skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2024 2:37 pm
Wow, didn't expect to see snow this morning....there was absolutely no mention on any forecast, but here in Bellevue there was a huge burst of snow coming down, only for a short while but the streets have a coating on them, which is more than we have had all season in Bellevue.
Interesting. Apparently just enough lift to get some snowflakes in that area instead of only fog.
Yeah its all completely melted now, but that was definitely more than just flurries. It looked really pretty for a while though and I am working from home, so it was nice to see.
I bet, especially this time of year (obviously).
I wonder if what you experienced has anything to do with that power plant not far form Bellevue? I'm honestly not sure if they still use that power plant but I know if conditions are right and you're downstream from the direction the steam is blowing, it can create a narrow swath of snow in that area. I'm not saying this is what happened - but maybe?
The National Weather Service Omaha/Valley office reported today that Lincoln has gone an all time record of longest number of days between receiving measurable snow of even one inch. It’s up to 341 days and counting since Lincoln’s last snowfall.
nativeomahan wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2024 7:38 pm
The National Weather Service Omaha/Valley office reported today that Lincoln has gone an all time record of longest number of days between receiving measurable snow of even one inch. It’s up to 341 days and counting since Lincoln’s last snowfall.
That's pretty crazy - some chance that'll change early next with with a clipper system moving through (depending on temp) - could be some accumulating snow in parts of the area though "probably" minor accumulations if anything at all. Hard to say yet though.
Pretty amazing, we have basically no snow so far this winter and December is almost over. I actually wouldn’t mind like an inch to cover all the brown landscape. Looks like some cooler more seasonal weather next week.
Even though we had a few cold snaps sprinkled in, it's not like it was trend breaking. It's still been relatively warm, and mother nature knows it. Grass is still green, and I'm not so sure as we turn the calendar, that there'll be much, if any time left for things to really go dormant.
Should be some decent rain tomorrow afternoon into tomorrow overnight that changes to some snow in our area. Minor accumulations of snow will be possible - especially northwest of Omaha where it’ll be slightly colder.
Then attention will turn to “maybe” our first bigger winter storm next weekend into early the following week. Plenty of time for things to change but potential anyway.
I'm becoming increasingly confident that we will wake up tomorrow to at least some snow accumulation on the ground here in the Omaha area.
I realize the official forecast calls for "little or no accumulation expected" currently but I believe we will have at least an inch on the ground in Omaha (possibly two) and some pockets of heavier totals in parts of the area - possibly in the 3"-5" of snow range which IMO continues to be most likely in the Columbus to Fremont area where temps will be slightly colder so snow will accumulate faster. Roads should "hopefully" remain warm enough to avoid any major slick spots but it'll be possible for the morning commute - otherwise grassy areas will get most of the snow accumulation IMO.
These are the latest depicted snow totals for the area based on the 12z HRRR (which is the most recent model update). It's likely overdoing these totals due to the fact it'll be rain before changing to snow during the overnight so at least some of the snow will melt as it falls initially which is something models don't really do a good job of factoring in when depicting snow totals. Regardless, at least an inch of snow in Omaha itself seems plausible IMO.
Still on track for a bigger winter storm this coming weekend/early the following week followed by what could be a substantial shot of cold arctic air behind it where highs may not get much above zero (if at all) for a few days and lows in the -15 to -20 range. Nothing unusual for January but still a pretty drastic change compared to what we've had so far anyway.
Cermak wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2024 1:59 am
The rain is switching over to snow now, about 8pm.
The snow has switched back to rain. At least in SW Omaha.
Yep, unexpectedly it warmed up a couple of degrees during the overnight and basically eliminated any chance for accumulating snow in our area.
I'm not complaining though.
I wouldn’t have minded maybe a half inch on the grass for something new to look at. But we should get some measurable snow very soon along with cold temps. Winter has arrived it looks like. Another mild almost snowless December in the books.