Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Westside
Was the plan all along to vacate the buildings while they remodel? Or is the remodel even still on, with the MoO building taking its prime GLM view away?
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
My understanding was yes, tenants were going to temporarily vacate during the renovation. However, the third tower plan is scrapped, by all accounts, and the no one knows if the renovation is still in play. I suspect it is, but as cermak alluded to, maybe this becomes a residential or mixed use building. Nothing new has been made public regarding city ventures new plans for this development.
Home Owners Association
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:53 pm
That's going to suck for whoever occupies this complex with the view going away. I wish they'd reopen 16th St but that would mean the hotel needs to go away.
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
My understanding is, that is a large reason behind why Markel is looking to move from their current Central Park Plaza location to a different locale in the metro (likely west Omaha)…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
They lost their view, so they want to move somewhere without any views? Not sure I get that sentiment.Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:05 pmMy understanding is, that is a large reason behind why Markel is looking to move from their current Central Park Plaza location to a different locale in the metro (likely west Omaha)…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: DC Metro
Especially with the amenities that will be coming online.Athomsfere wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:17 amThey lost their view, so they want to move somewhere without any views? Not sure I get that sentiment.Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:05 pmMy understanding is, that is a large reason behind why Markel is looking to move from their current Central Park Plaza location to a different locale in the metro (likely west Omaha)…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Exactly. Maybe becoming too competitive / expensive for Markel?Doctor Fate wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 pmEspecially with the amenities that will be coming online.Athomsfere wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:17 amThey lost their view, so they want to move somewhere without any views? Not sure I get that sentiment.Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:05 pmMy understanding is, that is a large reason behind why Markel is looking to move from their current Central Park Plaza location to a different locale in the metro (likely west Omaha)…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
Not sure any of this is the case.Athomsfere wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:12 pmExactly. Maybe becoming too competitive / expensive for Markel?Doctor Fate wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 pmEspecially with the amenities that will be coming online.Athomsfere wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:17 amThey lost their view, so they want to move somewhere without any views? Not sure I get that sentiment.Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:05 pmMy understanding is, that is a large reason behind why Markel is looking to move from their current Central Park Plaza location to a different locale in the metro (likely west Omaha)…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
I’m Just reporting intel from my source who works for Markel, that there is pretty serious consideration for them moving location from Central Park Plaza to another location in the metro due to the events of Mutual of Omaha breaking ground on their 44 story tower next month..
They may not move at all..But it’s being talked about in office from what I’ve been told…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1276
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: DC Metro
Oh ok. So it's not a "for sure" move, just speculative/rumored?Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:26 pm
Not sure any of this is the case.
I’m Just reporting intel from my source who works for Markel, that there is pretty serious consideration for them moving location from Central Park Plaza to another location in the metro due to the events of Mutual of Omaha breaking ground on their 44 story tower next month..
They may not move at all..But it’s being talked about in office from what I’ve been told…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
Not for sure or official. Just intel I received from my employee source at Markel…Doctor Fate wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:55 pmOh ok. So it's not a "for sure" move, just speculative/rumored?Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:26 pm
Not sure any of this is the case.
I’m Just reporting intel from my source who works for Markel, that there is pretty serious consideration for them moving location from Central Park Plaza to another location in the metro due to the events of Mutual of Omaha breaking ground on their 44 story tower next month..
They may not move at all..But it’s being talked about in office from what I’ve been told…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
County Board
Posts: 4330
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs
To put this in context, Markel only occupies 4 floors of the building. Some of the reasons for moving (July time table) are kind of ridiculous, in my opinion.
Go Cubs Go
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
I can confirm, from my source at Markel, the move is now a done deal as they just announced it internally this past week..
Their lease is up in April at Central Park Plaza. They’ll remain there until mid July, then Markel will move to a location near Stokes along the Dodge St Corridor around 144th (I’m not sure the exact location, but in that area)..
Not media “official” but I was told this afternoon the move is a done deal with the above timeline…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Their lease is up in April at Central Park Plaza. They’ll remain there until mid July, then Markel will move to a location near Stokes along the Dodge St Corridor around 144th (I’m not sure the exact location, but in that area)..
Not media “official” but I was told this afternoon the move is a done deal with the above timeline…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
That former medical company HQ right by stokes is now completely gutted.Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:23 pm Their lease is up in April at Central Park Plaza. They’ll remain there until mid July, then Markel will move to a location near Stokes along the Dodge St Corridor around 144th (I’m not sure the exact location, but in that area)..

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha
It’ll be in that Dodge corridor area where Markel will move..I’m not exactly sure where. I was just told they’re moving to that neck of the woods mid July…Brad wrote: ↑Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:24 pmThat former medical company HQ right by stokes is now completely gutted.Omaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:23 pm Their lease is up in April at Central Park Plaza. They’ll remain there until mid July, then Markel will move to a location near Stokes along the Dodge St Corridor around 144th (I’m not sure the exact location, but in that area)..
I’m sure I’ll get more intel within the next several weeks…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Planning Board
Posts: 2330
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm
CPP has always seemed to have a hard time keeping tenants. Are maybe the floor sizes not compatible to today's office space needs ?. Now with its views of the GLM soon to be blocked I wonder what the future holds for these iconic Omaha structures. Hopefully it can rebound and find its niche. It remains one of Omaha's largest office buildings.
Library Board
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm
Location: Midtown
I have always thought it could be a good residential building. Would create some great density near the new GLM. Some of the units toward the center of the plaza will be decently blocked by the MoO tower, but that still won't be a terrible view.Cermak wrote: ↑Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:39 am CPP has always seemed to have a hard time keeping tenants. Are maybe the floor sizes not compatible to today's office space needs ?. Now with its views of the GLM soon to be blocked I wonder what the future holds for these iconic Omaha structures. Hopefully it can rebound and find its niche. It remains one of Omaha's largest office buildings.
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
The unique shape definitely lends itself to residential as it has a good window/sq ft ratio.skip wrote: ↑Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:59 amI have always thought it could be a good residential building. Would create some great density near the new GLM. Some of the units toward the center of the plaza will be decently blocked by the MoO tower, but that still won't be a terrible view.Cermak wrote: ↑Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:39 am CPP has always seemed to have a hard time keeping tenants. Are maybe the floor sizes not compatible to today's office space needs ?. Now with its views of the GLM soon to be blocked I wonder what the future holds for these iconic Omaha structures. Hopefully it can rebound and find its niche. It remains one of Omaha's largest office buildings.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
I think it could make for a cool residential project. Whether the view of the backside of MoO's 15 story parking garage won't be terrible remains to be seen. We haven't seen how they will adorn the garage on the west side yet.skip wrote: ↑Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:59 amI have always thought it could be a good residential building. Would create some great density near the new GLM. Some of the units toward the center of the plaza will be decently blocked by the MoO tower, but that still won't be a terrible view.Cermak wrote: ↑Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:39 am CPP has always seemed to have a hard time keeping tenants. Are maybe the floor sizes not compatible to today's office space needs ?. Now with its views of the GLM soon to be blocked I wonder what the future holds for these iconic Omaha structures. Hopefully it can rebound and find its niche. It remains one of Omaha's largest office buildings.
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
I saw a public notice that City Council in mid-June will consider terminating the TIF approval for this project since no progress has been made.
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha
Umm, I honestly don't understand who would want to move to that side of sprawling Omaha but ok. Maybe we can have better tenants that better use that red buildingOmaha Cowboy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:23 pm I can confirm, from my source at Markel, the move is now a done deal as they just announced it internally this past week..
Their lease is up in April at Central Park Plaza. They’ll remain there until mid July, then Markel will move to a location near Stokes along the Dodge St Corridor around 144th (I’m not sure the exact location, but in that area)..
Not media “official” but I was told this afternoon the move is a done deal with the above timeline…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am
Per Grow Omaha, it sounds like this is going residential? 400-some units?
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
Holy |expletive|. That’s a nice development
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
Here's the small part where they talk about it in the Lightning Round. 450 units, which is more than what is planned in the entirety of The Crossroads (400) and almost as much as all of MTC (493). This would be by far the largest single residential building in the city, right?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
County Board
Posts: 4746
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm
That's awesome. Good choice by city+ventures.Garrett wrote: ↑Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:30 pm Here's the small part where they talk about it in the Lightning Round. 450 units, which is more than what is planned in the entirety of The Crossroads (400) and almost as much as all of MTC (493). This would be by far the largest single residential building in the city, right?
The atlas, is still the biggest single structure residential building
I think it's over 800 units.
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102
Interesting adaptation. My biggest hope (if this version gets off the ground) is the possibility of connecting residents with 16th St. The western side of CPP is a block long closed off brick wall. I know we've kicked around DT grocery in numerous threads and locations but consider a redeveloped western side with a grocery anchor facing 16th St. There's already a substantial resident population in this area with another 450 more units above. The southern portion of the building will of course be along the streetcar line. The southwest corner where there's currently a glass "box" would make a nice entrance.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:19 am
I just can’t see the grocery aspect here. We are rumored to be getting one in north downtown and there’s the one at the Civic Site. 3, to me, would be overkill right now. But maybe something more in the “general goods” world?nebport5 wrote: ↑Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:26 pm Interesting adaptation. My biggest hope (if this version gets off the ground) is the possibility of connecting residents with 16th St. The western side of CPP is a block long closed off brick wall. I know we've kicked around DT grocery in numerous threads and locations but consider a redeveloped western side with a grocery anchor facing 16th St. There's already a substantial resident population in this area with another 450 more units above. The southern portion of the building will of course be along the streetcar line. The southwest corner where there's currently a glass "box" would make a nice entrance.
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102
No I can't see three either. I was thinking here as an alternative location to one of the others. The NDT TJ's sounds like it has more legs at this point than anything at the Civic. I can't imagine that would be on the larger side of their stores. I could see two if were talking boutique such as TJ's and a similar sized competitor. As far as general goods an Urban Target would be nice but think we're a ways off yet from that sort of thing.NEDodger wrote: ↑Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:46 pmI just can’t see the grocery aspect here. We are rumored to be getting one in north downtown and there’s the one at the Civic Site. 3, to me, would be overkill right now. But maybe something more in the “general goods” world?nebport5 wrote: ↑Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:26 pm Interesting adaptation. My biggest hope (if this version gets off the ground) is the possibility of connecting residents with 16th St. The western side of CPP is a block long closed off brick wall. I know we've kicked around DT grocery in numerous threads and locations but consider a redeveloped western side with a grocery anchor facing 16th St. There's already a substantial resident population in this area with another 450 more units above. The southern portion of the building will of course be along the streetcar line. The southwest corner where there's currently a glass "box" would make a nice entrance.
Human Relations
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm
The city should work with a developer to turn most of Central Park Tower into affordable housing. The first 2 or 3 floors could be for services and overfill office space for the courthouse.
#Save(TheBaseandSidesof)TheUglyGrainSilos2025
County Board
Posts: 4330
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs
My wife works for Markel and they are moved/moving out of CPP to 132nd & Dodge (sucky for us) but at least of they are vacating the building, it's good something good is filling in. They would have some great views ;)
Go Cubs Go
Library Board
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm
Location: Midtown
absolutely huge - will create tons of density!
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
If it goes residential will they still build that project on the east side to connect the buildings upper floors?
DTO
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Good. I thought that was a terrible idea in the first place.skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:12 pmI am pretty sure that they weren't moving forward with that project after Mutual's announcement of the new HQ.
DTO
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
I imagine that would impede their ability to make it residential since it would drastically increase the size of the floor plates.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102
I'm curious if the Q3 13.9% downtown office vacancy rate still includes CPP?
City Ventures initial vision for CPP was said to be about creating more class A office space. Now with this going residential I wonder if they'll pursue that quest...say maybe at 1416 Dodge St.? Tack Architects designed the CPP upgrade/facelift for CPP as well as the initial Lanoha rendering at the old UP site. That rendering is still up on Tack's website.
City Ventures initial vision for CPP was said to be about creating more class A office space. Now with this going residential I wonder if they'll pursue that quest...say maybe at 1416 Dodge St.? Tack Architects designed the CPP upgrade/facelift for CPP as well as the initial Lanoha rendering at the old UP site. That rendering is still up on Tack's website.
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
That vacancy number would include CPP, yes. If the residential vision is true, I doubt they’d have access to enough capital to build at 1416 Dodge, which is back under city ownership. And I wouldn’t hold my breath on a speculative office project, but who knows how conditions will look in a few yearsnebport5 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:36 pm I'm curious if the Q3 13.9% downtown office vacancy rate still includes CPP?
City Ventures initial vision for CPP was said to be about creating more class A office space. Now with this going residential I wonder if they'll pursue that quest...say maybe at 1416 Dodge St.? Tack Architects designed the CPP upgrade/facelift for CPP as well as the initial Lanoha rendering at the old UP site. That rendering is still up on Tack's website.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102
I'm not holding my breath and still agree a mixed use project is most likely whenever the climate is right. City Ventures seems to be about partnerships so I wouldn't discount potential involvement. I'm also aware of city ownership which is only likely to benefit a future developer...if we ever get an RFP from the city.Garrett wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:56 pmThat vacancy number would include CPP, yes. If the residential vision is true, I doubt they’d have access to enough capital to build at 1416 Dodge, which is back under city ownership. And I wouldn’t hold my breath on a speculative office project, but who knows how conditions will look in a few yearsnebport5 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:36 pm I'm curious if the Q3 13.9% downtown office vacancy rate still includes CPP?
City Ventures initial vision for CPP was said to be about creating more class A office space. Now with this going residential I wonder if they'll pursue that quest...say maybe at 1416 Dodge St.? Tack Architects designed the CPP upgrade/facelift for CPP as well as the initial Lanoha rendering at the old UP site. That rendering is still up on Tack's website.
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Did they recently take the Markel wording off the towers? I have also noticed the past few nights haven’t had these buildings lit up. Obviously once Mutual is built it won’t matter but right now looks pretty dark.
County Board
Posts: 4330
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs
probably. Markel moved out to 138th & Dodgeskinzfan23 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:37 pm Did they recently take the Markel wording off the towers? I have also noticed the past few nights haven’t had these buildings lit up. Obviously once Mutual is built it won’t matter but right now looks pretty dark.
Go Cubs Go
Human Relations
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:14 am
The Starbucks recently closed but on the bright side I believe they reopened 14th st today, between the towers and Mutual's new HQ. It had been closed for many months.