2025 Omaha Mayoral election

The Political decisions of Omaha.
Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Erik »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 1:38 am
Erik wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 1:06 am
buildomaha wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 12:48 am I like to think that Omahans are typically pragmatic, especially in the voting booth. Smothers has built her political capital and career on providing results. More than feelings about lgbtq issues, I think the turn toward culture issues really took a toll on her image. It showed a focus on issues that are not aimed toward improving the city. People want civic leaders that will fix roads, bring economic development, and build civic pride. Moving to culture war issues proved to be a grave mistake for the Stothert campaign. It’s quite the unfortunate downfall for one of the most effective mayors this city has ever seen.
This is precisely it. Over the years, I've learned to reject those who run on a punch down campaign rather than focusing on what they offer..
HUH¿

And then neglect to acknowledge her track record? Like I said, that's an emotional reaction. Thats kind of backwards logic.

We lost a good one today in place for a future unknown.
Nah. She lost her focus, then started to use punch-down hate politics.

If she didn't want a reaction, then perhaps she shouldn't have looked for one
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7329
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Busguy2010 »

Well, I hope you get what you were looking for.

I personally don't think any mayor in my lifetime did a better job than her. And I didn't even vote her in back in 2013.

Sure, she offended that crowd. But you look at the tangibles, she's been great. Omaha in 2013 is completely unrecognizable from 2025.

It'll be a hard act to follow, that's all I'm saying.
Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Erik »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 2:09 am Well, I hope you get what you were looking for.

I personally don't think any mayor in my lifetime did a better job than her. And I didn't even vote her in back in 2013.

Sure, she offended that crowd. But you look at the tangibles, she's been great. Omaha in 2013 is completely unrecognizable from 2025.

It'll be a hard act to follow, that's all I'm saying.
"That crowd". Sad that is how you see her campaign to rile an entire city against a small minority.

Some of us put value into "how you treat those who cannot defend themselves". I voted for Jean when I saw her moderate stance and doing decent economically, but when she turned against human beings, that's when I turn against her.

I'll say it again, if you don't want to FO (find out), then don't FA.
Cermak
Planning Board
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Cermak »

This has to be one of the biggest upsets in local politics. Gov Pillen said to many West Omaha voters just stayed home and didn’t go out to vote. Omaha has had more positive momentum in the past few years than probably any city its size in the United States, don’t really see what the Stothert administration did that was so awful to warrant being tossed out of office. Hope this doesn’t push the city back to slow growth and stagnant development. Time will tell. What a shocking loss.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7329
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Busguy2010 »

Its definitely a hard reset, cermak. I'm shocked too.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110960
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by nebugeater »

Way outside the box thought, and I am outside of Omaha so I have no direct skin in the game.

My thoughts over the last few weeks, with some of her ads, her interviews, and her campaign's direction, are that she had lost the edge for wanting another term. She and her inner circle may have had some desire to hinder her own re-electability possibility with intentional decisions that would lead to just walking away. I seemed to sense a change from anything previous.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2819
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by jessep28 »

Cermak wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 5:32 am This has to be one of the biggest upsets in local politics. Gov Pillen said to many West Omaha voters just stayed home and didn’t go out to vote.
That's always a convenient excuse, but considering the margin of victory, statistics don't lie. As long as a statistically representative sample of the population voted, any hypothetical increase in turnout would just yield the same results, but more votes for each candidate.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bbinks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by bbinks »

Ewing is taking over a much better city than Stothert did. Hopefully the progress continues.
Dusty
Human Relations
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 pm
Location: Central Florida

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Dusty »

When does Ewing officially take office? I'm sure there will be a transition period to get him up to speed. Makes you wonder how many projects she was working on behind closed doors. The plan for 16th street, Civic Square, etc.
Omaha's Transit Future starts now. Let's make the change!
Omaha Transit Network
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by djc311 »

I'm also outside of Omaha (actually, I'm outside of anywhere and can't vote for a mayor), however I feel Stothert didn't do herself any favors in the last few weeks. I can say I'm glad McDonnell didn't make the cut because I believe Ewing is certainly the "better" of those two.

I support the street car project and I know nearly this entire website does as well. I hope it continues on for everyone's benefit. I feel at this point, there's already enough in motion that it would be incredibly negative to stop it altogether.

I do think some of the projects (although now making more progress than before) may have hurt her a bit - Crossroads, the old Civic site, etc. Understanding she's not in direct control over those sites personally, people see the news and fanfare when these things get announced and then when they sit for several years, people get frustrated.

I hope for Omaha's sake this works out well and positive developments continue to happen!
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by skinzfan23 »

Linkin5 wrote: Tue May 13, 2025 11:25 pm I think the streetcar will be a lot like the new park, a ton of naysayers that will be won over once they experience it and see the development it spurs.
Or Qwest Center when it was built.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by skinzfan23 »

I still will never forget during the strange times of Covid when stothert came outside to confront the people destroying buildings and she got spit on. Guaranteed not another mayor in our would have done that.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1321
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by HskrFanMike »

Cermak wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 5:32 am This has to be one of the biggest upsets in local politics. Gov Pillen said to many West Omaha voters just stayed home and didn’t go out to vote. Omaha has had more positive momentum in the past few years than probably any city its size in the United States, don’t really see what the Stothert administration did that was so awful to warrant being tossed out of office. Hope this doesn’t push the city back to slow growth and stagnant development. Time will tell. What a shocking loss.
Pillen wasn't wrong when he said that west Omaha voters stayed home. I mentioned it last night that the Stothert/Melton signs were missing outside my polling place. Now he needs to ask why. Start with staring down Pete Ricketts and his toxic politics, because that final campaign ad likely doubled Ewing's margin of victory.
swinquest
Home Owners Association
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by swinquest »

Dusty wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 6:56 am When does Ewing officially take office?
June 9th
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Mr.Nuke »

HskrFanMike wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 7:35 am
Cermak wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 5:32 am This has to be one of the biggest upsets in local politics. Gov Pillen said to many West Omaha voters just stayed home and didn’t go out to vote. Omaha has had more positive momentum in the past few years than probably any city its size in the United States, don’t really see what the Stothert administration did that was so awful to warrant being tossed out of office. Hope this doesn’t push the city back to slow growth and stagnant development. Time will tell. What a shocking loss.
Pillen wasn't wrong when he said that west Omaha voters stayed home. I mentioned it last night that the Stothert/Melton signs were missing outside my polling place. Now he needs to ask why. Start with staring down Pete Ricketts and his toxic politics, because that final campaign ad likely doubled Ewing's margin of victory.
It will be interesting to see how accurate this actually ends up being on a precinct level. Compared to 2021, there are about 10,000 less votes (will end up being about 3,000 less with 7,000 still to be counted today). District 6 looks to be lagging big time as there wasn't a contested city council race there, 5 to a much lesser extent too. On the other hand KETV had a reporter somewhere in West Omaha last night (I forget where) that mentioned they were being told by some Republicans they weren't voting for her.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Wed May 14, 2025 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Garrett »

Raw vote margins. Ewing gained quite a bit of ground, winning almost all of the 680 loop and pushing out into a fair bit of West O
Image
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by almighty_tuna »

The AP even ran a story on the results. Nice to see just "Omaha" in the headline instead of Omaha, NEB or otherwise spelled out qualifier of what state Omaha is in.
Associated Press wrote:First female mayor of Omaha concedes in race against likely first Black mayor
https://apnews.com/article/omaha-mayor- ... 34831c11b9
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Greg S »

I think the street car was a large factor in her loss. It's incredibly unpopular in west Omaha. It also didn't help her in the eastern part of the city. You'd think a massive investment and improved public transportation would be popular in it's immediate area but it's not.

Running for a fourth time made it difficult as well.

She definitely left her mark on the city. Especially from 72nd to the river. Considering all that was going on in her 12 years, very impressed and Omaha is in fantastic shape for Ewing.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Garrett »

Vote number totals. Doing a point to point comparison, it looks like West O had a slightly higher turnout than in the primary, despite Pillen wanting to blame West O for the loss.
Image
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
riceweb
Human Relations
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by riceweb »

nebugeater wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 5:55 am My thoughts over the last few weeks, with some of her ads, her interviews, and her campaign's direction, are that she had lost the edge for wanting another term.
100% this. She was checked out and using the position as little more than some extra income before retirement.
riceweb
Human Relations
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by riceweb »

Greg S wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 9:47 am I think the street car was a large factor in her loss. It's incredibly unpopular in west Omaha. It also didn't help her in the eastern part of the city. You'd think a massive investment and improved public transportation would be popular in it's immediate area but it's not.
Investment can be good, but the critiques of the streetcar are absolutely valid, especially in a city that hasn't even demonstrated it can run a bus system. Seems like putting the cart before the horse. It might end up drawing substantial investment (though I doubt it in a post-office, work-from-home-env that is still massively destroying centralized office demand), but at the absolute minimum, you can say it's a lot of money, a lot of risk, with unclear upside, when alternatives existed, and when there were maybe other areas that should have been prioritized first.

But Stothert's issue wasn't just the streetcar, it's that she has been an almost invisible mayor for many years. She has zero vision for the city, and it was just time for a change. Ewing might not be better at all, but the point is that change was needed after years of stagnation from the Mayor's office.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by almighty_tuna »

I think the streetcar will go down as probably both her most and one of the city's most controversial and significant initiative/project of all time thus far. Growing pains can be hard, and the last few years continuing for probably the entirety of Ewing's imminent term are/will be a huge make or break time for Omaha in terms of rising to the grownup table of large cities or.....not.

Ewing couldn't have been teed up any better for a successful term. I hope he doesn't |expletive| it up.
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by damonhynes »

nebugeater wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 5:55 am Way outside the box thought, and I am outside of Omaha so I have no direct skin in the game.

My thoughts over the last few weeks, with some of her ads, her interviews, and her campaign's direction, are that she had lost the edge for wanting another term. She and her inner circle may have had some desire to hinder her own re-electability possibility with intentional decisions that would lead to just walking away. I seemed to sense a change from anything previous.
Yep, and did you see her concession speech? She was sooo over it. St. Louis is calling her name, and good for her.

The disconcerting thing is that the state GOP has/had no bench strength, no 'next (person) up'. The second-best 'Republican' candidate was a Democrat this time last year.

This can be applied to the Dems as well. So Omaha gets unobtrusive candidates. The CEO of any Omaha company could do the job equally as well.
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Garrett »

damonhynes wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:30 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 5:55 am Way outside the box thought, and I am outside of Omaha so I have no direct skin in the game.

My thoughts over the last few weeks, with some of her ads, her interviews, and her campaign's direction, are that she had lost the edge for wanting another term. She and her inner circle may have had some desire to hinder her own re-electability possibility with intentional decisions that would lead to just walking away. I seemed to sense a change from anything previous.
Yep, and did you see her concession speech? She was sooo over it. St. Louis is calling her name, and good for her.

The disconcerting thing is that the state GOP has/had no bench strength, no 'next (person) up'. The second-best 'Republican' candidate was a Democrat this time last year.

This can be applied to the Dems as well. So Omaha gets unobtrusive candidates. The CEO of any Omaha company could do the job equally as well.
I dunno, would you have predicted that Stothert would be mayor for 12 years in 2009? Whether or not a Republican will be able to win a city wide election with current political trends is another question though. Even though Bacon has held on in NE-2, he's never managed to win Douglas County.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by nativeomahan »

Jean Stothert has been a good mayor. History will judge her accordingly. So was Hal Daub. But both had troubling personalities and in the end that was what proved to be their undoing.
I voted for her in the primary. The first time she had ever earned my vote. McDonnell scared me enough to cast my vote for her. But when you attach your name to a TV and video ad that must have run hundreds of times, one that attacks and denigrates a class of people for being who they are, and in doing so raises an “issue” that 100% has nothing whatsoever to do with the duties of being mayor and the de facto leader of all residents of our city, and attacks children on top of that, well she could have walked on water across the Missouri River and I still would have voted against her.
End of rant. Looking forward to a new face in City Hall.
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by damonhynes »

Garrett wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:42 am
I dunno, would you have predicted that Stothert would be mayor for 12 years in 2009? Whether or not a Republican will be able to win a city wide election with current political trends is another question though. Even though Bacon has held on in NE-2, he's never managed to win Douglas County.
No, I never expected Stothert would last twelve years, and for that matter I fully expected the seat would swing back and forth between lower-case republicans and drunk union hacks like Boyle. And if Ewing missteps, or a link to Soros cash is found, it'll swing back again.

Aside, when 2013 rolled around homes in Springfield had Stothert signs in their front yards.

Bacon pizzes me off. He needs to be bail, and replaced by a populist. Reminds me of John Cornyn, who is one of my senators.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Greg S »

damonhynes wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:30 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 5:55 am Way outside the box thought, and I am outside of Omaha so I have no direct skin in the game.

My thoughts over the last few weeks, with some of her ads, her interviews, and her campaign's direction, are that she had lost the edge for wanting another term. She and her inner circle may have had some desire to hinder her own re-electability possibility with intentional decisions that would lead to just walking away. I seemed to sense a change from anything previous.
Yep, and did you see her concession speech? She was sooo over it. St. Louis is calling her name, and good for her.

The disconcerting thing is that the state GOP has/had no bench strength, no 'next (person) up'. The second-best 'Republican' candidate was a Democrat this time last year.

This can be applied to the Dems as well. So Omaha gets unobtrusive candidates. The CEO of any Omaha company could do the job equally as well.
Her mom passed away so I don't think the St Louis thing will happen, but we will see.

I think next man up for the Republicans will be Brinker Harding, although you could make a case for others.

We'd had a rough go with Fahey as mayor. Suttle did a good job getting the restaurant tax to fix the pension mess he inherited from Fahey. He then royally screwed the city and parks when he redirected the parks bond money voters approved to repair Leahy Mall (which wasn't listed as the big beneficiary on the parks bond). In her first 2 terms Stothert dealt with some unhappy campers in West O, who approved the parks bon, then didn't get what was proposed in the bond (unfortunately the city wasn't required to actually follow through on what was proposed if passed).
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1321
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by HskrFanMike »

4 years out, I'd suspect Brinker Harding would be the GOP's next Mayoral candidate. He came up under Daub. Ten years ago, I would have said Aimee Melton, but she's been mostly inconsequential the last few years and last night, she was the last council candidate to win...and that's in a red district.
Jins123
Library Board
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Jins123 »

damonhynes wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:53 am
Garrett wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:42 am
I dunno, would you have predicted that Stothert would be mayor for 12 years in 2009? Whether or not a Republican will be able to win a city wide election with current political trends is another question though. Even though Bacon has held on in NE-2, he's never managed to win Douglas County.
No, I never expected Stothert would last twelve years, and for that matter I fully expected the seat would swing back and forth between lower-case republicans and drunk union hacks like Boyle. And if Ewing missteps, or a link to Soros cash is found, it'll swing back again.

Aside, when 2013 rolled around homes in Springfield had Stothert signs in their front yards.

Bacon pizzes me off. He needs to be bail, and replaced by a populist. Reminds me of John Cornyn, who is one of my senators.
lol the only billionaires interfering in these local elections are the Ricketts
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by damonhynes »

Jins123 wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 3:40 pm
damonhynes wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:53 am
Garrett wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:42 am
I dunno, would you have predicted that Stothert would be mayor for 12 years in 2009? Whether or not a Republican will be able to win a city wide election with current political trends is another question though. Even though Bacon has held on in NE-2, he's never managed to win Douglas County.
No, I never expected Stothert would last twelve years, and for that matter I fully expected the seat would swing back and forth between lower-case republicans and drunk union hacks like Boyle. And if Ewing missteps, or a link to Soros cash is found, it'll swing back again.

Aside, when 2013 rolled around homes in Springfield had Stothert signs in their front yards.

Bacon pizzes me off. He needs to be bail, and replaced by a populist. Reminds me of John Cornyn, who is one of my senators.
lol the only billionaires interfering in these local elections are the Ricketts
If they'd been involved, there'd have been another GOP candidate besides Jean.
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Mr.Nuke »

damonhynes wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 3:59 pm
Jins123 wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 3:40 pm
damonhynes wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:53 am
Garrett wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:42 am
I dunno, would you have predicted that Stothert would be mayor for 12 years in 2009? Whether or not a Republican will be able to win a city wide election with current political trends is another question though. Even though Bacon has held on in NE-2, he's never managed to win Douglas County.
No, I never expected Stothert would last twelve years, and for that matter I fully expected the seat would swing back and forth between lower-case republicans and drunk union hacks like Boyle. And if Ewing missteps, or a link to Soros cash is found, it'll swing back again.

Aside, when 2013 rolled around homes in Springfield had Stothert signs in their front yards.

Bacon pizzes me off. He needs to be bail, and replaced by a populist. Reminds me of John Cornyn, who is one of my senators.
lol the only billionaires interfering in these local elections are the Ricketts
If they'd been involved, there'd have been another GOP candidate besides Jean.
Stothert still has a commanding lead in overall fundraising, with a total of $903,927 compared to Ewing's $535,602. About 56% of Stothert's fundraising came over the last six weeks compared to 85% for Ewing.

A majority of Stothert's donations have come from individual contributors. Top donors include Sen. Pete Ricketts ($40,000), Charles Herbster ($25,000), Hawkins Construction ($40,000), Ken Stinson ($20,000), Kiewit Corporation ($20,000), Eyman Plumbing ($25,000), and Thomas Hujar ($25,000).
5/6--> https://www.ketv.com/article/ewing-pick ... e/64679044

5/12-->
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4698
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Garrett »

I saw that Ewing will actually be keeping Stothert’s chief of staff as they’ve been friends since childhood. Hopefully that bodes well for a decent degree of policy continuity for the core
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by damonhynes »

Mr.Nuke wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 4:12 pm
damonhynes wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 3:59 pm
Jins123 wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 3:40 pm
damonhynes wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:53 am
Garrett wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 10:42 am
I dunno, would you have predicted that Stothert would be mayor for 12 years in 2009? Whether or not a Republican will be able to win a city wide election with current political trends is another question though. Even though Bacon has held on in NE-2, he's never managed to win Douglas County.
No, I never expected Stothert would last twelve years, and for that matter I fully expected the seat would swing back and forth between lower-case republicans and drunk union hacks like Boyle. And if Ewing missteps, or a link to Soros cash is found, it'll swing back again.

Aside, when 2013 rolled around homes in Springfield had Stothert signs in their front yards.

Bacon pizzes me off. He needs to be bail, and replaced by a populist. Reminds me of John Cornyn, who is one of my senators.
lol the only billionaires interfering in these local elections are the Ricketts
If they'd been involved, there'd have been another GOP candidate besides Jean.
Stothert still has a commanding lead in overall fundraising, with a total of $903,927 compared to Ewing's $535,602. About 56% of Stothert's fundraising came over the last six weeks compared to 85% for Ewing.

A majority of Stothert's donations have come from individual contributors. Top donors include Sen. Pete Ricketts ($40,000), Charles Herbster ($25,000), Hawkins Construction ($40,000), Ken Stinson ($20,000), Kiewit Corporation ($20,000), Eyman Plumbing ($25,000), and Thomas Hujar ($25,000).
5/6--> https://www.ketv.com/article/ewing-pick ... e/64679044

5/12-->
I squat corrected. Let me correct myself: If they'd been involved, there should have been another GOP candidate besides Jean. That's a lot of money pithed away in desperation. But they'll make more.
Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Erik »

Garrett wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 6:23 pm I saw that Ewing will actually be keeping Stothert’s chief of staff as they’ve been friends since childhood. Hopefully that bodes well for a decent degree of policy continuity for the core
Yup. And Stothert came in as a nurse, which is something. But Ewing is coming in from being both Deputy Police Chief and County Treasurer.

He has credentials.
MC74
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2025 8:32 am

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by MC74 »

HskrFanMike wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 7:35 am
Cermak wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 5:32 am This has to be one of the biggest upsets in local politics. Gov Pillen said to many West Omaha voters just stayed home and didn’t go out to vote. Omaha has had more positive momentum in the past few years than probably any city its size in the United States, don’t really see what the Stothert administration did that was so awful to warrant being tossed out of office. Hope this doesn’t push the city back to slow growth and stagnant development. Time will tell. What a shocking loss.
Pillen wasn't wrong when he said that west Omaha voters stayed home. I mentioned it last night that the Stothert/Melton signs were missing outside my polling place. Now he needs to ask why. Start with staring down Pete Ricketts and his toxic politics, because that final campaign ad likely doubled Ewing's margin of victory.
I think the explanation that the reason Stothert lost is voter turnout is really wishful thinking on the Governor's part. It's always tempting for the losing side to assume that the majority of the electorate favors your issues and your candidates, and the explanation for a loss has to be that the "majority" didn't vote. That lets you ignore the problems with policy and personality, and it is a recipe for more losses.

Plus, the math just doesn't work. Assuming that there are about 7000 votes left to be counted (as reported by the media), that puts total turnout somewhere around 94,000 compared to just shy of 98,000 in 2021 and 100,000 in 2017. She lost by about 11,000. If all 4,000-6,000 of those voters had showed up and voted Stothert, she would have still lost badly. In 2021 she had 62,000 votes, and 52,000 votes in 2021. She is on course for approximately 40,000 this time. It is apparent that thousands of voters who voted for her in previously elections did not do so this time around.

Why? I think it is always hard for an incumbent in an executive office (Governor, Mayor) to win more than 2-3 terms, so she always had that to contend with. Ultimately, I think personality ultimately sunk her. Stothert isn't exactly a warm and fuzzy or inspiring candidate--effective, absolutely, but that doesn't always equate to votes. The national environment also wasn't helpful.
nebugeater wrote: Wed May 14, 2025 5:55 am Way outside the box thought, and I am outside of Omaha so I have no direct skin in the game.

My thoughts over the last few weeks, with some of her ads, her interviews, and her campaign's direction, are that she had lost the edge for wanting another term. She and her inner circle may have had some desire to hinder her own re-electability possibility with intentional decisions that would lead to just walking away. I seemed to sense a change from anything previous.
I think there is some truth to this. I wonder how much of her desire to seek a fourth term was driven by disdain for McDonnell. Once he was out--mission accomplished.

Regardless, I think their strategy in this campaign was somewhat flawed. They would have been better off trying to oust Ewing in the primary to set up a run against McDonnell. Where would the loyal Democrats have gone in that matchup--almost certainly to Stothert. Instead, she ousted McDonnell in the primary to face Ewing in the General. It seems that her team clearly thought they were behind and started the attacks on Ewing, which made the problem worse for her.
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3276
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

There was an interesting story on KETV today. They did some exit polling and received some interesting results. Some democrats in the eastern part of the city voted for Stothert because they felt she's helped progress the city forward. Conversely, in the precinct that received the most McDonnell votes, many voted for Ewing. It shows that a number of voters weren't that swayed by an R or a D. No one they talked to seemed to mention the streetcar.

https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-vote ... e/64760834
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by skinzfan23 »

Well thats a positive that no one mentioned the streetcar. On all the blasts the KETV and OWH have had on Facebook, that is usually the #1 thing people have commented on. Granted, I know to take those comments with a grain of salt.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by djc311 »

I'm surprised to see how much of a national spot light is on this election and the results. I'm not sure that I put that much weight on it as some are saying, in that people are tired of the direction the country is going and it could be a sign for other elections (and they could end with similar outcomes).

I personally didn't associate Stothert with Trump's stance and actions with things in general - at the end when she started with the extremely negative attacks, then it started to sway that way. I most definitely would put Pillen into that bucket, though. His excuse for her loss is proof that he's exactly that type of person.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Louie »

djc311 wrote: Thu May 15, 2025 9:30 am I'm surprised to see how much of a national spot light is on this election and the results. I'm not sure that I put that much weight on it as some are saying, in that people are tired of the direction the country is going and it could be a sign for other elections (and they could end with similar outcomes).

I personally didn't associate Stothert with Trump's stance and actions with things in general - at the end when she started with the extremely negative attacks, then it started to sway that way. I most definitely would put Pillen into that bucket, though. His excuse for her loss is proof that he's exactly that type of person.
I agree, this doesn't really feel like a microcosm of the national leanings. Definitely not to say that it isn't happening, but this particular election feels distanced from that.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8991
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: 2025 Omaha Mayoral election

Post by Greg S »

Louie wrote: Thu May 15, 2025 9:57 am
djc311 wrote: Thu May 15, 2025 9:30 am I'm surprised to see how much of a national spot light is on this election and the results. I'm not sure that I put that much weight on it as some are saying, in that people are tired of the direction the country is going and it could be a sign for other elections (and they could end with similar outcomes).

I personally didn't associate Stothert with Trump's stance and actions with things in general - at the end when she started with the extremely negative attacks, then it started to sway that way. I most definitely would put Pillen into that bucket, though. His excuse for her loss is proof that he's exactly that type of person.
I agree, this doesn't really feel like a microcosm of the national leanings. Definitely not to say that it isn't happening, but this particular election feels distanced from that.
Yeah I agree. I don't think this was tied to a national movement at all. Very much local.