User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
OK, back by popular demand, (maybe round one was too easy)
Where in the metro was Coyote?

Image
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:29 pm
Location: West Omaha
eomaha
County Board
Oh well heck... that's an easy one.
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:29 pm
Location: West Omaha
eomaha
County Board
As long as we're trying to figure out buildings... does anyone have a name for this one? (I don't know myself!) Anyone know where it's at? Not just general area... but nearby landmarks, if not streets (I do know that)

Image
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
DTO Luv
City Council
Coyote's pic is along North 24th St. and Jeff's is somewhere along Leavenworth. I think.
DTO
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Jeff's photo is the building on the NE corner of 20th and Howard.
At first I thought it was a fire station, but apparently it has the initials NPCO
so maybe it is the Nebraska Power Co:
Image

and a cool alarm:

Image

edit: I just did a quick search and the Nebraska Power Co of Omaha (est. 1917)
was the last privately owned electric utility in Nebraska.
I believe electric utilities were made Public in 1945, so this building would pre-date 1945.



And DTO, yes my picture is from N 24th,
but can you name the building and its historical significance?
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
DTO Luv
City Council
If that building is by 24th and Lake like I think it is, it will probably have some sort of history. They had alot of black businesses in that area so it could have been a store or office of some kind.
DTO
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Oh - even more than just historical - this was a place of legends!
Finn
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:54 am
Location: DC
Finn
Parks & Recreation
It is the Jewell Building that housed Dreamland Hall where many national jazz acts used to play. Omaha used to have a pretty good jazz scene and this is the spot that brought in the big names (Louis Armstrong, etc.).
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Finn wins.

Dreamland Hall, located on the second floor of the Jewell Building, was a long-time club for big bands and jazz in Omaha. Included among those who played there were Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong and Lionel Hampton. James Jewell, Jr., who managed Dreamland until it closed in the 1960’s, booked the original Nat King Cole Trio for $25 per man.

An influential man in the African-American community, James Jewell allowed activist Whitney Young to speak at Dreamland Hall about the civil rights movement in America. Today the renovated Jewell Building is used for offices and apartments

Also - starting in 1930 the Coronation Ball (King and Queen Borealis) sponsored by St. Phillip the Deacon Church was held here.
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm
Yahoo Messenger: jestcoyote
Location: Aksarben Village
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
For the Record: I checked a 1936 phone book, and it lists a Nebraska Power Co sub station at 20th and Howard.
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:35 am
Location: Omaha
User avatar
Zephyr
Human Relations
Coyote, thanks for the Omaha jazz history! Jass is my absolute favorite music. This year would actually be Count Basie's 100th birthday. I really wish Omaha could have a 24/7 jazz station, I sure enjoy the one in Denver.
eomaha
County Board
Posts: 4176
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:29 pm
Location: West Omaha
eomaha
County Board
We just got our transportable XM receiver yesterday ... I don't think I'll listen to a local station again. :)
DMRyan
Human Relations
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:07 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
DMRyan
Human Relations
You'll love satelite radio. Seriously the best purchase I've made all year.