Old Omaha Master Plans

General discussion on all things Omaha.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4701
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City

Old Omaha Master Plans

Post by Garrett »

I was thinking about 72nd and Dodge and the new library and it got me thinking about this rendering from a 2008? Omaha Master Plan that showed the area transformed into a walkable urban district. It had 8 identical skyscrapers lining the intersection. Whatever it was, I can’t find it, but it also got me thinking of other master plans from over the years, if anyone happens to still have access to them. The 2010 Downtown Master Plan is still online and it’s a fascinating read.
Last edited by Garrett on Thu May 25, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Old Omaha Master Plans

Post by thenewguy »

Garrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:30 am I was thinking about 72nd and Dodge and the new library and it got me thinking about this rendering from a 2008? Omaha Master Plan that showed the area transformed into a walkable urban district. It had 8 identical skyscrapers lining the intersection. Whatever it was, I can’t find it, but it also got me thinking of other master plans from over the years, if anyone happens to still have access to them. The 2009 Downtown Master Plan is still online and it’s a fascinating read.
I remember the rendering you're referring to, too, but can't come up with it, either.
Go Cubs Go
ita
County Board
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Old Omaha Master Plans

Post by ita »

thenewguy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:14 pm
Garrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:30 am I was thinking about 72nd and Dodge and the new library and it got me thinking about this rendering from a 2008? Omaha Master Plan that showed the area transformed into a walkable urban district. It had 8 identical skyscrapers lining the intersection. Whatever it was, I can’t find it, but it also got me thinking of other master plans from over the years, if anyone happens to still have access to them. The 2009 Downtown Master Plan is still online and it’s a fascinating read.
I remember the rendering you're referring to, too, but can't come up with it, either.
I've seen it too, but couldn't find it. I did find this one prepare by Omaha by Design. See page 38 for how they reimagined 72nd and Dodge. Pretty neat.

https://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/i ... 102720.pdf
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4701
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: Old Omaha Master Plans

Post by Garrett »

ita wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:20 pm
thenewguy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:14 pm
Garrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:30 am I was thinking about 72nd and Dodge and the new library and it got me thinking about this rendering from a 2008? Omaha Master Plan that showed the area transformed into a walkable urban district. It had 8 identical skyscrapers lining the intersection. Whatever it was, I can’t find it, but it also got me thinking of other master plans from over the years, if anyone happens to still have access to them. The 2009 Downtown Master Plan is still online and it’s a fascinating read.
I remember the rendering you're referring to, too, but can't come up with it, either.
I've seen it too, but couldn't find it. I did find this one prepare by Omaha by Design. See page 38 for how they reimagined 72nd and Dodge. Pretty neat.

https://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/i ... 102720.pdf
That’s actually the exact rendering I was thinking of. Great find!
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ita
County Board
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Old Omaha Master Plans

Post by ita »

Garrett wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:35 pm
ita wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:20 pm
thenewguy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:14 pm
Garrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:30 am I was thinking about 72nd and Dodge and the new library and it got me thinking about this rendering from a 2008? Omaha Master Plan that showed the area transformed into a walkable urban district. It had 8 identical skyscrapers lining the intersection. Whatever it was, I can’t find it, but it also got me thinking of other master plans from over the years, if anyone happens to still have access to them. The 2009 Downtown Master Plan is still online and it’s a fascinating read.
I remember the rendering you're referring to, too, but can't come up with it, either.
I've seen it too, but couldn't find it. I did find this one prepare by Omaha by Design. See page 38 for how they reimagined 72nd and Dodge. Pretty neat.

https://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/i ... 102720.pdf
That’s actually the exact rendering I was thinking of. Great find!
Glad I could help. This rendering really has a city center feel. It's an awesome alternative to what we have/will have there.

Image
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4701
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City

Re: Old Omaha Master Plans

Post by Garrett »

What was the plan that expected 2 million people in the city by 2028? Was there a plan with that or was that part of the 2010 downtown master plan process?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Old Omaha Master Plans

Post by nebport5 »

Garrett wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:51 pm What was the plan that expected 2 million people in the city by 2028? Was there a plan with that or was that part of the 2010 downtown master plan process?
Was it the 2030 plan that seems to have disappeared online?
ita
County Board
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Old Omaha Master Plans

Post by ita »

nebport5 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:03 pm
Garrett wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:51 pm What was the plan that expected 2 million people in the city by 2028? Was there a plan with that or was that part of the 2010 downtown master plan process?
Was it the 2030 plan that seems to have disappeared online?
Are you talking about this one?

https://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/i ... 30_web.pdf

No mention of 2 million population stat, but this is the downtown master plan.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Old Omaha Master Plans

Post by nebport5 »

ita wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:08 pm
nebport5 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:03 pm
Garrett wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:51 pm What was the plan that expected 2 million people in the city by 2028? Was there a plan with that or was that part of the 2010 downtown master plan process?
Was it the 2030 plan that seems to have disappeared online?
Are you talking about this one?

https://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/i ... 30_web.pdf

No mention of 2 million population stat, but this is the downtown master plan.
Yep, thanks! The last time I tried to access it the link didn't work.