User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4703
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
10ish floors! That’s quite something
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Looks similar in height to the building going up in Blackstone. Is this on the Happy Bar space?
ita
County Board
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
skip wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:09 pm I checked the Crexi page for the new office building.... Check out this rendering! I haven't seen this one yet. Its a rendering of an apartment building to the south of the new office building.
Nice find! Since it looks to have a parking component, I am guessing this will be the next phase. Here is the updated rendering the district from the brochure:

Image
ita
County Board
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:42 pm Looks similar in height to the building going up in Blackstone. Is this on the Happy Bar space?
You can see the Happy Bar building in the pic. It's the small building at the other end of the public space. This garage/apartment project is going to take out California Street. I think it will be like this:

Image
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
That would be a pretty sweet pool with some nice views of downtown from about 4-5 floors up.
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 7:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
The mass timber looks good, complements the Kiewit campus nicely. North downtown is drawing its unique asthetic!

Image

Image
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
not bad; looks a bit like a hospital. You'd never know it used mass timber...i thought they were going to have some exposed elements though?
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036589
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
thenewguy wrote: ↑Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:48 pm i thought they were going to have some exposed elements though?
You can see the timbers through the window, around the entrance, and inside the main lobby. Its technically a "Hybrid mass timber building" so there are not a ton of timbers in there.
halgy
Home Owners Association
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:09 pm
Location: Downtown Omaha
halgy
Home Owners Association
thenewguy wrote: ↑Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:48 pm not bad; looks a bit like a hospital. You'd never know it used mass timber...i thought they were going to have some exposed elements though?
I'd agree that it basically looks like any other modern building. I don't dislike that look, but I don't know that exterior aesthetic is the big selling point for mass timber. Mostly, I think the advantages are that they are cheaper and faster to build (allegedly). The exposed wood in the interior is a bonus (though a nice one).

Regardless, I'm glad to see this looking almost finished. I'm really excited to see how the north downtown area will look in 5 years.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
That view of the building looks better, but the view facing 480 looks pretty basic. Hopefully they can design a little more aesthetics to other buildings that go up in this development.
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Council Bluffs
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Brad wrote: ↑Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 pm
thenewguy wrote: ↑Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:48 pm i thought they were going to have some exposed elements though?
You can see the timbers through the window, around the entrance, and inside the main lobby. Its technically a "Hybrid mass timber building" so there are not a ton of timbers in there.
very good, thank you!
Go Cubs Go
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:55 pm
I used to work at Kiewit and had a great view of downtown. This going up obscured that view for the most part which for the cube land that Kiewit became made it a little more sad. Seeing snow and thunderstorms roll over downtown was quite beautiful, but corporate life dictates we keep our heads down on our work.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4703
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
ULI is doing a (paid) tour of the Builder's District and the CLT building

https://kansascity.uli.org/events/detai ... 20District
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ita
County Board
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
This is from April's MECA meeting minutes, per Jay Noddle:
Mike Fahey Street will officially be a major east/west bike route from Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge expansion (commonly referred to as the “Baby Bob”) through the Creighton University Campus. There is funding available for certain pieces of that, and the City is starting to make arrangements with private property owners along the street.
I know we've already started seeing that on the west side of campus. I wonder what that looks like through the Builder's District to Baby Bob. I would hope dedicated and/or protected bike lanes.
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:16 am
I saw that construction has started for a new Orange Leaf Yogurt shop opening in one of the retail bays next to Burger theory in the Holiday inn.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4703
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
BIGO88 wrote: ↑Mon May 27, 2024 3:14 pm I saw that construction has started for a new Orange Leaf Yogurt shop opening in one of the retail bays next to Burger theory in the Holiday inn.
Yeah I saw that the other day too. Surprised to see a frozen yogurt place expanding haha
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11634
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
I remember when Red Mango was over by the baseball stadium when it first opened.
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 7:48 pm
Location: Midtown Omaha
User avatar
Renovator2559
Human Relations
It's an "interesting" building, the cream colored walls are glossy rather than matte. Even the alternating blacks are glossy. It does look more like a hospital.

Image

Image

Image

What I find the most impressive are the sidewalks in the Kiewit areas are nicely landscaped. That includes the existing and the new building.

Image
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
ita
County Board
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Per Jay's real estate report at MECA's September meeting, the office building is 45% committed. I haven't seen any new signage yet, so I wonder who the user(s) will be.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036589
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
ita wrote: ↑Wed Nov 06, 2024 5:06 pm Per Jay's real estate report at MECA's September meeting, the office building is 45% committed. I haven't seen any new signage yet, so I wonder who the user(s) will be.
Only 2 building permits so far. "The Root Coworking" and "Fly Fitness".
ita
County Board
Posts: 4749
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Brad wrote: ↑Wed Nov 06, 2024 5:25 pm
ita wrote: ↑Wed Nov 06, 2024 5:06 pm Per Jay's real estate report at MECA's September meeting, the office building is 45% committed. I haven't seen any new signage yet, so I wonder who the user(s) will be.
Only 2 building permits so far. "The Root Coworking" and "Fly Fitness".
This is from the minutes:
The Builder’s District office building is complete and about 45% committed. There is a fitness operator new to Omaha, three restaurants and bars going in. The supporting parking structure will start construction in the spring.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm
Location: Dundee
Is that the garage under the residential here?

Image
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036589
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:03 am
Location: Omaha, NE
Sam Noddle announced on Grow Omaha this morning that Noddle Companies is leaving Aksarben and going to the Mass Timber building at 1501 Mike Fahey.
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:16 am
Ground Floor Guitars has moved from Blackstone and is now sharing a space with Forged Wood Works in the Automatic Printing building at 1715 Cuming St.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4703
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
Stothert confirmed in her exit interview with Becka that the Builders District is working on getting a grocery store, and she more or less said they had a brand they were working with.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:16 am
Saw this article mentions a new to market Bodega that is going in here.

https://www.costar.com/article/52100154 ... s-district
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4703
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
Another new rendering from Creighton’s Fly Together announcement.

Image
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
PWL73316
Library Board
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 am
All these renderings are old, obviously - but where would a 12-story hotel be?
jjjjhskr
Human Relations
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: O!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations
Image
Back Home in Omaha!
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4703
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
PWL73316 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 18, 2025 9:06 pm All these renderings are old, obviously - but where would a 12-story hotel be?
This is actually the 3rd? version of this rendering. It’s changed a decent amount from the one up thread even
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
F0R_L1F3
Home Owners Association
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:24 am
F0R_L1F3
Home Owners Association
Got another photo.
Image
PWL73316
Library Board
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 am
I want to believe in the 12 story hotel but I'm beginning to think it was probably garbled by Creighton somehow.
BIGO88
Library Board
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:16 am
I saw on one of the hurdatt videos talking about this project they mentioned the hotel is going to be a Marriott Tribute brand.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: O!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations
PWL73316 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 19, 2025 2:31 pm I want to believe in the 12 story hotel but I'm beginning to think it was probably garbled by Creighton somehow.
Not sure what you mean by “garbled.” Creighton wants this hotel to get completed.
Back Home in Omaha!
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106380
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
almighty_tuna
City Council
BIGO88 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 19, 2025 6:38 pm going to be a Marriott Tribute brand.
Ah, so it won't be the greatest hotel in the world?
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:02 pm
Location: Papillion, Omaha, and Everything in Between
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association
almighty_tuna wrote: ↑Fri Sep 19, 2025 8:27 pm
BIGO88 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 19, 2025 6:38 pm going to be a Marriott Tribute brand.
Ah, so it won't be the greatest hotel in the world?
Nope. Just a tribute to the greatest hotel in the world. :lol:
PWL73316
Library Board
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 am
jjjjhskr wrote: ↑Fri Sep 19, 2025 8:07 pm
PWL73316 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 19, 2025 2:31 pm I want to believe in the 12 story hotel but I'm beginning to think it was probably garbled by Creighton somehow.
Not sure what you mean by “garbled.” Creighton wants this hotel to get completed.
There will be a hotel but no renderings have it over, like, six or seven stories.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4703
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 am
Location: New York City
A lot of these renderings could still be placeholders. I think we should just wait until we have a more in depth announcement before passing too many judgements. This is an ambitious expansion to a rising neighborhood.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10818
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
Looks like they are working on the parking garage between 18th and 17th right now. Getting a nice hotel and that many apts along with all the Millwork development will really help the daily activity in North Downtown.

I was skeptical of the Trader Joe's rumor in the first place, but if they had that in the works I would imagine that would have been mentioned in this press release.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10818
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Chicago
Brad wrote: ↑Sun Dec 22, 2024 3:53 am Sam Noddle announced on Grow Omaha this morning that Noddle Companies is leaving Aksarben and going to the Mass Timber building at 1501 Mike Fahey.
I think they got a lease signed for the whole 4th floor. I haven't figured out the tenant yet.