nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2804
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102
I think this will tilt the scales for some grocery component at one of the Duo spaces. And even more so if the OPPD rumors come to fruition. Of course the proximity to the Civic site doesn't hurt either but no one is expecting anything to happen there in the foreseeable future.
jomaha9
Home Owners Association
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:34 pm
nebport5 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2024 11:12 am I think this will tilt the scales for some grocery component at one of the Duo spaces. And even more so if the OPPD rumors come to fruition. Of course the proximity to the Civic site doesn't hurt either but no one is expecting anything to happen there in the foreseeable future.
Good take. The first two floors of FNBO main bank are very large and there is a loading dock on 17th street. This building could also have a grocery store and might be more viable than the Duo
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2804
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102
jomaha9 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2024 12:18 pm
nebport5 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2024 11:12 am I think this will tilt the scales for some grocery component at one of the Duo spaces. And even more so if the OPPD rumors come to fruition. Of course the proximity to the Civic site doesn't hurt either but no one is expecting anything to happen there in the foreseeable future.
Good take. The first two floors of FNBO main bank are very large and there is a loading dock on 17th street. This building could also have a grocery store and might be more viable than the Duo
And presumedly plenty of adjacent parking here. I was particularly thinking of Noddle's quote about "being on track" for two smaller stores which I would prefer over one bigger store.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4937
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee
nebport5 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2024 12:50 pm
jomaha9 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2024 12:18 pm
nebport5 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2024 11:12 am I think this will tilt the scales for some grocery component at one of the Duo spaces. And even more so if the OPPD rumors come to fruition. Of course the proximity to the Civic site doesn't hurt either but no one is expecting anything to happen there in the foreseeable future.
Good take. The first two floors of FNBO main bank are very large and there is a loading dock on 17th street. This building could also have a grocery store and might be more viable than the Duo
And presumedly plenty of adjacent parking here. I was particularly thinking of Noddle's quote about "being on track" for two smaller stores which I would prefer over one bigger store.
Agreed, two smaller stores is a better footprint for covering all of the areas of downtown.
Ben
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Westside
remline wrote: ↑Thu Dec 12, 2024 10:41 am If you have a library card, you can access the Omaha World-Herald via the library's Newspapers, Magazines & Journals website.
THANK YOU! I've been looking for a way around the OWH paywall for a while now, and had never heard of the library route. Some great access here to the OWH and other key sites. Much appreciated. :D :clap:
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
https://omaha.com/news/local/business/a ... -top-story

Work starting this summer, now expecting “around 320” apartments
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Cruiseguy
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE
Garrett wrote: ↑Tue Mar 18, 2025 7:42 am https://omaha.com/news/local/business/a ... -top-story

Work starting this summer, now expecting “around 320” apartments
Have there been any updates on this project?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Cruiseguy wrote: ↑Mon Feb 02, 2026 2:47 pm Have there been any updates on this project?
Its not dead, still alive and in the works.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Glad to hear!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
I saw that there is fencing on Dodge st right outside the building. Is that for construction for the apt conversion?
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm
Glad it’s getting a new purpose. Omahas best example of international style 1970’s highrise.
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1231
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha
It appears they’re preparing for either a tower crane or a construction elevator. A section of granite at street level has been removed as well as a corresponding removal of granite a little higher up, both about the width of a tower crane.
bldgengineer2015
Home Owners Association
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 am
bldgengineer2015
Home Owners Association
GenX wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 5:00 am It appears they’re preparing for either a tower crane or a construction elevator. A section of granite at street level has been removed as well as a corresponding removal of granite a little higher up, both about the width of a tower crane.
It is a construction elevator.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
Surprised there hasn't been more info about this starting, either via a planning board doc or permits. I'd imagine they'd be asking for TIF.

Edit: Construction permits were actually filed in January, noting that the building will be renovated into 294 market rate apartments with a $16.75 million budget

https://aca-prod.accela.com/OMAHA/Cap/C ... nspection=
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm
We were in the building the other day and it felt like the construction is well underway.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Photo Update

1.
20260605881A7084.jpg
2.
20260605881A7085.jpg
.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
Doing some searching today and found that Omaha Exploration (who I believe is a member here?) has an article about the complex back in 2024 that had a 1968 rendering for the complex that looks a bit different from what we got

https://omahaexploration.com/2024/12/12 ... al-center/

Image
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm
Just looking at the picture Brad took the building seems to be in good shape for its age. If it was one floor taller we would have had another 300 footer. It’s a nice looking building from the late 60’s early 70’s era.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Cermak wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2026 9:25 am Just looking at the picture Brad took the building seems to be in good shape for its age. If it was one floor taller we would have had another 300 footer. It’s a nice looking building from the late 60’s early 70’s era.
There was a time I thought the buildings (FNBO and Double Tree) were ugly, but they have really grown on my. I do think the north side of the double tree needs an update, especially at street level. Not to brag on my on photo, but that photo from the other day really made them look good!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
I agree, that is a nice photo and made the buildings look as good as I've seen them. I would still like to see the glass in FNBO replaced, but otherwise they look great in that photo.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2026 10:38 am I agree, that is a nice photo and made the buildings look as good as I've seen them. I would still like to see the glass in FNBO replaced, but otherwise they look great in that photo.
Yeah I'm curious what the plans for the glass are given that they'll need to have windows that can open for the conversion
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11632
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Garrett wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2026 10:49 am
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2026 10:38 am I agree, that is a nice photo and made the buildings look as good as I've seen them. I would still like to see the glass in FNBO replaced, but otherwise they look great in that photo.
Yeah I'm curious what the plans for the glass are given that they'll need to have windows that can open for the conversion
The building permit states some details, but I am not sure on the extent of window replacement:
Replacement of spandrel glass with vision glass in selected locations
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2026 11:11 am
Garrett wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2026 10:49 am
skinzfan23 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2026 10:38 am I agree, that is a nice photo and made the buildings look as good as I've seen them. I would still like to see the glass in FNBO replaced, but otherwise they look great in that photo.
Yeah I'm curious what the plans for the glass are given that they'll need to have windows that can open for the conversion
The building permit states some details, but I am not sure on the extent of window replacement:
Replacement of spandrel glass with vision glass in selected locations
Looking at the Duo, it looks like they replaced the panes there completely (At least based on the finished south tower vs under construction north tower in streetview)

Image
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Garrett wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2026 12:36 pm Looking at the Duo, it looks like they replaced the panes there completely (At least based on the finished south tower vs under construction north tower in streetview)
Yeah, window technology has gotten a lot better since the 1970's. Im sure the old windows in both buildings are super drafty. I work in a building nearly the same age as the duo and you can hear the wind whistling through the windows on a strong north wind day.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10815
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago
Not sure if we have a dedicated thread for that property but NuStyle just closed on the parking garage directly west of this tower. The one with the ramp on the outside of the structure. I’d imagine they will use it for tenants here.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
iamjacobm wrote: ↑Thu Jun 11, 2026 2:04 pm Not sure if we have a dedicated thread for that property but NuStyle just closed on the parking garage directly west of this tower. The one with the ramp on the outside of the structure. I’d imagine they will use it for tenants here.
According to its assessor page it has 672 spaces and a tunnel connecting it to FNBO. Good call. I imagine they could use the extra spaces for their other developments in the area as well.

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Applic ... 0308120007
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City
Doing some poking around in building permits again today and this development appears to now have a name: The Ledger Apartments
OMA-->CHI-->NYC