Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
While I was looking at getting a place of my own today, I found out some pretty cool info. The north tower of the Twin Towers has been condemned. Some bank owns it, BUT another group of investors is looking at buying the building and turning it into apartments.
DTO
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
That would be AWESOME if those went apartments!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
So much for my condo suggestion. 
Unfamiliar with these types of properties, I don't even know what this would mean for an owner of one of these units? The bank doesn't own the entire building does it? Are all the units which have been sold in the south building? Someone enlighten me.
It would be wonderful if the buildings would receive an exterior renovation as well.
Unfamiliar with these types of properties, I don't even know what this would mean for an owner of one of these units? The bank doesn't own the entire building does it? Are all the units which have been sold in the south building? Someone enlighten me.
It would be wonderful if the buildings would receive an exterior renovation as well.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
They can start with a wrecking ball or some explosives.It would be wonderful if the buildings would receive an exterior renovation as well.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Aw come on now... I think some creative architect could do something special with these buildings. Let's not give up on them just yet.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Yes they could, I was just kidding, but they are currently an eyesore. They need MAJOR exterior renovation, including the grounds surrounding the building.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
To my knowledge, when the bank bought the building they bought the units from the owners of the condos as well. Condo's are just like houses, you own them.jhuston wrote:So much for my condo suggestion.
Unfamiliar with these types of properties, I don't even know what this would mean for an owner of one of these units? The bank doesn't own the entire building does it? Are all the units which have been sold in the south building? Someone enlighten me.
-
UNOstudent
- Human Relations
- Posts: 583
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:27 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
gettting technical, if a bank is taking over a property b/c the owners arent paying isnt that foreclosure? if a property is condemned, isnt that an action that would have been taken by the govt b/c of unsafe living conditions? im not trying to be a smart |expletive|, but that i interpret those terms. oh, and i do agree w/ brad on how to make the twin towers look nice.
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
So then I assume the multiple units which are still on the market... are in the south building.To my knowledge, when the bank bought the building they bought the units from the owners of the condos as well. Condo's are just like houses, you own them.
And with regards to the north building, what if a given property owner didn't want to sell his condo? Is there an association of unit owners which voted, perhaps, to accept the banks offer? In which case, those opposed, had to go along with the associations majority vote? I can see the government taking over the property... but that a bank supposedly got it's hand on it is another thing entirely... how fair is that to the property owner. If a bank in fact took it over, I'm going to assume that it happened with approval of a majority of the unit owners.
-
adam186
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2264
- Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 am
- Location: Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Well when the CITY condemns the property, the owners really don't have a choice.jhuston wrote:what if a given property owner didn't want to sell his condo?
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
They must have some recourse, an option to address whatever issues exist at a minimum... I can't believe this hasn't been in the news. Then I'm led to believe that some lucky bank steps in and takes possession of the property with the promise to make their own improvements? I can see this happening in a situation like the Wintergreen Apartments... but these were supposedly condominiums.
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
- Location: 68102
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
somehow I have no idea what you guys are talking about? twin towers??
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
White buildings east of Mutual of Omaha seen here. The building in question would be the one on the right in the pic.
http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/midtown/skyline/pic2.jpg
http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/midtown/skyline/pic2.jpg
-
ModestMouse
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 184
- Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:00 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Apartments PLEASE.
I mean, we need some tower apartments, something we can rent, not own.
I would love living in one of those things down the road, but it's all condos.
Apartments would be awesome.
I mean, we need some tower apartments, something we can rent, not own.
I would love living in one of those things down the road, but it's all condos.
Apartments would be awesome.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
I think the days of major EXCLUSIVE apartment construction in or near DTO are over. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see future developments contain both condo and rentals. There are hotel/condo developments all over the place. It just takes awhile for some of these ideas to be embraced here.
-Big E
-Big E
Stable genius.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
I don't see them as eyesores AT ALL. They are excellent residential density of which I wish there was much more. The style is very moderne (that's right. with an'e'). Sure the exterior could use some work, and more importantly the grounds and streetlevel. Plus, there are some open lots to the east of the property that would be SO good for infill. It will probably happen after the Mutual development gets going.Brad wrote:Yes they could, I was just kidding, but they are currently an eyesore. They need MAJOR exterior renovation, including the grounds surrounding the building.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
SPICE GIRL
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:14 pm
- Location: DTO
Twin Towers/Midtown
I agree; the south tower will just go up in value! It is not under the same company as the north tower. Painting the outside, re-doing the lobby are just two things the association has done to upkeep the property. Mutual east development is just around the corner.StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I don't see them as eyesores at ALL. They are excellent for residential developmen/ density of which I wish there was much more of midtown. The style is very moderne (that's right. with an'e'). Sure the exterior could use some work, and more importantly the grounds and streetlevel. Plus, there are some open lots to the east of the property that would be SO good for infill. It will probably happen after the Mutual development gets going.Brad wrote:Yes they could, I was just kidding, but they are currently an eyesore. They need MAJOR exterior renovation, including the grounds surrounding the building.
this is an investment for now!
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Welcome to the forum SPICE. 
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
I found out something else interesting about the twin towers. They were originally built in 1919. I thought it was a typo when I read it on my papers, but the original buildings built in 1919 were torn down to the girders in 1962 and given the exterior we see today.
DTO
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
I can't recall if it was actually a store or warehouse or both... but it used to house Sears.
-
OmahaChef
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1047
- Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
- Location: Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Thanks DTO and Jeff. Having moved here in 1994, I had no clue. I figured they were built in the early 60's or something. Apartments would be nice. I'd like to relocate from Bellevue closer to downtown again.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Tuesday 3/7/2006



Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
eomaha
- County Board
- Posts: 4176
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 am
- Location: West Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
It sure looks to me like there are people living in there... and if it has been condemned, shouldn't there be a notice posted outside? Is it possible this was limited to specific units?
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Did we ever establish a reason that it is 'condemned'. Is it a deal like they did with the drug store in Dundee so that it can get tax credits to get remodeled?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Jeff and Trenton said on Jan 3, 2009 that one of the Townsend partners (developer of the Wall Street Tower and Brandise) bought the north tower of the twin towers.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Good. I hope development spread east from there and fills in that very underused aread of DTO between 20th and 480.
DTO
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
With Midtown Crossing going up that was probably a great buy, even in the marketplace today.
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4693
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Wow, Townsend is investing quite a bit in Omaha aren't they? Have to wonder why that is.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4332
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
- Location: Bennington
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
You suppose they'll 'pull a Butternut' on this one ?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
jat
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:44 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
it is an ex partner. the guy now works for Nelson Development / Construction from Des Moines.
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Well, that's fantastic news. I'd have bought the buildings MYSELF if I could. I love those buildings, and they are in such an amazing location. They just need some love.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036557
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
I am hoping they do a makeover of the outside of the building.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
the1wags
- County Board
- Posts: 3853
- Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
- Location: Denver
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
More of the same info here.
"Troy Strawhecker, of West Des Moines, Iowa, purchased the property's north tower, according to legal documents. Omaha leaders said Strawhecker plans to turn the long-vacant building into apartments and give them a new look."
http://www.ketv.com/news/18591221/detail.html
"Troy Strawhecker, of West Des Moines, Iowa, purchased the property's north tower, according to legal documents. Omaha leaders said Strawhecker plans to turn the long-vacant building into apartments and give them a new look."
http://www.ketv.com/news/18591221/detail.html
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
- Location: Bennington
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
So is Strawhecker no longer with Townsend??
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
windsor
- Human Relations
- Posts: 815
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 am
- Location: Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
It was only a matter or time once Turner park got going that this building would see action. I hope that this is just the next domino of many to fall in the area.
where the corn meets the concrete
-
StreetsOfOmaha
- City Council
- Posts: 6854
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
I prefer to think of it as a ripple-effect, rather than dominoes (buildings) falling down.windsor wrote:It was only a matter or time once Turner park got going that this building would see action. I hope that this is just the next domino of many to fall in the area.
Midtown Crossing is going to bring so much renewal and infill to that area.
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
Ripple effect kind of implies earthquakes though. How about development of the area is catching on like wildfire! Nah, that's no good either. :-)StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
I prefer to think of it as a ripple-effect, rather than dominoes (buildings) falling down.
Seriously though, a few months ago I saw some architectural renderings of a proposed upgrade to the exterior of the north tower that looked real promising. Stay tuned. I don't know if the same architecture firm still has the job, but the design respected the "international style" of the towers, while still giving it a much needed face lift. Hopefully the south tower will eventually be upgraded too.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
...and then they were gone.
-
OmahaJaysCU
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2191
- Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
This is such wonderful news. I drove by that building every day for a 4 or 5 months back in 2007, when Midtown Crossing was just getting started, and I wished I had the money to do something with it. It has great location, easy interstate access, easy access to downtown (hopefully even easier with a streetcar line some day) and within a walking distance from one of the city's future hot spots. If I could do it my way, I would get rid of the parking lots on each side and build out some retail space, give the exterior a little face lift and you have yourself a great property.
Can't wait to see the plans!
Can't wait to see the plans!
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
- Location: Bennington
Twin Towers (30th & Farnam St)
The 3,100 sq foot south tower penthouse which was listed for $400,000 a couple of years ago (posted some where on this forum) ... is now listed at $350,000. Perhaps it will draw a little more interest this weekend.
http://www.cbshome.com/Listing/ListingD ... g=32150067

View from the '2,000 sq ft' balcony



http://www.cbshome.com/Listing/ListingD ... g=32150067

View from the '2,000 sq ft' balcony



Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
