almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106376
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
almighty_tuna
City Council
Went out near Yutan last night to try and get some shots of Comet Lemmon. It was cold, but enjoyable - coyotes howling, a shooting star, a few satellites, and of course the comet.

Image

Image
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Nice work! How much longer is it visible?
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106376
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
almighty_tuna
City Council
Thanks!

Not much longer. My guess is that it'll be below the horizon before sunset by next week. This was just after sunset about 7deg above the horizon at 240deg az, in the constellation Ophiuchus, just north of n Oph.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110960
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
almighty_tuna wrote: ↑Mon Nov 10, 2025 8:49 am Went out near Yutan last night to try and get some shots of Comet Lemmon. It was cold, but enjoyable - coyotes howling, a shooting star, a few satellites, and of course the comet.

Image

Image
What did you use to take these?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036565
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Cool, thanks for the info!
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106376
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
almighty_tuna
City Council
Brad wrote: ↑Mon Nov 10, 2025 10:33 am Cool, thanks for the info!
You bet!
nebugeater wrote: ↑Mon Nov 10, 2025 10:32 am What did you use to take these?
Canon 300mm f/2.8 for 2sec@4000ISO
I stacked around 100 frames per image in Deep Sky Stacker for these. Had never tried stacking images for astrophotography before this weekend. It's pretty neat! These were all untracked source images, so I had to keep the exposure short to keep things sharp-ish and re-frame fairly frequently. I'm looking for a decent tracking mount so I can do longer exposures at less noisy ISOs.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110960
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
almighty_tuna wrote: ↑Mon Nov 10, 2025 10:59 am
Brad wrote: ↑Mon Nov 10, 2025 10:33 am Cool, thanks for the info!
You bet!
nebugeater wrote: ↑Mon Nov 10, 2025 10:32 am What did you use to take these?
Canon 300mm f/2.8 for 2sec@4000ISO
I stacked around 100 frames per image in Deep Sky Stacker for these. Had never tried stacking images for astrophotography before this weekend. It's pretty neat! These were all untracked source images, so I had to keep the exposure short to keep things sharp-ish and re-frame fairly frequently. I'm looking for a decent tracking mount so I can do longer exposures at less noisy ISOs.

Great Lens.

I need to try some stacking some day
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!