UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
OmahaRedWing
Human Relations
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:39 pm

UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by OmahaRedWing »

F0R_L1F3
Home Owners Association
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:24 am

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by F0R_L1F3 »

Single photo from the UNO page about it.
Image
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by Louie »

This expansion looks like it will be this space:
Image
There is a sign on-site.
locoluke
Home Owners Association
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2025 11:16 pm

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by locoluke »

They had a drill rig out to do geotechnical investigation today.
Jobbers Canyon Truther
:hammer:
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by omaha79 »

Interesting. They are slowly closing in Caniglia Field.

I wonder if the idea of a student housing building on the East side of Caniglia is still in play? the last master plan for UNO had a really cool student housing building that had balconies that looked out upon the soccer pitch. I loved that idea. I hope it comes to fruition someday and would be an extremely creative infill use for that small piece of land, give some housing on East campus, and hopefully push those that live there to be involved when soccer is played.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by Louie »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 11:49 am Interesting. They are slowly closing in Caniglia Field.

I wonder if the idea of a student housing building on the East side of Caniglia is still in play? the last master plan for UNO had a really cool student housing building that had balconies that looked out upon the soccer pitch. I loved that idea. I hope it comes to fruition someday and would be an extremely creative infill use for that small piece of land, give some housing on East campus, and hopefully push those that live there to be involved when soccer is played.
Like where the parking garage currently is?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by omaha79 »

Louie wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 6:45 pm
omaha79 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 11:49 am Interesting. They are slowly closing in Caniglia Field.

I wonder if the idea of a student housing building on the East side of Caniglia is still in play? the last master plan for UNO had a really cool student housing building that had balconies that looked out upon the soccer pitch. I loved that idea. I hope it comes to fruition someday and would be an extremely creative infill use for that small piece of land, give some housing on East campus, and hopefully push those that live there to be involved when soccer is played.
Like where the parking garage currently is?
No. Just the strip of green grass between the field and the parking garage. It's actually still in the master plan, but not sure if actively being worked on. See page 9 of 65. I felt this was a really quirky, creative, and collegiate idea, but probably why UNO will never end up doing it...

https://www.unomaha.edu/student-life/ho ... gstudy.pdf
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by Louie »

omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 7:39 am
Louie wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 6:45 pm
omaha79 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 11:49 am Interesting. They are slowly closing in Caniglia Field.

I wonder if the idea of a student housing building on the East side of Caniglia is still in play? the last master plan for UNO had a really cool student housing building that had balconies that looked out upon the soccer pitch. I loved that idea. I hope it comes to fruition someday and would be an extremely creative infill use for that small piece of land, give some housing on East campus, and hopefully push those that live there to be involved when soccer is played.
Like where the parking garage currently is?
No. Just the strip of green grass between the field and the parking garage. It's actually still in the master plan, but not sure if actively being worked on. See page 9 of 65. I felt this was a really quirky, creative, and collegiate idea, but probably why UNO will never end up doing it...

https://www.unomaha.edu/student-life/ho ... gstudy.pdf
Quirky indeed. But that would have been cool.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by omaha79 »

Louie wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 8:05 am
omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 7:39 am
Louie wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 6:45 pm
omaha79 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 11:49 am Interesting. They are slowly closing in Caniglia Field.

I wonder if the idea of a student housing building on the East side of Caniglia is still in play? the last master plan for UNO had a really cool student housing building that had balconies that looked out upon the soccer pitch. I loved that idea. I hope it comes to fruition someday and would be an extremely creative infill use for that small piece of land, give some housing on East campus, and hopefully push those that live there to be involved when soccer is played.
Like where the parking garage currently is?
No. Just the strip of green grass between the field and the parking garage. It's actually still in the master plan, but not sure if actively being worked on. See page 9 of 65. I felt this was a really quirky, creative, and collegiate idea, but probably why UNO will never end up doing it...

https://www.unomaha.edu/student-life/ho ... gstudy.pdf
Quirky indeed. But that would have been cool.
Hoping it still happens. It was part of a long range plan. No timetable ever announced. But, there isn't a ton you can do with infill on that land. So, it'll either be a few classrooms or dorms eventually. Not a lot of other areas to build on main campus.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by Louie »

omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 9:00 am
Louie wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 8:05 am
omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 7:39 am
Louie wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 6:45 pm
omaha79 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 11:49 am Interesting. They are slowly closing in Caniglia Field.

I wonder if the idea of a student housing building on the East side of Caniglia is still in play? the last master plan for UNO had a really cool student housing building that had balconies that looked out upon the soccer pitch. I loved that idea. I hope it comes to fruition someday and would be an extremely creative infill use for that small piece of land, give some housing on East campus, and hopefully push those that live there to be involved when soccer is played.
Like where the parking garage currently is?
No. Just the strip of green grass between the field and the parking garage. It's actually still in the master plan, but not sure if actively being worked on. See page 9 of 65. I felt this was a really quirky, creative, and collegiate idea, but probably why UNO will never end up doing it...

https://www.unomaha.edu/student-life/ho ... gstudy.pdf
Quirky indeed. But that would have been cool.
Hoping it still happens. It was part of a long range plan. No timetable ever announced. But, there isn't a ton you can do with infill on that land. So, it'll either be a few classrooms or dorms eventually. Not a lot of other areas to build on main campus.
Not without turning parking lots into garages at least. But it would definitely be nice to have more dorms on the main campus. Most of the newer dorms have been on the south campus and it just doesnt really feel like you are on a campus down there imo.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by omaha79 »

Louie wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 10:51 am
omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 9:00 am
Louie wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 8:05 am
omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 7:39 am
Louie wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 6:45 pm
omaha79 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 11:49 am Interesting. They are slowly closing in Caniglia Field.

I wonder if the idea of a student housing building on the East side of Caniglia is still in play? the last master plan for UNO had a really cool student housing building that had balconies that looked out upon the soccer pitch. I loved that idea. I hope it comes to fruition someday and would be an extremely creative infill use for that small piece of land, give some housing on East campus, and hopefully push those that live there to be involved when soccer is played.
Like where the parking garage currently is?
No. Just the strip of green grass between the field and the parking garage. It's actually still in the master plan, but not sure if actively being worked on. See page 9 of 65. I felt this was a really quirky, creative, and collegiate idea, but probably why UNO will never end up doing it...

https://www.unomaha.edu/student-life/ho ... gstudy.pdf
Quirky indeed. But that would have been cool.
Hoping it still happens. It was part of a long range plan. No timetable ever announced. But, there isn't a ton you can do with infill on that land. So, it'll either be a few classrooms or dorms eventually. Not a lot of other areas to build on main campus.
Not without turning parking lots into garages at least. But it would definitely be nice to have more dorms on the main campus. Most of the newer dorms have been on the south campus and it just doesnt really feel like you are on a campus down there imo.
I don't know what this means? the photo I linked would be a net neutral for parking. The garage on East side would not go anywhere. This would only fill in the land that used to house the metal bleachers on the football field that were taken out in 2012 when the field was converted to soccer. Nothing about the parking garage, or access to it would change.

So, I don't know why UNO would need more parking in this scenario.
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4936
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by Louie »

omaha79 wrote: Fri Nov 07, 2025 7:56 am
Louie wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 10:51 am
omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 9:00 am
Louie wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 8:05 am
omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 7:39 am
Louie wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 6:45 pm
omaha79 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 11:49 am Interesting. They are slowly closing in Caniglia Field.

I wonder if the idea of a student housing building on the East side of Caniglia is still in play? the last master plan for UNO had a really cool student housing building that had balconies that looked out upon the soccer pitch. I loved that idea. I hope it comes to fruition someday and would be an extremely creative infill use for that small piece of land, give some housing on East campus, and hopefully push those that live there to be involved when soccer is played.
Like where the parking garage currently is?
No. Just the strip of green grass between the field and the parking garage. It's actually still in the master plan, but not sure if actively being worked on. See page 9 of 65. I felt this was a really quirky, creative, and collegiate idea, but probably why UNO will never end up doing it...

https://www.unomaha.edu/student-life/ho ... gstudy.pdf
Quirky indeed. But that would have been cool.
Hoping it still happens. It was part of a long range plan. No timetable ever announced. But, there isn't a ton you can do with infill on that land. So, it'll either be a few classrooms or dorms eventually. Not a lot of other areas to build on main campus.
Not without turning parking lots into garages at least. But it would definitely be nice to have more dorms on the main campus. Most of the newer dorms have been on the south campus and it just doesnt really feel like you are on a campus down there imo.
I don't know what this means? the photo I linked would be a net neutral for parking. The garage on East side would not go anywhere. This would only fill in the land that used to house the metal bleachers on the football field that were taken out in 2012 when the field was converted to soccer. Nothing about the parking garage, or access to it would change.

So, I don't know why UNO would need more parking in this scenario.
I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to the fact that there are a lot of parking lots on the main campus and thats where the space for additional dorms would need to be sourced from (outside of the soccer stadium adjacent proposal) if they were to built on the main campus. That's all.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO-New Biomechanics Building

Post by omaha79 »

Louie wrote: Fri Nov 07, 2025 9:18 am
omaha79 wrote: Fri Nov 07, 2025 7:56 am
Louie wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 10:51 am
omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 9:00 am
Louie wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 8:05 am
omaha79 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 7:39 am
Louie wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 6:45 pm
omaha79 wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 11:49 am Interesting. They are slowly closing in Caniglia Field.

I wonder if the idea of a student housing building on the East side of Caniglia is still in play? the last master plan for UNO had a really cool student housing building that had balconies that looked out upon the soccer pitch. I loved that idea. I hope it comes to fruition someday and would be an extremely creative infill use for that small piece of land, give some housing on East campus, and hopefully push those that live there to be involved when soccer is played.
Like where the parking garage currently is?
No. Just the strip of green grass between the field and the parking garage. It's actually still in the master plan, but not sure if actively being worked on. See page 9 of 65. I felt this was a really quirky, creative, and collegiate idea, but probably why UNO will never end up doing it...

https://www.unomaha.edu/student-life/ho ... gstudy.pdf
Quirky indeed. But that would have been cool.
Hoping it still happens. It was part of a long range plan. No timetable ever announced. But, there isn't a ton you can do with infill on that land. So, it'll either be a few classrooms or dorms eventually. Not a lot of other areas to build on main campus.
Not without turning parking lots into garages at least. But it would definitely be nice to have more dorms on the main campus. Most of the newer dorms have been on the south campus and it just doesnt really feel like you are on a campus down there imo.
I don't know what this means? the photo I linked would be a net neutral for parking. The garage on East side would not go anywhere. This would only fill in the land that used to house the metal bleachers on the football field that were taken out in 2012 when the field was converted to soccer. Nothing about the parking garage, or access to it would change.

So, I don't know why UNO would need more parking in this scenario.
I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to the fact that there are a lot of parking lots on the main campus and thats where the space for additional dorms would need to be sourced from (outside of the soccer stadium adjacent proposal) if they were to built on the main campus. That's all.
I get you now. that makes sense. yes. unless they got rid of the pep bowl, which they've never wanted to do and shouldn't, there really isn't much room left on main campus. but, I never thought that they'd find a way to develop that area on the south side of Caniglia and they are now wrapping the entire area, which is a great use of limited space.