Brad wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:37 pm
Its 2023... Just use your phone to pay.
I’m curious as to how many people actually use their phones to pay at the pump?..
I made a complete 180 on using Apple Pay (Or Samsung Pay). For the longest time I was totally again it, saying things like "Paying with your phone is stupid". However Creighton and UNO both went paperless with their tickets and CU parking passes that I had to start using my apple wallet. I went ahead and put my FNBO card in my apple wallet too. My 180 happened so fast that within a week I went from saying "Paying with your phone is stupid" to getting annoyed by businesses that don't take contactless pavements! I believe I also mentioned this in another thread, but I am also a gigantic fan of restaurants that have the Toast POS systems that put the QR code right on your bill.
One of these days, I might step out of my “comfort zone” and give contactless payment a try…
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:38 pm
I’m curious as to how many people actually use their phones to pay at the pump?..
I've started getting into the habit of using my phone at pumps I know have the reader, but I still end up at enough older gas stations w/o it that it's still 50/50 for me.
I used the Kum and Go app a lot to buy gas. It's especially nice when the weather is less than ideal.
Same here, it’s so nice being able to activate the pump while still in the car. I’m so used to using the Kum & Go app that I sometimes go quite out of my way just to get to a Kum & Go.
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:38 pm
I have and still do, simply walk into the store and tell the cashier “$$ on pump X” and pay with my card inside. No worries, no skimming and really, no hassle…
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:38 pm
I have and still do, simply walk into the store and tell the cashier “$$ on pump X” and pay with my card inside. No worries, no skimming and really, no hassle…
This is true, but it’s FAR less common..and if a skimming device is placed on the register “in store” in can be isolated typically as an “inside job” where the perpetrators can actually get caught..
Placed on an automated fuel pump, it’s easier to pin the tail on a donkey blindfolded, than catch “who done it”…
Newer fuel dispensers typically have tap to pay readers, so Apple/Samsung/Google Pay will usually work. Due to the encryption involved in authorizing tap to pay transactions, it's as secure as EMV. Once mag stripes finally go away, it will be very difficult to skim cards except for maybe taking a picture of the card and CVV for online purchases.
You can link your mobile payment account to the Shell app, and authorize a transaction. The Shell stations where I am have the tap to pay readers disabled, so that's what I use.
Adoption by retailers is the limiting factor, but the one nice thing about paying with your phone or watch is that it's locked behind a PIN or biometrics. You lose your wallet, the cards inside are live until you report them stolen. Then you wait a week for the cards to be reissued. You lose your phone or watch, the wallet is behind a lock code or biometrics. Also, that card data is actually a separate token from the physical card, so it's a simple matter of a new token being issued by the bank.
jessep28 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:01 am
Newer fuel dispensers typically have tap to pay readers, so Apple/Samsung/Google Pay will usually work. Due to the encryption involved in authorizing tap to pay transactions, it's as secure as EMV. Once mag stripes finally go away, it will be very difficult to skim cards except for maybe taking a picture of the card and CVV for online purchases.
You can link your mobile payment account to the Shell app, and authorize a transaction. The Shell stations where I am have the tap to pay readers disabled, so that's what I use.
Adoption by retailers is the limiting factor, but the one nice thing about paying with your phone or watch is that it's locked behind a PIN or biometrics. You lose your wallet, the cards inside are live until you report them stolen. Then you wait a week for the cards to be reissued. You lose your phone or watch, the wallet is behind a lock code or biometrics. Also, that card data is actually a separate token from the physical card, so it's a simple matter of a new token being issued by the bank.
It’s certainly been a slow as molasses process moving completely away from mag stripes..Which was the reason the chip finally made it to US cards in the mid 2010’s..
Interesting info you provide on paying by phone at the pump…
When my dad heard this on the news, he is wondering what they are going to do in the Sioux City area for names if they do want to change the name. There is an adult club named Mavericks near Home Depot in Sioux City.
advcomp2019 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:24 pm
When my dad heard this on the news, he is wondering what they are going to do in the Sioux City area for names if they do want to change the name. There is an adult club named Mavericks near Home Depot in Sioux City.
There's only one way to go from here: full service...pumps.
advcomp2019 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:24 pm
When my dad heard this on the news, he is wondering what they are going to do in the Sioux City area for names if they do want to change the name. There is an adult club named Mavericks near Home Depot in Sioux City.
There's only one way to go from here: full service...pumps.
I would not know. I still remember the Bucky's VS Buc-ee's. There was even a Burger King VS Hoots(Burger King) lawsuit too.
Then there could have been other lawsuits with names close to another company.
I finally went into a few Maveriks this past weekend. One in Ft. Morgan, CO and the other in Sidney, NE. They were both clean and big stores, but it felt like there was a ton of wasted space inside.
I still stand by my words in that I hope we get Kwik Star (known as KwikTrip in Wisconsin) to open here. They have by far the best selection of fresh bakery, produce and other items you would see in a grocery store. Maverik is a nice gas station but it didn't really have a lot of extra food options outside of the typical ones with the exception of the burritos that I didn't get to try.
skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:06 pm
I finally went into a few Maveriks this past weekend. One in Ft. Morgan, CO and the other in Sidney, NE. They were both clean and big stores, but it felt like there was a ton of wasted space inside.
I still stand by my words in that I hope we get Kwik Star (known as KwikTrip in Wisconsin) to open here. They have by far the best selection of fresh bakery, produce and other items you would see in a grocery store. Maverik is a nice gas station but it didn't really have a lot of extra food options outside of the typical ones with the exception of the burritos that I didn't get to try.
you know I agree 100%- KwikStars are pretty daggone good, and they have some really good hot foods there. I did some looking into it after our trip back from the Dells a couple years ago and I would have sworn we used to have KwikTrips here once, but apparently not
Yes, KwikTrips/KwikStar are expanding pretty rapidly into Iowa, the nearest on I-80 is in DeSoto which is west of Des Moines. They are also in the Sioux City area.
I think one of the biggest things is they actually pay their workers a good wage. I believe starting pay is usually $15-16 minimum.
Like you mentioned the hot food options are sandwiches, pizza, breakfast burritos. Most are cooked on site and not just thrown out under the heat lamps. The bakery is what always amazes me. Probably a good thing we don't have them here, I would get stuff too often. They have cinnamon rolls, donuts, bars of all kinds...and they are all freshly baked or within a few days. The other food options include, ground beef, steak, apples and other fruits, cheeses, milk (including milk in a bag)
I just have never seen another gas station/convenience store come even completely close to their offerings, especially for the decent prices they have.
skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:21 pm
I just have never seen another gas station/convenience store come even completely close to their offerings, especially for the decent prices they have.
I've got some friends down in the Austin area who swear by Buc-ee's. Apparently they smoke their own brisket on site for brisket sammiches and the like.
skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:21 pm
I just have never seen another gas station/convenience store come even completely close to their offerings, especially for the decent prices they have.
I've got some friends down in the Austin area who swear by Buc-ee's. Apparently they smoke their own brisket on site for brisket sammiches and the like.
Yeah Buc-ee's are on a whole different level. They are slowly heading this way. Springfield Mo is getting one as is Johnstown Colorado.
The Maverik-Kum and Go deal officially closed. In early 2024, Kum & Go stores located in Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming will be rebranded with the Maverik name.
skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:14 pm
The Maverik-Kum and Go deal officially closed. In early 2024, Kum & Go stores located in Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming will be rebranded with the Maverik name.
Sweet, bring on those MOAB Breakfast Burritos!
skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:14 pm
Here is a picture of the inside of a Maverik store: (as I mentioned earlier, they are clean looking but seems like quite a bit of wasted open space)
I have been several dozen Maverik locations and never felt like there is wasted space. They are not jam packed full like some gas stations, but buy they certainly not empty.
skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:14 pm
The Maverik-Kum and Go deal officially closed. In early 2024, Kum & Go stores located in Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota,
Does Kansas feel left out?
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
nebugeater wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:15 pm
Does Kansas feel left out?
The only metro areas are KCK and ICT, and QuikTrip is the 800lb (363kg) gorilla in both. They might try for TOP, but that's a weird town by any number of metrics--no c-store brand has primacy there, and none seem willing to make a run at it. Hy-Vee, Dillon's/Kroger, and Walmart split the motor fuel market, and I don't consider them c-stores.
Last edited by damonhynes on Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its impressive how Des Moines sprouted two gas chains that are at the top, Casey's and Kum & Go. Still, its unfortunate that Des Moines lost one chain for Maverik (maybe they are good?)
Not going to lie, my favorite chain is Tulsa's QuikTrip. They are employee owned, a private company, cutting edge technology, premium looking building design and shopping environment.
skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:14 pm
The Maverik-Kum and Go deal officially closed. In early 2024, Kum & Go stores located in Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming will be rebranded with the Maverik name.
From this news release(https://www.kcci.com/article/kum-and-go ... n/44939554), it says "In a news release, Maverik CEO Chuck Maggelet said the company plans to rebrand 120 to 140 stores existing Kum & Go stores in Utah, Idaho, Colorado and Wyoming."
Then it says, "For the remaining two-thirds of Kum & Go stores, including the 100 locations in Iowa, he said: "Right now, we think we can bring a lot of what’s really good about Maverik into the Kum & Go world without necessarily rebranding and will continue to evaluate future changes.""
I pasted the quotes just in case if someone does not want to click on it.
I sort of get the panties in a twist from the folks in DM but for crying out loud, it's a convenience store. You get gas, you get smokes, you get candy or a coffee or a pop.
On the other hand, my wife used to call it Go & Kum.
ChadJK wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:43 pm
So, the Kum & Go branding is going away in favor of calling them all Maverik? So, Kum & Go will become Kame & Went? #BaDumTss
Try the tilapia! And be sure to tip your waitstaff (but warn them first).
advcomp2019 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:37 pm
Maverick's Gentlemen's Club has been there for a long time.
Also a Kum & Go...
I keep on thinking of the lawsuits with names close like Bucky's vs Buc-ee's and Burger King vs Burger King.
Then I even think about QuikTrip and Kwik Trip, and why Kwik Trip uses Kwik Star in areas.
So I do not know what is going to happen in Sioux City if they use Maverik as the name.
Yeah although between the spelling and 2 different kinds of businesses I don't see a big hiccup coming in Sioux City.
From what I understand, if there is confusion or depending on the type of trademark a company has on the name, it can cause a lawsuit, but I do not know if confusion will truly happened. Then I do not know type of trademark is in play too since I am no lawyer or know legal terms that much.
In order to align their program with Maverik (per their app update description), Kum & Go has removed the feature from the app that allows you to activate pump/pay from your phone. Obviously not a major thing, but still disappointing as I quite liked that feature.