludes me that had stunning Vietnamese egg rolls.
Tropics - my family would walk there from 43rd and Chicago where we lived. If I was lucky my dad would stop at Goodrich on our way back home.

Loved the footlongs at Tropics - I also remember they had a front projection big screen that was up on a shelf... thing looked like it was the size of a van, LOL.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by Greg S »

I loved WC Franks. At one point it seemed like most neighborhoods had one. We could walk to the one on 72nd near Howard. Their hot dogs were actually good. I usually got the regular or foot long with chili and cheese but also liked their polish dog too. The game area was fun. Really wish one or two in Omaha had survived.

I also miss Goodrich a ton. That's where we got a bunch of our dairy and orange from. Probably why I like Braum's so much when we travel south.


Greg
User avatar
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by bigredmed1 »

djc311 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:41 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:21 pm Pfefferonis had great food and made a convenient date night in med school.

WC Frank was too much a kids thing.

The landmarks I miss are:

Virginia Cafe in downtown.
Tropics Bar on Saddle Creek
There was a very high end Vietnamese restaurant in the Old Market whose name eludes me that had stunning Vietnamese egg rolls.
Tropics - my family would walk there from 43rd and Chicago where we lived. If I was lucky my dad would stop at Goodrich on our way back home.

Loved the footlongs at Tropics - I also remember they had a front projection big screen that was up on a shelf... thing looked like it was the size of a van, LOL.
For me, the Tropic Burger and fries. Amazing flavor. Fries have been found at the Rusty Nail that are at least pretty close to the Tropics.

Goodrich malts were the bomb
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

There is one Goodrich location still open.. In the 108th and Maple area..Cottonwood LN I think…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110960
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:24 pm There is one Goodrich location still open.. In the 108th and Maple area..Cottonwood LN I think…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Goodrich is not Goodrich anymore. Don't remember who but someone else makes the ice cream now.

Aren't there still more than one tied in with Subway's in the area?
For the record Ā NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER Ā  Ā !!!!!!!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:31 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:24 pm There is one Goodrich location still open.. In the 108th and Maple area..Cottonwood LN I think…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Goodrich is not Goodrich anymore. Don't remember who but someone else makes the ice cream now.

Aren't there still more than one tied in with Subway's in the area?
There used to a Goodrich (tied with a Subway) near 96th and Q, but I don’t know that is still there anymore.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:55 pm
nebugeater wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:31 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:24 pm There is one Goodrich location still open.. In the 108th and Maple area..Cottonwood LN I think…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Goodrich is not Goodrich anymore. Don't remember who but someone else makes the ice cream now.

Aren't there still more than one tied in with Subway's in the area?
There used to a Goodrich (tied with a Subway) near 96th and Q, but I don’t know that is still there anymore.
I don’t think that’s open anymore. I knew about the Goodrich over on 108th and Cottonwood LN, but have never been there. Didn’t realize it was a different company making the ice cream…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110960
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:54 pm
Coyote wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:55 pm
nebugeater wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:31 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:24 pm There is one Goodrich location still open.. In the 108th and Maple area..Cottonwood LN I think…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Goodrich is not Goodrich anymore. Don't remember who but someone else makes the ice cream now.

Aren't there still more than one tied in with Subway's in the area?
There used to a Goodrich (tied with a Subway) near 96th and Q, but I don’t know that is still there anymore.
I don’t think that’s open anymore. I knew about the Goodrich over on 108th and Cottonwood LN, but have never been there. Didn’t realize it was a different company making the ice cream…

Ciao..LiO…Peace

According to this the name is now owned by Kemps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemps_(company)
For the record Ā NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER Ā  Ā !!!!!!!
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by djc311 »

People are right... Goodrich today is NOT what Goodrich was before.

I think the Subway on 108th and L has a "Goodrich" ice cream counter inside, as does the Subway on 180th & Center that's behind Burger King. Last time I went into that Subway only one guy was working on a Saturday at lunch time and he seemed to be bothered by us coming into the store to order sandwiches. I wouldn't order a malt from that place unless it was the last thing on the menu as I'm sure they wouldn't want to be put out scooping ice cream, pouring milk, adding malt mix and then running the malt machine.

Ironically I did try a Goodrich "malt" in the ice cream aisle at HyVee - it wasn't awful, but definitely not the same as an old school Goodrich store malt. Heck I like malts so much I ended up buying a 3-head malt machine off of eBay years ago. Now I'm the "malt guy" at all family events we host.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

According to the link nebugeater provided, Goodrich hasn’t been Goodrich since 1999- 23 years..

This certainly isn’t a recent happenstance…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110960
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:29 am According to the link nebugeater provided, Goodrich hasn’t been Goodrich since 1999- 23 years..

This certainly isn’t a recent happenstance…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
I think that they acquired Goodrich in 1999 and operated it as a stand-along for a while. Maybe 10 years. At some point, they folded it into Kemps and it is just another product. I could not find anything to back this up but pretty sure on the sequence of events.
For the record Ā NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER Ā  Ā !!!!!!!
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Omaha attractions I miss...

Post by almighty_tuna »

Goodrich had the *best* egg nog back in the day!