Jennyfromthebloc
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:10 am
Jennyfromthebloc
New to the Neighborhood
Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:29 pm Haven't been by there in a while... Anybody know when the current tenants are due to vacate, and when we can expect to see the buildings come down?

Also Id have to think there must be a pretty strict standard about what has to happen to the wall before anything else can be done. I assume they will have to build a wall the likes of the one UNO built for their parking garage on the SE corner of 67th & Pacific. Can't imagine they'd be allowed to keep the current wall.
Whoever has the money wins. Neighborhood Associations have showed articulate and numerous, zoning scoffed at and dismissed, and it was well known the plans were already a done deal.
Lousy encroachment.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Jennyfromthebloc wrote: ↑Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:11 am
Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:29 pm Haven't been by there in a while... Anybody know when the current tenants are due to vacate, and when we can expect to see the buildings come down?

Also Id have to think there must be a pretty strict standard about what has to happen to the wall before anything else can be done. I assume they will have to build a wall the likes of the one UNO built for their parking garage on the SE corner of 67th & Pacific. Can't imagine they'd be allowed to keep the current wall.
Whoever has the money wins. Neighborhood Associations have showed articulate and numerous, zoning scoffed at and dismissed, and it was well known the plans were already a done deal.
Lousy encroachment.
I bet the Neighborhood Associations just love the homeless that are living in the old Arby's.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2138
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha
djc311
Planning Board
Greg S wrote: ↑Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:53 pm
Brad wrote: ↑Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:37 am
Greg S wrote: ↑Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:33 am I'm hoping they build one on West Maple.
Did they talk about a west maple location on Grow Omaha recently? I cant remember if I heard that or not? Possibly by Fleet Farm or Costco?
I'm not sure. Last Saturday they were intermingling talk of Costco (new one and other 2) with Chik Fil A then suddenly pivoted to new car wash announcement near the La Vista Costco.

Greg
Speaking of fast food and car washes.. has anyone noticed there's a "Rocket Car Wash coming soon" at the old Arby's location on 174th & Center St? Not sure how they're going to stuff one down in there with all of the other businesses that seem to be somewhat already jammed together. The west end in particular where Starbucks, Omaha Steaks and the Baker's gas station are located is awful. It's almost impossible to turn into the Starbucks drive thru if you're coming from the west (so driving east) in that parking lot. It's somewhat of a cluster. Throw a car wash designed to handle probably several hundred cars a day and I don't see it improving.

How many freakin' Rocket car washes (and Tommy's is the other one?) are they going to open anyway?
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
djc311 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:32 pm

How many freakin' Rocket car washes (and Tommy's is the other one?) are they going to open anyway?
There is a Rocket sign that says 25.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2138
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha
djc311
Planning Board
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:30 pm
djc311 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:32 pm

How many freakin' Rocket car washes (and Tommy's is the other one?) are they going to open anyway?
There is a Rocket sign that says 25.
Good grief - not counting Starbucks locations inside grocery stores, Targets, etc... 25 car wash locations has to put it close to the # of Starbucks coffee joints in Omaha!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
djc311 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:38 am Good grief - not counting Starbucks locations inside grocery stores, Targets, etc... 25 car wash locations has to put it close to the # of Starbucks coffee joints in Omaha!
I was gonna say something similar to this. I dont think theres even 25 Burger kings, or 25 McDonald's. Where is there even room for 25 carwashes? And combine that with the carwashes at gas stations, and the other name carwashes, is there really that much demand? Seems like way too many to me.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
The sign at 72nd & Farnam says "20 metro area locations" I think a billboard on South 72nd says 25.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Jennyfromthebloc wrote: ↑Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:05 am
Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:58 am LOL. With all the talk we've been having of de-suburbanization around Crossroads, it's gonna be a car wash.

Hey, I'm personally okay with it. Better use of the lot than what it currently is.
The carwash plan is idiotic and the plans all over that intersection (the genius Starbucks+game shops+restaurants with no parking = constant car accidents) will wreck that area. The home owners right smack dab there are infringed on immensely, and the construction and long-term results suck. No amount of pretty landscaping with more walls change that. It's a garbage game plan.
I don't know if the coffee isn't working yet or what, but I found that hard to read.

But I agree with the overall sentiment. That intersection is suburban heck, with high ADTs. My main gripe with it though is still around putting the main library there. The area needs a ton of work if it's going to become anything close to walkable / multimodal. Slapping the ORBT and the Crossroads projects on that corner doesn't fix the underlying issues of that area.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
GameRoom at 311 S 72nd St has moved.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Continental Cellular at 303 S 72nd St has moved.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Multiple spots in front of buildings have been torn up. Utility shut off?
MTO
City Council
Posts: 7783
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee
Some dumpsters have been moved in.
15-17, 26, 32
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
MTO wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:12 pm Some dumpsters have been moved in.
An exciting day for development in Omaha
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2138
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha
djc311
Planning Board
Garrett wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:22 pm
MTO wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:12 pm Some dumpsters have been moved in.
An exciting day for development in Omaha
Exactly! I was almost losing sleep over whether or not the Rocket Car Wash was really going to happen here!
bldgengineer2015
Home Owners Association
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 am
bldgengineer2015
Home Owners Association
Looks like the lot is up for sale now.

https://www.crexi.com/properties/142144 ... ent-ground
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Have they built any in the metro....I know there is one near Twin Creek in Bellevue with a "coming soon" sign for the past 3 years. I have also seen at least 1-2 others in the area with similar signs.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:20 am Have they built any in the metro....I know there is one near Twin Creek in Bellevue with a "coming soon" sign for the past 3 years. I have also seen at least 1-2 others in the area with similar signs.
Yeah, there are like a half dozen or so. But there are definitely way more lots with "Coming Soon" signs on them.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3273
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Brad wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:28 am
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:20 am Have they built any in the metro....I know there is one near Twin Creek in Bellevue with a "coming soon" sign for the past 3 years. I have also seen at least 1-2 others in the area with similar signs.
Yeah, there are like a half dozen or so. But there are definitely way more lots with "Coming Soon" signs on them.
Sounds like maybe the banks are having their doubts Omaha can support a bajillion car washes and are apprehensive to provide funding.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:20 am Have they built any in the metro....I know there is one near Twin Creek in Bellevue with a "coming soon" sign for the past 3 years. I have also seen at least 1-2 others in the area with similar signs.
Even if they never build them, it's a sort of backhanded advertisement for the ones already built. No such thing as bad publicity...
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
So they tore the buildings down and are now selling the property. I see no reason this isn't a win for development in the area. I suppose it could end up something lame like fast food buildings, a bank, or Mega Saver, but I say at least the door is back open for something with more potential than a car wash.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:31 pm So they tore the buildings down and are now selling the property. I see no reason this isn't a win for development in the area. I suppose it could end up something lame like fast food buildings, a bank, or Mega Saver, but I say at least the door is back open for something with more potential than a car wash.
Nope, they never even made it that far. Ran the tenants out, now selling the property.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Oh wow, they never even tore them down? Shows you how much attention I've been paying.

Well still think it'd be a good thing. There's not much on the table that would be worse than a car wash, minus maybe a Mega Saver, and I don't think there's enough room for that to start. But we do know they were interested in building in the area. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110948
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Rocket is building in one of the lots along the HyWay in front of the Gretna HyVee. They have started dirt work so I assume this will get done.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Busguy2010 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:49 pm Oh wow, they never even tore them down? Shows you how much attention I've been paying.

Well still think it'd be a good thing. There's not much on the table that would be worse than a car wash, minus maybe a Mega Saver, and I don't think there's enough room for that to start. But we do know they were interested in building in the area. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Mega Saver could do what Quiktrip did over at Hickory. Put the pumps on the side instead of in front.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:10 pm Mega Saver could do what Quiktrip did over at Hickory. Put the pumps on the side instead of in front.
I had that same thought, but I think it definitely would have to be single pumps and to make it worth it, be 10-15 rows. It could be a long dangerous walk from the far end. I don't think it would happen, but I learned to never count Mega Saver out lol.
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha
GenX
Parks & Recreation
I know we all love to trash on MegaSaver, but they’re really actually a good company. Gotta give them kudos for improving their locations/buildings and filling in some missing places.
User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm
User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations
EricHaley wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:22 am I know we all love to trash on MegaSaver, but they’re really actually a good company. Gotta give them kudos for improving their locations/buildings and filling in some missing places.
I’ve always been a proud Megasaver defender. It’s like the gas stations from GTA V in real life.
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110948
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
So the first of the new car wash's to close but this before it was even built!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Athomsfere
Planning Board
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
I wonder what fell through for them.
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
Its good news in the sense, no carwash. But I am concern it will be a bigger eye sore than the carwash would be. The buildings attract break-ins. I see illegal dumping.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Athomsfere
Planning Board
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:40 pm
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
Its good news in the sense, no carwash. But I am concern it will be a bigger eye sore than the carwash would be. The buildings attract break-ins. I see illegal dumping.
What could be a bigger eyesore? A storage unit? Even more parking lots?
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm
Location: Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex
User avatar
S.O.Boy
Human Relations
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:26 pm
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:40 pm
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
Its good news in the sense, no carwash. But I am concern it will be a bigger eye sore than the carwash would be. The buildings attract break-ins. I see illegal dumping.
What could be a bigger eyesore? A storage unit? Even more parking lots?

What could be a bigger eyesore? Its current state.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Athomsfere
Planning Board
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:14 am
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:26 pm
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:40 pm
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
Its good news in the sense, no carwash. But I am concern it will be a bigger eye sore than the carwash would be. The buildings attract break-ins. I see illegal dumping.
What could be a bigger eyesore? A storage unit? Even more parking lots?

What could be a bigger eyesore? Its current state.
I disagree. What we have there now ain't pretty. But it's miles better than a car wash.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
What's all the bad news that's been happening in that area?
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Greg S wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 am
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
What's all the bad news that's been happening in that area?
The Library and the Crossroads in a suburban intersection.

If the city wants this to actually act as a usable, walkable and vibrant area: Not adding a carwash is a great move.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110948
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:14 pm
Greg S wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 am
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
What's all the bad news that's been happening in that area?
The Library and the Crossroads in a suburban intersection.

If the city wants this to actually act as a usable, walkable and vibrant area: Not adding a carwash is a great move.
So what do you suggest? A boot wash.


Image
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Athomsfere
Planning Board
nebugeater wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:22 pm
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:14 pm
Greg S wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 am
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
What's all the bad news that's been happening in that area?
The Library and the Crossroads in a suburban intersection.

If the city wants this to actually act as a usable, walkable and vibrant area: Not adding a carwash is a great move.
So what do you suggest? A boot wash.


Image
Looks like you could get 8 of those in the space of one large car... I wouldn't oppose that.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8989
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:14 pm
Greg S wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 am
Athomsfere wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am
S.O.Boy wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm The Rocket Carwash signs are gone and replaced with for lease signs.
Finally some good news for this area.
What's all the bad news that's been happening in that area?
The Library and the Crossroads in a suburban intersection.

If the city wants this to actually act as a usable, walkable and vibrant area: Not adding a carwash is a great move.

I guess I don't really view that area as the suburbs. Even if I did with so much going vertical and infill coming it is transforming away from that. A single car wash would not have really had an impact one way or the other IMO.