Heartland of America Park

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036553
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

omahahawk wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:58 pm Wow, the skate ribbon looks considerably bigger than I thought it would be from this view. Also, looks like it will actually give a pretty good workout on the uphill portion as well.
Uphill? The skate ribbon is completely flat.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8987
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Greg S »

omahahawk wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:58 pm Wow, the skate ribbon looks considerably bigger than I thought it would be from this view. Also, looks like it will actually give a pretty good workout on the uphill portion as well.

Where does it go uphill?

Greg
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1187
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by omahahawk »

OK I guess it's just me but I kind of thought the pictures made it look like it was sitting on a slight incline where if everybody is skating in the same direction you would have an uphill side and a downhill side. In any case I think this will be an extremely popular feature. I can imagine it might spur the sale of more than a few pairs of skates and possibly result in the creation of some organized skating clubs/events.
ita
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ita »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:14 am
bricknose wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:02 am Is there any risk to having too much park? I read that this development will be four times the size of Gene Leahy. I like the sense of activity at GH - it gives such a lively vibe. Will this cause the same number of people to be spread out to 1/5 density, or will it only attract more people in a “build it and they will come” sort of way?
That’s a tough question. They’re not really new parks per se, but redesigned parks. There may actually be slightly less park land when everything is done than before these projects started.

But will they create new demand? I think a fair amount, but it’s hard to know until they are actually open and operating for some time. The programming is better than the previous parks’ which creates demand. They should also help create demand for more downtown living which should cyclically create more park demand but again, you can never actually know the truth beforehand.
The vision for the parks takes into account future growth in the urban core, in addition to being a destination park for the region. As much as GLM has been successful, I am 100% confident the remaining parks are going to be successful in bringing more people back to the river/downtown. If the new Lewis and Clark playground is 4x the size and the destination playground, people are going to be there like never before, but I do not think that GLM will feel less lively. The skate ribbon, volley ball courts, bocce ball thing, will bring other demographics maybe not yet frequenting GLM. It should capture a wider swath of locals once all the parks open, that's the best case and likely scenario.
Louie wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:41 am I think I saw that the combination of all 3 (GLM, Heartland, and Lewis and Clark) is like 72 acres total.
If you include Council Bluff's River's Edge, that's another 90 acres. Still, way smaller than something like Central Park, but I think together will make it standout in the region.
stadsborgare
Library Board
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by stadsborgare »

Image
A large flagpole has been erected.
Image
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036553
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

An aerial update on Heartland of America Park



1.
Image

2.
Image
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Once again, like the Mercantile development, these aerials really show the massive depth totality of the Riverfront Redevelopment plan..the game changer for our downtown core :thumb: …

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
MadJack
Home Owners Association
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:46 am

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by MadJack »

Great photos!
ita
County Board
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ita »

Nice aerial update!

Riverfront renderings show the gondola launch from the north side of the lake. Has there ever been pedal boats in HOA lake?
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Today a crane is being used to lift large evergreens into the open areas inside the skate ribbon.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Louie »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:09 pm Today a crane is being used to lift large evergreens into the open areas inside the skate ribbon.
How large?
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

It would appear the skating rink chillers were tested last night. The skate ribbon looks to be iced over. See todays webcam image and compare to yesterday.
https://public.earthcam.net/omahariverf ... a_3/view_1
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11628
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good catch
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Coyote »


Riverfront Drive and Douglas Street extension to open later this month


Riverfront Drive and the Douglas Street extension will open Friday, April 14 at about noon for two-way traffic, according to a press release from MECA. The site is located east of the CHI Health Center and goes through the Lewis and Clark Landing. It starts at 8th and Douglas streets and it goes until Riverfront Drive. This extension is to allow for a better connection between Downtown Omaha and the two parks. It was closed in late 2020 for the construction being done at the Lewis and Clark Landing and the Heartland of America Park which are set to open later this summer. (weather permitting)

Drivers should still take caution since the construction on the parks is still going on. There is still no public access to the parks at this time.

Image
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Westside

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Ben »

Glad to see this key route to access the Luminarium is opening, and just in time, with the museum opening on the 15th. I know this was a concern early on that the museum was potentially going to be ready before access was...
Xxtro
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Xxtro »

It looks like the past few weeks they have been working on the illumination of Heartland of America Park and Lewis & Clark Landing. The Farnam Pier looks even better at night.

Image



Image
User avatar
BRoss
IT Director
Posts: 10003376
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by BRoss »

Grass is starting to go in.
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Renovator2559 »

Omaha Skyline, through the Farnam pier as of April 2023.
I can only imagine how vibrant our downtown will be, we are doing many great things!

Image
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Renovator2559 »

Does anyone know if the other side of the lagoon will be open to the public and if we are going to be able to exit and enter through the Conagra side, close to the embasy suites?
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by NEDodger »

Renovator2559 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:57 am Omaha Skyline, through the Farnam pier as of April 2023.
I can only imagine how vibrant our downtown will be, we are doing many great things!

Image
Nice shot!
MahaBman
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:46 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by MahaBman »

They were testing the fountain yesterday. I think this if the first time it has been turned in several years. This section of the park is stating to look spectacular and I can't wait for it to open. Thoughts on opening date? I'm guessing Labor Day weekend.

Image
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by iamjacobm »

Maha headed back downtown next year.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Garrett »

Just saw the article about it. Very exciting! I love that they note they’re specifically working with Metro to make sure there’s good transit access. In a few years with the streetcar open I’m sure it’ll be even better
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Renovator2559 »

MahaBman wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:50 pm They were testing the fountain yesterday. I think this if the first time it has been turned in several years. This section of the park is stating to look spectacular and I can't wait for it to open. Thoughts on opening date? I'm guessing Labor Day weekend.

Image
I have talked to several GLM employees and they all are pointing to at the end of July, because if I'm not mistaken Maha music festival will be hosted there.

Labor day is too late!
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
MahaBman
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:46 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by MahaBman »


I have talked to several GLM employees and they all are pointing to at the end of July, because if I'm not mistaken Maha music festival will be hosted there.

Labor day is too late!
Maha is at Aksarben this year. They are moving to Hearland Of American next year. The only reason I'm thinking Labor day is because they said they want to open Heartland of America and Lewis and Clark landing at the same time and there appears to be quite a bit more work to be done before Lewis and Clark is ready.
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Renovator2559 »

MahaBman wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:04 pm

I have talked to several GLM employees and they all are pointing to at the end of July, because if I'm not mistaken Maha music festival will be hosted there.

Labor day is too late!
Maha is at Aksarben this year. They are moving to Hearland Of American next year. The only reason I'm thinking Labor day is because they said they want to open Heartland of America and Lewis and Clark landing at the same time and there appears to be quite a bit more work to be done before Lewis and Clark is ready.
Ok makes sense. Though so far every source I have seen or talked with has said that both are to open at the same time. At least they have 2 months left, so we'll see how it goes.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1187
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by omahahawk »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:15 pm Maha headed back downtown next year.
Cool....IMHO a much better spot for it.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11628
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by skinzfan23 »

I like that Maha is headed back downtown, but hopefully they can somehow take better care than they did at Stinson. Usually after the festival, the grass is all dead and maybe a month or so later, they bring in "some" sod to fix it, although not completely. I would for this park to be all torn up or in bad shape for the rest of the summer.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Athomsfere »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:30 am I like that Maha is headed back downtown, but hopefully they can somehow take better care than they did at Stinson. Usually after the festival, the grass is all dead and maybe a month or so later, they bring in "some" sod to fix it, although not completely. I would for this park to be all torn up or in bad shape for the rest of the summer.
Maybe they can use Buffalo grass or clover or something there instead? Better for the planet and should recover faster...
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Stan »

Renovator2559 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:19 pm
MahaBman wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:04 pm

I have talked to several GLM employees and they all are pointing to at the end of July, because if I'm not mistaken Maha music festival will be hosted there.

Labor day is too late!
Maha is at Aksarben this year. They are moving to Hearland Of American next year. The only reason I'm thinking Labor day is because they said they want to open Heartland of America and Lewis and Clark landing at the same time and there appears to be quite a bit more work to be done before Lewis and Clark is ready.
Ok makes sense. Though so far every source I have seen or talked with has said that both are to open at the same time. At least they have 2 months left, so we'll see how it goes.
I think they were originally shooting for early July, but last I heard was that they were behind and working as hard as possible to get back on schedule.
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Renovator2559 »

Stan wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:01 am
Renovator2559 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:19 pm
MahaBman wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:04 pm

I have talked to several GLM employees and they all are pointing to at the end of July, because if I'm not mistaken Maha music festival will be hosted there.

Labor day is too late!
Maha is at Aksarben this year. They are moving to Hearland Of American next year. The only reason I'm thinking Labor day is because they said they want to open Heartland of America and Lewis and Clark landing at the same time and there appears to be quite a bit more work to be done before Lewis and Clark is ready.
Ok makes sense. Though so far every source I have seen or talked with has said that both are to open at the same time. At least they have 2 months left, so we'll see how it goes.
I think they were originally shooting for early July, but last I heard was that they were behind and working as hard as possible to get back on schedule.
Same words I heard, if they want to work hard as possibl, how come they end the day at 5pm or so? Literally no activity on the upper half of the day.

The only reason I say this, is because they mention that that the rain slowed things down, so most likely were days off.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
User avatar
Toto
Home Owners Association
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:20 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Toto »

Renovator2559 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:52 pm Same words I heard, if they want to work hard as possibl, how come they end the day at 5pm or so? Literally no activity on the upper half of the day.

The only reason I say this, is because they mention that that the rain slowed things down, so most likely were days off.
What the heck is upper half of the day? Bot speak? :D

What rain are you talking about, we're in a drought?
Toto
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Renovator2559 »

Toto wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:59 pm
Renovator2559 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:52 pm Same words I heard, if they want to work hard as possibl, how come they end the day at 5pm or so? Literally no activity on the upper half of the day.

The only reason I say this, is because they mention that that the rain slowed things down, so most likely were days off.
What the heck is upper half of the day? Bot speak? :D

What rain are you talking about, we're in a drought?
Rain occurred a few weeks ago, we may be in a drought but we had rain. Upper half of the day means after 5pm
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Renovator2559 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:22 pm
Toto wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:59 pm
Renovator2559 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:52 pm Same words I heard, if they want to work hard as possibl, how come they end the day at 5pm or so? Literally no activity on the upper half of the day.

The only reason I say this, is because they mention that that the rain slowed things down, so most likely were days off.
What the heck is upper half of the day? Bot speak? :D

What rain are you talking about, we're in a drought?
Rain occurred a few weeks ago, we may be in a drought but we had rain. Upper half of the day means after 5pm
Hardly enough rain this month be even be noticeable. This is one of the driest months of May in likely more than 80 years for Omaha..

Rain has not been any factor prohibiting construction in metropolitan Omaha in quite awhile…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Renovator2559 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:27 pm
Renovator2559 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:22 pm
Toto wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:59 pm
Renovator2559 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:52 pm Same words I heard, if they want to work hard as possibl, how come they end the day at 5pm or so? Literally no activity on the upper half of the day.

The only reason I say this, is because they mention that that the rain slowed things down, so most likely were days off.
What the heck is upper half of the day? Bot speak? :D

What rain are you talking about, we're in a drought?
Rain occurred a few weeks ago, we may be in a drought but we had rain. Upper half of the day means after 5pm
Hardly enough rain this month be even be noticeable. This is one of the driest months of May in likely more than 80 years for Omaha..

Rain has not been any factor prohibiting construction in metropolitan Omaha in quite awhile…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
In May it is but what about April? Why would the GLM security guard that drives around the parks, tell me that they planned on possibly opening on August 10 do to the weather? Of course now I get mixed opinions saying that the opening is by the end of the month of July.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036553
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:27 pm Rain has not been any factor prohibiting construction in metropolitan Omaha in quite awhile…
I agree, rain hasn't been a factor on this or any other project in the metro area. Concrete guys are actually wetting the dirt before they put the concrete down because its so dry. Even if we do get rain, it takes a lot to call off a day of work. There is a lot that can be done in wet/damp conditions.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036553
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Brad »

Its really not that far away....
Screenshot 2023-05-26 234633.jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-26 234408.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by Renovator2559 »

Brad wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:47 pm Its really not that far away....

Screenshot 2023-05-26 234633.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-26 234408.jpg
I hope so I'm dying to visit the parks and a few out of town, friends are asking me when the parks are done.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O

Re: Heartland of America Park

Post by guy4omaha »

Renovator2559 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:22 pm Upper half of the day means after 5pm
Interesting. I have never heard this phrasing before in my 60 years. I’ve heard “top of the day” before which I understand to mean beginning of the day or morning. But never upper half. Might this be a regional colloquialism from somewhere other than here locally?
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.