Ball said the Lincoln Chamber has a formal memorandum of understanding with the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce to work toward trying to establish a "mega site" along Interstate 80 between the two cities that could attract a large employer.
"Right now, we're missing out on an opportunity to even put our name in the hat for billions of dollars of investment for projects that are coming to the state Department of Economic Development," he said.
Ball said next steps include working with partners to figure out "what specific groups are going to take the lead in what specific areas."
I-80 "Mega Site"
-
Doctor Fate
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm
- Location: DC Metro
I-80 "Mega Site"
Wasn't sure were to put this but this Lincoln Journal Star article mentions that there is a formal agreement between the Omaha and Lincoln Chambers to work tgoether to attract a large employer along I-80 between the two cities.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4941
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
It would certainly be an attractive locale for a mass employer to attract work from both cities.
-
NEDodger
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1361
- Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 am
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Curious what the implementation of this (and surrounding development) would have on Omaha and Lincoln being considered one metro area?
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4941
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
I believe the only thing that would combine the cities into one MSA is still the commuter % from primary city to primary city. So I don't think it would be a big factor necessarily in that.NEDodger wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:10 pm Curious what the implementation of this (and surrounding development) would have on Omaha and Lincoln being considered one metro area?
-
Doctor Fate
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1278
- Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 pm
- Location: DC Metro
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Maybe it would lend some thought to a commuter rail between the two and passing through this development if the employer was big enough?Louie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:15 pmI believe the only thing that would combine the cities into one MSA is still the commuter % from primary city to primary city. So I don't think it would be a big factor necessarily in that.NEDodger wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:10 pm Curious what the implementation of this (and surrounding development) would have on Omaha and Lincoln being considered one metro area?
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4941
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
I’m certainly a fan of that idea.Doctor Fate wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:40 pmMaybe it would lend some thought to a commuter rail between the two and passing through this development if the employer was big enough?Louie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:15 pmI believe the only thing that would combine the cities into one MSA is still the commuter % from primary city to primary city. So I don't think it would be a big factor necessarily in that.NEDodger wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:10 pm Curious what the implementation of this (and surrounding development) would have on Omaha and Lincoln being considered one metro area?
-
jessep28
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2820
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm
- Location: Omaha Metro Area
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Will this large employer by chance be the Nebraska Department of Corrections?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
-
NEDodger
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1361
- Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 am
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
jessep28 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:37 pm Will this large employer by chance be the Nebraska Department of Corrections?
I could see the site being built there. But it definitely wouldn’t be what the Chambers of Commerce would want…!
-
ChadJK
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2518
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
There used to be a pay disparity between the two. I had one recruiter tell me Omaha paid about 20% more on average than Lincoln (at least for salaried professional positions). I interviewed with an advertising firm/web design company in Lincoln way back in 2005. When I told them my salary expectations I thought he was going to spit his coffee across the room. I told him that was what I was currently making and he replied, "That's more than I make and definitely not market pay for Lincoln." I sort of gave up on looking for employment in Lincoln after that. Though, that pay disparity may account for the eastbound I-80 traffic from Lincoln every morning rush hour. As indicated, that was all several years ago. I'm not sure if it's still the case. It would be interesting to see a large employer land in-between Lincoln and Omaha and find they have to offer Omaha applicants 20% more than Lincoln applicants for the same positions.Louie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:53 pm It would certainly be an attractive locale for a mass employer to attract work from both cities.
-
TransitOriented
- Library Board
- Posts: 379
- Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
To me, mega means mega. Once that dumb lake is dug, there's not much room left on I-80 for something truly mega. If this is supposed to help Nebraskans, build it west of Greenwood. That gives it access to I-80 and highway 77.
I'm sure their definition of mega is much smaller than mine though.
I'm sure their definition of mega is much smaller than mine though.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4941
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
There's plenty of land between Ashland and Waverly for something mega.TransitOriented wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:06 pm To me, mega means mega. Once that dumb lake is dug, there's not much room left on I-80 for something truly mega. If this is supposed to help Nebraskans, build it west of Greenwood. That gives it access to I-80 and highway 77.
I'm sure their definition of mega is much smaller than mine though.
-
TransitOriented
- Library Board
- Posts: 379
- Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Yep, that's where I suggested.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4753
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Build it next to the lake. The state is already studying that project and possibly purchasing thousands of acres by contract or imminent domain. Set aside 1000 acres for a megasite project that Lincoln and Omaha can purchase together next to the $1000000 lake home communities. It would be perfect. A light rail was even suggested at one point to connect to the lake. Might as well have the megasite there too.TransitOriented wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:06 pm To me, mega means mega. Once that dumb lake is dug, there's not much room left on I-80 for something truly mega. If this is supposed to help Nebraskans, build it west of Greenwood. That gives it access to I-80 and highway 77.
I'm sure their definition of mega is much smaller than mine though.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106389
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Live, work, play! It's a guaranteed mixed use winner!


-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6019
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
What is the advantage to Nebraska workers to have a job site that is inconveniently located to 98% of the potential workforce? If you build a new production facility in a city you have ample mass transit options (at least in theory) for a great percentage of employees. When a business looks to relocate or locate they look at a great many factors, and in this day and age of full employment and there being 2-3 vacant jobs for every adult looking for work the ability to secure a workforce by luring them away from their present employers has got to be at the top of the list. Any employer looking to build on plowed ground has got to be satisfied that the government will build the mass transit infrastructure needed to get people to jobs cheaply (from the worker’s perspective) and efficiently,
One need look no further than to the Nebraska State Prison in Tecumseh (most people can’t find the town on a map). It has had staffing woes since it opened, because potential employees don’t live anywhere close by,
One need look no further than to the Nebraska State Prison in Tecumseh (most people can’t find the town on a map). It has had staffing woes since it opened, because potential employees don’t live anywhere close by,
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4753
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
That's a good point. I've spoke to a couple people in planning or government that have said that employers have asked them how to get buses out to their site after building/moving to a business or industrial park in SW Omaha.nativeomahan wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:18 pm What is the advantage to Nebraska workers to have a job site that is inconveniently located to 98% of the potential workforce? If you build a new production facility in a city you have ample mass transit options (at least in theory) for a great percentage of employees. When a business looks to relocate or locate they look at a great many factors, and in this day and age of full employment and there being 2-3 vacant jobs for every adult looking for work the ability to secure a workforce by luring them away from their present employers has got to be at the top of the list. Any employer looking to build on plowed ground has got to be satisfied that the government will build the mass transit infrastructure needed to get people to jobs cheaply (from the worker’s perspective) and efficiently,
One need look no further than to the Nebraska State Prison in Tecumseh (most people can’t find the town on a map). It has had staffing woes since it opened, because potential employees don’t live anywhere close by,
The problem with getting a megasite close-ish to either Lincoln or Omaha will be land cost. I think that is offset by infrastructure costs to build in middle of nowhere by Ashland, but there is also the difficulty of accumulating that much land (several hundred acres, at least) all at once. Most megasites are 1000+ acres from what I've seen. 1000 acres is the equivalent of 4 West Farms/Heartwood Preserves, for perspective. Even Facebook's data center 'only' encompasses 500 or so acres.
I don't think Tecumesh is the same as Ashland or somewhere in between NE's most populated cities. Tecumesh is really out of the way, not even that close to Lincoln. The state is considering a similar "somewhere between Omaha and Lincoln" location for the new state prison, which I think would dramatically help staffing.
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013721
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Scratch a combined Omaha-Lincoln Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) off the list..Louie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:15 pmI believe the only thing that would combine the cities into one MSA is still the commuter % from primary city to primary city. So I don't think it would be a big factor necessarily in that.NEDodger wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:10 pm Curious what the implementation of this (and surrounding development) would have on Omaha and Lincoln being considered one metro area?
Now there is the possibility, down the line, of a potential Omaha-Lincoln Combined Statistical Area (CSA). For that to happen (unless the boys in DC change the definitions), at least 15% of workers from one metro area to the other metro must commute for work (in the other) for the metropolitan areas to combine and form a new CSA. Back in 2008, delegates from the Omaha and Lincoln Chambers, including my Grow Omaha friends (Jeff and Trenton) trekked to Washington to meet with the folks in DC about combining the Omaha-Lincoln metros into a CSA. It was quickly shot down, as the work commute % between the 2 cities was around 7%. (I believe). This was 15 years ago. Certainly the work commute % has grown since 2008..and we know that number must hit the 15% threshold before US Census consideration..Also throw in the variable of what the Pandemic has done to change the work paradigm from brick and motor to WFH etc..
Right now, we’re likely a ways off from this ever happening. But there is always the chance it could..
Based on the latest US Census estimates, an Omaha-Lincoln CSA would have a population of nearly 1.4 million (without Lincoln, Omaha’s current CSA population is 1.09 million)..
Perhaps the 1-80 “Mega Site” idea would help accelerate the “combined” CSA opportunity…
Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4941
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
It’s interesting that it may fully develop on 1-80 between Omaha and Lincoln but the CSAs may never combine
-
Omaha Cowboy
- The Don
- Posts: 1013721
- Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
- Location: West Omaha
-
Trips1
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 134
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:21 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Nebraska need to get their act together with the battery and electric car manufacturers. There has been over $600 Billion in new investments being built or announced across 33 states with Nebraska getting zero. I'm familiar with Tesla and someone like that needs 2,000+ acres and 10,000+ employees. For their Germany location they installed rail lines to get their workers there.
Tesla Land Sizes
Nevada - 2,000 acres
Texas - 2,500 acres
Mexico - 4,200 acres
Tesla Land Sizes
Nevada - 2,000 acres
Texas - 2,500 acres
Mexico - 4,200 acres
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4753
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Good input. Difficult to put that much land together here with almost all privately owned land and fractured ownership. 2000 acres is zip code 68108. That's huge piece of land. Anyway, I hope Omaha and Lincoln can do something with getting a Megasite together, because as you said, there are going to be or already is missed opportunities because of an absence of one.Trips1 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:51 pm Nebraska need to get their act together with the battery and electric car manufacturers. There has been over $600 Billion in new investments being built or announced across 33 states with Nebraska getting zero. I'm familiar with Tesla and someone like that needs 2,000+ acres and 10,000+ employees. For their Germany location they installed rail lines to get their workers there.
Tesla Land Sizes
Nevada - 2,000 acres
Texas - 2,500 acres
Mexico - 4,200 acres
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106389
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Given the niobium potential here in SE Nebraska, i'm surprised that hasn't spurred ancillary industry
-
Trips1
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 134
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:21 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
I was able to visit the Tesla factory in Texas and the size of their initial building is incredible.
De Soto Kansas has the 9,000 acre "Astra Enterprise Park" that Panasonic just started construction in for a battery plant. Phase 1 is a 300 acre, $4 Billion investment with 4,000 permanent jobs. The initial building will be 2.7 million-square-foot or about 3.5x the Amazon building in Sarpy County. Phase 2 will be the same size. This is a project and size that would be perfect for Nebraska.
De Soto Kansas has the 9,000 acre "Astra Enterprise Park" that Panasonic just started construction in for a battery plant. Phase 1 is a 300 acre, $4 Billion investment with 4,000 permanent jobs. The initial building will be 2.7 million-square-foot or about 3.5x the Amazon building in Sarpy County. Phase 2 will be the same size. This is a project and size that would be perfect for Nebraska.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4941
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
The Niobium source is fairly far from any population center. A good hour southeast of the southern point of Lincoln.almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:56 pm Given the niobium potential here in SE Nebraska, i'm surprised that hasn't spurred ancillary industry
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106389
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
which in the global marketplace is essentially our front door
-
TransitOriented
- Library Board
- Posts: 379
- Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
I don't think Nebraska even has 4000 people able to take those jobs. I'm being half-way sarcastic, but do we?
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4753
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Quick Google search says the state has about 26k unemployed.TransitOriented wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:12 pm I don't think Nebraska even has 4000 people able to take those jobs. I'm being half-way sarcastic, but do we?
Regarding the niobium mine, that is a relatively small project compared to something like Panasonic's battery plant. It is projected to create 1/10 the number of permanent positions, around 450.
If Lincoln and Omaha, and the State, is serious about doing a megasite, they should have already started compiling land for that purpose. We are way behind other states, not even having available land to land something like that.
-
PWL73316
- Library Board
- Posts: 300
- Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 am
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Would much rather let the market sort it out than intentionally start some new boondoggle that won't pay either Omaha or Lincoln any taxes and will inevitably be regreted when the urban areas grow into it.
-
Bob from Omaha
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3079
- Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:00 pm
- Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Seriously, think about it. Are only unemployed people welcome to apply?ita wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:24 pmQuick Google search says the state has about 26k unemployed.TransitOriented wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:12 pm I don't think Nebraska even has 4000 people able to take those jobs. I'm being half-way sarcastic, but do we?
Regarding the niobium mine, that is a relatively small project compared to something like Panasonic's battery plant. It is projected to create 1/10 the number of permanent positions, around 450.
If Lincoln and Omaha, and the State, is serious about doing a megasite, they should have already started compiling land for that purpose. We are way behind other states, not even having available land to land something like that.
Bob from Omaha
-
SpecificPacific
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:26 am
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
The 'market' is not going to sort out a mega-site. These are sites that are compiled and planned for by communities and marketed towards mega projects. Also, Lincoln and Omaha are growing towards each other. It makes perfect sense to look long term at developing a game changing project landing spot between the twoPWL73316 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:32 am Would much rather let the market sort it out than intentionally start some new boondoggle that won't pay either Omaha or Lincoln any taxes and will inevitably be regreted when the urban areas grow into it.
-
PWL73316
- Library Board
- Posts: 300
- Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 am
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Welcome to the board.SpecificPacific wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:29 amThe 'market' is not going to sort out a mega-site. These are sites that are compiled and planned for by communities and marketed towards mega projects. Also, Lincoln and Omaha are growing towards each other. It makes perfect sense to look long term at developing a game changing project landing spot between the twoPWL73316 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:32 am Would much rather let the market sort it out than intentionally start some new boondoggle that won't pay either Omaha or Lincoln any taxes and will inevitably be regreted when the urban areas grow into it.
Omaha and Lincoln are naturally growing toward each other, that's my point. You don't want some 1000 acre boondoggle taking up a bunch of premium space along I-80 when that all develops in coming decades.
-
ita
- County Board
- Posts: 4753
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
I don't know that 50 mile stretch between Gretna and Waverly is not going to be developed fully anytime soon. That premium space along i-80, the way it's going is going to be all warehouse and industrial storage anyway. What's a megasite going to take away?PWL73316 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:05 amWelcome to the board.SpecificPacific wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:29 amThe 'market' is not going to sort out a mega-site. These are sites that are compiled and planned for by communities and marketed towards mega projects. Also, Lincoln and Omaha are growing towards each other. It makes perfect sense to look long term at developing a game changing project landing spot between the twoPWL73316 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:32 am Would much rather let the market sort it out than intentionally start some new boondoggle that won't pay either Omaha or Lincoln any taxes and will inevitably be regreted when the urban areas grow into it.
Omaha and Lincoln are naturally growing toward each other, that's my point. You don't want some 1000 acre boondoggle taking up a bunch of premium space along I-80 when that all develops in coming decades.
By the way, with certain people in the state seriously looking at acquiring land via imminent domain for a big lake (4000 acres), maybe with backing of the state, we could get a megasite. Honestly would rather see a megasite or two than a water haven for millionaires.
-
SpecificPacific
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:26 am
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
Absosutely, if there is not planning upfront then its just going to be piece mealed off until we have a bunch of warehouses looking for workers to commute in from Omaha or Lincoln for below market wages. A mega site offers the opportunity to bring a major economic project to the area that can also feed into other parts of the state by creating a customer for products made in plants across the stateita wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:14 amI don't know that 50 mile stretch between Gretna and Waverly is not going to be developed fully anytime soon. That premium space along i-80, the way it's going is going to be all warehouse and industrial storage anyway. What's a megasite going to take away?PWL73316 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:05 amWelcome to the board.SpecificPacific wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:29 amThe 'market' is not going to sort out a mega-site. These are sites that are compiled and planned for by communities and marketed towards mega projects. Also, Lincoln and Omaha are growing towards each other. It makes perfect sense to look long term at developing a game changing project landing spot between the twoPWL73316 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:32 am Would much rather let the market sort it out than intentionally start some new boondoggle that won't pay either Omaha or Lincoln any taxes and will inevitably be regreted when the urban areas grow into it.
Omaha and Lincoln are naturally growing toward each other, that's my point. You don't want some 1000 acre boondoggle taking up a bunch of premium space along I-80 when that all develops in coming decades.
By the way, with certain people in the state seriously looking at acquiring land via imminent domain for a big lake (4000 acres), maybe with backing of the state, we could get a megasite. Honestly would rather see a megasite or two than a water haven for millionaires.
-
Dusty
- Human Relations
- Posts: 794
- Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:53 am
- Location: Central Florida
Re: I-80 "Mega Site"
I have always liked the idea of giant lake, but not the design they presented before. Luxury homes and boat parking in a marina for the rich. Common folk would be allowed to take walking trail to look at all the boats they can't afford. Sounds super lame and not a great way to support the community.
I would build a mixed use development around the lake. Entertainment, resorts, shopping, etc.
I'm thinking seaside vibe to tie in Linoma Beach name. it would be wharf or boardwalk inspired.
For some reason, the town from Bob's Burgers comes to mind or Disney's Boardwalk Resort.
I would build a mixed use development around the lake. Entertainment, resorts, shopping, etc.
I'm thinking seaside vibe to tie in Linoma Beach name. it would be wharf or boardwalk inspired.
For some reason, the town from Bob's Burgers comes to mind or Disney's Boardwalk Resort.
Omaha's Transit Future starts now. Let's make the change!
Omaha Transit Network
Omaha Transit Network