Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by Athomsfere »

almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 9:42 am E-bikes are irritating to me as a cyclist because generally the riders zip around without following basic courtesy like "on your left" or act like the entire path is theirs to obliviously ride two or three abreast. That and the n00bs who have no idea how to control an electric motorcycle and just fly off the path when they smash the throttle.
But is that PAS only or the emoto nonsense they sell as ebikes?
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by Busguy2010 »

almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 9:42 am E-bikes are irritating to me as a cyclist because generally the riders zip around without following basic courtesy like "on your left" or act like the entire path is theirs to obliviously ride two or three abreast. That and the n00bs who have no idea how to control an electric motorcycle and just fly off the path when they smash the throttle.
All of this. I dont hate E-bikes in principle, but the people that ride them just ruin the idea.

I use the trail almost daily, mainly for a stress relieving walk or jog. And sometimes I'll go for a bike ride. I have no idea how fast I'm going, but I'm definitely not trying to break any speed records. If I had to guess, I might maintain a comfortable stroll.

Trail rules even state a recommended speed limit of 20, meaning its meant for recreation. Quite honestly, most of the people I see cruising the trail on E-bikes look like drug dealers, or otherwise up to no good.

Circling back to the bike tunnel. In theory it would be a good thing, but there's too many bad apples out there.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106374
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by almighty_tuna »

Athomsfere wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 11:38 am
almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 9:42 am E-bikes are irritating to me as a cyclist because generally the riders zip around without following basic courtesy like "on your left" or act like the entire path is theirs to obliviously ride two or three abreast. That and the n00bs who have no idea how to control an electric motorcycle and just fly off the path when they smash the throttle.
But is that PAS only or the emoto nonsense they sell as ebikes?
The PAS crowd is more apt to just take up the whole trail and toodle around like extras in a pharmaceutical commercial. The emotos just kind of go wherever and seem to cater more to those who are trying to get from A to B or commute on a bike path.
Athomsfere
Planning Board
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by Athomsfere »

almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 12:50 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 11:38 am
almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 9:42 am E-bikes are irritating to me as a cyclist because generally the riders zip around without following basic courtesy like "on your left" or act like the entire path is theirs to obliviously ride two or three abreast. That and the n00bs who have no idea how to control an electric motorcycle and just fly off the path when they smash the throttle.
But is that PAS only or the emoto nonsense they sell as ebikes?
The PAS crowd is more apt to just take up the whole trail and toodle around like extras in a pharmaceutical commercial. The emotos just kind of go wherever and seem to cater more to those who are trying to get from A to B or commute on a bike path.
I can't say with any certainty there.

I have 3 bikes I regularly use on the streets and trails. A road bike, a steel bike, and a PAS hybrid.
My PAS I think I actually get the worst average speed because the gearing is weird (for now). I also just use the PAS to not work out.

But I'd say for me, I ride all three about the same.

I've certainly seen a lot of bigger ebikes taking up the whole path too. But I've found the walkers with earbuds in to be the bigger issue on the Ketstone / Chisolm etc.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106374
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by almighty_tuna »

Athomsfere wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 2:50 pm I've found the walkers with earbuds in to be the bigger issue on the Ketstone / Chisolm etc.
As long as they walk on the side of the path and don't go all surprised Pikachu when they get passed because they can't hear an "on your left" I haven't really had much of an issue on West Papio. The biggest issue I run into on that trail besides the ebikes are the parents who set up shop on the trail with their lawn chairs and pop-up canopies near the sports fields; mostly the ballfields to the northwest of Hobby Lobby and soccer field in the park near Boozer.

Everything from the Tyson plant southeast is usually joggers or cyclists who seem used to other trail users. Of course, once you get past Culver's and merge w/the Keystone, the trail is near barren all the way to the east side of Offutt.

Really wish the city would properly connect the West Papio from Hobby Lobby to the Tyson plant with a dedicated trail and ROW.
User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 10812
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by iamjacobm »

This might not be the best place for this as it isn't solely bike path focused, but I found the exhibits laying out the planned separated bike lanes throughout the east side of town to be the most interesting info. The housing comments in here are a bit more vague.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ust/13.pdf
User avatar
WorldStreet
Library Board
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:46 am
Location: Omaha/Shanghai

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by WorldStreet »

Athomsfere wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 2:50 pm
almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 12:50 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 11:38 am
almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Jul 28, 2025 9:42 am E-bikes are irritating to me as a cyclist because generally the riders zip around without following basic courtesy like "on your left" or act like the entire path is theirs to obliviously ride two or three abreast. That and the n00bs who have no idea how to control an electric motorcycle and just fly off the path when they smash the throttle.
But is that PAS only or the emoto nonsense they sell as ebikes?
The PAS crowd is more apt to just take up the whole trail and toodle around like extras in a pharmaceutical commercial. The emotos just kind of go wherever and seem to cater more to those who are trying to get from A to B or commute on a bike path.
I can't say with any certainty there.

I have 3 bikes I regularly use on the streets and trails. A road bike, a steel bike, and a PAS hybrid.
My PAS I think I actually get the worst average speed because the gearing is weird (for now). I also just use the PAS to not work out.

But I'd say for me, I ride all three about the same.

I've certainly seen a lot of bigger ebikes taking up the whole path too. But I've found the walkers with earbuds in to be the bigger issue on the Ketstone / Chisolm etc.
I take the field club trail everyday alternating between my regular hybrid bike and a fat tire E-bike that I've had for five years. I always announce my presence and slow down to 15 mph or less when passing pedestrians/joggers. Along with the earbuds, I also regularly come across people with limited English who do not understand that I plan on passing on the left. However, the most challenging pedestrians to pass are often the two side-by-side baby carriages taking up 3/4 of the trail. There are also some nice interactions. Last week, one lady yelled "thank you, you're the first one to announce their presence." I also agree with others here that there are many bikers that are way too fast and aggressive with no courtesy towards other pedestrians or bikers.
Steve
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by Busguy2010 »

WorldStreet wrote: Fri Aug 01, 2025 1:22 am I have 3 bikes I take the field club trail everyday alternating between my regular hybrid bike and a fat tire E-bike that I've had for five years. I always announce my presence and slow down to 15 mph or less when passing pedestrians/joggers. Along with the earbuds, I also regularly come across people with limited English who do not understand that I plan on passing on the left. However, the most challenging pedestrians to pass are often the two side-by-side baby carriages taking up 3/4 of the trail. There are also some nice interactions. Last week, one lady yelled "thank you, you're the first one to announce their presence." I also agree with others here that there are many bikers that are way too fast and aggressive with no courtesy towards other pedestrians or bikers.
Thank you for that. If everybody was like you, there'd be nothing to complain about.

Its probably less an issue of the machine itself, but it facilitates a lack of common courtesy. And I see a lot of that, whether it be walkers or bikers. The other day, I was walking the trail and someone on a regular bike announced they're passing. I didn't have my phone, no ear buds, nothing. As he passed, I moved over to the right as far as I could. He said thank you, and I gave him an appreciative hand signal. It was a very simple interaction. It felt good, but also weird, because it's just so rare.

I loathe passing through the UNO area because of all the disregarding kids. I often come across groups of college kids slow walking and taking up the whole trail, totally oblivious to the outside world. I often just run the sidewalk, the street, parking lots and grass in between Pacific and Center.

Since 98% of those I encounter lack common (or is it uncommon now?) courtesy, I continually fantasize that the trail was twice as wide. In an ideal world, it was wide enough when built, but nowadays I think they should be 12 to 14 feet wide.
User avatar
WorldStreet
Library Board
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:46 am
Location: Omaha/Shanghai

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by WorldStreet »

Busguy2010 wrote: Fri Aug 01, 2025 1:37 pm
WorldStreet wrote: Fri Aug 01, 2025 1:22 am I have 3 bikes I take the field club trail everyday alternating between my regular hybrid bike and a fat tire E-bike that I've had for five years. I always announce my presence and slow down to 15 mph or less when passing pedestrians/joggers. Along with the earbuds, I also regularly come across people with limited English who do not understand that I plan on passing on the left. However, the most challenging pedestrians to pass are often the two side-by-side baby carriages taking up 3/4 of the trail. There are also some nice interactions. Last week, one lady yelled "thank you, you're the first one to announce their presence." I also agree with others here that there are many bikers that are way too fast and aggressive with no courtesy towards other pedestrians or bikers.
Thank you for that. If everybody was like you, there'd be nothing to complain about.

Its probably less an issue of the machine itself, but it facilitates a lack of common courtesy. And I see a lot of that, whether it be walkers or bikers. The other day, I was walking the trail and someone on a regular bike announced they're passing. I didn't have my phone, no ear buds, nothing. As he passed, I moved over to the right as far as I could. He said thank you, and I gave him an appreciative hand signal. It was a very simple interaction. It felt good, but also weird, because it's just so rare.

I loathe passing through the UNO area because of all the disregarding kids. I often come across groups of college kids slow walking and taking up the whole trail, totally oblivious to the outside world. I often just run the sidewalk, the street, parking lots and grass in between Pacific and Center.

Since 98% of those I encounter lack common (or is it uncommon now?) courtesy, I continually fantasize that the trail was twice as wide. In an ideal world, it was wide enough when built, but nowadays I think they should be 12 to 14 feet wide.
Yea, these friendly interactions have become pretty rare. In Shanghai, quite a few bike trails, including the popular riverfront trails, are only for bikes, with a parallel trail only for pedestrians. That makes everyone happy except for when out of town tourists walk in the bike lanes.
Steve
locoluke
Home Owners Association
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2025 11:16 pm

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by locoluke »

Went to checkout the new bike lane on 19th between Leavenworth and Harney. I believe this is only the second instance of green paint being applied to an Omaha street (the first being the “bike box” at 14th and Leavenworth). The left turn box at Leavenworth was neat to see as well as the curb extensions at Jackson. It ends rather unceremoniously at Harney.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Jobbers Canyon Truther
:hammer:
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3273
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Nice! Glad these are buffered as well. Hopefully in the future we can start seeing some that are protected.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
User avatar
remline
Library Board
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by remline »

locoluke wrote: Tue Aug 26, 2025 10:18 pm The left turn box at Leavenworth was neat to see as well as the curb extensions at Jackson.
Thank you for the interesting bike lane photographs. Please forgive my ignorance—how does the left turn box work?
locoluke
Home Owners Association
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2025 11:16 pm

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by locoluke »

remline wrote: Wed Aug 27, 2025 9:40 am
locoluke wrote: Tue Aug 26, 2025 10:18 pm The left turn box at Leavenworth was neat to see as well as the curb extensions at Jackson.
Thank you for the interesting bike lane photographs. Please forgive my ignorance—how does the left turn box work?
It’s intended to address the problems that would stem from a cyclist turning left from a right hand bike lane without forcing the cyclist to merge into traffic.

With a green light on Leavenworth, one would proceed east crossing 19th and then stop in the box and point their bike northward. Then, when the light for 19th turns green, they would proceed north across Leavenworth and into the bike lane on 19th.
Jobbers Canyon Truther
:hammer:
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by Busguy2010 »

Just heard Papillion is starting to police their sections of trail due to unauthorized vehicles.

I say GOOD, and Omaha should do the same. I dont know what the frick these people are thinking, but just the other day, I saw a group of motor bikes along with a UTV on the Keystone trail.