It's under the "Quick Links" menu.bbinks wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:57 pm Is there an option to 'mark all forums read' on the landing page? I'm missing it if there is.
Modifications to eOmahaForums
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
-
schumatt
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 94
- Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:44 am
- Location: Downtown Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
New look looks great! Nice work!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036575
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Am I missing a setting search setting somewhere? When I use the search function, its only showing me the 30 most recent threads. Search for "tower" which should have pages and pages of threads and there is no where to go past the first 30 (page 1).

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11634
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
I tried searching for something the other day and got a similar result
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
I am reindexing the search to see if that fixes it. It will probably take a couple hours.Brad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:41 am Am I missing a setting search setting somewhere? When I use the search function, its only showing me the 30 most recent threads. Search for "tower" which should have pages and pages of threads and there is no where to go past the first 30 (page 1).
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Finally have tracked down the search issue...it's a bug that appears to have started with phpBB 3.3.6 when they improved some search stuff.
tldr; I'll be filing a bug report with the maintainers and we'll upgrade to that patch once the fix is out.
If you care about the details, read on; otherwise stop here
Basically the code that is used to calculate the total number of results is broke and will always return one (if there is at least something found). You'll notice results always return saying one match found even though it shows more. And because it thinks there is only one result, it doesn't show the paging (hence cuts off at 40 max).
To add to this - searches are cached and it stores the number of results found in that cache. If you search for that same term again before the cache is cleared, you'll only get one result.
This was driving me crazy for a while because I brought back up the instance I ran the mock upgrade on and it was working fine there. But I was running 3.3.5 there. They released the minor update 3.3.7 just before I did the actual upgrade and I went with that. I saw in the code how it used to be done in that previous version and I can see how what changed in the newest version broke it.
tldr; I'll be filing a bug report with the maintainers and we'll upgrade to that patch once the fix is out.
If you care about the details, read on; otherwise stop here
Basically the code that is used to calculate the total number of results is broke and will always return one (if there is at least something found). You'll notice results always return saying one match found even though it shows more. And because it thinks there is only one result, it doesn't show the paging (hence cuts off at 40 max).
To add to this - searches are cached and it stores the number of results found in that cache. If you search for that same term again before the cache is cleared, you'll only get one result.
This was driving me crazy for a while because I brought back up the instance I ran the mock upgrade on and it was working fine there. But I was running 3.3.5 there. They released the minor update 3.3.7 just before I did the actual upgrade and I went with that. I saw in the code how it used to be done in that previous version and I can see how what changed in the newest version broke it.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Actually, looks like someone has already reported it.
That has been open for a month now so I ended up just going into the source code and making the fix myself.
Search is working properly again.
That has been open for a month now so I ended up just going into the source code and making the fix myself.
Search is working properly again.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036575
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Awesome, thanks for all your help keeping this forum running smoothly!

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
U R my Helix
- Human Relations
- Posts: 533
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:54 am
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Good job, I know a lot of maintenance goes into maintaining this site. 
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7333
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
One small gripe I found, at least when I'm using the site on my phone, the black bar at the top is thicker for about a second when a page first loads, so if I'm moving quickly, I'll go to click on a topic and while I'm in motion to click that topic, the black bar will go back to normal, causing the whole page to move up and me to click on something unintended. Not a big big deal, but it is a bit annoying.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
I see what you are talking about. It's part of the reactive switch between desktop and mobile. The items on the bar have text to start out with but eliminate it to just show an icon on smaller screens. Both the new style and default prosilver have the same behavior. Unfortunately there's not a lot I can do about it.Busguy2010 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:54 pm One small gripe I found, at least when I'm using the site on my phone, the black bar at the top is thicker for about a second when a page first loads, so if I'm moving quickly, I'll go to click on a topic and while I'm in motion to click that topic, the black bar will go back to normal, causing the whole page to move up and me to click on something unintended. Not a big big deal, but it is a bit annoying.
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
For some reason I keep having issues on chrome on my iPhone. After spending a bit of time on the website logged in it just stops loading pages and freezes up. Don’t seem to be having this issue anywhere else.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Will it timeout or show any kind of error? Does it help to close the tab and open a new one? Or can you refresh the current tab to resolve it? Trying to understand where the problem is.Garrett wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:15 pm For some reason I keep having issues on chrome on my iPhone. After spending a bit of time on the website logged in it just stops loading pages and freezes up. Don’t seem to be having this issue anywhere else.
I have noticed times where it fails to reach the site but I think it's a host issue. We share a server with other websites so another site could affect us.
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
HR Paperstacks wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:27 pmWill it timeout or show any kind of error? Does it help to close the tab and open a new one? Or can you refresh the current tab to resolve it? Trying to understand where the problem is.Garrett wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:15 pm For some reason I keep having issues on chrome on my iPhone. After spending a bit of time on the website logged in it just stops loading pages and freezes up. Don’t seem to be having this issue anywhere else.
I have noticed times where it fails to reach the site but I think it's a host issue. We share a server with other websites so another site could affect us.
It eventually just times out after like a minute of the loading bar going to 1/10.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
I've been seeing this more lately too. It started off by sometimes hanging for a while but eventually loading to now sometimes just getting my connection refused. And I just tried to ssh into the host to check things and it timed out on me a few times, which is odd and tells me it's not related to our site. I need to call the hosting provider and have them look into it. There's not a lot I have access to on a system level.Garrett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:49 amHR Paperstacks wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:27 pmWill it timeout or show any kind of error? Does it help to close the tab and open a new one? Or can you refresh the current tab to resolve it? Trying to understand where the problem is.Garrett wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:15 pm For some reason I keep having issues on chrome on my iPhone. After spending a bit of time on the website logged in it just stops loading pages and freezes up. Don’t seem to be having this issue anywhere else.
I have noticed times where it fails to reach the site but I think it's a host issue. We share a server with other websites so another site could affect us.
It eventually just times out after like a minute of the loading bar going to 1/10.
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
You will find out this site we our being blocked on this (KMTV) website:
Video unavailable
Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner
Watch on YouTube
You can however see the videos by going to YouTube
Video unavailable
Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner
Watch on YouTube
You can however see the videos by going to YouTube
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Had some mild issues connecting with the site today. Anything happen there?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
I haven't seen anything today but the issues I've investigated in the past are typically host problems. We are on a shared server and other sites hosted on the same server can impact us. If it's something that keeps happening, we can escalate to the host.Garrett wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:31 am Had some mild issues connecting with the site today. Anything happen there?
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
I fixed a display issue with polls where the default flat style would display the options weirdly. You may need to do Ctrl+F5 or Cmd+Shift+R to have the CSS change show up.
I did a quick glance over the site after that change and I don't see anything broken, but let me know if you notice anything weird.
I did a quick glance over the site after that change and I don't see anything broken, but let me know if you notice anything weird.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
A few years ago when we were experiencing massive issues, we blocked large ranges of IP addresses belonging to certain foreign countries that have been problematic in spamming and DDoS attacks. From my research at the time, the /8 ranges that were blocked seemed to entirely belong to them and were safe to block.
It was discovered that Great Plains Communications has a chunk within one of these ranges and that may have periodically caused problems for some people. I have now found some better resources to get a better tuned list to block more specific ranges and this is now in place.
Please let me know if you run into any issues.
It was discovered that Great Plains Communications has a chunk within one of these ranges and that may have periodically caused problems for some people. I have now found some better resources to get a better tuned list to block more specific ranges and this is now in place.
Please let me know if you run into any issues.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036575
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Thanks for all you do to keep this ship running smooth!BRoss wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:18 pm A few years ago when we were experiencing massive issues, we blocked large ranges of IP addresses belonging to certain foreign countries that have been problematic in spamming and DDoS attacks. From my research at the time, the /8 ranges that were blocked seemed to entirely belong to them and were safe to block.
It was discovered that Great Plains Communications has a chunk within one of these ranges and that may have periodically caused problems for some people. I have now found some better resources to get a better tuned list to block more specific ranges and this is now in place.
Please let me know if you run into any issues.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013719
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Seconding thisBrad wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:03 pmThanks for all you do to keep this ship running smooth!BRoss wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:18 pm A few years ago when we were experiencing massive issues, we blocked large ranges of IP addresses belonging to certain foreign countries that have been problematic in spamming and DDoS attacks. From my research at the time, the /8 ranges that were blocked seemed to entirely belong to them and were safe to block.
It was discovered that Great Plains Communications has a chunk within one of these ranges and that may have periodically caused problems for some people. I have now found some better resources to get a better tuned list to block more specific ranges and this is now in place.
Please let me know if you run into any issues.
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106377
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Thank you!
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
- Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
- Location: Aksarben Village
-
mrsticka
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2503
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
- Location: Lincoln
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
I have an idea. How about creating a dark mode? You know, for nighttime when it's dark? There are people on here at night. If there was a dark mode, it might be a little easier on the eyes.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
There is a dark style I added with the last upgrade. It's based off the default Prosilver and has not been customized like what I did with the "Flat Style" we use by default, so it looks a little different.mrsticka wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:53 am How about a dark mode? You know, for nighttime when it's dark? There are people on here at night. If there was a dark mode, it might be a little easier on the eyes.
You can change your style here.
-
mrsticka
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2503
- Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 am
- Location: Lincoln
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Done. Thanks.BRoss wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:02 amThere is a dark style I added with the last upgrade. It's based off the default Prosilver and has not been customized like what I did with the "Flat Style" we use by default, so it looks a little different.mrsticka wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:53 am How about a dark mode? You know, for nighttime when it's dark? There are people on here at night. If there was a dark mode, it might be a little easier on the eyes.
You can change your style here.
-
Habits76
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 112
- Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 6:39 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
I wish I would've seen this post sooner. The white background just kills my eyes so being able to switch to dark mode is such a relief. Thanks!mrsticka wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:24 amDone. Thanks.BRoss wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:02 amThere is a dark style I added with the last upgrade. It's based off the default Prosilver and has not been customized like what I did with the "Flat Style" we use by default, so it looks a little different.mrsticka wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:53 am How about a dark mode? You know, for nighttime when it's dark? There are people on here at night. If there was a dark mode, it might be a little easier on the eyes.
You can change your style here.
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
IP ban list has been updated to hopefully eliminate the Reddit post copies from India. Please let me know if you notice any problems. The counties blocked are now China, Russia, and India.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036575
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Thanks for the update and thanks for your IT expertise!BRoss wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:05 am IP ban list has been updated to hopefully eliminate the Reddit post copies from India. Please let me know if you notice any problems. The counties blocked are now China, Russia, and India.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036575
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
From the husker baseball thread:
Is there a modification to the Twitter plug-in so it reads both twitter and x ?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
There may be an update that handles both. I need to check on it when I get a chance.Brad wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:10 pm From the husker baseball thread:
Is there a modification to the Twitter plug-in so it reads both twitter and x ?
I still think it's dumb they ditched a name with huge brand recognition like that.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036575
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Thanks for checking in to it.BRoss wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:00 pm There may be an update that handles both. I need to check on it when I get a chance.
I still think it's dumb they ditched a name with huge brand recognition like that.
I completely agree. Everyone that's not on the payroll still calls it Twitter...

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110965
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
and even some that are I would assumeBrad wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:08 pmThanks for checking in to it.BRoss wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:00 pm There may be an update that handles both. I need to check on it when I get a chance.
I still think it's dumb they ditched a name with huge brand recognition like that.
I completely agree. Everyone that's not on the payroll still calls it Twitter...
I was on board with the buyout but the name change is incomprehensible
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Elon has been obsessed with X for decades. He originally wanted to call PayPal X.nebugeater wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:16 pmand even some that are I would assumeBrad wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:08 pmThanks for checking in to it.BRoss wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:00 pm There may be an update that handles both. I need to check on it when I get a chance.
I still think it's dumb they ditched a name with huge brand recognition like that.
I completely agree. Everyone that's not on the payroll still calls it Twitter...
I was on board with the buyout but the name change is incomprehensible
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036575
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
We interviewed one of the original PayPal employees on Grow Omaha a couple months ago and it was actually X for a while before they rebranded to PayPal.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2504
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
I remember this. My girlfriend at the time was one of the first batch of hires when PayPal came to Omaha in 2000. At the time, there was also X.com which was Elon's foray into online banking (checking and savings accounts, but no branches). It only lasted a couple of years. IIRC, Elon's email for a time was: [email protected]
-
BRoss
- IT Director
- Posts: 10003384
- Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 am
- Location: West Central Omaha
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
The Media Embed extension has been updated to the latest and now supports links from the new name of Twitter. Existing posts will not automatically display the content but new posts will.
Here's a full list of what it supports:
https://s9etextformatter.readthedocs.io ... bed/Sites/
It doesn't list X, but the changelog shows it was added in 2.0.2 and I was able to see it work with a test post.
Here's a full list of what it supports:
https://s9etextformatter.readthedocs.io ... bed/Sites/
It doesn't list X, but the changelog shows it was added in 2.0.2 and I was able to see it work with a test post.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036575
- Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Awesome, thanks for the update!
FYI, I went back to Greg's post that wasn't working and all did was hit edit and submit making no changes and it displayed it.
FYI, I went back to Greg's post that wasn't working and all did was hit edit and submit making no changes and it displayed it.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106377
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: Modifications to eOmahaForums
Thanks, BRoss!