Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Coyote »

The Marylebone is now up for sale.
User avatar
Taco
Human Relations
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:34 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Taco »

Coyote wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 pm The Marylebone is now up for sale.
New owners remodeled it but changed too much and it just isnt the same. Not surprised business is struggling.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Louie »

Taco wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:15 pm
Coyote wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 pm The Marylebone is now up for sale.
New owners remodeled it but changed too much and it just isnt the same. Not surprised business is struggling.
It doesn't feel as genuine as it used to, that's for sure.
obvious2677
Library Board
Posts: 278
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:43 am

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by obvious2677 »

Louie wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:29 pm
Taco wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:15 pm
Coyote wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 pm The Marylebone is now up for sale.
New owners remodeled it but changed too much and it just isnt the same. Not surprised business is struggling.
It doesn't feel as genuine as it used to, that's for sure.
They painted over the Boulevard logo that I was paid to put on the side of the building during college - so this place can go away for all I care. HA
yman97
Home Owners Association
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by yman97 »

Does anybody know if the new owners intend to reopen Marylebone? I noticed the FB page was taken down which makes me wonder.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Coyote »

yman97
Home Owners Association
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by yman97 »

It looks the building is available for lease as is the building to the east. Not sure what happened with the plan to reopen Marylebone.
yman97
Home Owners Association
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by yman97 »

I see that the old Marylebone has a sign on it for True American Bar and Spirits. Interesting name. Anybody know anything about this place?
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by djc311 »

yman97 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:24 pm I see that the old Marylebone has a sign on it for True American Bar and Spirits. Interesting name. Anybody know anything about this place?
Thought I heard it was where Trump rallies would be taking place
swgiust
Library Board
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:17 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by swgiust »

Former head bartender/manager from Pitch in Dundee is opening a new bar in this spot. It is not a Trump rally location!
He wants a casual meeting place where you can get a beer or an elevated cocktail. Plans are for an outdoor patio and food trucks to rotate through. Look for the opening soon.
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by ricko »

djc311 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:27 pm
yman97 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:24 pm I see that the old Marylebone has a sign on it for True American Bar and Spirits. Interesting name. Anybody know anything about this place?
Thought I heard it was where Trump rallies would be taking place
Nah. You have to pass an 8th grade Civics exam to get in.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6019
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by nativeomahan »

If that’s the name I wonder if the owners considered what a divisive name that would be to call a bar and grill?
Flyer14
Home Owners Association
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:14 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Flyer14 »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:54 pm If that’s the name I wonder if the owners considered what a divisive name that would be to call a bar and grill?
That seems like a reach 😂
Flyer14
Home Owners Association
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:14 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Flyer14 »

Flyer14 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:04 am
nativeomahan wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:54 pm If that’s the name I wonder if the owners considered what a divisive name that would be to call a bar and grill?
That seems like a reach 😂 that means we have to assume that we know they are implying something, but if that’s how you want to look at it go ahead
User avatar
MadJack
Home Owners Association
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by MadJack »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:54 pm If that’s the name I wonder if the owners considered what a divisive name that would be to call a bar and grill?
Good grief
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Athomsfere »

Flyer14 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:04 am
nativeomahan wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:54 pm If that’s the name I wonder if the owners considered what a divisive name that would be to call a bar and grill?
That seems like a reach 😂
I know for me, its the sort of name I'm not likely to visit the place. Because it certainly has that nationalist ring to it, and I have no interest in being surrounded by open carry loons who are imbibing.
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by ricko »

I guess you’d have to ask the owners for the meaning behind the name. Are they going to feature American spirits, wines and beers? Theme bars and restaurants are fine; I have no problem with that. If the name was intended to imply that only like-minded people are welcome, then he should expect some blowback. Regardless, from a purely marketing standpoint, the name is just plain dumb.

What, exactly, is a “True American”?
DasBoot
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:27 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by DasBoot »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:54 pm If that’s the name I wonder if the owners considered what a divisive name that would be to call a bar and grill?
Oh jeez :lol:
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4356
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by thenewguy »

ricko wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:52 am I guess you’d have to ask the owners for the meaning behind the name. Are they going to feature American spirits, wines and beers? Theme bars and restaurants are fine; I have no problem with that. If the name was intended to imply that only like-minded people are welcome, then he should expect some blowback. Regardless, from a purely marketing standpoint, the name is just plain dumb.

What, exactly, is a “True American”?
Image
Go Cubs Go
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by djc311 »

Honestly if you choose that name you must have an idea as to the thoughts that will cross people's minds when they hear it.

Even if it features "American spirits, drinks, etc" I don't think the name conveys that intent.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but from a marketing standpoint it's not a good choice if you're not intentionally trying to cater to a certain clientel.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Athomsfere »

djc311 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:39 pm Honestly if you choose that name you must have an idea as to the thoughts that will cross people's minds when they hear it.

Even if it features "American spirits, drinks, etc" I don't think the name conveys that intent.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but from a marketing standpoint it's not a good choice if you're not intentionally trying to cater to a certain clientel.
I think you are right on.

I mean, I've been to a place called "American Bar" in Japan, where no one spoke English to a decent degree, and it's fun and chinzty abroad.

But yeah, "True American Bar" feels iffy.

Also, its sort of weird that we have new and lowish post count accounts coming from nowhere to defend this name...
Bobs1981
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:18 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Bobs1981 »

I know the owner personally. Good dude. Makes a mean drink. The name started out as a joke from the TV show new girl. On the show they play a drinking game called true American where there are no rules and everyone gets hammered. From what I have gathered from him the bar is an ode to the 1970s. Ya know? Peace, love, rock n roll, funk, flash, style and unity. Something that we could all use a little more of in these crazy times we live in. If the name stops you from coming in, then I truly believe it will be your loss. Do what ya will but if you want to shake off the world for a while, then I think this will be the place to do it. Not everything has to be divisive. Why can’t we all be True Americans? Everyone will be welcome and Rob the owner has always been a good host and a good time everywhere I’ve sat across the bar from him.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by djc311 »

Bobs1981 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:31 pm I know the owner personally. Good dude. Makes a mean drink. The name started out as a joke from the TV show new girl. On the show they play a drinking game called true American where there are no rules and everyone gets hammered. From what I have gathered from him the bar is an ode to the 1970s. Ya know? Peace, love, rock n roll, funk, flash, style and unity. Something that we could all use a little more of in these crazy times we live in. If the name stops you from coming in, then I truly believe it will be your loss. Do what ya will but if you want to shake off the world for a while, then I think this will be the place to do it. Not everything has to be divisive. Why can’t we all be True Americans? Everyone will be welcome and Rob the owner has always been a good host and a good time everywhere I’ve sat across the bar from him.
I remember that show and that game - I liked it when they'd play in the apartment and do the obstacle course. Now if that's how it's gonna be, then that does seem like a good time. :)

Perhaps it will come out the closer they get to opening - a name doesn't tell the whole story. Thanks to a particular idiot president we've previously had it seems like the country really has become divided. I've been here nearly 50 years and regardless of Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Obama, etc... it wasn't that way.
TARob
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:37 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by TARob »

I own the bar. Bobby bobs1981 said it perfectly. Everyone is welcome. When did drinking and having a good time become political? I love you all and hope to see you when we do open. I really think we have something special, and I’d like to share it with everyone. White, black, brown, gay, straight, male, female, trans, republican, or democrat and whoever else I missed. You are all True Americans to me. Let’s stop all this division, come together over a beer or cocktail and get funky. Hope to see ya’ll soon.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106389
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by almighty_tuna »

Always nice to have an owner/developer/primary stakeholder contribute as a source. Welcome to the forum!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013720
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TARob wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:51 pm I own the bar. Bobby bobs1981 said it perfectly. Everyone is welcome. When did drinking and having a good time become political? I love you all and hope to see you when we do open. I really think we have something special, and I’d like to share it with everyone. White, black, brown, gay, straight, male, female, trans, republican, or democrat and whoever else I missed. You are all True Americans to me. Let’s stop all this division, come together over a beer or cocktail and get funky. Hope to see ya’ll soon.
Thank you for posting this. Look forward to your opening..

Welcome to the forum and don’t be a stranger!…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
TARob
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:37 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by TARob »

Thanks y’all. Instagram if you want to give us a follow or check out the progress.
thetrueamericanbar

Peace
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by ricko »

TARob wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:51 pm I own the bar. Bobby bobs1981 said it perfectly. Everyone is welcome. When did drinking and having a good time become political? I love you all and hope to see you when we do open. I really think we have something special, and I’d like to share it with everyone. White, black, brown, gay, straight, male, female, trans, republican, or democrat and whoever else I missed. You are all True Americans to me. Let’s stop all this division, come together over a beer or cocktail and get funky. Hope to see ya’ll soon.
Thanks for dropping in and clearing that up, I wish you success in your new business. For your sake, I hope the name won't turn people away, but realistically, if I were to walk down Leavenworth and notice your sign, I might think twice about checking it out (I'm gay, so I'm always on guard about establishments that might not be welcoming). We live in politically charged times, so I can understand people's desire to avoid controversy. I'm a former bartender BTW, so I know how difficult and time consuming it is to run a F&B establishment.
TARob
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:37 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by TARob »

ricko wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:54 pm
TARob wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:51 pm I own the bar. Bobby bobs1981 said it perfectly. Everyone is welcome. When did drinking and having a good time become political? I love you all and hope to see you when we do open. I really think we have something special, and I’d like to share it with everyone. White, black, brown, gay, straight, male, female, trans, republican, or democrat and whoever else I missed. You are all True Americans to me. Let’s stop all this division, come together over a beer or cocktail and get funky. Hope to see ya’ll soon.
Thanks for dropping in and clearing that up, I wish you success in your new business. For your sake, I hope the name won't turn people away, but realistically, if I were to walk down Leavenworth and notice your sign, I might think twice about checking it out (I'm gay, so I'm always on guard about establishments that might not be welcoming). We live in politically charged times, so I can understand people's desire to avoid controversy. I'm a former bartender BTW, so I know how difficult and time consuming it is to run a F&B establishment.
You are always welcome in my house friend, and will always protect my house from bigotry and absolute nonsense. You are a human being above all and that’s why I love this industry. I get to be with people all day long. Much love and hope you will come see us when we are open.
ricko
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by ricko »

TARob wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:08 pm
ricko wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:54 pm
TARob wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:51 pm I own the bar. Bobby bobs1981 said it perfectly. Everyone is welcome. When did drinking and having a good time become political? I love you all and hope to see you when we do open. I really think we have something special, and I’d like to share it with everyone. White, black, brown, gay, straight, male, female, trans, republican, or democrat and whoever else I missed. You are all True Americans to me. Let’s stop all this division, come together over a beer or cocktail and get funky. Hope to see ya’ll soon.
Thanks for dropping in and clearing that up, I wish you success in your new business. For your sake, I hope the name won't turn people away, but realistically, if I were to walk down Leavenworth and notice your sign, I might think twice about checking it out (I'm gay, so I'm always on guard about establishments that might not be welcoming). We live in politically charged times, so I can understand people's desire to avoid controversy. I'm a former bartender BTW, so I know how difficult and time consuming it is to run a F&B establishment.
You are always welcome in my house friend, and will always protect my house from bigotry and absolute nonsense. You are a human being above all and that’s why I love this industry. I get to be with people all day long. Much love and hope you will come see us when we are open.
Thank you for your response and your personal invitation. I'll make it a point to visit next time I'm in Omaha.
yman97
Home Owners Association
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by yman97 »

TARob wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:51 pm I own the bar. Bobby bobs1981 said it perfectly. Everyone is welcome. When did drinking and having a good time become political? I love you all and hope to see you when we do open. I really think we have something special, and I’d like to share it with everyone. White, black, brown, gay, straight, male, female, trans, republican, or democrat and whoever else I missed. You are all True Americans to me. Let’s stop all this division, come together over a beer or cocktail and get funky. Hope to see ya’ll soon.
Appreciate the response. I have a history-based page on Facebook called Omaha Exploration where I posted the history of Marylebone and made mention of your bar replacing it. I heard some concern over the name from some of my followers which prompted me to ask the question here. I live nearby and look forward to its opening. Glad to have you in the neighborhood.
skip
Library Board
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:36 pm
Location: Midtown

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by skip »

TARob wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:51 pm I own the bar. Bobby bobs1981 said it perfectly. Everyone is welcome. When did drinking and having a good time become political? I love you all and hope to see you when we do open. I really think we have something special, and I’d like to share it with everyone. White, black, brown, gay, straight, male, female, trans, republican, or democrat and whoever else I missed. You are all True Americans to me. Let’s stop all this division, come together over a beer or cocktail and get funky. Hope to see ya’ll soon.
Can't wait! I live 3 blocks away and will definitely be making appearances lol. When do you plan on opening?
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:44 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by djc311 »

skip wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:19 pm
TARob wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:51 pm I own the bar. Bobby bobs1981 said it perfectly. Everyone is welcome. When did drinking and having a good time become political? I love you all and hope to see you when we do open. I really think we have something special, and I’d like to share it with everyone. White, black, brown, gay, straight, male, female, trans, republican, or democrat and whoever else I missed. You are all True Americans to me. Let’s stop all this division, come together over a beer or cocktail and get funky. Hope to see ya’ll soon.
Can't wait! I live 3 blocks away and will definitely be making appearances lol. When do you plan on opening?
3 blocks! That's within stumbling distance fo sho!
TARob
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:37 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by TARob »

Everything is going well and as long as the inspections go as planned we are looking at end of February or first week of March.
jelizh
Home Owners Association
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by jelizh »

Bobs1981 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:31 pm I know the owner personally. Good dude. Makes a mean drink. The name started out as a joke from the TV show new girl. On the show they play a drinking game called true American where there are no rules and everyone gets hammered. From what I have gathered from him the bar is an ode to the 1970s. Ya know? Peace, love, rock n roll, funk, flash, style and unity. Something that we could all use a little more of in these crazy times we live in. If the name stops you from coming in, then I truly believe it will be your loss. Do what ya will but if you want to shake off the world for a while, then I think this will be the place to do it. Not everything has to be divisive. Why can’t we all be True Americans? Everyone will be welcome and Rob the owner has always been a good host and a good time everywhere I’ve sat across the bar from him.
Millennial here, I might be in the minority but immediately thought it was a New Girl reference when I saw the bright yellow sign. I think there may be a a decent bunch of folks in this area that also picked up on the reference based on conversations I've had. Looking forward to visiting when open!
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Athomsfere »

jelizh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:33 pm
Bobs1981 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:31 pm I know the owner personally. Good dude. Makes a mean drink. The name started out as a joke from the TV show new girl. On the show they play a drinking game called true American where there are no rules and everyone gets hammered. From what I have gathered from him the bar is an ode to the 1970s. Ya know? Peace, love, rock n roll, funk, flash, style and unity. Something that we could all use a little more of in these crazy times we live in. If the name stops you from coming in, then I truly believe it will be your loss. Do what ya will but if you want to shake off the world for a while, then I think this will be the place to do it. Not everything has to be divisive. Why can’t we all be True Americans? Everyone will be welcome and Rob the owner has always been a good host and a good time everywhere I’ve sat across the bar from him.
Millennial here, I might be in the minority but immediately thought it was a New Girl reference when I saw the bright yellow sign. I think there may be a a decent bunch of folks in this area that also picked up on the reference based on conversations I've had. Looking forward to visiting when open!
Millennial here. Never saw the show.

But I'm not a TV person.

Additionally, I'll eat crow for being dubious on the name choice.

Still not sure the optics would be ideal, but not my bar.
Flyer14
Home Owners Association
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:14 pm

Re: Marylebone (3710 Leavenworth)

Post by Flyer14 »

jelizh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:33 pm
Millennial here, I might be in the minority but immediately thought it was a New Girl reference when I saw the bright yellow sign. I think there may be a a decent bunch of folks in this area that also picked up on the reference based on conversations I've had. Looking forward to visiting when open!
We also immediately thought of new girl!