Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Busguy2010 »

Wonder if there being a streetcar station on that corner in the future will help. Not as much in the development way, but more of an actual bringing more people in way. I'd have to think that will be just the shot in the arm this place could use.
buildomaha
Human Relations
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by buildomaha »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:51 pm Wonder if there being a streetcar station on that corner in the future will help. Not as much in the development way, but more of an actual bringing more people in way. I'd have to think that will be just the shot in the arm this place could use.
This is definitely something to consider. I foresee capitol being less of a town square (like P&L) and more of a destination with the right tenants.
#gohawks
legato9
Home Owners Association
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by legato9 »

I think when people here say “Power and Light District,” they’re referring to Kansas City Live (an open area in P&L that’s conceptually similar to the Capital District, but with dramatically better execution).

I discovered KC Live while just noodling around P&L on a Friday night. It has two huge open entrances on either side. As I was walking by, I saw a band that used to be pretty big (Fuel, maybe?) playing on a stage in the courtyard.

Turned out the show was free, so me and my buddy walked right in.

So for starters, KC Live is hugely visible from the street.

Second, or has really cool, funky and eclectic architecture. Steel, brick, stone, aluminum, etc. but it isn’t just thrown together. The combination works. Particularly the steel trellises above the courtyard.

Then there are really good signs all around (including big neon ones, wood ones, etc.)

On the whole, the place is super vibey.

Capital District, on the other hand, looks like a 90’s suburban strip mall.

Somebody above described it as looking like it was designed by someone who heard about KC Live, but never actually saw it. I think that’s a great description.

If Capital District wants any prayer of replicating 50% of the cool of KC Live, I think they’ll need a proper architect, maybe a wrecking ball, and some real money.

I hope they do it. It seems like the location could have great potential. They just don’t seem to have had someone involved who knew how to pull off what they were going for.
User avatar
mcarch
Library Board
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:44 pm
Location: Elkhorn

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by mcarch »

legato9 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:53 pm I think when people here say “Power and Light District,” they’re referring to Kansas City Live (an open area in P&L that’s conceptually similar to the Capital District, but with dramatically better execution).

I discovered KC Live while just noodling around P&L on a Friday night. It has two huge open entrances on either side. As I was walking by, I saw a band that used to be pretty big (Fuel, maybe?) playing on a stage in the courtyard.

Turned out the show was free, so me and my buddy walked right in.

So for starters, KC Live is hugely visible from the street.

Second, or has really cool, funky and eclectic architecture. Steel, brick, stone, aluminum, etc. but it isn’t just thrown together. The combination works. Particularly the steel trellises above the courtyard.

Then there are really good signs all around (including big neon ones, wood ones, etc.)

On the whole, the place is super vibey.

Capital District, on the other hand, looks like a 90’s suburban strip mall.

Somebody above described it as looking like it was designed by someone who heard about KC Live, but never actually saw it. I think that’s a great description.

If Capital District wants any prayer of replicating 50% of the cool of KC Live, I think they’ll need a proper architect, maybe a wrecking ball, and some real money.

I hope they do it. It seems like the location could have great potential. They just don’t seem to have had someone involved who knew how to pull off what they were going for.
That was me! When I refer to Power & Light I not only refer to KC Live, I also refer to the areas adjacent to that building. Retail on first floor/restaurants/clothing, then offices on 2nd/3rd. Apartments, condos, all mixed.

If we did a Power & Light District it NEEDS to be next to the Convention Center in LOT B. Period. The Civic Site is too far away. You'd be adding another district that would have the same issues as connecting our current districts (where we have groups trying to solve the issue to connect them - Omaha by Design, for example, plus others). Sometimes Omaha needs to stop reinventing locations and follow what works, especially when our landmarks overlay with KC's Landmarks Perfectly.

Sprint Center = our CHI Health.
Power & Light = Lot B
Lightrail/Street Car Enabled - Yes!

Where should a Power & Light District go if we built one to make it successful? Gee, I dunno... I guess lets put it as far away from the Streetcar as possible and away from foot traffic, that sounds like a good idea!

Sorry for my sarcastic tangent, but that seems to be our leaders thought process, 95% of the time.
mcarch
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Athomsfere »

mcarch wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:24 pm
legato9 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:53 pm I think when people here say “Power and Light District,” they’re referring to Kansas City Live (an open area in P&L that’s conceptually similar to the Capital District, but with dramatically better execution).

I discovered KC Live while just noodling around P&L on a Friday night. It has two huge open entrances on either side. As I was walking by, I saw a band that used to be pretty big (Fuel, maybe?) playing on a stage in the courtyard.

Turned out the show was free, so me and my buddy walked right in.

So for starters, KC Live is hugely visible from the street.

Second, or has really cool, funky and eclectic architecture. Steel, brick, stone, aluminum, etc. but it isn’t just thrown together. The combination works. Particularly the steel trellises above the courtyard.

Then there are really good signs all around (including big neon ones, wood ones, etc.)

On the whole, the place is super vibey.

Capital District, on the other hand, looks like a 90’s suburban strip mall.

Somebody above described it as looking like it was designed by someone who heard about KC Live, but never actually saw it. I think that’s a great description.

If Capital District wants any prayer of replicating 50% of the cool of KC Live, I think they’ll need a proper architect, maybe a wrecking ball, and some real money.

I hope they do it. It seems like the location could have great potential. They just don’t seem to have had someone involved who knew how to pull off what they were going for.
That was me! When I refer to Power & Light I not only refer to KC Live, I also refer to the areas adjacent to that building. Retail on first floor/restaurants/clothing, then offices on 2nd/3rd. Apartments, condos, all mixed.

If we did a Power & Light District it NEEDS to be next to the Convention Center in LOT B. Period. The Civic Site is too far away. You'd be adding another district that would have the same issues as connecting our current districts (where we have groups trying to solve the issue to connect them - Omaha by Design, for example, plus others). Sometimes Omaha needs to stop reinventing locations and follow what works, especially when our landmarks overlay with KC's Landmarks Perfectly.

Sprint Center = our CHI Health.
Power & Light = Lot B
Lightrail/Street Car Enabled - Yes!

Where should a Power & Light District go if we built one to make it successful? Gee, I dunno... I guess lets put it as far away from the Streetcar as possible and away from foot traffic, that sounds like a good idea!

Sorry for my sarcastic tangent, but that seems to be our leaders thought process, 95% of the time.
I usually look at KC and see it as probably not the right move. KC is a low density, sprawling mess and I hate it.

I can't see a two block walk as problem, especially down 10th street there. It's a nice stretch of road. Adding something on lot B would be great. Especially if we got rid of 480 there, or found some other nice integration and could maybe even expand the "public square" of the Capital District, put some more trees around there... Build you know, an actual town square. Look to places like Germany, the Netherlands, France etc. for town squares.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by almighty_tuna »

Athomsfere wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:29 am I can't see a two block walk as problem, especially down 10th street there. It's a nice stretch of road. Adding something on lot B would be great. Especially if we got rid of 480 there, or found some other nice integration and could maybe even expand the "public square" of the Capital District, put some more trees around there... Build you know, an actual town square. Look to places like Germany, the Netherlands, France etc. for town squares.
Idk, I think the Gene Leahy Mall serves as a pretty compelling town square, and it's just a two block walk from the Capital District. We don't need to recreate Alexanderplatz on Lot B.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Athomsfere »

almighty_tuna wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:37 am
Athomsfere wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:29 am I can't see a two block walk as problem, especially down 10th street there. It's a nice stretch of road. Adding something on lot B would be great. Especially if we got rid of 480 there, or found some other nice integration and could maybe even expand the "public square" of the Capital District, put some more trees around there... Build you know, an actual town square. Look to places like Germany, the Netherlands, France etc. for town squares.
Idk, I think the Gene Leahy Mall serves as a pretty compelling town square, and it's just a two block walk from the Capital District. We don't need to recreate Alexanderplatz on Lot B.
LOL, yes. I mean a more typical town square. And the Gene Leahy Mall is not bad. But a lot squares also have a park nearby.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by ita »

Per Grow Omaha, Texas de Brazil and Grow Omaha are supposed to open by year's end; over under that one or both don't?
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by BIGO88 »

The Texas de Brazil is a weird one...I looked in there a few days ago and it looks like they could open within the next month or two as they have all the tables/chairs and the bar looked to be completed but no sign up or nothing on there website saying location coming soon or anything. I think it will help the district feel a lot less empty when it does open. They havent even started on the Let it Fly space so I dont see that one opening up before the end of the year.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8990
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Greg S »

BIGO88 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:25 am The Texas de Brazil is a weird one...I looked in there a few days ago and it looks like they could open within the next month or two as they have all the tables/chairs and the bar looked to be completed but no sign up or nothing on there website saying location coming soon or anything. I think it will help the district feel a lot less empty when it does open. They havent even started on the Let it Fly space so I dont see that one opening up before the end of the year.
You would think they would at the latest want to get Let It Fly open for the start or Creighton basketball season.

Does the Capital District still do watch parties for NU football games?

Greg
swgiust
Library Board
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by swgiust »

Texas de Brazil has requested a hearing for a liquor license.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by ita »

BIGO88 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:25 am The Texas de Brazil is a weird one...I looked in there a few days ago and it looks like they could open within the next month or two as they have all the tables/chairs and the bar looked to be completed but no sign up or nothing on there website saying location coming soon or anything.
The MBJ reported that this should open in the Fall. So November?
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by nativeomahan »

Yeah other than a bar the space looks untouched since the building was constructed. Odd.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by ita »

I actually spent some time here last Friday. Was at Annie's in the afternoon, from 3-5 PM. Aside from the bars being full because of the event, the district was largely dead. It's so weird. Doesn't help that there are no employers or other commercial or services aside from restaurants and bars. I think I had read in the MBJ that the property managers want more service oriented tenants to help elevate the 'live, work, play' experience. Hopefully they are successful in doing that. Still bummed that Capitol Place retail is unoccupied as well. When do rent structures come into consideration when space has been vacant for so long?
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by NEDodger »

Officially announced on their Facebook:

Image
yman97
Home Owners Association
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:38 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by yman97 »

I saw the sign when I walked by today!
Image
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by ita »

Nice, good to see some updates for Texas de Brazil! It should be a popular addition to the Capitol District.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

yman97 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:08 pm I saw the sign when I walked by today!
Image
Alright! And about time :thumb: …

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NEDodger wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:32 pm Officially announced on their Facebook:

Image
Good to know- Trenton on Grow Omaha was right on several weeks back when he stated they’ll be opening later this Fall :thumb: …

Ciao..LiO..lPeace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by skinzfan23 »

Capitol District Developments: Brazilian Steak, Burgers, and Brunch

According to this article Let It Fly is planning an opening between March and June 2023.
Let it Fly also doubles as a game room, as both its Germantown and Sioux Falls locations have unique “play” features. Whether you’re looking for green tea shots, trivia, live music, or games, this sports bar will be an entertainment palace. According to Boh Kurylo of The Lerner Company, Let it Fly is moving into the 9,500-square-foot bay on the East end of the plaza, neighboring The Jewell and the Society 1854.

This location will be unique as it will feature a state-of-the-art video wall 10’ x 48’. It will be like no other place in town to watch Creighton win! This new space will also have a high-tech podcast booth where podcast hosts can bring local celebrities on their shows.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4333
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by thenewguy »

I was talking with someone yesterday who's brother in law owns a few putt-putt places here in Omaha. He said that his brother in law secured the bays adjacent to Addy's on 10th & Capitol. Said he is partnering with Addy's to provide food & drink while people play. It's gonna have a more urban feel (will have an actual bus inside, lights, etc). Looking to be done around March of next year.
Go Cubs Go
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by ita »

thenewguy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:09 am I was talking with someone yesterday who's brother in law owns a few putt-putt places here in Omaha. He said that his brother in law secured the bays adjacent to Addy's on 10th & Capitol. Said he is partnering with Addy's to provide food & drink while people play. It's gonna have a more urban feel (will have an actual bus inside, lights, etc). Looking to be done around March of next year.
So, it will be in the Capitol Place building? They are going to kill it with it being a stone's throw from GLM. We always need more entertainment options downtown.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Louie »

Like this a bit: https://www.urbanputt.com/location/denver/

I've been and it was a pretty good time.
swgiust
Library Board
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by swgiust »

Ugh, ANOTHER sports bar. I was really hoping the space next to Adys would have been a middle to high end restaurant. Something along the lines of Pitch would kill it in that space.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Louie »

swgiust wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:13 am Ugh, ANOTHER sports bar. I was really hoping the space next to Adys would have been a middle to high end restaurant. Something along the lines of Pitch would kill it in that space.
At least it offers an activity besides eating and drinking.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4333
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by thenewguy »

Louie wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:52 am
swgiust wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:13 am Ugh, ANOTHER sports bar. I was really hoping the space next to Adys would have been a middle to high end restaurant. Something along the lines of Pitch would kill it in that space.
At least it offers an activity besides eating and drinking.
Yes, I agree. The owners of the building apparently had several different pitches, of which some were restaurants. From what was described to me, it's going to be bright and active from a visual perspective. The big windows will really allow for people to see inside and it will draw people in. Plus, it is good to have other options besides just eat or drink only
Go Cubs Go
OracleOfOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:16 pm

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by OracleOfOmaha »

Louie wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:44 am Like this a bit: https://www.urbanputt.com/location/denver/

I've been and it was a pretty good time.
It's crazy how busy that place is, and in not the most frequented area of downtown Denver.

Should be very successful down in that location.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by nativeomahan »

Texas de Brazil opens October 10, according to their Instagram posting.
digijohn
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:12 am

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by digijohn »

It's official, I went in and had dinner the other night, Texas de Brazil is open in Omaha, would you all try it out? Curious what you thought. It was as if the servers were just putting more and more meat on my plate, I could hardly keep up. so delicious though.
Image
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by Doctor Fate »

Deloitte is moving its Omaha offices to the Capitol District from One First National Center.

Deloitte moving Omaha office to Capitol District
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by Louie »

Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:53 pm Deloitte is moving its Omaha offices to the Capitol District from One First National Center.

Deloitte moving Omaha office to Capitol District
Wonder how much space they have at One First National.
Doctor Fate
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: DC Metro

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by Doctor Fate »

Louie wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:09 pm
Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:53 pm Deloitte is moving its Omaha offices to the Capitol District from One First National Center.

Deloitte moving Omaha office to Capitol District
Wonder how much space they have at One First National.
The Grow Omaha Newsletter said they leased 10,000 sq ft on the 3rd floor of the Capitol District, so I would assume they had something similar or maybe a little smaller at One First National.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by ita »

Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:50 pm
Louie wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:09 pm
Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:53 pm Deloitte is moving its Omaha offices to the Capitol District from One First National Center.

Deloitte moving Omaha office to Capitol District
Wonder how much space they have at One First National.
The Grow Omaha Newsletter said they leased 10,000 sq ft on the 3rd floor of the Capitol District, so I would assume they had something similar or maybe a little smaller at One First National.
I am happy they are staying downtown. Glad to see the Capitol District office space occupied.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:50 pm
Louie wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:09 pm
Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:53 pm Deloitte is moving its Omaha offices to the Capitol District from One First National Center.

Deloitte moving Omaha office to Capitol District
Wonder how much space they have at One First National.
The Grow Omaha Newsletter said they leased 10,000 sq ft on the 3rd floor of the Capitol District, so I would assume they had something similar or maybe a little smaller at One First National.
Good news for downtown and especially good news for the Capitol District…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by Cermak »

Should help the Capitol District with additional foot traffic. Glad to see this happening.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by Coyote »


Omaha’s Capitol District lands first major office tenant and a 350-seat sports-centric restaurant
Real estate experts see promise for downtown office market of Nebraska’s largest city

Nebraska Examiner, Cindy Gonzales wrote:OMAHA — Two years after construction wrapped up, the downtown Capitol District’s three-story mixed-use building is welcoming its first major office tenant. Deloitte, an international audit and consulting firm, in mid-December will relocate its Omaha workforce to the structure’s top floor, marking the first traditional office-user at the Capitol District site touted primarily as an entertainment district.

Millions in TIF

The broader multimillion-dollar Capitol District campus, which spans a few blocks, is bookended by a 333-room Marriott hotel and an apartment tower. A key feature is an outdoor plaza with a stage surrounded by bars, restaurants and other retailers.

Image
Capitol District: mixed-use office building is at 1100 Capitol Ave., in the forefront between the apartment tower, far left, and Marriott Hotel, not pictured here but located to the right. (Courtesy of CBRE )

Omaha officials selected the Capitol District project in 2011 to rise on the site of what then were public parking lots. Actual construction was delayed several years and relied, in part, on up to $35 million in City Council-approved public tax-increment financing to get off the ground. Deloitte, currently in 26,000 square feet at the First National Tower at 16th and Dodge Streets, is to move to about 10,000 square feet of the mixed-use office building — which was the last structural piece to complete the $205 million-plus Capitol District in late 2020. That finish two years ago came during the pandemic, when many employees were working remotely and office space was not in demand by professional service companies.
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by mistergutierrez »

The Kum & Go, the convenience store, is gone.
halgy
Home Owners Association
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:09 pm
Location: Downtown Omaha

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by halgy »

mistergutierrez wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:30 pm The Kum & Go, the convenience store, is gone.
That really sucks. It was so handy to have a quick place to shop within walking distance. I wonder if the office had opened up a few months earlier if the increased foot traffic would have made a difference.

Hopefully something similar opens up soon. TBH, I think a drugstore (like Walgreens or CVS) would be a great addition to downtown, but that'd need even more customers, so maybe it'd have to wait until the streetcar makes cross-neighborhood trips easier.
skip
Library Board
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm
Location: Midtown

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by skip »

halgy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:08 am
mistergutierrez wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:30 pm The Kum & Go, the convenience store, is gone.
That really sucks. It was so handy to have a quick place to shop within walking distance. I wonder if the office had opened up a few months earlier if the increased foot traffic would have made a difference.

Hopefully something similar opens up soon. TBH, I think a drugstore (like Walgreens or CVS) would be a great addition to downtown, but that'd need even more customers, so maybe it'd have to wait until the streetcar makes cross-neighborhood trips easier.
I heard all gasless Kum and Go's nationwide are closing down, so lack of business is most likely not the issue of the doors closing. I work a block away from this Kum and Go and it was always busy.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Capitol District (NWC 10th & Capitol)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yes, the only one staying open is in Des Moines and that is also in the same building that their HQ is in.