Hy-Vee

News and releases from metro area businesses
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

They must make up for it every now and then when they sell that $500 cheese wheel :lol: I used to buy donuts for home room there once every couple weeks.

Comparing the personnel to any other Hy-Vee, they seemed on-par, if not a little surprisingly rude about me walking in at 9:45. Like forgive me, I didn't know your store closed an hour earlier than every other one. I come in peace, from the other part of town šŸ–
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2025 3:56 pm ...90th/West Center Rd. location... The reason they have some of the chain’s bells and whistles but no separate wine/liquor store is simple. It’s a very profitable store for the chain, and years ago when they did their last store remodel, they wanted desperately to add a separate wine/liquor store, like most all of their other metro locations, however a large city storm sewer apparently runs partially under their west parking lot, below where the liquor store addition would have gone in. The city was requiring Hy-Vee to foot the multi million dollar bill for relocating the sewer, and the chain decided that it wasn’t worth the expense to pursue the building addition.
Back before the area was developed, there was a creek that basically paralleled 90th street. It ran from where HyVee is to near where Westside High School is, past pacific, through where Countryside village and in to where Christ the King is now.

Like Saddle Creek, that creek was put in to a pipe. The Pipe that runs through HyVee is a 90" diameter line, which is huge in terms of storm sewer pipe. Guessing around $500 a Linear Foot for the pipe, and would probably take 350-400 Feet of pipe. Then add another $30,000 to $40,000 minimum per manhole and you would need at least 4 Manholes. You are easily over $400K in just pipes and manholes. Last time we moved a 90" line was out in Sarpy county and the manholes were so expensive they actually cast concrete junction boxes in place instead of using manholes.

The city's website shows they already moved this 90" line once when they build the store. Apparently the didn't plan for future growth.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

Brad wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2025 8:10 pm
nativeomahan wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2025 3:56 pm ...90th/West Center Rd. location... The reason they have some of the chain’s bells and whistles but no separate wine/liquor store is simple. It’s a very profitable store for the chain, and years ago when they did their last store remodel, they wanted desperately to add a separate wine/liquor store, like most all of their other metro locations, however a large city storm sewer apparently runs partially under their west parking lot, below where the liquor store addition would have gone in. The city was requiring Hy-Vee to foot the multi million dollar bill for relocating the sewer, and the chain decided that it wasn’t worth the expense to pursue the building addition.
Back before the area was developed, there was a creek that basically paralleled 90th street. It ran from where HyVee is to near where Westside High School is, past pacific, through where Countryside village and in to where Christ the King is now.

Like Saddle Creek, that creek was put in to a pipe. The Pipe that runs through HyVee is a 90" diameter line, which is huge in terms of storm sewer pipe. Guessing around $500 a Linear Foot for the pipe, and would probably take 350-400 Feet of pipe. Then add another $30,000 to $40,000 minimum per manhole and you would need at least 4 Manholes. You are easily over $400K in just pipes and manholes. Last time we moved a 90" line was out in Sarpy county and the manholes were so expensive they actually cast concrete junction boxes in place instead of using manholes.

The city's website shows they already moved this 90" line once when they build the store. Apparently the didn't plan for future growth.
I'm guessing I've been in that pipe before. Wasn't my idea. Almost didn't make it lol. I dont know how the other kid knew about it.

Now that you mentioned it, you can visually tell where it is, between the back yards of houses facing 90th and 88th.
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nebport5 »

nativeomahan wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2025 3:56 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Aug 02, 2025 11:24 pm I went to the 90th & Center Hy-Vee for the first time in forever the other night, just a bit before 10, and much to my surprise, they close at 10. I was not expecting that. Is that not the only one that doesn't close at 11? Is it also the only one other than 52nd & Center, that doesn't have a separate liquor door?

I only ask because Hy-vee makes a lot of goofy moves, and its been said they're going to close 108th & Fort. 90th & Center seems to be the smallest one, and its presumably the only one to close at 10 and also not have a third door.

I wonder why this location was one of the first with a gas station, one of the only ones without a separate liquor section, the first with a charging station, and the only one to close earlier than all the rest. They're pulling ya each and every which direction with that location.
I don’t often shop at Hy-Vee because some of their prices quite literally take my breath away (about on the level of Whole Foods), but the 90th/West Center Rd. location is the closest to our Omaha home. It is one of the runts of the litter. The reason they have some of the chain’s bells and whistles but no separate wine/liquor store is simple. It’s a very profitable store for the chain, and years ago when they did their last store remodel, they wanted desperately to add a separate wine/liquor store, like most all of their other metro locations, however a large city storm sewer apparently runs partially under their west parking lot, below where the liquor store addition would have gone in. The city was requiring Hy-Vee to foot the multi million dollar bill for relocating the sewer, and the chain decided that it wasn’t worth the expense to pursue the building addition. On top of that, their parking lot is consistently at near capacity many times in an average week. Taking out dozens of parking spaces would only have added to the parking crunch.

Obviously it depends on the item, but I noticed many of the same products in Hy-Vee’s natural/healthy foods section are substantially more than Whole Food's. For the very same branded items(think gluten free, organic soups, etc) Hy-Vee’s prices even on sale!...can be a dollar to two dollars higher than Whole Food’s regular price.

Of course there’s a reason it’s called ā€œwhole paycheckā€, but when Hy-Vee makes Whole Foods look inexpensive they have to be straight up gouging on these items.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

Natty G's, Natty G's! Seriously, on stuff like bulk spices, nuts, and dried fruit, they cannot be beaten. About a year's worth of (organic) black pepper for 5 bucks vs the tiny bit that Hy-Vee sells for ??

Their prices on stuff like raisins, cherries, walnuts, pistachios, Brazil nuts, almonds, etc make me feel like a fool for ever buying them from [insert].
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by almighty_tuna »

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2025 11:40 pm Natty G's, Natty G's! Seriously, on stuff like bulk spices, nuts, and dried fruit, they cannot be beaten. About a year's worth of (organic) black pepper for 5 bucks vs the tiny bit that Hy-Vee sells for ??
I'm a huge fan of Natural Grocers' spice section. It's pretty much the only place I go for that stuff. The 35k cayenne is fantastic, and the prices/size of the spices are great for when I put together large batches of bbq seasoning.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

almighty_tuna wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2025 8:44 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2025 11:40 pm Natty G's, Natty G's! Seriously, on stuff like bulk spices, nuts, and dried fruit, they cannot be beaten. About a year's worth of (organic) black pepper for 5 bucks vs the tiny bit that Hy-Vee sells for ??
I'm a huge fan of Natural Grocers' spice section. It's pretty much the only place I go for that stuff. The 35k cayenne is fantastic, and the prices/size of the spices are great for when I put together large batches of bbq seasoning.
Hands down. Its pretty unbelievable the quality and quantity difference compared to say, a McCormick or Tones, even Great Value.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

One thing I have to give Hy-Vee credit for in the health food section, is a 24oz Blender Bottle for $6.99. That is a dam good price. I didn't even really need it, but couldn't pass it up. Its got their brand on it, but I dont care. Natural Grocers also sells a branded Blender Bottle, but they wanted way too much for it, I think like 13 bucks.

Since all the grocery store closings in the last 15 years or so, I pretty much have no choice but to keep Hy-Vee in my rotation. And although I used to complain and avoid them completely for them being over priced, since I've been shopping them much more lately, either I was wrong, or they did actually tone down their prices.

I haven't felt like they've put any sort of squeeze on my wallet. I actually appreciate their prices on the store brand stuff. Like, for instance I NEVER even have an eye out for name brand stuff, but one exception I buy quite a bit of is those healthy choice steamers, and Hy-vee has them usually over a dollar (if not more) cheaper than Family Fare, and pretty much the same price as Walmart.

And as I was saying, I almost never shop name brand anywhere. Either I'm not particular, or the store brand stuff really is just as good, or good enough that I'll take it for the price.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2025 2:36 pm One thing I have to give Hy-Vee credit for in the health food section, is a 24oz Blender Bottle for $6.99. That is a dam good price. I didn't even really need it, but couldn't pass it up. Its got their brand on it, but I dont care. Natural Grocers also sells a branded Blender Bottle, but they wanted way too much for it, I think like 13 bucks.

Since all the grocery store closings in the last 15 years or so, I pretty much have no choice but to keep Hy-Vee in my rotation. And although I used to complain and avoid them completely for them being over priced, since I've been shopping them much more lately, either I was wrong, or they did actually tone down their prices.

I haven't felt like they've put any sort of squeeze on my wallet. I actually appreciate their prices on the store brand stuff. Like, for instance I NEVER even have an eye out for name brand stuff, but one exception I buy quite a bit of is those healthy choice steamers, and Hy-vee has them usually over a dollar (if not more) cheaper than Family Fare, and pretty much the same price as Walmart.

And as I was saying, I almost never shop name brand anywhere. Either I'm not particular, or the store brand stuff really is just as good, or good enough that I'll take it for the price.
I haven't weighed in, but I do not think that HyVee is that much different in prices for what we shop for, and I do have a decent knowledge of pricing that my wife gives me |expletive| about. Sure, they have some things that are higher by a little bit, but some things are a little better too.

The HyVee store brands are as good as name brands. That cannot be said for every store brand. I know for a fact that the food plant that I used to work in made HyVee-branded products, and it was the exact same as the main brand for the shared products. The same could not be said for other in-house store brands that we made and packaged.

I also feel like the service is better at HyVee than other places, and I am at a point where I will pay a "little" for that too.

Some of the HyVee Price complaints I chalk up to groupthink. From the looks of the HyVee parking lots and people in the store they cannot be that out of line or they would not be as busy as they are.
For the record Ā NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER Ā  Ā !!!!!!!
JohnFN
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:05 pm

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by JohnFN »

Brad wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2025 8:10 pm
nativeomahan wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2025 3:56 pm ...90th/West Center Rd. location... The reason they have some of the chain’s bells and whistles but no separate wine/liquor store is simple. It’s a very profitable store for the chain, and years ago when they did their last store remodel, they wanted desperately to add a separate wine/liquor store, like most all of their other metro locations, however a large city storm sewer apparently runs partially under their west parking lot, below where the liquor store addition would have gone in. The city was requiring Hy-Vee to foot the multi million dollar bill for relocating the sewer, and the chain decided that it wasn’t worth the expense to pursue the building addition.
Back before the area was developed, there was a creek that basically paralleled 90th street. It ran from where HyVee is to near where Westside High School is, past pacific, through where Countryside village and in to where Christ the King is now.

Like Saddle Creek, that creek was put in to a pipe. The Pipe that runs through HyVee is a 90" diameter line, which is huge in terms of storm sewer pipe. Guessing around $500 a Linear Foot for the pipe, and would probably take 350-400 Feet of pipe. Then add another $30,000 to $40,000 minimum per manhole and you would need at least 4 Manholes. You are easily over $400K in just pipes and manholes. Last time we moved a 90" line was out in Sarpy county and the manholes were so expensive they actually cast concrete junction boxes in place instead of using manholes.

The city's website shows they already moved this 90" line once when they build the store. Apparently the didn't plan for future growth.
Map of this on DOGIS, for anyone interested
Image
User avatar
remline
Library Board
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2024 10:38 am

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by remline »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2025 3:18 pm Some of the HyVee Price complaints I chalk up to groupthink. From the looks of the HyVee parking lots and people in the store they cannot be that out of line or they would not be as busy as they are.
Appeal to groupthink is a two-edged sword.

Possibility A: Hy-Vee prices are fine. But groupthink causes many people to complain about their prices.
Possibility B: Hy-Vee prices are high. But groupthink causes many people to park in their lots and go in the store.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nebugeater »

remline wrote: Thu Aug 07, 2025 9:24 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2025 3:18 pm Some of the HyVee Price complaints I chalk up to groupthink. From the looks of the HyVee parking lots and people in the store they cannot be that out of line or they would not be as busy as they are.
Appeal to groupthink is a two-edged sword.

Possibility A: Hy-Vee prices are fine. But groupthink causes many people to complain about their prices.
Possibility B: Hy-Vee prices are high. But groupthink causes many people to park in their lots and go in the store.
That's fair, but regarding the selection of items we purchase, we do not see the huge added cost at Hy-Vee that some claim or observe.
For the record Ā NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER Ā  Ā !!!!!!!
OmahaRedWing
Human Relations
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:39 pm

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by OmahaRedWing »

I have worked in Bellevue for almost 10 years. One place I have a probably had lunch from the most is the Hy Vee at Shadow Lake. They have good chinese takeout and run some pretty good specials.

Throughout that time, I will periodically do some quick grocery shopping for a couple items I may need.

I will say it is only for a couple items because unless it's on sale, the prices are consistently higher than my normal stores. I would its usually a significant and clear price hike in comparison.

It's a great store, clean and usually busy. That being said, too high for me to buy more than a couple items out of convenience. For comparison, the Baker's at Twin Creek is much cheaper.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thats where I shop as well. I live in Bellevue and used to go between HyVee and Aldi, and had never been into Bakers until 2-3 years ago. Yes, HyVee does have a bigger selection, but Bakers has most things and with the 4x fuel points on Fridays and being able to get 35 gallons instead of the 20 that HyVee allows, I have done the math and you save 14% with the fuel points on top of the prices being less. Aldi used to be great but ever since covid, their prices are drastically higher than they used to be. Still have some stuff that is cheap but for the most part, I rely on Bakers for just about everything.

And on a side note, I take my wife's suburban and gas cans to make sure that I am maximizing the fuel points.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

I found myself at that 90th street Hy-vee again. I only bought seven items, but three of them had price discrepancies from both regular and sale price labels. Some were more, and some were less. The dollar less on one item made me kinda okay with it. It rounded out to paying about $2.50 more than I was led to believe I should have. But I'm not gonna bust their balls or mine for $2. The price is how it scans. But wow, for buying only a handful of items, and to have nearly half of them be not as labeled, thats just... Poor.

I've found myself in that vicinity more lately, but I have to say, I am not impressed with their operation. Of all the Hy-vee locations I shop, I have to say this has been the worst, and I've only been there two times (lately)! Let me back up a little bit, the employees were nice this time.

I would, you know, just expect better. At least be better than the Fort street location, come on.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Aug 10, 2025 11:41 pm I found myself at that 90th street Hy-vee again. I only bought seven items, but three of them had price discrepancies from both regular and sale price labels. Some were more, and some were less. The dollar less on one item made me kinda okay with it. It rounded out to paying about $2.50 more than I was led to believe I should have. But I'm not gonna bust their balls or mine for $2. The price is how it scans. But wow, for buying only a handful of items, and to have nearly half of them be not as labeled, thats just... Poor.

I've found myself in that vicinity more lately, but I have to say, I am not impressed with their operation. Of all the Hy-vee locations I shop, I have to say this has been the worst, and I've only been there two times (lately)! Let me back up a little bit, the employees were nice this time.

I would, you know, just expect better. At least be better than the Fort street location, come on.
Does that store have the digital price tags on the shelves, or do they still have the manually printed tags that are hand-placed? The digital tags should significantly reduce the discrepancies
For the record Ā NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER Ā  Ā !!!!!!!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1321
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by HskrFanMike »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2025 3:18 pm Some of the HyVee Price complaints I chalk up to groupthink. From the looks of the HyVee parking lots and people in the store they cannot be that out of line or they would not be as busy as they are.
Not necessarily. Some people simply don't care about price; it's all about convenience. I'll give you a non-HyVee example. There is a Casey's (converted Bucky's) at 42nd and Dodge on the eastbound side, and a MegaSaver a block west around 43rd on the westbound side. There's always more cars filling up with Casey's gas than at MegaSaver's "Top Tier" certified gas...which is frequently 10 cents cheaper.

HyVee feels they don't have to be competitive with the Bakers, Targets and Walmarts on price because they have the selection.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by djc311 »

HskrFanMike wrote: Mon Aug 11, 2025 8:51 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2025 3:18 pm Some of the HyVee Price complaints I chalk up to groupthink. From the looks of the HyVee parking lots and people in the store they cannot be that out of line or they would not be as busy as they are.
Not necessarily. Some people simply don't care about price; it's all about convenience. I'll give you a non-HyVee example. There is a Casey's (converted Bucky's) at 42nd and Dodge on the eastbound side, and a MegaSaver a block west around 43rd on the westbound side. There's always more cars filling up with Casey's gas than at MegaSaver's "Top Tier" certified gas...which is frequently 10 cents cheaper.

HyVee feels they don't have to be competitive with the Bakers, Targets and Walmarts on price because they have the selection.
I pick up items at HyVee by us off and on... and here's one thing I noticed yesterday that drives me absolutely bonkers with them... and I imagine other stores have implemented the same train of thought here, but I noticed it at HyVee so they're getting called out on it.

I picked up a 4 pack of Carbliss drinks for my wife at the HyVee on 180th & Q - They were $11.99 regular price. I grabbed the wrong flavor (LOL, my bad) and went to the ginormous HyVee on 192nd and 370... they were $10.99 regular price. Sure, it's a buck. But that's nearly a 10% difference between two of the same store brand that's 4 miles apart from one another. I'm not sure if I'd call it surge pricing because my understanding of this is based upon business levels... plus the HyVee on 180th & Q still doesn't have the e-ink price tags, so they have to change out paper tags still. The jumbo HyVee can press a button to change the entire store's pricing in 10 seconds.

Why are they doing this? Obviously because they feel like they can - but it's a crappy way to do business. If you go on to Target's website, if they're selling a box of cereal for $4.99 online, it's very likely $4.99 in store. And, it's $4.99 in all of their Omaha stores. HyVee not only charges different prices across different locations, but they charge more for online purchases.

I understand they're paying labor to someone to shop online orders. So do all of the other stores that offer online ordering and pickup. I paid $100 for the year to get WalMart Plus so we could get delivery... I know HyVee offers something similar with a membership as well, but they still charge members more to buy online versus in store. At least I know if I pay "X" for an online item at WalMart it's likely the same price in the store.

I do like HyVee because they are located near us and it's typically a quick stop - plus I prefer the inside of the stores and the staff over WalMarts, Fareway, etc. But we're starting to go to Aldi more often for produce, meat and so forth because I'm tired of getting hosed at HyVee.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

nebugeater wrote: Mon Aug 11, 2025 5:59 am Does that store have the digital price tags on the shelves, or do they still have the manually printed tags that are hand-placed? The digital tags should significantly reduce the discrepancies
They do not. Neither do any of the other locations I shop, yet I hadn't had any problem with them. Was just surprised, given they're the smallest, and surrounded by a higher income demographic than the rest I shop. I figured they'd be best equipped to manage a good operation.

I never knew Hy-vee was going to have digital labels. Maybe just in the ones out west (so far)?
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nebport5 »

HskrFanMike wrote: Mon Aug 11, 2025 8:51 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed Aug 06, 2025 3:18 pm Some of the HyVee Price complaints I chalk up to groupthink. From the looks of the HyVee parking lots and people in the store they cannot be that out of line or they would not be as busy as they are.
Not necessarily. Some people simply don't care about price; it's all about convenience. I'll give you a non-HyVee example. There is a Casey's (converted Bucky's) at 42nd and Dodge on the eastbound side, and a MegaSaver a block west around 43rd on the westbound side. There's always more cars filling up with Casey's gas than at MegaSaver's "Top Tier" certified gas...which is frequently 10 cents cheaper.

HyVee feels they don't have to be competitive with the Bakers, Targets and Walmarts on price because they have the selection.
Is their selection really that good? Especially when it varies so much by location. This detail I find particularly frustrating when some I products I buy regularly are at different locations around the city which would mean driving all over instead of getting them all at the same location. Instead, I’d rather go to a competing store that has most of what I’m looking for.

I think it’s more about Hy-Vee betting on you getting their well priced house brands vs everything else they overprice. Gretna you could say is an exception, but since going all in on their house brands the selection isn’t as good.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Aug 11, 2025 12:00 pm
nebugeater wrote: Mon Aug 11, 2025 5:59 am Does that store have the digital price tags on the shelves, or do they still have the manually printed tags that are hand-placed? The digital tags should significantly reduce the discrepancies
They do not. Neither do any of the other locations I shop, yet I hadn't had any problem with them. Was just surprised, given they're the smallest, and surrounded by a higher income demographic than the rest I shop. I figured they'd be best equipped to manage a good operation.

I never knew Hy-vee was going to have digital labels. Maybe just in the ones out west (so far)?
The first time I saw it was at the HyVee in Gretna at opening. I have seen it in others since then
For the record Ā NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER Ā  Ā !!!!!!!
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by djc311 »

nebugeater wrote: Mon Aug 11, 2025 1:33 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Aug 11, 2025 12:00 pm
nebugeater wrote: Mon Aug 11, 2025 5:59 am Does that store have the digital price tags on the shelves, or do they still have the manually printed tags that are hand-placed? The digital tags should significantly reduce the discrepancies
They do not. Neither do any of the other locations I shop, yet I hadn't had any problem with them. Was just surprised, given they're the smallest, and surrounded by a higher income demographic than the rest I shop. I figured they'd be best equipped to manage a good operation.

I never knew Hy-vee was going to have digital labels. Maybe just in the ones out west (so far)?
The first time I saw it was at the HyVee in Gretna at opening. I have seen it in others since then
It's goofy because their gas station (aka "Fast and Fresh") at their 180th & Q St store has digital tags, but the store doesn't.

Also, the WalMart Neighborhood Market on 168th & Harrison has them... but I haven't seen them in any of the normal WalMart stores.
Ankeny Husker Freak
Home Owners Association
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:01 am
Location: Ankeny, IA

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Ankeny Husker Freak »

My main beef with Hy-Vee is that they all but ignore their small town locations like Shenandoah. Not much on selection on anything, bakery products are prepared at the Maryville store and all of the meat is pre packaged, no meat counter at all.

Meanwhile at the Ankeny location I use, they have tried and failed miserably at incorporating a clothing and shoes department in recent years.
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by ChadJK »

Ankeny Husker Freak wrote: Thu Dec 04, 2025 6:02 am Meanwhile at the Ankeny location I use, they have tried and failed miserably at incorporating a clothing and shoes department in recent years.
They tried that at the 180th & Q and 144th & StoneyBrook locations in Omaha too. I haven't been in either location recently enough to see if they're still doing it. The huge one in Gretna has a small fan shop with clothing (amongst other fan merch) for local high schools plus Huskers, Creighton, and KC Chiefs.
Last edited by ChadJK on Wed Dec 10, 2025 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nativeomahan »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Dec 04, 2025 11:15 am
Ankeny Husker Freak wrote: Thu Dec 04, 2025 6:02 am Meanwhile at the Ankeny location I use, they have tried and failed miserably at incorporating a clothing and shoes department in recent years.
They tried that at the 180th & Q and 144th & StoneyBrook locations in Omaha too. I haven't been in either location recently enough if they're still doing it. The huge one in Gretna has a small fan shop with clothing (amongst other fan merch) for local high schools plus Huskers, Creighton, and KC Chiefs.
I believe that the 180th and Pacific location did the same. They were even selling shoes. I haven’t been back there in a couple of years so I don’t know if that is still in their product mix.
I recall when Albertson’s opened their giant (at the time) 65,000 square foot stores in the early 1980s. They had probably 50% of their space devoted to products not typically sold in grocery stores. What followed were the SuperTargets and Walmart Supercenters (none existed here in 1990), where groceries took up only about 30% of the floor space.
Our shopping habits have changed a lot in the past 40 years. It’s an open question as to whether these retail giants are leading or following those changing shopping habits.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8990
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Greg S »

nativeomahan wrote: Tue Dec 09, 2025 6:03 pm
ChadJK wrote: Thu Dec 04, 2025 11:15 am
Ankeny Husker Freak wrote: Thu Dec 04, 2025 6:02 am Meanwhile at the Ankeny location I use, they have tried and failed miserably at incorporating a clothing and shoes department in recent years.
They tried that at the 180th & Q and 144th & StoneyBrook locations in Omaha too. I haven't been in either location recently enough if they're still doing it. The huge one in Gretna has a small fan shop with clothing (amongst other fan merch) for local high schools plus Huskers, Creighton, and KC Chiefs.
I believe that the 180th and Pacific location did the same. They were even selling shoes. I haven’t been back there in a couple of years so I don’t know if that is still in their product mix.
I recall when Albertson’s opened their giant (at the time) 65,000 square foot stores in the early 1980s. They had probably 50% of their space devoted to products not typically sold in grocery stores. What followed were the SuperTargets and Walmart Supercenters (none existed here in 1990), where groceries took up only about 30% of the floor space.
Our shopping habits have changed a lot in the past 40 years. It’s an open question as to whether these retail giants are leading or following those changing shopping habits.
Yeah I think I have mentioned previously but I was in a Hy Vee in Shakopee Minnesota a few years ago. Had a DSW in it, a clothing section (if memory serves it was mainly younger kids and baby sizes), a sports shop and just other extra stuff. I just don't get Hy Vee. If I am looking for shoes, I just don't think of getting them at Hy Vee. Obviously in markets like Omaha and Minneapolis, you're going to have bigger DSW's if that's where you are buying at. In Omaha I am not buying team apparel from Hy Vee when you have stores like Rally House and Scheels. And they just aren't committed enough or have the space to compete in other lines with Target and Wal Mart (and they definitely would get crushed on price).

Will be interesting to see the impact on that Gretna Hy Vee if the rumored large Target gets built in Gretna. Plus you have the soon to be largest Baker's going in at 204th and Q.

Greg
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nativeomahan »

I’m not a fan of Hy-Vee for my everyday grocery shopping, as I think they are typically more expensive than just about any other full service grocery chain in town, but I must admit that their larger stores have a depth of products on their shelves that are hard to match. I also must admit that while I don’t regularly do apparel shopping at Hy-Vee, I purchased a type of specialty socks at their Peony Park store yesterday that the 3 Westroads clothing/shoe stores I had earlier visited did not sell. So there is that. LOL
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

I've been going to the 90th & Center Hy-Vee more often for a while. I just got back from there and... I expect to see a bunch of juveniles, but I'm really surprised by how many times I've seen some real weirdos at that location. I know, I know. But everybody has a compass/radar (at least I'd think). I've worked retail security on and off and I see them before they see me. I'm a big Rat Terrier. Call me "Spot On" :lol: People say ah, you shouldn't judge etc, etc... I've never been wrong.

Since I was just there, there was a frumpy lookin woman with a cart fulla |expletive|. On the phone the whole time. Thats always the tell. Always. From the very exact moment I pulled into the lot and saw her exiting the car, I instantly knew she was one of em. She tried to pull an act like she was checking out and distracted by being on the phone and "forgot" to pay. So she was in there 15 minutes throwing anything and everything in the cart. Guess she got spooked (I could've been giving her the side eye, who knows) and ditched it.

How stupid can you be? :lol: I walked out simultaneously and the driver of the car even changed spots. At least she deferred to me walking out the door, ha. I guess theres no limits anymore SMH. Been surprised to see that there.
Last edited by Busguy2010 on Sat Dec 20, 2025 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

I'll say, probably due to the growing lack of options, Hy-vee has surprisingly been a more prominent part of my rotation. I used to avoid them like the plague due to their overpriced-ness. Back in the mid 2000's to mid 2010's, I could count on probably one hand how many times I went there. But now I go there all the time, and their prices seem pretty acceptable to me. May just be the choices I make. But yeah, I'm surprised. They're reasonable.
User avatar
skinzfan23
City Council
Posts: 11629
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by skinzfan23 »

Seems to me like you’re trying to justify for yourself if they are reasonable…I’ll answer that for you, they are not. Their prices are absolutely ridiculous unless it’s on sale and then you have to hope that they aren’t out of the product.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

No, really. At least to me. Keep in mind, I usually shop the store brand as much as I can, and that stuff is always reasonable. There's a variety of things that arent store brand that are consistently on par or cheaper than other places. Chicken is usually okay, especially the international spices brand. Can't beat the variety and quality of the meat counter sausages, I think last time I got those, they were 4/$5. Never shed a tear eating those haha. Fruits and vegetables are usually okay. I always keep a sack of their potatoes. A $1.88? Say no more. A lot of the frozen meals I buy are always on sale. One I get often is $2.89 most the time, sometimes they're $2.49, where as at Family Fare, theyre always $4.99, and Walmart, theyre always $2.79. So on par.

But yeah, anyway I dont even acknowledge most name brand stuff there, because, yes, it's mostly over priced. Now and then some of the stuff I grill with is a hot deal. I guess having an eye for the store brand is living in a different world, cause I've never grimaced at my final tab. I dunno.
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

One thing I really do appreciate about Hy-vee is they still have paper bags readily available. That may make me an old geezer, but its nice. If I can fit my groceries in two paper bags vs 6 or more plastic ones, I'm a happy camper. And honestly, they make for convenient trash bags. I use them as trash bags more than I use my actual kitchen trash can haha. I never throw anything that could turn stinky in my real trash can, so I sometimes go a month before I take out that trash, but let's say chicken packaging, fruit and vegetable scraps or stuff like that goes in the Hy-vee bag by the back door. If I forget and it goes a little long, cluck it, its a Hy-vee bag.
User avatar
Greg S
City Council
Posts: 8990
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Greg S »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sat Dec 20, 2025 2:34 pm One thing I really do appreciate about Hy-vee is they still have paper bags readily available. That may make me an old geezer, but its nice. If I can fit my groceries in two paper bags vs 6 or more plastic ones, I'm a happy camper. And honestly, they make for convenient trash bags. I use them as trash bags more than I use my actual kitchen trash can haha. I never throw anything that could turn stinky in my real trash can, so I sometimes go a month before I take out that trash, but let's say chicken packaging, fruit and vegetable scraps or stuff like that goes in the Hy-vee bag by the back door. If I forget and it goes a little long, cluck it, its a Hy-vee bag.
Baker's always has paper bags readily available too. I use them in the self checkout, and the cashiers always ask paper or plastic. Target at 132nd and Maple has them at both self checkout and when you go through the cashiers line (Target at 168th and Maple has them in the regular lines but it's hit and miss for them at self checkout).
ChadJK
Planning Board
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by ChadJK »

When they ask if I want paper or plastic I reply, "Paper and double-bag everything." Once I amuse myself at their reaction I change my reply to, "Just kidding. You guys can use whatever makes your job easier. I really don't have a preference."
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nativeomahan »

People gonna do what people gonna do. I will acknowledge that for years I largely avoided shopping at Walmart for all the usual reasons people who don’t shop there won’t shop there. But after I retired and had more time to grocery shop and more time to stay home and cook I quit ruling out any grocery chain within 5 miles (sometimes more) from my home. I soon discovered that, like every other grocery store chain in town, Walmart sold some items that I liked that no one else bothered to carry. So maybe once a month I proudly walk through their doors and stock up on some of those particular items I can’t find at Baker’s, Hy-Vee, Aldi, etc. I also have taken note that the product mix at the Walmart I typically shop at differs noticeably from others in town. It’s based on neighborhood demographics, just the same as what Hy-Vee, Kroger and all the others choose to sell at any given store location. Even Aldi, where the product mix is pretty standardized, has a bit of variation from store to store. I’m not driven by price, though I appreciate saving money when I can. Walmart is often about as expensive as the other chains, and more expensive than Aldi. An advantage of a store like Walmart and Target is that you can go in for groceries and also purchase clothing, a lamp, garden hose, pool floatie or about 1000 other non grocery items, so you safe time.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by djc311 »

I have preferred HyVee to most of the other bigger grocers (ie, Bakers, Family Fare, WalMart, etc) as I feel they have better produce, meats and the people are generally much friendlier (in my personal experience). I know a couple of the managers at the 180th & Qt St and the mega HyVee which helps me make that decision.

I've always felt some of their food prices are higher than others, especially comparing them to WalMart. I've noticed lately the prices at HyVee seem to be escalating again - considerably. I'm sure WalMart buys at lower prices on most products due to volume, but many things, especially dry boxed goods, should be similar. I'm definitely buying more "on sale" items at HyVee as their prices are getting out of control on many other products.

One example is Gary's Quick Steak - it's the same meat used at PepperJax and was developed by the original owner of PepperJax. HyVee would run it on sale regularly for around $5.99-$6.99 a package. Now it's up to $8.99 on sale. Thankfully Sam's sells it in a 3 pack for less. Rotella's bread is usually about $4/loaf at HyVee, I think it's about $2.50 at WalMart and these are their every day prices.

We've also been shopping more at the Aldi on HWY 370. We picked up grapes on sale this past weekend for about $1.99/lb. HyVee's "sale" price was $3.99. Other things, like a head of lettuce, was $2 at each store. However, I'm really starting to watch the prices because it's almost like they're gouging on certain products. I'm pretty much buying only sale items or meat and some produce at HyVee now as they've really priced themselves out of my wallet.
OmahaRedWing
Human Relations
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:39 pm

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by OmahaRedWing »

djc311 wrote: Fri Jan 02, 2026 7:56 am I have preferred HyVee to most of the other bigger grocers (ie, Bakers, Family Fare, WalMart, etc) as I feel they have better produce, meats and the people are generally much friendlier (in my personal experience). I know a couple of the managers at the 180th & Qt St and the mega HyVee which helps me make that decision.

I've always felt some of their food prices are higher than others, especially comparing them to WalMart. I've noticed lately the prices at HyVee seem to be escalating again - considerably. I'm sure WalMart buys at lower prices on most products due to volume, but many things, especially dry boxed goods, should be similar. I'm definitely buying more "on sale" items at HyVee as their prices are getting out of control on many other products.

One example is Gary's Quick Steak - it's the same meat used at PepperJax and was developed by the original owner of PepperJax. HyVee would run it on sale regularly for around $5.99-$6.99 a package. Now it's up to $8.99 on sale. Thankfully Sam's sells it in a 3 pack for less. Rotella's bread is usually about $4/loaf at HyVee, I think it's about $2.50 at WalMart and these are their every day prices.

We've also been shopping more at the Aldi on HWY 370. We picked up grapes on sale this past weekend for about $1.99/lb. HyVee's "sale" price was $3.99. Other things, like a head of lettuce, was $2 at each store. However, I'm really starting to watch the prices because it's almost like they're gouging on certain products. I'm pretty much buying only sale items or meat and some produce at HyVee now as they've really priced themselves out of my wallet.
We used to shop HyVee for the meat department. Ever since Fareway arrived in NW Omaha, we prefer theirs. I think Hy Vee stores are well stocked and lots of employees. Not sure I have noticed their employees being nicer than Baker's or Target, but they might have more of them. Fareway I think beats all of them all on customer service. Price is and has always been my biggest issue with Hy Vee. Interesting you might have noticed a bump up in their prices. Target and Baker's both seem to have lowered theirs in the 4th quarter.

Will be interesting in the next couple years when Kroger/Baker's opens up 2 new larger stores in Omaha. I think they will really pull from Hy Vee as they will have larger selections than the existing Baker's stores in town. Have been to the newer Kroger stores and they are really nice. Kroger is really starting to build again. They just announced they are re-entering the KC market and built a huge new store in Lawrence.
djc311
Planning Board
Posts: 2139
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by djc311 »

OmahaRedWing wrote: Fri Jan 02, 2026 9:55 am
djc311 wrote: Fri Jan 02, 2026 7:56 am I have preferred HyVee to most of the other bigger grocers (ie, Bakers, Family Fare, WalMart, etc) as I feel they have better produce, meats and the people are generally much friendlier (in my personal experience). I know a couple of the managers at the 180th & Qt St and the mega HyVee which helps me make that decision.

I've always felt some of their food prices are higher than others, especially comparing them to WalMart. I've noticed lately the prices at HyVee seem to be escalating again - considerably. I'm sure WalMart buys at lower prices on most products due to volume, but many things, especially dry boxed goods, should be similar. I'm definitely buying more "on sale" items at HyVee as their prices are getting out of control on many other products.

One example is Gary's Quick Steak - it's the same meat used at PepperJax and was developed by the original owner of PepperJax. HyVee would run it on sale regularly for around $5.99-$6.99 a package. Now it's up to $8.99 on sale. Thankfully Sam's sells it in a 3 pack for less. Rotella's bread is usually about $4/loaf at HyVee, I think it's about $2.50 at WalMart and these are their every day prices.

We've also been shopping more at the Aldi on HWY 370. We picked up grapes on sale this past weekend for about $1.99/lb. HyVee's "sale" price was $3.99. Other things, like a head of lettuce, was $2 at each store. However, I'm really starting to watch the prices because it's almost like they're gouging on certain products. I'm pretty much buying only sale items or meat and some produce at HyVee now as they've really priced themselves out of my wallet.
We used to shop HyVee for the meat department. Ever since Fareway arrived in NW Omaha, we prefer theirs. I think Hy Vee stores are well stocked and lots of employees. Not sure I have noticed their employees being nicer than Baker's or Target, but they might have more of them. Fareway I think beats all of them all on customer service. Price is and has always been my biggest issue with Hy Vee. Interesting you might have noticed a bump up in their prices. Target and Baker's both seem to have lowered theirs in the 4th quarter.

Will be interesting in the next couple years when Kroger/Baker's opens up 2 new larger stores in Omaha. I think they will really pull from Hy Vee as they will have larger selections than the existing Baker's stores in town. Have been to the newer Kroger stores and they are really nice. Kroger is really starting to build again. They just announced they are re-entering the KC market and built a huge new store in Lawrence.
I always felt the store director at 180th & Q was too profit driven... I understand their goals, but it shouldn't be at the expense of losing customers. He ended up moving to the HWY 370 store. Ironically, I have noticed the 180th & Q store having lower prices on the same damn merchandise as 370. I've always felt that's a very crappy tactic and it's actually rather offensive to think customers are "OK" if one store location charges more for the same thing as another location. It's not like these are independently franchised and owned. Therefore, they should have consistent pricing unless there are special circumstances such as clearance, close outs, etc.

HyVee on Q St shouldn't sell a box of cereal for $5 and HWY 370 sells it for $6. Even if they can get away with it, it's deceptive and dishonest/unethical.

I'm looking forward to the new Bakers at 204th & F St because I'm hoping at the very least they may drive down prices at HyVee which is closer to my house. I can tell you I've never thought once about going to HyVee, Bakers, etc to buy clothing, cookware, etc. I'm not sure why these stores feel that's a competitive advantage because I never see anyone in these areas of the stores when I'm there.
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by nebugeater »

djc311 wrote: Fri Jan 02, 2026 1:12 pm
OmahaRedWing wrote: Fri Jan 02, 2026 9:55 am
djc311 wrote: Fri Jan 02, 2026 7:56 am I have preferred HyVee to most of the other bigger grocers (ie, Bakers, Family Fare, WalMart, etc) as I feel they have better produce, meats and the people are generally much friendlier (in my personal experience). I know a couple of the managers at the 180th & Qt St and the mega HyVee which helps me make that decision.

I've always felt some of their food prices are higher than others, especially comparing them to WalMart. I've noticed lately the prices at HyVee seem to be escalating again - considerably. I'm sure WalMart buys at lower prices on most products due to volume, but many things, especially dry boxed goods, should be similar. I'm definitely buying more "on sale" items at HyVee as their prices are getting out of control on many other products.

One example is Gary's Quick Steak - it's the same meat used at PepperJax and was developed by the original owner of PepperJax. HyVee would run it on sale regularly for around $5.99-$6.99 a package. Now it's up to $8.99 on sale. Thankfully Sam's sells it in a 3 pack for less. Rotella's bread is usually about $4/loaf at HyVee, I think it's about $2.50 at WalMart and these are their every day prices.

We've also been shopping more at the Aldi on HWY 370. We picked up grapes on sale this past weekend for about $1.99/lb. HyVee's "sale" price was $3.99. Other things, like a head of lettuce, was $2 at each store. However, I'm really starting to watch the prices because it's almost like they're gouging on certain products. I'm pretty much buying only sale items or meat and some produce at HyVee now as they've really priced themselves out of my wallet.
We used to shop HyVee for the meat department. Ever since Fareway arrived in NW Omaha, we prefer theirs. I think Hy Vee stores are well stocked and lots of employees. Not sure I have noticed their employees being nicer than Baker's or Target, but they might have more of them. Fareway I think beats all of them all on customer service. Price is and has always been my biggest issue with Hy Vee. Interesting you might have noticed a bump up in their prices. Target and Baker's both seem to have lowered theirs in the 4th quarter.

Will be interesting in the next couple years when Kroger/Baker's opens up 2 new larger stores in Omaha. I think they will really pull from Hy Vee as they will have larger selections than the existing Baker's stores in town. Have been to the newer Kroger stores and they are really nice. Kroger is really starting to build again. They just announced they are re-entering the KC market and built a huge new store in Lawrence.
I always felt the store director at 180th & Q was too profit driven... I understand their goals, but it shouldn't be at the expense of losing customers. He ended up moving to the HWY 370 store. Ironically, I have noticed the 180th & Q store having lower prices on the same damn merchandise as 370. I've always felt that's a very crappy tactic and it's actually rather offensive to think customers are "OK" if one store location charges more for the same thing as another location. It's not like these are independently franchised and owned. Therefore, they should have consistent pricing unless there are special circumstances such as clearance, close outs, etc.

HyVee on Q St shouldn't sell a box of cereal for $5 and HWY 370 sells it for $6. Even if they can get away with it, it's deceptive and dishonest/unethical.

I'm looking forward to the new Bakers at 204th & F St because I'm hoping at the very least they may drive down prices at HyVee which is closer to my house. I can tell you I've never thought once about going to HyVee, Bakers, etc to buy clothing, cookware, etc. I'm not sure why these stores feel that's a competitive advantage because I never see anyone in these areas of the stores when I'm there.
As far as HyVee pricing varying from store to store for non-ad pricing, that has been the case for a long time. Do a fair amount of HyVee shopping and to go to a number of locations. Back when the Stockyards Hyvee was open, and I worked pretty close, they would ALWAYS win for being the highest price of any location I went to on exact items.

With aging Family, I sometimes get things for them at the Fremont location to bring a little further north when I head that way. The Fremont Hy-Vee is typically higher than any of the others I usually go to.
For the record Ā NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER Ā  Ā !!!!!!!
User avatar
Busguy2010
City Council
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: Hy-Vee

Post by Busguy2010 »

So then that would make sense as to why I haven't really been gut checked by their prices. I shop mostly Fort, Cass, and Saddle Creek, in that order. Never ever make it that far west. Maybe they do play to the demographic. If they're in an area with money, I wouldnt doubt for a second they charge more. Perhaps in the case of Fort street, the prices there aren't what they otherwise would like to be charging, because the patrons wouldnt be willing/able to spend that kind of money. If the rumor of them closing that location is still true, that'd undoubtedly be a factor as to why. I hope that isn't true, as that location is most like my style.