Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).
Padre
Human Relations
Posts: 929
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Padre »

Padre wrote: Mon Oct 20, 2025 7:38 pm From Omaha Scanner
Flight SKW6469 enroute to LA from Omaha is enroute back to Eppley after a report of multiple people that were trying to breach the cockpit.
Now saying it was “a staff issue.” Sounds like the intercom didn’t work, and the flight attendants were trying to get ahold of the pilot by banging on the cockpit door!
Bearcat06
Library Board
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Bearcat06 »

Padre wrote: Mon Oct 20, 2025 7:38 pm From Omaha Scanner
Flight SKW6469 enroute to LA from Omaha is enroute back to Eppley after a report of multiple people that were trying to breach the cockpit.
Sounds like the flight crew lost comms with the pilots and were trying to let them know. Seems like there would be a better fail safe than just banging on the cockpit door though.
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Mr.Nuke »

September was up 1.5% over last September, down 1.4% YTD. And for the 2nd consecutive month if anyone at the airport authority is watching total passengers for the year are off by 20 (August error continued).
https://www.flyoma.com/wp-content/uploa ... istics.pdf
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Brad »

A private jet, VJT762, just landed at Eppley from Tbilisi International Airport, in Georgia, the country, not the state. It was a 13 hour flight.
riceweb
Human Relations
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by riceweb »

Some type of global ferry plane?
GenX
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1231
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by GenX »

Padre wrote: Mon Oct 20, 2025 7:46 pm Now saying it was “a staff issue.” Sounds like the intercom didn’t work, and the flight attendants were trying to get ahold of the pilot by banging on the cockpit door!
This is why they’re supposed to do their terminations before departure.
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Mr.Nuke »

skip
Library Board
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:36 pm
Location: Midtown

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by skip »

Huge! I've enjoyed the escape lounges I've visited in the past.
BuildTaller
Home Owners Association
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2025 9:57 am

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by BuildTaller »

Sounds great. Hopefully it is successful. I can honestly see it going either way.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by almighty_tuna »

Can anyone comment on the importance of having a lounge when it comes to Omaha's potential to increase passenger number through layovers? Is it a driver of additional passenger traffic, is it irrelevant?
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Mr.Nuke »

almighty_tuna wrote: Thu Oct 23, 2025 10:01 am Can anyone comment on the importance of having a lounge when it comes to Omaha's potential to increase passenger number through layovers? Is it a driver of additional passenger traffic, is it irrelevant?
The latter.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by almighty_tuna »

Mr.Nuke wrote: Thu Oct 23, 2025 12:22 pm The latter.
Image

Thanks, Nuke! IIRC someone mentioned that not having full service restaurants, other retail options on the gate side of security was a limiting factor for Eppley in capturing layover business/traffic in the past but wasn't sure if a lounge played into that at all. Guess not!
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Mr.Nuke »

almighty_tuna wrote: Thu Oct 23, 2025 12:28 pm
Mr.Nuke wrote: Thu Oct 23, 2025 12:22 pm The latter.
Image

Thanks, Nuke! IIRC someone mentioned that not having full service restaurants, other retail options on the gate side of security was a limiting factor for Eppley in capturing layover business/traffic in the past but wasn't sure if a lounge played into that at all. Guess not!
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was joleo that noted Southwest historically wouldn't connect passengers through an airport that didn't have a sit down restaurant. Southwest already now allows connections through Eppley, and is under the threat of an activist investor. Especially over the past 30+ years airlines are in full hub to spoke model or point to point direct service i.e. Eppley isn't going to nor should they plan on having many if any connecting passengers. This lounge is an amenity for people waiting on a flight out of Omaha.
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106377
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by almighty_tuna »

Your insight is always appreciated, Nuke.
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Bob from Omaha »

Bottom line is that it's another weapon in their arsenal. I don't know the numbers but there should be revenue to OAA. I'm assuming the build out is on the tenant. I fail to see a downside to this. Will it bring flights to Europe or Asia? Doubtful. The latest greatest hub? Nah. Will folks from Minneapolis drive down for a flight because OMA has a lounge? Ok. Enough of that. But amenities are a good thing.

Also, those who are looking for something to whine about aren't going to be able to say "They don't even have a lounge" and are going to have to b i t c h about something else.
Bob from Omaha
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4336
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by thenewguy »

It looks great, I'm glad they have it. One thing that I have run into at Eppley (pre-reconstruction) is seating in/near the food areas around peak departure times. It's not a big deal to sit at the gate and eat your pizza, but having the additional space will surely help the feel of it all
Go Cubs Go
BuildTaller
Home Owners Association
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2025 9:57 am

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by BuildTaller »

Bob from Omaha wrote: Thu Oct 23, 2025 7:40 pmI fail to see a downside to this.
Over crowded since it's the new cool thing for people with the means.
People drinking too much free booze.
People using the lounge too much and the businesses in the terminal struggle.

Just throwing some ideas out. I've only ever used the lounges when flying business/first. I've never been to a paid lounge.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Greg S »

thenewguy wrote: Fri Oct 24, 2025 6:44 am It looks great, I'm glad they have it. One thing that I have run into at Eppley (pre-reconstruction) is seating in/near the food areas around peak departure times. It's not a big deal to sit at the gate and eat your pizza, but having the additional space will surely help the feel of it all
I think this is a good addition. Didn’t realize until I saw the Grow Omaha newsletter that it’s the same company that runs the one in KC (and others). If I had been paying better attention would have figured it out as the name is the same. The one in KC is nice. If you are using it, it’s cheaper if you pre pay.

Greg
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Bob from Omaha »

BuildTaller wrote: Fri Oct 24, 2025 8:52 am
Bob from Omaha wrote: Thu Oct 23, 2025 7:40 pmI fail to see a downside to this.
Over crowded since it's the new cool thing for people with the means.Maybe but that will end pretty quickly
People drinking too much free booze.There are regulations and the airlines deal with drunks all the time
People using the lounge too much and the businesses in the terminal struggle.Let's do the math. 5.25 million/365/10hours=about 1,450 humans per hour more or less. Not everyone will get plowed so some might grab a Runza anyway

Just throwing some ideas out. I've only ever used the lounges when flying business/first. I've never been to a paid lounge.
I've been to lots of lounges around the world. MY experience is that very very few are overdoing the free drink bonus.

You've made some good points but OMA is getting one anyway. Pad up & go to OMA anyway.
Bob from Omaha
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by damonhynes »

BuildTaller wrote: Fri Oct 24, 2025 8:52 am
Bob from Omaha wrote: Thu Oct 23, 2025 7:40 pmI fail to see a downside to this.
Over crowded since it's the new cool thing for people with the means.
People drinking too much free booze.
People using the lounge too much and the businesses in the terminal struggle.

Just throwing some ideas out. I've only ever used the lounges when flying business/first. I've never been to a paid lounge.
I've been to the United lounges at DEN and IAH and I've always had to pay for my (watered down) drinks.

As for doing a day's business in the lounge, UA has taken to only allowing you in the lounge if your flight is scheduled to leave in the next 90 minutes. Assuming there's room in the lounge, that is.
riceweb
Human Relations
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by riceweb »

We've been in the EWR lounge many hours before a United Airlines flight, so that 90 minute rule is definitely not policy. They might limit access if things are really busy, of course.

And you don't pay for drinks at the United lounges. That's not how it works.
halgy
Home Owners Association
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:09 pm
Location: Downtown Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by halgy »

I think in some lounges you might be able to pay for top shelf booze, but in my experience there's always free options.

Anyway, other Escape Lounges are part of the Priority Pass network, so I imagine this one will be, too. As such, I imagine this will mostly be used by frequent and business travelers who have access through a credit card. I doubt that most people will pay for lounge access when the normal food and drink options are so excellent.

Still, it is a nice option to have.
riceweb
Human Relations
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by riceweb »

I think the Escape Lounge will be really useful for those that drive a ways to OMA. I know my in-laws like to get to the airport early when they're driving a few hours to OMA, because they don't know if anything will come up en route (or maybe they forget something and they only notice after they've driven 30 minutes down the road, etc.). So most of the time they'd be at Eppley a good 3 hours before their flight. The lounge would suit them.
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Mr.Nuke »

damonhynes wrote: Fri Oct 24, 2025 7:14 pm I've been to the United lounges at DEN and IAH and I've always had to pay for my (watered down) drinks.
As other said you were probably doing this wrong then (especially refering to "watered down drinks". United has and has always had complimentary beers/wines/spirits. If you are requesting something else then yeah you may have to pay, but there is also no reason to be paying for anything in a United Club either...
damonhynes wrote: Fri Oct 24, 2025 7:14 pm As for doing a day's business in the lounge, UA has taken to only allowing you in the lounge if your flight is scheduled to leave in the next 90 minutes. Assuming there's room in the lounge, that is.
This also isn't correct. UA's stated policy is to allow you in 3 hours before your flight if O/D, if connecting the 3 hours does not apply. The 3 hours mirrors most escape lounges.
riceweb wrote: Sun Oct 26, 2025 9:52 am I think the Escape Lounge will be really useful for those that drive a ways to OMA. I know my in-laws like to get to the airport early when they're driving a few hours to OMA, because they don't know if anything will come up en route (or maybe they forget something and they only notice after they've driven 30 minutes down the road, etc.). So most of the time they'd be at Eppley a good 3 hours before their flight. The lounge would suit them.
It may be if they know about, but I'm not trying to be stereotypical here, but the typical demographic that is driving hours to OMA is unlikely to have a credit card/priority pass that gives them access or to know what an airport lounge is. I'm not disagreeing that it would be beneficial in cases like your in-laws, I just don't think that is going to be the clientele.
Bob from Omaha
Planning Board
Posts: 3079
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Bob from Omaha »

Mr.Nuke wrote: Mon Oct 27, 2025 3:25 pm It may be if they know about, but I'm not trying to be stereotypical here, but the typical demographic that is driving hours to OMA is unlikely to have a credit card/priority pass that gives them access or to know what an airport lounge is. I'm not disagreeing that it would be beneficial in cases like your in-laws, I just don't think that is going to be the clientele.
As always you might be right. On the other hand you'd be surprised who racks up the miles on cards. Especially business cards but personal ones too. Not every yokel in Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota & Kansas lives in a barn. I'm just saying.
Bob from Omaha
User avatar
Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 4886
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Linkin5 »

Now I’m wondering where Damonhynes was going in those airports. Was he getting cut off for drinks at Sbarro.
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Bob from Omaha wrote: Mon Oct 27, 2025 3:52 pm
Mr.Nuke wrote: Mon Oct 27, 2025 3:25 pm It may be if they know about, but I'm not trying to be stereotypical here, but the typical demographic that is driving hours to OMA is unlikely to have a credit card/priority pass that gives them access or to know what an airport lounge is. I'm not disagreeing that it would be beneficial in cases like your in-laws, I just don't think that is going to be the clientele.
As always you might be right. On the other hand you'd be surprised who racks up the miles on cards. Especially business cards but personal ones too. Not every yokel in Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota & Kansas lives in a barn. I'm just saying.
Nope totally get it and some of the "yokels" living in a "barn" also have the high spending cards. I just don't think those people are probably the target of the lounge. It is going to be the people on business trips with expense accounts/travel a lot/have card access types. That is how these independent lounges make their money. Again I'm not discounting riceweb's case, because it is a good one... Just don't think that is the overall target audience.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Brad »

You can pay $45 and go in the lounge without a credit card. Not a terrible option if you want to grab food and drink before you hop on a plane. I’m sure people were racking up $45 on a couple slices of godfathers and drinks at crackie mcGees in the past. Best part about the lounge is you don’t hear all the annoying announcements in the terminal.
riceweb
Human Relations
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by riceweb »

Mr.Nuke wrote: Mon Oct 27, 2025 6:18 pm Nope totally get it and some of the "yokels" living in a "barn" also have the high spending cards. I just don't think those people are probably the target of the lounge. It is going to be the people on business trips with expense accounts/travel a lot/have card access types. That is how these independent lounges make their money. Again I'm not discounting riceweb's case, because it is a good one... Just don't think that is the overall target audience.
I was actually thinking we'd gift a pass for them when they fly because you're right, they wouldn't think to buy it themselves, but we know how much they dislike flying, and it would be something to make their travel day a bit better.
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by damonhynes »

Linkin5 wrote: Mon Oct 27, 2025 5:44 pm Now I’m wondering where Damonhynes was going in those airports. Was he getting cut off for drinks at Sbarro.
:lol:
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Mr.Nuke »

riceweb wrote: Tue Oct 28, 2025 1:06 am
Mr.Nuke wrote: Mon Oct 27, 2025 6:18 pm Nope totally get it and some of the "yokels" living in a "barn" also have the high spending cards. I just don't think those people are probably the target of the lounge. It is going to be the people on business trips with expense accounts/travel a lot/have card access types. That is how these independent lounges make their money. Again I'm not discounting riceweb's case, because it is a good one... Just don't think that is the overall target audience.
I was actually thinking we'd gift a pass for them when they fly because you're right, they wouldn't think to buy it themselves, but we know how much they dislike flying, and it would be something to make their travel day a bit better.
That would be a great gift.
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by damonhynes »

riceweb wrote: Sat Oct 25, 2025 10:42 am We've been in the EWR lounge many hours before a United Airlines flight, so that 90 minute rule is definitely not policy. They might limit access if things are really busy, of course.

And you don't pay for drinks at the United lounges. That's not how it works.
Thanks, y'all! I posted on Flyertalk and I was sorta-right. kinda-wrong. Reply:

As of May 1st it is 3 hours not 90 minutes and only applies to one time passes and only at the origin airport -- club members can enter at any time (as was the old policy for OTPs). As a general rule I don't drink alcohol while I'm flying so I'm less certain on that front but as I recall beer, wine and some well liquor is free while the nicer/fancier stuff has a cost.

I was using one-time passes, not a Club membership.

(Point is almost moot, since I generally only make two RTs a year and since Chase cranked the card fee to $150, I'm making other plans.)
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036568
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Brad »

Building Permit for 3 General Aviation Hangers. Wonder if these are a replacement for the hangers destroyed by the 2024 Tornado?
Building Permit wrote:Omaha Airport Authority General Aviation Hangars - 73740 SF -
Original Description: Replacement of 3 Hangar Buildings General Aviation Eppley Airfield
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Greg S »

Nice pics! Wow, that TSA line though....
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by djc311 »

Greg S wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 9:59 am Nice pics! Wow, that TSA line though....
Man, that's bad! I'm assuming it's partly related to the govt. shutdown. I just flew out mid-Oct but didn't leave until around 9am and there was nearly no line at all. They did tell me they get slammed at specific times of the day (mainly early AM).

Anyway, glad I wasn't leaving when you took that - puts one in a mood before getting crammed into a tin can that will be in the air for a couple of hours! LOL
joleo
Library Board
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: Des Moines

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by joleo »

Greg S wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 9:59 am Nice pics! Wow, that TSA line though....
That's a crazy line! I've gone through TSA I think 18 times since Sept 1st and never had more than a 5 minute line anywhere! Airports I went through TSA or Security in: DSM, DEN, ORD, IND, MEX, SJD, MCO, PWM AND BOS.

TSA seems way better than it used to be so that line surprises me....TSA with new machines is way quicker! I'm TSA pre but still never say a line at any airport, I think IND was the worst and that was 5 minutes for both TSA and TSA Pre from the looks. Gov't staffing issues maybe?
Louie
County Board
Posts: 4937
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Louie »

djc311 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 10:13 am
Greg S wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 9:59 am Nice pics! Wow, that TSA line though....
Man, that's bad! I'm assuming it's partly related to the govt. shutdown.
Houston was projecting 3 hour TSA lines.
Mr.Nuke
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by Mr.Nuke »

djc311 wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 10:13 am
Greg S wrote: Mon Nov 03, 2025 9:59 am Nice pics! Wow, that TSA line though....
Man, that's bad! I'm assuming it's partly related to the govt. shutdown. I just flew out mid-Oct but didn't leave until around 9am and there was nearly no line at all. They did tell me they get slammed at specific times of the day (mainly early AM).

Anyway, glad I wasn't leaving when you took that - puts one in a mood before getting crammed into a tin can that will be in the air for a couple of hours! LOL
Your leaving at 9 probably made more of difference than anything. This was a random day in March, but note that the two busiest hours for departures were 5 and 6 a.m. and then it drops off. That line looks fairly standard to me for one of those two early morning hours.


Image
SkyWarrior55
Home Owners Association
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:59 am

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by SkyWarrior55 »



Allegiant adds GUF from OMA. Looks like start date is May 21st.
User avatar
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1278
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Montgomery County, Texas

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield - DISCUSSION

Post by damonhynes »

SkyWarrior55 wrote: Mon Nov 17, 2025 7:31 pm

Allegiant adds GUF from OMA. Looks like start date is May 21st.
Gulf Shores is in a very pretty part of Alabama. GUF is already the third-busiest airport in the state. Foley and Daphne are nice-sized towns. Buc-ee's, Wawa and Publix--what more do you need? :-)

Too bad that G4's seats are cinderblocks.