Fast Food Talk Thread

Humor and off topic conversation
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

And they give you a cute lil dinosaur bag :lol:
I'm sold, I can no longer resist.
Image
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think you also get free ice cream on the side of the bag.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by djc311 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Oct 29, 2025 10:53 pm I think you also get free ice cream on the side of the bag.
My wife suggested Culvers last week, and she suggested the four of us all get kids meals. The burger is basically the same size as a normal cheeseburger, probably a few less french fries and the drink cup is smaller as well. However, they were about $6.50 or so per meal instead of $11-$12. But another point about Culvers is they also have the coupon on the bag as well for their custard.

I used to order Happy Meals from McDonald's if I wasn't incredibly hungry, but with their $5 and $6 meals, I just get those now.

I don't like spending $12 on a fast food (drive thru) meal, be it McDonald's, Arby's, Cane's, etc - Although I will say at Cane's if you get their "box meal", I think it's about $12 but comes with 4 pieces of chicken. I usually save 1/2 for a second meal. Serves two purposes for me; I don't feel as guilty by eating it all at once and I also don't feel AS gross if I were to eat it all at one time.

Is the Runza in their kid's meal a "mini" Runza? We had a friend that used to order a box of those for their Halloween parties each year, but I think they've gotten too expensive to justify it (the minis run about $3-$4/each I think now).
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by ChadJK »

djc311 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 8:02 am I don't like spending $12 on a fast food (drive thru) meal, be it McDonald's, Arby's, Cane's, etc - Although I will say at Cane's if you get their "box meal", I think it's about $12 but comes with 4 pieces of chicken.
Considering most of the bar and grills around here have daily lunch specials, then you can go get a hot meal in a full service restaurant and (if you stick with ice water) your bill will be about the same. If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by djc311 »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 10:49 am
djc311 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 8:02 am I don't like spending $12 on a fast food (drive thru) meal, be it McDonald's, Arby's, Cane's, etc - Although I will say at Cane's if you get their "box meal", I think it's about $12 but comes with 4 pieces of chicken.
Considering most of the bar and grills around here have daily lunch specials, then you can go get a hot meal in a full service restaurant and (if you stick with ice water) your bill will be about the same. If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.
That is true - and I agree, if I'm going to spend that amount for lunch that's a better meal. I've mentioned I like the pizza deal at Varsity over on Q St. If I contain myself, I can split that into two meals. :lol:
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Oct 29, 2025 10:53 pm I think you also get free ice cream on the side of the bag.
Good call! I would have never known that. Well that just boosts the value of the kids meal even more. Shoot, every meal should be a kid's meal. They come with a free ice cream cone too!? Game over man. Why would you not buy a kid's meal? Lol. My mind is blown
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by skinzfan23 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 11:06 am Good call! I would have never known that. Well that just boosts the value of the kids meal even more. Shoot, every meal should be a kid's meal. They come with a free ice cream cone too!? Game over man. Why would you not buy a kid's meal? Lol. My mind is blown
My kids never let me forget it.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

djc311 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 11:00 am
ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 10:49 am
djc311 wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 8:02 am I don't like spending $12 on a fast food (drive thru) meal, be it McDonald's, Arby's, Cane's, etc - Although I will say at Cane's if you get their "box meal", I think it's about $12 but comes with 4 pieces of chicken.
Considering most of the bar and grills around here have daily lunch specials, then you can go get a hot meal in a full service restaurant and (if you stick with ice water) your bill will be about the same. If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.
That is true - and I agree, if I'm going to spend that amount for lunch that's a better meal. I've mentioned I like the pizza deal at Varsity over on Q St. If I contain myself, I can split that into two meals. :lol:
I'm so over spending up to or into the teens for any meal, let alone a fast food one. For example, the King Kong steak special. Yeah, real special lol. Last time I got it, it was $17.99, when back in the day it actually felt like a special at $6.99.

Prices today are so ridonkadonk, I'm better served to just save the gas, save the money, save the time, and go home and eat a can of sardines and some store brand woven wheats. Cheaper and healthier. Not my favorite meal, but ya know, it says a lot.

Them fast food companies are pricing everything like they're the only source of sustenance.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Brad »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 10:49 am If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.
I haven't had a good hot beef in a while. What bar has them on special?
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by ChadJK »

Brad wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 2:51 pm
ChadJK wrote: Thu Oct 30, 2025 10:49 am If I can get, for example, an open-faced hot beef sandwich smothered in gravy, served with real mashed potatoes, and a vegetable for the same price as a national chain fast food combo meal, then why in the heck would I go get fast food? I'd say speed of service, but the bar and grills are pretty darn quick when you order their daily special.
I haven't had a good hot beef in a while. What bar has them on special?
Most do (it seems). I was collecting a list of daily specials nearby and it seemed like every bar and grill had the same core items as daily lunch specials: Chicken Fried Steak, Tacos, Hot Beef Sandwich, Meatloaf, Salisbury Steak, Burger, Steak.... it became laughably predictable after a little while.

Ref's has Hot Beef on Monday, Jimbo's Diner has Beef Tips on Monday, Shirley's Diner has Roast Beef on Thursdays and Beef Tips on Fridays, Moran's Grill has Hot Beef on Tuesdays, Winchesters has Hot Beef on Tuesdays, Brownies has hot beef on Tuesdays...

I stopped maintaining my list when I found out Grow Omaha has one:
https://growomaha.com/daily-specials/
Last edited by ChadJK on Tue Nov 04, 2025 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan
Library Board
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Stan »

2 thumbs up for the Winchester.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Arby's)

Post by ChadJK »

Has anyone tried Arby's new Steak Nuggets? I'm a little scared to. lol I've not seen a good review of them yet on social media that wasn't sponsored (even then I've never seen them take more than one bite). I've heard them describe as being very similar to nugget beef jerky.

https://www.arbys.com/menu/steak-nuggets/
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

I won't try them. All I can imagine is dry, well done steak. Even the picture looks like "why"?

The poor cows. It just made me thing on King of the hill clip about "defaming beef" I'd say these things qualify lol

Last edited by Busguy2010 on Tue Nov 04, 2025 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padre
Human Relations
Posts: 929
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Padre »

My wife has tried them a couple times. She said they’re ok, but in her words, “it’s just meat!” She said it was better with the bbq sauce they give out with it.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Arby's)

Post by Brad »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 2:44 pm Has anyone tried Arby's new Steak Nuggets? I'm a little scared to. lol I've not seen a good review of them yet on social media that wasn't sponsored (even then I've never seen them take more than one bite). I've heard them describe as being very similar to nugget beef jerky.

https://www.arbys.com/menu/steak-nuggets/
I tried them once out of curiosity. There were ok, but I probably won't get them again.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by ChadJK »

Popeye's whole Cajun Turkey for Thanksgiving is $74.99 if you pick it up or $99.99 if you want it delivered. That's just the turkey. No sides.

https://turkeys.popeyes.com/
Last edited by ChadJK on Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 5:34 pm Popeye's whole Cajun Turkey for Thanksgiving is $74.99 if you pick it up or $99.99 if you want it delivered. That's just the turkey. No sides.

https://turkeys.popeyes.com/
You can get a smoked Thanksgiving Turkey from Hog Wild BBQ on S 108th St for under $60.00. They supply the turkey and of course smoke it- and it is great. My 4th straight year of getting one from there…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Arby's)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 3:18 pm
ChadJK wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2025 2:44 pm Has anyone tried Arby's new Steak Nuggets? I'm a little scared to. lol I've not seen a good review of them yet on social media that wasn't sponsored (even then I've never seen them take more than one bite). I've heard them describe as being very similar to nugget beef jerky.

https://www.arbys.com/menu/steak-nuggets/
I tried them once out of curiosity. There were ok, but I probably won't get them again.
Same. They were okay. Might get them again, but won’t go out of my way..

For fast food, a fairly healthy option…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Brad »

The Philly Cheesesteak Runza is back.
User avatar
remline
Library Board
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by remline »

Brad wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 8:02 pm The Philly Cheesesteak Runza is back.
"We meat again."
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by Busguy2010 »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 5:34 pm Popeye's whole Cajun Turkey for Thanksgiving is $74.99 if you pick it up or $99.99 if you want it delivered. That's just the turkey. No sides.

https://turkeys.popeyes.com/
I'd try it if somebody brought one to a party. Seems like a good football watch favor.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by ChadJK »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 7:46 pm
ChadJK wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 5:34 pm Popeye's whole Cajun Turkey for Thanksgiving is $74.99 if you pick it up or $99.99 if you want it delivered. That's just the turkey. No sides.

https://turkeys.popeyes.com/
You can get a smoked Thanksgiving Turkey from Hog Wild BBQ on S 108th St for under $60.00. They supply the turkey and of course smoke it- and it is great. My 4th straight year of getting one from there…
Popeye's pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.
Last edited by ChadJK on Thu Nov 06, 2025 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Arby's)

Post by ChadJK »

At Arby's for a limited time...

Deep Fried Turkey Gobbler Sandwich
it has Deep Fried Turkey, Big Eye Swiss, Crispy Onion Strings, Mayonnaise, Cranberry Spread, and Stuffing on a Sub Roll.
https://www.arbys.com/menu/limited-time ... -sandwich/

I feel like there should be thick turkey gravy instead of mayo. Perhaps I'll swing through Popeye's and get a side of their Cajun Gravy to sneak into Arby's. Then I can dip my sandwich in it.

They also have a Deep Fried Turkey Club Sandwich with Deep Fried Turkey, Bacon, Natural Cheddar, Tomato, Shredded Lettuce, and Mayonnaise on a Sub Roll.
https://www.arbys.com/menu/limited-time ... -sandwich/
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 7:46 pm
ChadJK wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2025 5:34 pm Popeye's whole Cajun Turkey for Thanksgiving is $74.99 if you pick it up or $99.99 if you want it delivered. That's just the turkey. No sides.

https://turkeys.popeyes.com/
You can get a smoked Thanksgiving Turkey from Hog Wild BBQ on S 108th St for under $60.00. They supply the turkey and of course smoke it- and it is great. My 4th straight year of getting one from there…
They pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.
Not so sure about that. The price is under $60- probably closer to $54 bucks before tax (which is the real culprit driving the final cost up)…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by nebugeater »

To me, the price of an RTE Turkey cannot be compared until you know at least an approximate weight of the bird.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by Busguy2010 »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 am They pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.
My initial thought is it doesn't sound like something made in house. The prep instructions include "thaw", so im thinking what you get is a frozen, precooked, seasoned, ready to warm turkey that was prepared remotely. Not that they have them heated and ready in store, which would make it cool and convenient.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by ChadJK »

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 1:33 pm
ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 am They pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.
My initial thought is it doesn't sound like something made in house. The prep instructions include "thaw", so im thinking what you get is a frozen, precooked, seasoned, ready to warm turkey that was prepared remotely. Not that they have them heated and ready in store, which would make it cool and convenient.
Since I've never gotten one, I wasn't sure if the pick-up version was any different than the delivered version. I imagine the delivered ones are frozen, packed in dry ice, and shipped from some central location. The pick-up are probably the same thing, but kept in the walk-in freezer at your local Popeye's.

Honestly though, if you're buying an already cooked and frozen turkey you're basically going to be eating the equivalent of leftovers. Leftover turkey for $74.99.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by nebugeater »

If you are wanting a pre cooked smoked turkey from a fast food please. Get this at a better price and probably better tasting. Costco.

I have had one once and it was suprisingly good
Image
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by Busguy2010 »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 2:40 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 1:33 pm
ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 am They pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.
My initial thought is it doesn't sound like something made in house. The prep instructions include "thaw", so im thinking what you get is a frozen, precooked, seasoned, ready to warm turkey that was prepared remotely. Not that they have them heated and ready in store, which would make it cool and convenient.
Since I've never gotten one, I wasn't sure if the pick-up version was any different than the delivered version. I imagine the delivered ones are frozen, packed in dry ice, and shipped from some central location. The pick-up are probably the same thing, but kept in the walk-in freezer at your local Popeye's.

Honestly though, if you're buying an already cooked and frozen turkey you're basically going to be eating the equivalent of leftovers. Leftover turkey for $74.99.
I think you're right on all of that. Since you can't just go to Popeyes and get one already prepared, that takes the coolness out of it. I can imagine a lot of people will unknowingly show up to get their turkey, and for it not to be ready to tear up. Especially for that price.

I can get a small turkey for our small family and limited guests, like just enough for a meal for everybody for 15 bucks. I shoot not to have leftovers. Still have to thaw both and turn on the oven. Might as well save $75 on the seasoning lol. My guess, and just a guess, tops, 12 pound (equivalent to frozen uncooked) turkey is what you get?

It would be a cool idea if you could just swing by and pick one up. Now that, I could do.
Last edited by Busguy2010 on Thu Nov 06, 2025 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by ChadJK »

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 3:09 pm My guess, and just a guess, 12 pound turkey is what you get?
I did some quick googling. It seems it's an 11-13 pound turkey. So, assume 12 and that makes Popeye's pick-up turkey $6.25/lb.

Popeye's aside, if you're a penny pincher and you like turkey then this is the best time of year to stock up. With frozen turkeys at the grocery store selling for less than a $1/lb, then why not get two or three and use them over the next 12 months as an affordable protein in your recipes? Though, you would need the freezer space.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (Popeye's)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 1:33 pm
ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 06, 2025 11:38 am They pick-up turkeys are only $54.99 in many other markets. Our local franchisee must either hate having to make them or is trying to stick it to people.
My initial thought is it doesn't sound like something made in house. The prep instructions include "thaw", so im thinking what you get is a frozen, precooked, seasoned, ready to warm turkey that was prepared remotely. Not that they have them heated and ready in store, which would make it cool and convenient.
The beauty of it, is they supply the turkey and smoke it for you. Last year, I think my bird was about 13 pounds and it was about $58 after tax. Just pop it in the oven for 1 hour and you’re ready to eat..

I like simple when it comes to food preparation..unless, of course, someone is cooking for me LOL…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (McDonald's)

Post by ChadJK »

The McRib is back.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (McDonald's)

Post by Busguy2010 »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 10:32 am The McRib is back.
I got the deal a few days ago. I dunno, in recent years it seems at least to me, lost it's allure (whatever there was). Its really not that amazing, however it does feel like an obligation to get it at least once during McRib season.

I always thought it funny they chose this time of year to keep bringing it back, but I guess it makes sense. No competition.
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Once you take a deeper dive..The problem with the McRib is, you really don’t know what you’re eating..

Hard pass…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Busguy2010 »

Theres a thing to replicate the McRib at home and to actually use a rack of ribs and pull the bones out. I've never tried it, but it only sounds as good as the McRib. Its just a tasty sandwich thats good once a year. Really no good way to improve upon it, also nothing to rave about.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110956
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by nebugeater »

HAd one yesterday. Always have ONE each time they are brought back as part of living in the past. I knew the UNL Meats guy who was a big part of developing this. He is Roger Manding (Sp?) and even though I was not in the programs that he led, I worked with him for about three years on a service organization's food safety program. He passed away earlier this year.

And to Cowboy, this is FAR from the only fast food item you don't know what's in them.

One is enough, though. If they were a standard offering, I would likely never order, as I rarely get the McD. The flavor has not changed much, but this year's offering looks to be about 25% smaller than what I remember even last time.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 1013719
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 2:10 pm And to Cowboy, this is FAR from the only fast food item you don't know what's in them.
Referencing the McRib specifically because it was just brought up in discussion.. but of course and correct. This applies to pretty much every menu item at McDonald’s and most all national chain fast food establishments…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036562
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 2:20 pm
nebugeater wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 2:10 pm And to Cowboy, this is FAR from the only fast food item you don't know what's in them.
Referencing the McRib specifically because it was just brought up in discussion.. but of course and correct. This applies to pretty much every menu item at McDonald’s and most all national chain fast food establishments…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Saw on Facebook where someone was selling cast iron McRib molds so you can make your own McRib at home with whatever meat you choose.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (McDonald's)

Post by ChadJK »

McRib is a guilty pleasure for a lot of people. Sure, it's akin to "mystery meat" but that's part of the guilty allure. lol
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Fast Food Talk Thread (McDonald's)

Post by djc311 »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 3:03 pm McRib is a guilty pleasure for a lot of people. Sure, it's akin to "mystery meat" but that's part of the guilty allure. lol
Ha - got one today over lunch. Definitely tastes like it should... I did take a second look at the sandwich, as I believe the bun seems significantly smaller than before. What was weird is I felt like the actual "meat" patty was probably the usual size. I don't see the advantage of shrinking the bun as it has to be a low cost component. And I actually didn't mind it too much as I'd prefer more of the meat than bread.

I'm sure there's some shrinkflation going on here - but I couldn't tell if the patty was smaller than prior versions.