2025 Omaha Mayoral election
-
skip
- Library Board
- Posts: 277
- Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm
- Location: Midtown
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Since I don't know much about politics and the Mayor's powers, I need to ask this question.
If McDonnell somehow gets nominated, could he alone actually stop the streetcar project? makes me nervous since he is very anti-transit.
If McDonnell somehow gets nominated, could he alone actually stop the streetcar project? makes me nervous since he is very anti-transit.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I don't have the answer for you, but from what I understand, everything is go, there is no way to cancel it now. I hope that is the case.skip wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2025 12:45 pm Since I don't know much about politics and the Mayor's powers, I need to ask this question.
If McDonnell somehow gets nominated, could he alone actually stop the streetcar project? makes me nervous since he is very anti-transit.
I just don't really understand what other premise he is running on other than public safety, which is important, but I don't want to see the huge strides that Stothert has made with development, go to waste.
-
Renovator2559
- Human Relations
- Posts: 952
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
There are some people that wear rose-tinted lenses, that somehow believe that transit is mainly the answer to a vibrant city, while ignoring all the other aspects that make a city stable. Like safety, crime, cleanliness, business friendliness, trust within the community.
Look at Portland, its a slightly larger city than Omaha. They have multimodal transit and walkable neighborhoods. Yet the city is now deemed unsafe, not business friendly and the city is filled with empty blocks of storefronts. Yes their is some improvement but overall the city is struggling.
Portland went from
being one of the fastest growing cities in 2019
to being the 6th fastest shrinking us city, has the
highest commercial vacancy rate in the country as
businesses flee, and the 2nd highest tax rate in the
country in 2024.
This tour of Portland downtown looks surreal, so many empty, closed storefronts. Not even close to the vibrancy and activity that it once had in the 90s.
The comments are rife with Portland residents saying how bad Portland has declined and how Portland is not the nice city it once was in the 90s. Some even complain on how the last 3 Portland mayors have done their part in destroying Portland.
Of course according to Pew Research from 2014, Omaha is one of the top most conservative big cities in the US and for Portland, I think we know where it is politically and how they are doing.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... ig-cities/
Mayor Jean Stothert has balanced safety, business friendliness, incurred trust in the community to the point of private donors funding multiple projects, is a big proponent of the streetcar, has reduced crime in our city by a lot, by increasing funding of the police and has repaired roads and potholes well.
I wouldn't want Mayor Jean Stothert's and her talented team that she hired and efforts to go to waste.
Mayor Jean Stothert demonstrated that her and her team could navigate the hard times and even prosper, during the pandemic and through the mismanagement of the country in the last 4 years.
Meanwhile most of the US cities suffered and lost their mojo (typical suspect cities), but Omaha did very well as data shows and all the many stats that Omaha outperforms. Thanks to our competent mayor and her team.
Look at Portland, its a slightly larger city than Omaha. They have multimodal transit and walkable neighborhoods. Yet the city is now deemed unsafe, not business friendly and the city is filled with empty blocks of storefronts. Yes their is some improvement but overall the city is struggling.
Portland went from
being one of the fastest growing cities in 2019
to being the 6th fastest shrinking us city, has the
highest commercial vacancy rate in the country as
businesses flee, and the 2nd highest tax rate in the
country in 2024.
This tour of Portland downtown looks surreal, so many empty, closed storefronts. Not even close to the vibrancy and activity that it once had in the 90s.
The comments are rife with Portland residents saying how bad Portland has declined and how Portland is not the nice city it once was in the 90s. Some even complain on how the last 3 Portland mayors have done their part in destroying Portland.
Of course according to Pew Research from 2014, Omaha is one of the top most conservative big cities in the US and for Portland, I think we know where it is politically and how they are doing.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... ig-cities/
Mayor Jean Stothert has balanced safety, business friendliness, incurred trust in the community to the point of private donors funding multiple projects, is a big proponent of the streetcar, has reduced crime in our city by a lot, by increasing funding of the police and has repaired roads and potholes well.
I wouldn't want Mayor Jean Stothert's and her talented team that she hired and efforts to go to waste.
Mayor Jean Stothert demonstrated that her and her team could navigate the hard times and even prosper, during the pandemic and through the mismanagement of the country in the last 4 years.
Meanwhile most of the US cities suffered and lost their mojo (typical suspect cities), but Omaha did very well as data shows and all the many stats that Omaha outperforms. Thanks to our competent mayor and her team.
Home sweet, home...Omaha!
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4694
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
-
HskrFanMike
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Former mayors Mike Fahey and P.J. Morgan are endorsing Mike McDonnell for mayor in a new TV commercial.
-
Stan
- Library Board
- Posts: 461
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
If St Pattys Day parade presence is any indication, McDonnell has a ton of support followed by Stothert, Harris, and then Ewing.
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I wouldn't personally vote for McDonnell, however I would have to say as things ramp up that any of those that are big on the street car might start getting a little concerned. At this point I feel it's idiotic to cancel the project, but if he holds to his "promise", that's exactly what he's going to do if he wins - or at least he'll pause it.Stan wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 8:22 am If St Pattys Day parade presence is any indication, McDonnell has a ton of support followed by Stothert, Harris, and then Ewing.
I support the street car even though I'm likely to never use it - especially given the fact they've probably spent tens of millions on the work at this point in time. But I can see him coming in like a "Trump" and f-ing it all up... claiming a big "win" by stopping it, when they (the city) has already spent millions. I don't think he's good for the city, but with his history as fire chief and having the support from the local organizations that he does, this could be bad.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
With this idiocy, running on a "No more roundabouts" platform has become a viable path toward mayorship.
-
Toto
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:20 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
McDonnell is a big union guy and that parade is very heavy on the unions. I don't think its a true cross section of the city.Stan wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 8:22 am If St Pattys Day parade presence is any indication, McDonnell has a ton of support followed by Stothert, Harris, and then Ewing.
Toto
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I agreed with that statement - hard to judge who will "win" an election simply based upon attendance at a parade.Toto wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 9:20 amMcDonnell is a big union guy and that parade is very heavy on the unions. I don't think its a true cross section of the city.Stan wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 8:22 am If St Pattys Day parade presence is any indication, McDonnell has a ton of support followed by Stothert, Harris, and then Ewing.
Here's my personal concern - Omaha has shown they like to vote for Republicans (Mayor, Governor, etc). I've heard rumblings of those that are "tired" of how Stothert has run the city the last few years. Unfortunately even if people aren't fans of hers, they'll vote for her simply due to her party.
If there's a new candidate in the same party that comes in with new ideas that seem better than the current leadership, then that can be a problem. I hate to discount the democrats that are running, but I'm guessing neither have a shot. It's Stothert vs. McDonnell.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036559
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Is this a real issue for him? I can't think of a single intersection where I think "I really wish they would put the intersection back and install a traffic light". Take North 108th Street for example, it flows is so much better now with the roundabouts.almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 9:19 am With this idiocy, running on a "No more roundabouts" platform has become a viable path toward mayorship.
What's next, after they open 192 & Dodge, are the going to call for Pillen's head because they cant drive through the Diverging diamond interchange the NDOR is installing?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106375
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
No, I'm saying if he's running solely on stopping the streetcar, the voters dumb enough to embrace that would just as soon vote for a candidate who would stump to remove roundabounts.Brad wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 10:17 am Is this a real issue for him? I can't think of a single intersection where I think "I really wish they would put the intersection back and install a traffic light". Take North 108th Street for example, it flows is so much better now with the roundabouts.
What's next, after they open 192 & Dodge, are the going to call for Pillen's head because they cant drive through the Diverging diamond interchange the NDOR is installing?
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4694
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Also it being the St Patrick's Day parade and McDonnell banking heavily on his Irish heritage even in his campaign materials (Shamrock and all), it's not too surprising that he had the biggest group. Fahey and co endorsing him is a real head scratcher though.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
- Location: 68102
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Like Fahey won on a pothole platform.almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 10:43 amNo, I'm saying if he's running solely on stopping the streetcar, the voters dumb enough to embrace that would just as soon vote for a candidate who would stump to remove roundabounts.Brad wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 10:17 am Is this a real issue for him? I can't think of a single intersection where I think "I really wish they would put the intersection back and install a traffic light". Take North 108th Street for example, it flows is so much better now with the roundabouts.
What's next, after they open 192 & Dodge, are the going to call for Pillen's head because they cant drive through the Diverging diamond interchange the NDOR is installing?
-
HskrFanMike
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I think the Omaha city limits are fairly even in terms of Ds and Rs. But I do believe there is fatigue that Stothert has been asleep/absent (perhaps at Charlie Gitto'sdjc311 wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 9:58 am Here's my personal concern - Omaha has shown they like to vote for Republicans (Mayor, Governor, etc). I've heard rumblings of those that are "tired" of how Stothert has run the city the last few years. Unfortunately even if people aren't fans of hers, they'll vote for her simply due to her party.
If there's a new candidate in the same party that comes in with new ideas that seem better than the current leadership, then that can be a problem. I hate to discount the democrats that are running, but I'm guessing neither have a shot. It's Stothert vs. McDonnell.
-
Stan
- Library Board
- Posts: 461
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Completely anecdotal and hopefully so. The random people around me weren't clapping for him or Stothert or ol Rickety Pricketts when he walked by either.Toto wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 9:20 amMcDonnell is a big union guy and that parade is very heavy on the unions. I don't think its a true cross section of the city.Stan wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 8:22 am If St Pattys Day parade presence is any indication, McDonnell has a ton of support followed by Stothert, Harris, and then Ewing.
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4694
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
If you think she hasn't put any effort into promoting the streetcar you've been paying zero attentionHskrFanMike wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 1:06 pmI think the Omaha city limits are fairly even in terms of Ds and Rs. But I do believe there is fatigue that Stothert has been asleep/absent (perhaps at Charlie Gitto'sdjc311 wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 9:58 am Here's my personal concern - Omaha has shown they like to vote for Republicans (Mayor, Governor, etc). I've heard rumblings of those that are "tired" of how Stothert has run the city the last few years. Unfortunately even if people aren't fans of hers, they'll vote for her simply due to her party.
If there's a new candidate in the same party that comes in with new ideas that seem better than the current leadership, then that can be a problem. I hate to discount the democrats that are running, but I'm guessing neither have a shot. It's Stothert vs. McDonnell.) quite frequently. She won the office based on the restaurant tax...and didn't do anything about it. The streetcar went from zero to done deal with the Mutual project with not much opportunity for people to comment. (Frankly, she's put even less effort into promoting the streetcar and selling the benefits of it than she put into trying to fight for ConAgra, which I didn't think was possible.)
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Agree, she has been promoting it every chance she has gotten. Along with every development announced recently, she always mentions that it wouldn't be possible without the streetcar.Garrett wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2025 1:43 pm
If you think she hasn't put any effort into promoting the streetcar you've been paying zero attention
-
Garrett
- County Board
- Posts: 4694
- Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
- Location: New York City
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
WOWT hosting a mayoral debate right now. Terry Brewer really feels like he’s just kinda there for fun, and McDonnell is there out of sheer hatred of Stothert.
https://www.youtube.com/live/hq45ILrs5I ... QieZJ7kYa4
https://www.youtube.com/live/hq45ILrs5I ... QieZJ7kYa4
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
-
Toto
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:20 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Of course he is. He was head of the firefighters union and she was the mayor that put an end to that spiking nonsense. He's not there because he as good ideas or really any ideas. He is only running to fire her out of spite. Its ironic Fahey is endorsing McDonnell as he was the one to give the fire union that sweet deal.Garrett wrote: Tue Mar 11, 2025 12:59 pm WOWT hosting a mayoral debate right now. Terry Brewer really feels like he’s just kinda there for fun, and McDonnell is there out of sheer hatred of Stothert.
Toto
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
McDonnell is a complete Moran, literally only running so he can stop the streetcar. He just stated that Omaha has to
Improve but has no actual plans. In my opinion, this guy would be the worst choice for the city.
Improve but has no actual plans. In my opinion, this guy would be the worst choice for the city.
-
bbinks
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1552
- Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
The Irony of the restaurant tax is that if it wasn't for the Fahey-McDonnell cronyism union deals, there wouldn't be a pension solvency problem. Said restaurant tax is in part helping with that.
-
Toto
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:20 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Finally saw the commercial, and its comical. Looked liked two old guys at a retirement center rambling on about nothing.HskrFanMike wrote: Sun Mar 09, 2025 11:35 am Former mayors Mike Fahey and P.J. Morgan are endorsing Mike McDonnell for mayor in a new TV commercial.
Stothert is the clear choice in this race.
Toto
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036559
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I don't know... Hurley doesn't seem like the streetcar type...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I am moving in the direction of anybody but McDonnell. He's put no to streetcar on all of his signs that are popping up in west Omaha.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
The more I keep reading about McDonnell, the more I don't like him. All the other candidates had reasonable answers to questions and he is just heck bent on stopping the streetcar. I would really like to hear what he has to say about keeping the economic activity going in the Omaha metro.
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Completely agree. I also remember him recently making some ill informed comments on TIF. I believe Stothert put him in his place and showed his ignorance. I just think development-wise, we take a huge step back with McDonnell.skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Mar 17, 2025 9:08 am The more I keep reading about McDonnell, the more I don't like him. All the other candidates had reasonable answers to questions and he is just heck bent on stopping the streetcar. I would really like to hear what he has to say about keeping the economic activity going in the Omaha metro.
Greg
-
Toto
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:20 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
He's been a Clancy's since 6am working on another DUI.
On a serious note.
A - MUD has been relocating utilities for over a year now. Work is currently underway on a new bridge over 480. A streetcar maintenance facility is under construction behind the arena. All that money would be wasted if the streetcar is cancelled.
B - The Streetcars have already been ordered. What would it cost Omaha if the order was cancelled?
C - Over a billion dollars in develop has been announced along the streetcar line. One would assume all those project could sue the city if the project is cancelled.
I agree with all of you. He is heck bent on stopping the streetcar and has no good ideas to make the city better.
On a serious note.
A - MUD has been relocating utilities for over a year now. Work is currently underway on a new bridge over 480. A streetcar maintenance facility is under construction behind the arena. All that money would be wasted if the streetcar is cancelled.
B - The Streetcars have already been ordered. What would it cost Omaha if the order was cancelled?
C - Over a billion dollars in develop has been announced along the streetcar line. One would assume all those project could sue the city if the project is cancelled.
I agree with all of you. He is heck bent on stopping the streetcar and has no good ideas to make the city better.
Toto
-
djc311
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2139
- Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I don't like him, either.skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Mar 17, 2025 9:08 am The more I keep reading about McDonnell, the more I don't like him. All the other candidates had reasonable answers to questions and he is just heck bent on stopping the streetcar. I would really like to hear what he has to say about keeping the economic activity going in the Omaha metro.
The problem is (and I know others hate to see it) but this is Omaha Trump-syndrome. McDonnell could be the biggest idiot of the bunch (and pretty much is), but A LOT of people are tired of Stothert... and they won't vote Democrat... or at least they won't vote for the current Democrat candidates. Therefore, they go to the only other option which is McDonnell. Now he has fire and police unions along with ex old-|expletive| mayors supporting him so it continues to get worse. Next thing you'll see is the local Archdiocese backing him or something along those lines...
I always used to say Trump could literally stand in the street and shoot some random citizen for no justified reason, and people would say Trump was the victim and could easily get away with it.
People seem to lose all common sense and logic these days when it comes to politics and on the surface they simply see "stop the spending on the street car, it wasn't voted for, it's not needed, etc...". Regardless of how that has been handled, they won't seem to care that the city may have lost a hundred million or more on something that's already in the works.
It's like the dumb border wall - I couldn't even tell you where that stupid thing stands (both literally and figuratively). I can tell you Mexico didn't contribute a dime even though the whole idea was marketed to voters as something that wouldn't cost the US taxpayers a penny. And yet, here it is... I don't think he's mentioned the stupid wall since being back in office, although I know he's brought up borders.
IF McDonnell somehow wins, we're in for a |expletive|-|expletive| next few years. I'm not a fan of Stothert, but I'd vote for her over McDonnell because he's a clown show.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I just wish people would actually listen to the candidates. I really don't understand why so many always act like they hate Stothert. Some of it is timing and good luck, but more good has come under her terms than any other recent mayor that I can remember. Omaha is really starting to set itself apart from all of our peer cities and definitely midwestern peers. I just don't want to kill that momentum. I know one of the biggest complaints is always roads (and thats what McDonnell is trying to say....we are committing hundreds of millions of dollars for only a 3 mile stretch when we have 4,500 miles of roads) but he isn't seeing the big picture. The streetcar is an economic development tool and even before the track has already been put down, we are already seeing the benefits of it.
-
TitosBuritoBarn
- Planning Board
- Posts: 3275
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Stothert turned me into a newt!
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
-
Padre
- Human Relations
- Posts: 926
- Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
- Location: Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
A newt?
I got better!
I got better!
-
Greg S
- City Council
- Posts: 8991
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I agree. I am not a Republican but she has my support. Just so many positive things going on for the city. She works so well on coordinating with business leaders, the chamber, and moves shakers and donors like Heritage Omaha. I think the developments in Omaha are the best for as long as I can remember.skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Mar 17, 2025 10:14 am I just wish people would actually listen to the candidates. I really don't understand why so many always act like they hate Stothert. Some of it is timing and good luck, but more good has come under her terms than any other recent mayor that I can remember. Omaha is really starting to set itself apart from all of our peer cities and definitely midwestern peers. I just don't want to kill that momentum. I know one of the biggest complaints is always roads (and thats what McDonnell is trying to say....we are committing hundreds of millions of dollars for only a 3 mile stretch when we have 4,500 miles of roads) but he isn't seeing the big picture. The streetcar is an economic development tool and even before the track has already been put down, we are already seeing the benefits of it.
Greg
-
skip
- Library Board
- Posts: 277
- Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm
- Location: Midtown
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
unfortunately, Stothert will be the only candidate to beat McDonnell. and we can't have that guy in office.
-
Busguy2010
- City Council
- Posts: 7328
- Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
- Location: North Central Omaha
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
Yeah, I dunno how anyone could argue against what she's done. She's republican, suburban type, and came around quite a bit to also take care of the inner city and delivered on many projects across the city. She's been great IMO, and I didn't vote for her the first two times. McDonnell's got nothing to run on.
-
skinzfan23
- City Council
- Posts: 11629
- Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
- Location: Omaha/Bellevue
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
He is surely advertising a lot the past few days on tv while watching the ncaa tourney.
-
HskrFanMike
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
To give Stothert credit, cleanup from this week's blizzard was pretty good from my perspective. I can't say that about past snowstorms. Has everybody forgotten when Stothert went on an immature rant against the police who shut down 90th and Dodge to allow the plows to clear the road a few years ago?
There's also her "asleep at the switch" handling of ConAgra leaving town. She waited months to reach out to the ConAgra CEO about the rumors that they were going to move to Chicago. Yes, it probably was going to be futile, but the point is that she couldn't even be bothered to make a phone call until the World-Herald reported that ConAgra was about to announce the move.
I think we've had the part-time mayor in office long enough.
There's also her "asleep at the switch" handling of ConAgra leaving town. She waited months to reach out to the ConAgra CEO about the rumors that they were going to move to Chicago. Yes, it probably was going to be futile, but the point is that she couldn't even be bothered to make a phone call until the World-Herald reported that ConAgra was about to announce the move.
I think we've had the part-time mayor in office long enough.
-
Stan
- Library Board
- Posts: 461
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I'm pretty far left of center and even I don't really have a problem with Stothert. All the economic development that has gone on in the past 10+ years has done wonders for the city. I think that part time piece about her living in St Louis was incorrect. I think it was Garrett that mentioned it here in the forums somewhere that she was really only there to care for her dying mother and not to live with her new husband. I think she's been adequately involved with the city where I don't have to think about what she's doing all the time with her posting on her social media platform.HskrFanMike wrote: Sat Mar 22, 2025 1:34 pm To give Stothert credit, cleanup from this week's blizzard was pretty good from my perspective. I can't say that about past snowstorms. Has everybody forgotten when Stothert went on an immature rant against the police who shut down 90th and Dodge to allow the plows to clear the road a few years ago?
There's also her "asleep at the switch" handling of ConAgra leaving town. She waited months to reach out to the ConAgra CEO about the rumors that they were going to move to Chicago. Yes, it probably was going to be futile, but the point is that she couldn't even be bothered to make a phone call until the World-Herald reported that ConAgra was about to announce the move.
I think we've had the part-time mayor in office long enough.
-
Louie
- County Board
- Posts: 4936
- Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
- Location: Dundee
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
What Stan said. Couldn’t agree more.
-
swinquest
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 191
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm
Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election
I think some candidates (will not mention names) do not understand that Omaha is a growing city. We just reached 1 million people in the metro area. Therefore, Omaha is going to have new (or growing) issues. To continue on the upward movement and to attract people to Omaha, some things need to be done that not everyone is going to agree with. I have only been on a MAT bus once for a school thing with one of my kids, never been on an ORBT bus and may never ride on the streetcar, but businesses believe that the streetcar will be good for THEIR businesses. That is why there is the move to go on with it. I'm going to support whatever is going to help Omaha keep up with the times. We cannot stop the momentum now. Many of the projects associated with the streetcar (related to the sewer and bridge reconstructions) were already planned to take place within the next five years or so....now the timeline just got pushed up due to the streetcar.
The Mayor spends a lot of time in Omaha - from what I am able to see, far more time in Omaha than not. The media for reporting this a few years ago did a good job getting it stuck in the heads of the residents, and people won't let it go.
Every one just needs to remember to look at each candidate what understand what they believe in and know WHAT they are going to do for the city. ASK what they are going to do for the city and know what their plans are. Not everyone has been clear on the plans for the next four years; they will tend to focus on what the residents are saying and target that (street car for example). Immediately calling for the firing of the homeless coordinator as a DEI hire (and then later saying because she is not doing her job) is wreckless. Someone needs to look at the job of each person and the work that they do before calling for such an action. She has done a lot of work with the homeless and providing resources (cannot force them) of where they can go. Again, Omaha is growing and unfortunately, homeless populations increase the bigger the city that you go. I'm sure that LA has a lot going on with their homeless.
The Mayor spends a lot of time in Omaha - from what I am able to see, far more time in Omaha than not. The media for reporting this a few years ago did a good job getting it stuck in the heads of the residents, and people won't let it go.
Every one just needs to remember to look at each candidate what understand what they believe in and know WHAT they are going to do for the city. ASK what they are going to do for the city and know what their plans are. Not everyone has been clear on the plans for the next four years; they will tend to focus on what the residents are saying and target that (street car for example). Immediately calling for the firing of the homeless coordinator as a DEI hire (and then later saying because she is not doing her job) is wreckless. Someone needs to look at the job of each person and the work that they do before calling for such an action. She has done a lot of work with the homeless and providing resources (cannot force them) of where they can go. Again, Omaha is growing and unfortunately, homeless populations increase the bigger the city that you go. I'm sure that LA has a lot going on with their homeless.