Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
That is too bad. Nick is a good guy. I hope he lands on his feet.
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
I agree. Unsportsmanlike Conduct has become almost unlistenable to me. I wish 590 had a better alternative in that timeframe.nebugeater wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2024 6:03 amThat's too bad.
The contract that they should not renew is Josh Peterson IMO
Sharp and Handley was probably my all time favorite duo for Omaha sports radio.
Greg
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
One thing I’ve noticed and don’t quite understand is when listening to Connor Happer’s show and Unsportsmanlike Conduct, there seems to be almost a disdain for Nebraska fans. They will take almost any opportunity to mock or talk down fan sentiment. It’s a weird dynamic and has made me listen far less.
Also Unsportsmanlike Conduct’s producer doesn’t know anything about sports, appears to be incompetent at his job, and gets awkwardly upset during the show.
Also Unsportsmanlike Conduct’s producer doesn’t know anything about sports, appears to be incompetent at his job, and gets awkwardly upset during the show.
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Yeah at times Unsportsmanlike Conduct becomes unlistenable to me. It seemed to start with John Bishop once he became a Creighton play by play. He seems to go overboard at times to make sure Creighton fans think of him as one of them. He never acknowledges anymore he is a UNL alum, and worked on their play by play.Linkin5 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2024 2:07 pm One thing I’ve noticed and don’t quite understand is when listening to Connor Happer’s show and Unsportsmanlike Conduct, there seems to be almost a disdain for Nebraska fans. They will take almost any opportunity to mock or talk down fan sentiment. It’s a weird dynamic and has made me listen far less.
Also Unsportsmanlike Conduct’s producer doesn’t know anything about sports, appears to be incompetent at his job, and gets awkwardly upset during the show.
I thought Sharp and Handley had the most balanced team/show on 1620.
Honestly something seems off on this whole thing. I think we learn a lot when Handley's replacement gets named. Can't imagine this move was made by the higher ups without a replacement in the wings.
Greg
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
Best replacements, in my opinion, would be have their producer Jimmy just be co-host as he’s very knowledgeable, or bring in Mike Schaefer.Greg S wrote: ↑Thu Nov 21, 2024 8:12 amYeah at times Unsportsmanlike Conduct becomes unlistenable to me. It seemed to start with John Bishop once he became a Creighton play by play. He seems to go overboard at times to make sure Creighton fans think of him as one of them. He never acknowledges anymore he is a UNL alum, and worked on their play by play.Linkin5 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2024 2:07 pm One thing I’ve noticed and don’t quite understand is when listening to Connor Happer’s show and Unsportsmanlike Conduct, there seems to be almost a disdain for Nebraska fans. They will take almost any opportunity to mock or talk down fan sentiment. It’s a weird dynamic and has made me listen far less.
Also Unsportsmanlike Conduct’s producer doesn’t know anything about sports, appears to be incompetent at his job, and gets awkwardly upset during the show.
I thought Sharp and Handley had the most balanced team/show on 1620.
Honestly something seems off on this whole thing. I think we learn a lot when Handley's replacement gets named. Can't imagine this move was made by the higher ups without a replacement in the wings.
Greg
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
I wonder if it wasn't a cost cutting measure. If Garry does a solo show with Jimmy chiming in, they save a whole salary. Most businesses, the #1 expense is employees.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Gary seemed to indicate he wasn't going to be a solo host long term at the opening of the show where he announced the change. He also seemed quite upset about the move. I didn't realize he'd been friends with Nick for so long.
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Interesting. It just makes no sense.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
As Nebraska has struggled, fan sentiment has often become a bizarre insulated echo chamber. I can't even imagine hosting a radio show in this state over the last 10-15 years. It's all finger pointing, talking about stuff that happened 15 years ago, Needing a "Nebraska guy", etc. Having listened to local sports radio off and on, I can see why the hosts become jaded and talk down to Nebraska fans. It has all become a giant group therapy session with tons of really flawed logic and poor takes.Linkin5 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2024 2:07 pm One thing I’ve noticed and don’t quite understand is when listening to Connor Happer’s show and Unsportsmanlike Conduct, there seems to be almost a disdain for Nebraska fans. They will take almost any opportunity to mock or talk down fan sentiment. It’s a weird dynamic and has made me listen far less.
Also Unsportsmanlike Conduct’s producer doesn’t know anything about sports, appears to be incompetent at his job, and gets awkwardly upset during the show.
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
I can definitely agree to a certain point, every fanbase including Nebraska has miserable fans that are difficult to deal with. The legion of Frost fans to the very end were some of the worst and I can see how having a radio show during that time would be miserable.omaha79 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 22, 2024 8:28 amAs Nebraska has struggled, fan sentiment has often become a bizarre insulated echo chamber. I can't even imagine hosting a radio show in this state over the last 10-15 years. It's all finger pointing, talking about stuff that happened 15 years ago, Needing a "Nebraska guy", etc. Having listened to local sports radio off and on, I can see why the hosts become jaded and talk down to Nebraska fans. It has all become a giant group therapy session with tons of really flawed logic and poor takes.Linkin5 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2024 2:07 pm One thing I’ve noticed and don’t quite understand is when listening to Connor Happer’s show and Unsportsmanlike Conduct, there seems to be almost a disdain for Nebraska fans. They will take almost any opportunity to mock or talk down fan sentiment. It’s a weird dynamic and has made me listen far less.
Also Unsportsmanlike Conduct’s producer doesn’t know anything about sports, appears to be incompetent at his job, and gets awkwardly upset during the show.
I was thinking of times when fan opinions weren’t very hot take or extreme. Here’s some examples:
-Last year when Jeff Sims was turning it over fans wanted Heinrich Haarberg in, Unsportsmanlike Conduct made some comments alluding to people wanting him because he was white and local.
-Unsportsmanlike Conduct mocking people and telling them not to complain about games on Peacock. Which is funny, because their entire show is complaining.
-they were recently making fun of fans criticizing Satterfield, stating that they thought fans wanted to pay coaches more.
There are more, and I’m sure more I’ve missed as I don’t listen as much as I used to. They just seem like they’re annoyed and don't enjoy doing the show, which isn’t enjoyable.
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
So the other thing about Nick's departure that stuck me as odd today... Gary is the Play by play for Omaha Basketball. He's gone a lot this time of year...

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
Human Relations
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:39 pm
Yeah I thought about that too. Nick was so good about leading the show when Gary was gone. It's why it so critical to have a good co-host.
Home Owners Association
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:21 am
Nick was great at having the all around knowledge. He could talk high school to the pro's and liked to keep it to sports. The Husker Radio Network needs to pick him up now that he can do Husker baseball again. He would be great fit for other sports of theirs.
Why is there still a mail bag and movie segment on a sports station? I would rather listen to high school basketball talk that I have almost no interest in.
Why is there still a mail bag and movie segment on a sports station? I would rather listen to high school basketball talk that I have almost no interest in.
City Council
Posts: 110957
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
The afternoon slot for Unsportman-like Conduct spends more time talking about non-sports than sports anymore. I find myself listening less and less all the time, and it used to be daily for at least an hour for me.Trips1 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 25, 2024 12:14 pm Nick was great at having the all around knowledge. He could talk high school to the pro's and liked to keep it to sports. The Husker Radio Network needs to pick him up now that he can do Husker baseball again. He would be great fit for other sports of theirs.
Why is there still a mail bag and movie segment on a sports station? I would rather listen to high school basketball talk that I have almost no interest in.
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
Why is there also a segment telling people what is on cable television at night?Trips1 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 25, 2024 12:14 pm Nick was great at having the all around knowledge. He could talk high school to the pro's and liked to keep it to sports. The Husker Radio Network needs to pick him up now that he can do Husker baseball again. He would be great fit for other sports of theirs.
Why is there still a mail bag and movie segment on a sports station? I would rather listen to high school basketball talk that I have almost no interest in.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm
It's miserable all around. then you have the fans who call in and say...Linkin5 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 22, 2024 12:19 pmI can definitely agree to a certain point, every fanbase including Nebraska has miserable fans that are difficult to deal with. The legion of Frost fans to the very end were some of the worst and I can see how having a radio show during that time would be miserable.omaha79 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 22, 2024 8:28 amAs Nebraska has struggled, fan sentiment has often become a bizarre insulated echo chamber. I can't even imagine hosting a radio show in this state over the last 10-15 years. It's all finger pointing, talking about stuff that happened 15 years ago, Needing a "Nebraska guy", etc. Having listened to local sports radio off and on, I can see why the hosts become jaded and talk down to Nebraska fans. It has all become a giant group therapy session with tons of really flawed logic and poor takes.Linkin5 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 20, 2024 2:07 pm One thing I’ve noticed and don’t quite understand is when listening to Connor Happer’s show and Unsportsmanlike Conduct, there seems to be almost a disdain for Nebraska fans. They will take almost any opportunity to mock or talk down fan sentiment. It’s a weird dynamic and has made me listen far less.
Also Unsportsmanlike Conduct’s producer doesn’t know anything about sports, appears to be incompetent at his job, and gets awkwardly upset during the show.
I was thinking of times when fan opinions weren’t very hot take or extreme. Here’s some examples:
-Last year when Jeff Sims was turning it over fans wanted Heinrich Haarberg in, Unsportsmanlike Conduct made some comments alluding to people wanting him because he was white and local.
-Unsportsmanlike Conduct mocking people and telling them not to complain about games on Peacock. Which is funny, because their entire show is complaining.
-they were recently making fun of fans criticizing Satterfield, stating that they thought fans wanted to pay coaches more.
There are more, and I’m sure more I’ve missed as I don’t listen as much as I used to. They just seem like they’re annoyed and don't enjoy doing the show, which isn’t enjoyable.
"Tom didn't win a championship until he was the coach for 20 years. We got to give these guys more time. You can't expect a guy to come in and win in his first 4 years." (when coaches turn programs around in less time than that, and Tom finished in the top 10 each of his first 5 seasons).
The incessant need by the fanbase to look at everything Nebraska football through the lens of "what would Tom have done" or "how did we treat Tom", is damaging.
People act like Tom was just the coach not so long ago. Tom has now not been the coach longer than he was the head coach. Let that sink in. Combine that with constant relitigation of firing of Frank Solich....over 20 years ago, and Bo Pelini over 10 years ago now. The fanbase is just a disaster menatlly.
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Anyone have any thoughts on who might join Gary. My dark horse candidate is Mike'L. He left 1620 to go work for the City of Papillion and is no longer there. He is now Executive Director of the Jet Awards Foundation. I wonder if that's a full time gig.
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Well we should know the new co host at this time next Monday. Gary said on the show that this is the last week of the Gary Sharp Show.
City Council
Posts: 110957
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
No. He stated that once they let Nick Handley go, the show had to have a name, so they decided on The Gary Sharp Show. He emphasized that would be a temporary name until they got everything settled.
City Council
Posts: 110957
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Greg S wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2024 10:14 amNo. He stated that once they let Nick Handley go, the show had to have a name, so they decided on The Gary Sharp Show. He emphasized that would be a temporary name until they got everything settled.
Thanks
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
My money is on Mike'L or Jon Shriner. Long shots are either the producer on the show now (can't remember his name) or Josh from Connor's show.nebugeater wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2024 12:46 pmGreg S wrote: ↑Mon Dec 02, 2024 10:14 amNo. He stated that once they let Nick Handley go, the show had to have a name, so they decided on The Gary Sharp Show. He emphasized that would be a temporary name until they got everything settled.
Thanks
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Sounds like we find out tomorrow who the new cohost with Gary is. Also sounds like it's someone that regularly appears on Thursdays....
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
They will announce the new cohost at 9AM today.
City Council
Posts: 110957
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Matt McMaster is the new cohost. Gary and Matt Show.
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1321
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
McMaster worked at 1620's sister station, 1400 in Lincoln, while an undergrad at NU. Presuming that some bigwig with the station's ownership group (NRG) wanted to bring him back now that he's graduated.
Sadly, it's looking like a buddy hire. Maybe some chemistry will develop, but Nick Handley was a better choice.
Handley did get reconnected with Lincoln, and will be doing Husker baseball this spring and filling in on the network. That's a good move for Nebraska's radio network.
Sadly, it's looking like a buddy hire. Maybe some chemistry will develop, but Nick Handley was a better choice.
Handley did get reconnected with Lincoln, and will be doing Husker baseball this spring and filling in on the network. That's a good move for Nebraska's radio network.
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
I'm not sure it's a buddy hire as much as a cost savings one. I am sure with him just graduating and such his salary is much lower than what Nick's was.HskrFanMike wrote: ↑Sat Jan 25, 2025 10:33 pm McMaster worked at 1620's sister station, 1400 in Lincoln, while an undergrad at NU. Presuming that some bigwig with the station's ownership group (NRG) wanted to bring him back now that he's graduated.
Sadly, it's looking like a buddy hire. Maybe some chemistry will develop, but Nick Handley was a better choice.
Handley did get reconnected with Lincoln, and will be doing Husker baseball this spring and filling in on the network. That's a good move for Nebraska's radio network.
I do agree though Nick Handley was much better. That being said this show is still vastly superior to USC in the afternoon. Mostly based on the strength of Gary Sharp. Also though, I can barely tolerate John Bishop anymore, and he doesn't have a tolerable cohost in Josh Peterson. I have listened to that show daily, since the beginning with Kevin and Bob. Now, I go days in a row without listening and rarely can take more than a segment or two (and might commute is often 45 minutes or more).
Greg
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
It looks like the Hurrdat Radio Show (Ravi Lulla and Damon Benning) that's been on 590 is going to digital, and if I am interpreting this correctly, won't be on 590AM any more:
City Council
Posts: 110957
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Technically not sport radio, but didn't want to start a new thread. Did a vote, and it was 1-0 that this thread was close enough.
Kent Pavelka posted on his Facebook about an hour ago that Lee Barfknecht and his wife are moving to Boston.
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/16YrkPCkVF/
Kent Pavelka posted on his Facebook about an hour ago that Lee Barfknecht and his wife are moving to Boston.
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/16YrkPCkVF/
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
Library Board
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am
Presumably to follow Nebraska's budding football rivalry with Boston College?nebugeater wrote: ↑Tue May 27, 2025 2:29 pm Kent Pavelka posted on his Facebook about an hour ago that Lee Barfknecht and his wife are moving to Boston.
Human Relations
Posts: 543
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area
Interesting.... Husker sports will now be on 97.3 FM and 1490 AM (Boomer radio stations).
https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/footba ... 05b1a.html
https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/footba ... 05b1a.html
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
I will miss them on 590. Has a strong signal.jag42 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 01, 2025 5:40 pm Interesting.... Husker sports will now be on 97.3 FM and 1490 AM (Boomer radio stations).
https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/footba ... 05b1a.html
City Council
Posts: 110957
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
I have read on another board that 590 didn't want to renew due to all the Coverage required. KFAB was not interested; 1620 is with the Jays. It doesn't leave a lot of options.jag42 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 01, 2025 5:40 pm Interesting.... Husker sports will now be on 97.3 FM and 1490 AM (Boomer radio stations).
https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/footba ... 05b1a.html
Not sure of this is all accurate or not so who knows.
What I have looked for is the length of the contract, and have not found anything. Wondering if this is a stop-gap fix or long-term
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
I didn't even know 97.3 existed until the other day. Every station was on a commercial break and I used the scan button on my radio to try and find something. My old car didn't get the second and third digital stations like the new one does.jag42 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 01, 2025 5:40 pm Interesting.... Husker sports will now be on 97.3 FM and 1490 AM (Boomer radio stations).
https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/footba ... 05b1a.html
Speaking of sports radio, Jim Rome is not on the air in Omaha anymore. I don't listen to him like I did back in the day, but when I do, listen on my computer. The other day when I was in my car, they had some other show on.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
nebugeater wrote: ↑Wed Jul 02, 2025 9:40 amI have read on another board that 590 didn't want to renew due to all the Coverage required. KFAB was not interested; 1620 is with the Jays. It doesn't leave a lot of options.jag42 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 01, 2025 5:40 pm Interesting.... Husker sports will now be on 97.3 FM and 1490 AM (Boomer radio stations).
https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/footba ... 05b1a.html
Not sure of this is all accurate or not so who knows.
What I have looked for is the length of the contract, and have not found anything. Wondering if this is a stop-gap fix or long-term
The World Herald article says the contract if for 5 years.
Human Relations
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:39 pm
So there are some big changes happening at 1620. First it looks (or should I say sounds), like the Zone 2 is no more. 1180 is now Yacht Rock.
Also just heard today is the last day of the Connor Happer show. He did say when he announced it that both he and Josh Odson are both staying at 1620. Will be interesting to see what the lineup looks like next week.
Also just heard today is the last day of the Connor Happer show. He did say when he announced it that both he and Josh Odson are both staying at 1620. Will be interesting to see what the lineup looks like next week.
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Is 1620 taking over 101.9 the Keg on a full time basis.OmahaRedWing wrote: ↑Fri Jan 09, 2026 1:50 pm So there are some big changes happening at 1620. First it looks (or should I say sounds), like the Zone 2 is no more. 1180 is now Yacht Rock.
Hope they don't mess with too much, I like all three shows.OmahaRedWing wrote: ↑Fri Jan 09, 2026 1:50 pm Also just heard today is the last day of the Connor Happer show. He did say when he announced it that both he and Josh Odson are both staying at 1620. Will be interesting to see what the lineup looks like next week.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
City Council
Posts: 110957
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
Mike Schaefer joins 1620, and he and Connor Happer are the new morning show from 6 - 10 AM
https://1620thezone.com/happerschaefer/
From the website, it looks like Matt McMaster will be on 10-2 with Josh Odson
https://1620thezone.com/middayswithmatt/
See no mention of Gary Sharp
https://1620thezone.com/happerschaefer/
From the website, it looks like Matt McMaster will be on 10-2 with Josh Odson
https://1620thezone.com/middayswithmatt/
See no mention of Gary Sharp
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!